Author

Topic: ASICMINER Speculation Thread - page 179. (Read 808757 times)

legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003
Still wild and free
July 18, 2013, 10:03:52 AM
Where has it dropped 12% - AM1 @ havelock has barely moved .... always expect a slight move down after d-day

Not the Asicminer shares, in fact they gained a bit.
He is talking about the Bitcoin/USD price.

I think a correlation is quite probably.

looks like when BTC/USD price falls, people buy AM shares to hedge their funds.
It often happens the other way, AM shares being sold when BTC goes down.

I'm guessing this jump in AM price is more likely to be speculation in anticipation of S.DICE owners looking for another good dividend stock in the coming days when they get their payout, which would raise the price of AM, probably by quite a lot if there's good news from Friedcat the same time.

The price run up is due to 1 aggressive buyer, not a larger crowd movement. However, I do anticipate some buying after the SDICE payout.

Do you know when the SDICE payout will be made?
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
July 18, 2013, 10:01:52 AM
Where has it dropped 12% - AM1 @ havelock has barely moved .... always expect a slight move down after d-day

I'm guessing this jump in AM price is more likely to be speculation in anticipation of S.DICE owners looking for another good dividend stock in the coming days when they get their payout, which would raise the price of AM, probably by quite a lot if there's good news from Friedcat the same time.

The price run up is due to 1 aggressive buyer, not a larger crowd movement. However, I do anticipate some buying after the SDICE payout.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000
July 18, 2013, 10:01:09 AM
Right now someone is buying at 4.7 btc in btct, I sold all my AM-PT shares and bought TAT at lower price and some were transferred to bitfunder to buy AM at 4.4, a good way to arbitrage.
legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1009
July 18, 2013, 10:00:12 AM
Anyone holding more than 99 fractional shares is just a fool IMAO.
Unless they're looking for price speculation and want a higher liquidity (I'm not sure which provides the best liquidity though - given how many exchanges there are with PTs and fractionals).

+1. Full shares are nicer to hold but more cumbersome to trade, IME.

Edit: IMAO = in my awesome opinion? Cool
Activity: 574
July 18, 2013, 09:43:39 AM

Activity: 504
Merit: 502
July 18, 2013, 09:40:39 AM
i.e. if price goes up you find a reason, if price goes down "it's just the market"?
makes perfect sense.

The homes of the common man shake when giants walk by.
legendary
Activity: 1064
Bitcoin is too valuable to be used as a currency
July 18, 2013, 09:36:09 AM

July 18, 2013, 09:32:11 AM

ah .... please delete my inane question Smiley
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
July 18, 2013, 09:31:04 AM

Activity: 630
Bitgoblin
July 18, 2013, 09:28:45 AM
Second, all of those shareholders who got bought out are now looking for a place to invest... and there really is nowhere else to go but ASICminer. Look for the big spike.
There are many places actually.
Not plenty of, but definitely not "just one" either.

One, now we know who was pouring literally millions into btc pushing the price up to $100. They bought Satoshidice.

And do you think today's 12% drop is related too?
+1

One, now we know who was pouring literally millions into btc pushing the price up to $100. They bought Satoshidice.

It follows as day follows night.
i.e. if price goes up you find a reason, if price goes down "it's just the market"?
makes perfect sense.
July 18, 2013, 09:27:52 AM

Bitgoblin
July 18, 2013, 09:27:35 AM
If you get 5000 shares you can become a board member
Not with TAT.AM shares, since they can't be redeemed for direct shares.
So they are actually worth even less than 95% of AM-PT.
However this is counterbalanced by the lower denomination, which allows you to buy some with spare change.
But that's what they are worth: spare change.
Anyone holding more than 99 fractional shares is just a fool IMAO.

Even the third-party risk is lower with AM-PT, since you already have to trust burnside anyway, being the owner of the trading platform.

(nothing personal against TaT, of course)
July 18, 2013, 09:12:43 AM

It follows as day follows night.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
July 18, 2013, 09:10:49 AM

July 18, 2013, 08:49:12 AM
Two points:

Second, all of those shareholders who got bought out are now looking for a place to invest... and there really is nowhere else to go but ASICminer. Look for the big spike.
legendary
Activity: 1008
July 18, 2013, 08:30:27 AM
Only the last sentence is correct.

5% price difference is what you should expect on a 5% dividend fee.

Every time you get paid, you get 5% less.

Velacreations has the right idea, and is even trying to teach you, forgoing his own advantage.

The 5% mgmt fee on dividends does not directly devalue the share by 5%. The math is not as simple as that.

Believe what you want, but those who can do better math, and those who are better at trading will just benefit more.

Share price and yield from dividend are not proportionally correlated. For example, it was not long ago that AM shares were half the price of today, and paying the same divs. Divs did not double, yet the price did.
WAT

Of course they are: if you pay 5% less, the share is *exactly* worth 5% less.

The dividend is the only thing that matters in the end:
if you are an investor you don't care about share price once you have bought it,
if you are a speculator you do care, but since for investors the price is 5% lower, it will as a consequence be lower for speculators too.

The only value in this asset is the dividend, since it bears no voting powers or whatever, anything else are just ghosts.

If you get 5000 shares you can become a board member. I assume they vote on stuff, so that would imply that the shares do have value in that sense. Also, I think most investors do care about the share price going up...
Bitgoblin
July 18, 2013, 05:42:26 AM
Only the last sentence is correct.

5% price difference is what you should expect on a 5% dividend fee.

Every time you get paid, you get 5% less.

Velacreations has the right idea, and is even trying to teach you, forgoing his own advantage.

The 5% mgmt fee on dividends does not directly devalue the share by 5%. The math is not as simple as that.

Believe what you want, but those who can do better math, and those who are better at trading will just benefit more.

Share price and yield from dividend are not proportionally correlated. For example, it was not long ago that AM shares were half the price of today, and paying the same divs. Divs did not double, yet the price did.
WAT

Of course they are: if you pay 5% less, the share is *exactly* worth 5% less.

The dividend is the only thing that matters in the end:
if you are an investor you don't care about share price once you have bought it,
if you are a speculator you do care, but since for investors the price is 5% lower, it will as a consequence be lower for speculators too.

The only value in this asset is the dividend, since it bears no voting powers or whatever, anything else are just ghosts.
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
July 17, 2013, 11:47:58 PM
asicminer so cool Grin
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
July 17, 2013, 08:29:30 PM
On a sidenote Evoorhees sold Sdice

Wait what

You heard me
Anyways it is the end of an era and mpex's jewel is gone
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2751536

So... boost in AM price as ex-S.DICE shareholders with spare BTC suddenly burning a hole in their wallets look for another security with similar dividend returns?

Sure lets run with that more investors into AM incoming  Grin
(Sidenote well I guess that helps my random prediction to come true haha a shot out of left field)

Activity: 574
July 17, 2013, 08:28:43 PM
On a sidenote Evoorhees sold Sdice

Wait what

You heard me
Anyways it is the end of an era and mpex's jewel is gone
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2751536

So... boost in AM price as ex-S.DICE shareholders with spare BTC suddenly burning a hole in their wallets look for another security with similar dividend returns?
Jump to: