Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon 6 Vs Antminer S7, which one you will choose? - page 18. (Read 38717 times)

legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
Really hope this and more company can free us from bitmain's monopoly.

The real question is when? There's no point if they don't release it soon. But if they do it will lower the price of S7's too, which would be good for the consumer regardless.
The 4.1 was nice and quiet however, so there might be interest in ditching the S7 and going with Avalon until Bitmain raise the quality of their hardware for the home oriented user...

I don't know that they have a quality problem really.   They had one where S7 some did not get full spec but they seem to have found how to fix it as they now have a batch of faster, and a batch of slower.   

But overall they ship a TON of home miners and yes there are complaints.   But people who are happy post less then someone with an issue.  So I think what  your seeing on the board is a tad twords the "bad" side of their production.

Well when i say that, i'm thinking about the cheap thermal dissipation design. Albeit better in the new S7 form factor.
The software being rickety at best and important feature are left out on purpose. For example, they removed Volt control on S4 in later firmware while its possible to hack it back in and it work just fine.
The software is ultimately low end, not very good. Compare it to the SP20.
The noise is bad, compare to Avalon 4.1, although with the fan control and low ambient temp, its not that bad, just not excellent.
The plugs are on top of the miner, so its harder to stack, if all the inputs were behind, they would be more manageable. Again this is worse with the S5 and i'm not sure with the S7, but still. Compare it to the other mentioned miners.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

The real question is when? There's no point if they don't release it soon. But if they do it will lower the price of S7's too, which would be good for the consumer regardless.
The 4.1 was nice and quiet however, so there might be interest in ditching the S7 and going with Avalon until Bitmain raise the quality of their hardware for the home oriented user...

I don't know that they have a quality problem really.   They had one where S7 some did not get full spec but they seem to have found how to fix it as they now have a batch of faster, and a batch of slower.   

But overall they ship a TON of home miners and yes there are complaints.   But people who are happy post less then someone with an issue.  So I think what  your seeing on the board is a tad twords the "bad" side of their production.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

Activity: 484
Merit: 250
legendary
Activity: 938
Thats indeed good news.
We need Bitmain competition. I just hope that Spoondolies would release a 3-4 th miner at a decent price..
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
OP DID say $315/TH in the original post - which would make it a competative unit but not insanely good at around $1050ish.

No clue where that data came from though, nothing about it on the site they posted.

legendary
2200 yuan listed on that preorder site, but dunno if that's supposed to be the FULL price or if it's just a down payment.

If it's 2200 yuan TOTAL price, that IS a "ignite price war" very good price - and my SCAMSENSE explodes.

yeah 2200 is under 400 usd even if we pay a lot to ship and end up at 500 usd.  the price is good.

my thoughts are 2 good to be true.

say 3.5 th using 1050 watts costing 500 - shipped

vs 4.8th using 1200 watts costing 1650 - shipped

based on the prices Avalon has charged this price is too low.

Sadly I would agree on the price being to low.  They charged a nice premium on their gear.

If this is true then their business model would have changed a lot.  The 4.1 was at 1.92 BTC not including shipping when they sold it out ( https://ehash.com/product/avalon4-module-1t/ )
Activity: 254
Merit: 1258
I hope Avalon will do better job on  noise level of Avalon 6, then can get more customers on the current hard situation.

Avalon 4.1 is very quiet.  It's the quietest fan miner I have had.    Hopefully they keep this aspect as it was pretty amazing on that front.

Can you link to any of the sites that show pre-orders?   I am not pre-ordering but would enjoy to see the site to see if looks creditable.
It's decently quiet but gets loud at points, seems my Antminer S5 with modded fans are possibly quieter overall.

I have 3 and have not experienced these points.   Are you overclocking or something?   I am running mine at very efficient settings.   I just have not seen a miner that matches them on quietness.  

Have ran efficient most of their life's.  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1008726.0
No, no overclock but my s5 runs about 38 db at a foot or two away, I will have to measure the Avalon on noise, it is by no means loud but occasionally spikes.

how did you get an s5 to go to 38 d?

I got 55db and 1300gh

I got 45db and 1100gh

Yeah If I clocked to 700gh 38db would have been possible.

what speed did run the s5
Antminer is averaging 974.21 and has 1,118.85 (5s)
It is at 300M frequency, running a Scythe Ultra Kaze as a pull and a Scythe Slip Stream as a push. I just measured it at 3 foot away @ 37db and that is with an S3 Hashing next to it.
Temp is at 61C
legendary
Activity: 4158
Merit: 8049
'The right to privacy matters'
2200 yuan listed on that preorder site, but dunno if that's supposed to be the FULL price or if it's just a down payment.

If it's 2200 yuan TOTAL price, that IS a "ignite price war" very good price - and my SCAMSENSE explodes.

yeah 2200 is under 400 usd even if we pay a lot to ship and end up at 500 usd.  the price is good.

my thoughts are 2 good to be true.

say 3.5 th using 1050 watts costing 500 - shipped

vs 4.8th using 1200 watts costing 1650 - shipped

based on the prices Avalon has charged this price is too low.
legendary

legendary
300w per tera vs 250w per tera, draw your own conclusions

antminer s7 is better, but i would prefer to have a mini version of it

That is the nice thing if something goes wrong you lose 1t not 4t for a period of time.    Although having 4T+ in small form factor is nice.

We really need to know price to decide anything assuming it's real.   Without price hard to decide much.
I hope Avalon will do better job on  noise level of Avalon 6, then can get more customers on the current hard situation.

Avalon 4.1 is very quiet.  It's the quietest fan miner I have had.    Hopefully they keep this aspect as it was pretty amazing on that front.

Can you link to any of the sites that show pre-orders?   I am not pre-ordering but would enjoy to see the site to see if looks creditable.
It's decently quiet but gets loud at points, seems my Antminer S5 with modded fans are possibly quieter overall.

I have 3 and have not experienced these points.   Are you overclocking or something?   I am running mine at very efficient settings.   I just have not seen a miner that matches them on quietness. 

Have ran efficient most of their life's.  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1008726.0
No, no overclock but my s5 runs about 38 db at a foot or two away, I will have to measure the Avalon on noise, it is by no means loud but occasionally spikes.
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
300w per tera vs 250w per tera, draw your own conclusions

antminer s7 is better, but i would prefer to have a mini version of it
legendary
Issues with these claims.

1) Why would Avalon skip a model 5?
 2) Why would this show up on some "preorder" site and not on Avalon's own site?
 3) Why does the picture look IDENTICAL to an Avalon 4/4.1 unit?

MY SCAMSENSE IS SCREAMING.

BTW, tranlated page link for those of us that don't read Chinese
 https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://shop.cnbite.com/product-190.html

Also they should of called it the Avalon 7 to compete with S7

This unit, IF IT ACTUALLY EXISTS, doesn't appear to be aimed at the S7 - and the "logic" of basing your name for a unit on a competition product makes ZERO sense anyway.
This unit, IF IT ACTUALLY EXISTS, appears to be aimed at where most folks EXPECTED the S7 to show up at, or even a pre-empt of a potential S9.

In any event, the naming of the XBox 360 had NOTHING to do with the nameing of any Playstation - nor did the really dumb naming of the Xbox One.
I hope Avalon will do better job on  noise level of Avalon 6, then can get more customers on the current hard situation.

Avalon 4.1 is very quiet.  It's the quietest fan miner I have had.    Hopefully they keep this aspect as it was pretty amazing on that front.

Can you link to any of the sites that show pre-orders?   I am not pre-ordering but would enjoy to see the site to see if looks creditable.
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708
CoinPoker.com
This is good but I highly doubt they will be cheaper than the S7 due to the prior sales prices.

The noise in the past would a great benefit but there is no reason to assume that the Avalon 6 will be quiet.

Also they should of called it the Avalon 7 to compete with S7 for the same reason why the 2nd Xbox was called Xbox 360 to compete with the 3rd generation of Playstation (PS3)

legendary
Activity: 4158
Merit: 8049
'The right to privacy matters'

Have ran efficient most of their life's.  https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/review-avalon-41-miner-summer-mining-notlist3d-1008726

how did you get an s5 to go to 38 d?

I got 55db and 1300gh

I got 45db and 1100gh

Yeah If I clocked to 700gh 38db would have been possible.

what speed did run the s5
legendary

Have ran efficient most of their life's.  https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/review-avalon-41-miner-summer-mining-notlist3d-1008726

Yea measure them and let us know.  I would be interested in hearing it.   I think something is off with your unit if your getting these spikes that are making it louder then a S5 even modified.

You might check your fan and see if something's wrong.   I have 3 and do not experience the spikes on any of them.  All were bought directly from avalon (e-hash) not second hand.    But I even had them running in my bedroom they were so quiet.  Only miner I have done this with.  
legendary

legendary
I would stay far away from Avalon given my experience with them.  I won't buy one of their miners again.

Is your experience from the early avalons?  I'm guessing so with that.

I ordered some 4.1's from when I did a guide for it.   All went fine when I ordered from ehash.   But I realize that is different then those who dealt with original avalon.
Pages:
Jump to: