Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 17. (Read 438516 times)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250
Co-Owner Of DCMCo-Op Mining Farm at 3.5 th/s
May 01, 2014, 04:47:09 AM
Ok all

Please understand something

Not All current Versions of the Firmware will work for all avalons

if you have a Avalon2 Clone ( Also called the chinese Clone ) then you can only use a certain Firmware

I know this because I also work with avalon to build the Firmware for the Avalon Based Hardware

If your Firmware Has the Option in the Miner Config page to choose between the 110nm chipset and the 55nm chipset then you must use the Same Based Firmware

You can not change to a newer Firmware that no longer has that option, as the Avalon Based hardware driver has changed

If anyone needs help with their issues Please PM me and let me know what kind of Miner you have if you can Even Link a Pic of it then that would help

Please also let me know if you have teamviewer installed as this way i can connect ( with you watching to see that i am doing nothing wrong or sinister ) and repair your system.

You can Look through this thread and see that i have Helped Many People this way and gotten their systems Fixed and Back up and running

Thanks All
GJPMiningCo
Avalon Firmware Creator
Avalon Hardware Tech.
Avalon Tech Support Rep
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
@theshmadz
April 30, 2014, 09:07:24 PM
I have a feb 18 order batch 2 avalon, haven't touched the firmware since I added a 4th card. I think.

running firmware 20130821

I'm going to be setting this up in a remote location (bye bye to my first ASIC,  Cry ) and I was thinking of upgrading the firmware before I drop it off. so of course I came here, and then there seems to be different firmwares for each model and it's a little confusing.

I was getting about 100 GH/s reported at btcguild I think I was running at about 330 Mhz

Should I even bother upgrading firmware? I don't like to touch a nicely running setup, but it's going to a new home now and I'd like to just run it on auto and have it at least somewhat quiet. (I've been running at 100% fans for almost a year now and I know the new caretakers of my baby will not put up with that.)

any suggestions?
Activity: 11
Merit: 0
April 28, 2014, 11:26:46 AM
I tried flashing various version of Avalon 2 firmware. the working one is

http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/avalon/20131229/

the latest from canaan wont work. it wont start hashing (socket failed). but i can ping/traceroute with no packet loss

what have been done so far.

a) flashing newest firmware, various version firmware - cannot work
b) using stock clock 1300 - cannot work, so I suspect the overclock (1400) issue/ heat is not the problem. after all the temp around 23-26C.
c) connect using wifi disable lan, connect with lan disable the wifi - cannot work

right now using http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/avalon/20131229/ firmware. it hash, but I cannot guarantee it will last forever. normally 2-3 days it will stop hashing, but recently it hardly hash for 12 hours.

before this

a) hash for 2-3 days. when it stop hashing, on/off required to resume. soft reboot wont work

now

a) hash for around hours but I able to start hash again with only soft reboot. no need on/off after using

http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/avalon/20131229/

I can share using teamviewer if anyone interested to investigate. i read the log but I cannot understand entirely  Huh Huh Huh
Activity: 14
April 28, 2014, 11:09:15 AM
I mean is it possible that you PSU could be failing, Have you been monitoring the temps, it could be also that the unit is shutting the hashing units down due to over heating

the unit is in server room. Temp less than 30C. I checked the cgminer log, when it stop hashing it says socket connect failed: Connection refused. If I on/off again the miner, it will hash. If I'm lucky it can hash about 2-3 days non stop. later on it stop hashing. and the log says socket connect failed: Connection refused

Diagnostic ping/traceroute are all ok. no packet loss

I have upgrade the firmware to the latest one. this is Avalon 2 55nm

That is strange... do you get the socket refused & can still ping at the same time?  I had the same problem and I had to delete a symlink in the /etc directory that was somehow messing things up.  Could it be a problem with the controller?  I heard TP-Links can have crash problems like that and u have to reboot them.
April 28, 2014, 04:38:43 AM
I mean is it possible that you PSU could be failing, Have you been monitoring the temps, it could be also that the unit is shutting the hashing units down due to over heating

the unit is in server room. Temp less than 30C. I checked the cgminer log, when it stop hashing it says socket connect failed: Connection refused. If I on/off again the miner, it will hash. If I'm lucky it can hash about 2-3 days non stop. later on it stop hashing. and the log says socket connect failed: Connection refused

Diagnostic ping/traceroute are all ok. no packet loss

I have upgrade the firmware to the latest one. this is Avalon 2 55nm
April 28, 2014, 04:22:39 AM
April 27, 2014, 07:26:45 PM
my avalon once in a while stop hashing as well (2-3 days or sometimes once in 5 days). FW version 3.10.12. reboot cannot make it work, the only way to start hashing by disconnecting the power supply and switch it on again. is it FW issues?

It could be a Firmware issue but it is Hard to Say

updated to the latest firmware. but still after 2-3 days it stop hashing. I need to on/off the supply to get it start hashing again. soft reboot just not work. any possibilities on the power supply issues? the unit comes with cooler master ex2 625w for 2 units
April 27, 2014, 10:55:02 AM
LOL well... after all that work, I managed to figure out the net config problems and get the OpenWRT to work just as it is intended!  The bad news?  I just realized that this is a batch 1 Avalon not a 2!!!  So the avalon 2 firmware seems to be useless to me!  It ends up that I have an Avalon 1, and I can get it mining with the Debian Wheezy SD card it came with, but only by SSH... and I would love to have a web interface.  Is this possible?  Because all the firmwares I see on the site are for the TP-Link controller which I do not have, and have heard it has crash issues.

How difficult is it to get the Avalon 1 working with a nice web ui and overclock options on a raspberry pi controller?  Possible?

--edit--

Also I would like newest firmware because I don't think the person I bought this older miner from ever updated it... and that is another reason I want to flash a new system to the SD.

Specs:

Avalon 1
4 Module (20-25GH per) = 100GH average

I can help you no problem Please msg me when your online and ready
April 26, 2014, 04:00:41 PM
LOL well... after all that work, I managed to figure out the net config problems and get the OpenWRT to work just as it is intended!  The bad news?  I just realized that this is a batch 1 Avalon not a 2!!!  So the avalon 2 firmware seems to be useless to me!  It ends up that I have an Avalon 1, and I can get it mining with the Debian Wheezy SD card it came with, but only by SSH... and I would love to have a web interface.  Is this possible?  Because all the firmwares I see on the site are for the TP-Link controller which I do not have, and have heard it has crash issues.

How difficult is it to get the Avalon 1 working with a nice web ui and overclock options on a raspberry pi controller?  Possible?

--edit--

Also I would like newest firmware because I don't think the person I bought this older miner from ever updated it... and that is another reason I want to flash a new system to the SD.

Specs:

Avalon 1
4 Module (20-25GH per) = 100GH average
April 26, 2014, 01:13:38 AM
I can help you i am still here
I sent you a msg on bitmessage also
April 26, 2014, 12:33:48 AM
Ugh, just when I think I finally got it... the dang OpenWRT will not connect to the outside internet...  cant ping, cant tracert, cant lookup nameserver... can't mine Sad
April 25, 2014, 08:22:55 PM
ok thanks I will message you.

--edit--

Thanks for the offer, but I must have missed you.  I think I finally got what I was doing wrong!  I was treating openwrt as any normal flavor of linux, but it is far from it... its more like it just turns  your pi into a fancied router that can mine bitcoin.  Just incase someone stumbles over this thread I will put the instructions I wish I had.

--If your Avalon is not running OpenWRT and you want the latest firmware/cgminer--

How to get OpenWRT mining on your Raspberry pi (or at least what I did and seemed to work):

Download one of the images of openwrt from firmware page (I used the sd-ext4)
Download the raspberry pi root folder archive
Flash the openwrt image to your card
Plug it into your computer with an ethernet cord and enable that connection (disable others) & log in using Putty > telnet connection: 192.168.1.1
type passwd and set the root password
exit putty
take the sd card back out of the pi
boot a linux distro on your PC with the SD card connected to the PC
download / move the raspberrypi root filesystem archive to linux
open a terminal as superuser and or sudo nautilus
overwrite the old sd card filesystem / replace files with the one from the archive
navigate to the /etc/conf folder and set the network settings to what you would set a normal static IP client on your network as (not as a router)
you can now log into the web configuration by typing the IP you just set in the network conf files

After that it is pretty self explanatory... miner settings are right there in the web config as well as many other things.

Thanks to everyone on these boards or I never would have figured it out

April 25, 2014, 08:12:30 PM
I can help you via Teamviewer if you want
April 25, 2014, 08:08:29 PM
I don't know whats wrong with what I am doing... after hours of searching and trial and error I just can't get a bootable firmware on my raspberry pi!  There are many img files in the firmware section and a "rootfs" file... I just cant seem to get openwrt to do anything!  Can you boot and log into it with SSH like any other distro or am I missing something?  There are no clear instructions on flashing a rpi from windows with current firmware and set up my avalon 4 module 100gh.

Any help would be so appreciated and first guy to give me the correct method gets .02 btc!  I am desperate.
Activity: 120
Merit: 100
April 25, 2014, 03:01:55 AM
Avalon2/Avalon3: A new firmware come out: 2014-04-23

Downloads:
    http://downloads.canaan-creative.com/software/avalon2/2014-04-23

ChangeLog:
    Update CGminer from 4.0.0 to 4.3.0 (You may want read document on --config option)
    Update OpenWrt to r40351 (Linux version 3.10.34)
    Fix a bug that may cause hashrate lose.
    Support 703N, 1043ND-V2 and RaspBerry Pi
    Detect Avalon power good signal in cgminer
    Display GHS(not MHS) on cgminer status page
    Add some text for support both Avalon2 and Avalon3
    Support frequency setting for Avalon2 and Avalon3 chips on cgminer configuration page
    Support voltage setting for Avalon2 and Avalon3 chips on cgminer configuration page

Communicate:
    http://lists.canaan-creative.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo
    IRC: #avalon

Documents:
    https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Avalon

Xiangfu

April 19, 2014, 02:52:55 AM
my avalon once in a while stop hashing as well (2-3 days or sometimes once in 5 days). FW version 3.10.12. reboot cannot make it work, the only way to start hashing by disconnecting the power supply and switch it on again. is it FW issues?

It could be a Firmware issue but it is Hard to Say
April 19, 2014, 12:59:35 AM
April 18, 2014, 06:11:30 PM
Sounds like the PSU is on it's last legs
Activity: 1
April 18, 2014, 05:52:20 PM
Hi all,

I have a Avalon 2nd gen 220ghs device that had been working without any issues for a month. Couple of days back I noticed that the hashing had gone down to 0 and "orange" light was on where it used to be "red" light. I noticed that the PSU fan was not running so i just restarted the device and it started to hash again.

In the last couple of days this thing of "red" light turning "orange" and the PSU fans not running has increased. I have attached pics of how it looks. I was worried that it might become worse so i have it shutdown now. I am not sure if this the avalon controller board prob or PSU and it would be great if someone could help troubleshoot.

F/W ver: 5th Mar 2014

Images are here: http://imgur.com/hsKN2XD, http://imgur.com/D751szp
Activity: 86
Merit: 10
April 14, 2014, 11:54:10 PM
Things were humming along, then rig stopped working with the:
[Firmware Version] => 20140324
cgminer: 698d677
cgminer-openwrt-packages: aadd747+
luci: 346e3e7+
Socket connect failed: Connection refused

Errors, after reboot connects for a moment but never hashing all discarded.  Then error returns and cgminer process ends.

Tried diff IPs, updating firmware (currently on 20140324), diff pools, etc.  Ping/tracrt/nslookup all working.

Where to go from here?  If you get it running again, I'll point to your acct for the rest of the day.

Hello , i had the same problem , it says 0.0mhs . It is the power supply , you got to trust me and change it, the fans dont work right?
Fans were working properly, after PS swap the boards started hashing again.

U welcome then!
Pages:
Jump to: