Pages:
Author

Topic: Are the Nvidia 3000 Series the BEST GPUs for MINING EVER?! RTX 3070, 3080, 3090 - page 4. (Read 7593 times)

Activity: 124
Merit: 13
No we can say that when GDDR6X (3080 or 3090), you'll have throttling even with a fine core temp due to memory temps who are a concern ?

No problem so far with GDDR6 of 3700 / 3060TI

Ps : Maybe the Suprim X version of the 3080 would not have memory temp problems, cause of superior cooling ?

Trio X has no temp problems . Just pwr limit due to software.
Activity: 75
Merit: 0
Gainward Phoenix RTX 3080

PL 79
Core Clock @ +0 - it's hovering around 1400MHz
Mem clock @ +1500
250W

102.2MH/s
Activity: 262
Merit: 106
No we can say that when GDDR6X (3080 or 3090), you'll have throttling even with a fine core temp due to memory temps who are a concern ?

Ps : Maybe the Suprim X version of the 3080 would not have memory temp problems, cause of superior cooling ?

Nope, uses the same heat sink setup as the 3090 I think.
See the video below for the RTX 3090 version.
https://youtu.be/UChgxyMPU5g?t=1465
Activity: 839
Merit: 100

Well guys , i decided to flash the bios of my trio X for the suprim .

PL is at 107
Mem +1200
99mhs @ 215W
Temp 45C
Gpu fan 75-80%

Been running for almost a day now no throttling .

I even hit 101 at 1400mem and 108PL with 223W but figured i’ll dial back a bit cause i have no clue how the vrm is handling this .

So from my experience i can say msi trio X does not thermal throttle but power throttles . Now if msi could release a diff bios that does not throttle the power , this card would be a great buy
Activity: 145
Merit: 10
Got the bottom rung 3090 - palit gamingpro. I have 1080 cards that have bigger heatsink than it. Surprisingly though it doesn't thermal throttle.

In AB, i've set voltage to 712mV, core to 1150, mem to 11100, PL 104%. According to GPU-Z the resulting powerdraw is 90% TDP. The moment i set PL to <90% in AB, the card starts PWR throttling.

One thing you could try is reducing your fan speed as this contributes to the card's total power draw. Reduce it until you see thermal throttling, then raise it back up
Just received a 3090 and i'm getting PWR throttling, probably similar to what you are getting.
Once MVDDC power exceeds 192W, core clock will drop and GPU-Z reports PWR in perfcap.

Core clock needs to be greater than 1100mhz or hashrates will drop (corresponding with a drop in MVDDC power). So the highest i can oc the mem is 10702mhz before it starts throttling. Raising power limit doesn't help either as the card is only reaching ~89% TDP.

Is this memory power cap a bios limitation or a hardware limitation?

figured it out, had to raise awesomeminer's power limit to >100. In awesomeminer i add a blanket 10% extra power to nvidia cards to account for power supply efficiency for more accurate electricity cost calculation. I suppose awesomeminer takes this into account and limited all my nvidia cards to 90%

Which 3090 did u get ?

Also can u try with phoenixminer and use msi AB to set ur OC . I’m curious to see it u’ll be able to replicate the problem and then fix it the same as with awesome miner .
Just received a 3090 and i'm getting PWR throttling, probably similar to what you are getting.
Once MVDDC power exceeds 192W, core clock will drop and GPU-Z reports PWR in perfcap.

Core clock needs to be greater than 1100mhz or hashrates will drop (corresponding with a drop in MVDDC power). So the highest i can oc the mem is 10702mhz before it starts throttling. Raising power limit doesn't help either as the card is only reaching ~89% TDP.

Is this memory power cap a bios limitation or a hardware limitation?

figured it out, had to raise awesomeminer's power limit to >100. In awesomeminer i add a blanket 10% extra power to nvidia cards to account for power supply efficiency for more accurate electricity cost calculation. I suppose awesomeminer takes this into account and limited all my nvidia cards to 90%
Activity: 789
Merit: 501

How did you arrive at the conclusion it's not thermal throttling?
[/quote]

Cause the core clock drops to 930 mhz as soon as the memory is above +400 . Card temp hovers around 45-50c.

When a card thermal throttles it at least gets high enough to produce heat , my trio x does not even achieve that.

I experienced today my friend xc3 ultra thermal throttling and its not at all how my card behaves . His card hit 99mhs and stayed there for 5 min before throttling and crumbling down to 85 mh while temps were reaching 70C.

Pretty sure its a power limit issue . Some have fixed that by flashing the bios with a different brand bios with higher power limit .
[/quote]

No no ! Mine was like that too.
Use GPU-Z to check the reason of the throttle.
It's Because the sensor of the GPU let you think it's cold ... but the RAM are heating badly on the other side.
Just add a fan and test ... you will have big surprise I guess
Just thinking out loud, for the cards that use 2mm-3mm thermal pads, would it make  sense to buy 1.5mm copper shiims and reduce the thickness of the thermal pads?
So just to try and disprove my theory about my trio X not thermal throttling . I took my pc into my garage where the temp is about 5c today .

All casing fans running at 90% , i have those corsair 75cfm fans .

I let it sit there for a good 20 min with nothing running , gpu was showing 13c .

Set the Mem to 1000 , base clock at 0 , gpu fan at 90%, PL at 100%

Launch mining program , hashrate did not go above 89mhs , core clock instantly went down to 930-60 after all the loading .

Unless the card is permanently throttled due to heat ptsd , i don’t see how it can be a thermal issue.

Note: also tried some other settings while i was there and results were always the same .

Sounds like that card might be acting the same way my EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 Ultra acts, try with the Power Limit set to 102 - 104% and see what happens.

I have to run my EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 Ultra with the Power Limit set to 102%, that's the only way I can get it to do 121Mh/s @300w on 731mV.

Tried that in many different scenarios , it won’t go above 102% even if i try to manually input 110 for exemple .

Last thing for me to try is what has been suggested by other people here which is to flash the bios to something else like the suprim .

I’m just very hesitant to do that cause i don’t want to scrap the card or lose the warranty .

Would msi know that i flashed a different bios if i go back to the original bios before sending them the card ?
So just to try and disprove my theory about my trio X not thermal throttling . I took my pc into my garage where the temp is about 5c today .

I let it sit there for a good 20 min with nothing running , gpu was showing 13c .

Launch mining program , hashrate did not go above 89mhs , core clock instantly went down to 930-60 after all the loading .

Unless the card is permanently throttled due to heat ptsd , i don’t see how it can be a thermal issue.

Note: also tried some other settings while i was there and results were always the same .

Sounds like that card might be acting the same way my EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 Ultra acts, try with the Power Limit set to 102 - 104% and see what happens.

I have to run my EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 Ultra with the Power Limit set to 102%, that's the only way I can get it to do 121Mh/s @300w on 731mV.
Activity: 2142
Merit: 353
Xtreme Monster
So, if you had to choose now and assuming cards would be available at MSRP, what would be your preferences for models and brands?!

Like this:?!

Brands:
RTX3060TI>RTX3080>RTX3070

Brands:
Asus>EVGA>MSI>Gigabyte

Asus and gigabyte are very similar.
Activity: 146
Merit: 4
So, if you had to choose now and assuming cards would be available at MSRP, what would be your preferences for models and brands?!

Like this:?!

Brands:
RTX3060TI>RTX3080>RTX3070

Brands:
Asus>EVGA>MSI>Gigabyte

Cause the core clock drops to 930 mhz as soon as the memory is above +400 . Card temp hovers around 45-50c.

When a card thermal throttles it at least gets high enough to produce heat , my trio x does not even achieve that.

I experienced today my friend xc3 ultra thermal throttling and its not at all how my card behaves . His card hit 99mhs and stayed there for 5 min before throttling and crumbling down to 85 mh while temps were reaching 70C.

Pretty sure its a power limit issue . Some have fixed that by flashing the bios with a different brand bios with higher power limit .

You're only looking at one temp sensor. I know because I have the same issue with mine, where gpu temp looks low but there's more under the surface. If you have software like hwinfo64/gpu-z, you may notice some entries for performance limit. This will tell you whether it's thermal or power limit hindering your performance. The general consensus seems to be memory overheating with OC, and I've noticed thermal throttle being the performance limit even with low GPU temp reported in afterburner.

Well hwinfo is showing me it’s a power limit issue . Under thermal performance it says NO . Power performance limit shows YES .

I assumed it means its not a thermal problem . Am i wrong ?

Also like i explained before , thermal throttles is not instant , ur card hits high mh’s and then throttles down . Right off the bat my card throttles to 930 core clock if memory is higher than +400. I doubt thermal throttling happens soon as u launch Phoenixminer .
legendary
Activity: 2520
Merit: 1490
In the United States, there was a farm for mining Ethereum, consisting of 78 GeForce RTX 3080 video cards produced by PNY, it took more than $100,000 while the profit can be $128,000 per year, consumes about 24 KW of power.
https://www.techarp.com/computer/crypto-mining-78-rtx-3080/

I've dumped this here from another thread, maybe this will throw some light on the issue and then the light bulb will glow above your head !

So ..... here's some info for you guys that have a new RTX 30x0 card .... this is mostly for the RTX 3080 / 90 cards.

The test below was not carried out by me, but I have managed to confirm the findings with my RTX 3090 I have.

The card used in this test -- MSI RTX 3090 Gaming.

Picture 1  --   Two heat sensors are placed on the memory chips that are on the back of the card.

Picture 2  --  This shows the card running in idle ..... nothing running, notice the temperature   33C

Picture 3  --  This shows the card mining Dagger / Ethash, the monitor on the left shows the card mining, the temperature on the memory chips climb to over 76C, this is what causes the cards to throttle down, the 3080 cards also suffer with this issue with the memory chips on the other side of the card (heat sink / fan side).
In order to get the most out of these cards, the memory chips and the VRM's need to be cooled down as much as possible.
Make sure you have plenty of air flow around the card(s) and give them space to breath.

This is my RTX3090 .....

Below is a link to an RTX 3080 video showing where the card gets hot, same applies for the RTX 3090.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAsQ0o6BsEk

Source for the pictures used above from the video below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82sf5Lk2lqA
Activity: 148
Merit: 5

You're only looking at one temp sensor. I know because I have the same issue with mine, where gpu temp looks low but there's more under the surface. If you have software like hwinfo64/gpu-z, you may notice some entries for performance limit. This will tell you whether it's thermal or power limit hindering your performance. The general consensus seems to be memory overheating with OC, and I've noticed thermal throttle being the performance limit even with low GPU temp reported in afterburner.
Pages:
Jump to: