Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon Nano 3 [unofficial thread] - page 7. (Read 2066 times)

Activity: 13
Merit: 2
January 09, 2024, 09:59:26 AM
I got 2, so i will proceed to a teardown in photos and video with one of them as fast as i can.

For the moment, it seems that canaan is listening their customers. we will see in the next weeks if they do what they said, but for the moment, its a good point.

On the telegram, i've learned today that they are also working on a bigger version designed for home miners.

can't wait to see the "technological war" between canaan and the bitaxe hex community.

This is good for us.
Activity: 882
Merit: 5818
not your keys, not your coins!
January 09, 2024, 08:36:32 AM
So far I've not seen anything in the specs stating it uses the Braiins pool. Where is that said?

edit: Found it, it is on the indiegogo site
Each Avalon Nano 3 comes with a QR Code for registration of an account with the Braiins Pool. The stratum URL of the Braiins pool, including the username, has been configured and will match your account automatically.

That blows.
 A. I hate the idea of using QR codes as it largely requires using a 'smartphone'.
 B. there damn well better be a way to access the miner gui via a browser vs a smartphone.
I fully agree. I'm already thinking about ways to change the pool. It really depends on how tightly integrated the controller is. If it runs software that just connects to a pool over Stratum, it should be possible to replace the URL and get it running. We shall see; I got one and will report what I can, as soon as I get it.

It seems that, even if it was not initially considered, it will be possible to solo mine and change the pool. the software update should take several months to be released, according to the idiegogo discussion and the canaan shop telegram. 
Indeed, just saw it:

Dear Christian, you can change the pool if you want in Nano3. We support strutam V1. And a better experience is that you can change the pool via our App. The app will be released soon.
I'd still want it not to be app / smartphone-based or at least have the option to do everything from a web browser. I guess there's an opportunity for some hacking here.. Wink
Activity: 13
Merit: 2
January 09, 2024, 07:10:42 AM
It seems that, even if it was not initially considered, it will be possible to solo mine and change the pool. the software update should take several months to be released, according to the idiegogo discussion and the canaan shop telegram. 
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6231
Crypto Swap Exchange
January 08, 2024, 01:33:59 PM
The old antrouter and the heatbits were locked to certain pools. But hacking around that is (was) somewhat trivial.
It depends how much time & effort they put into locking it down and how much of a controller they have onboard.
If they took the cheapest - slowest - most basic SBC they could find to run it, then a fixed firmware setup that does not even have a GUI might be what you get.
OTOH, if they are using something that runs the full setup that they have on their regular miners then it's a different story.

Will have to wait and see.

-Dave
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
January 08, 2024, 11:32:17 AM
checked this out, if it wasn't fixed to brains it would be good for solo ckpool mining
wonder what the custom firmware is possible on this
wish bitmain would jump on this boat and use some proper efficient 16W/T s21 chips
My 1st guess is that the FW is Canaan's FMS which is what they've used from the A10xx on up.
So far I've not seen anything in the specs stating it uses the Braiins pool. Where is that said?

edit: Found it, it is on the indiegogo site
Each Avalon Nano 3 comes with a QR Code for registration of an account with the Braiins Pool. The stratum URL of the Braiins pool, including the username, has been configured and will match your account automatically.

That blows.
 A. I hate the idea of using QR codes as it largely requires using a 'smartphone'.
 B. there damn well better be a way to access the miner gui via a browser vs a smartphone.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
January 08, 2024, 11:26:13 AM
I am trying to get two of them I will post if I do.
Activity: 131
Merit: 16
January 08, 2024, 11:19:39 AM
checked this out, if it wasn't fixed to brains it would be good for solo ckpool mining

wonder what the custom firmware is possible on this

wish bitmain would jump on this boat and use some proper efficient 16W/T s21 chips
Activity: 882
Merit: 5818
not your keys, not your coins!
January 08, 2024, 04:18:45 AM
Since I couldn't find any thread with the keyword 'Avalon Nano 3' here, I decided to create one from scratch.

There is this post in the Marketplace section by the user Canaan Online Shop: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/avalon-nano-3-is-on-a-big-sale-5480362

Official product page: https://shop.canaan.io/products/avalon-nano-3
Hashrate: 4TH/s
Efficiency: 29J/TH
Price: ~100$ USD
Power consumption: max. 140W

This brings it on par in terms of efficiency with devices like the Avalon A1346 (see reference table below) and has a really decent hashrate (enough to get paid out from a pool in a reasonable timeframe), while just costing you about $100 USD (plus PSU).

Here's a non-exhaustive overview [lower is better] of some popular industrial miners' efficiency over the years / generations. It's important to take into account that it is an extremely difficult process to get your hands on bare ASIC chips in the first place and reverse-engineer them in order to get them running in your own product. Home miners have always been 'lagging behind' in this regard, since none of the companies building them, develop or manufacture their own chips.
  • ~100W/TH Bitmain S9
  • ~80W/TH Futurebit Apollo BTC
  • ~50W/TH Bitmain S17
  • ~50W/TH Termius R909
  • ~35W/TH Bitmain S19 / Whatsminer M30S+
  • ~30W/TH: Canaan Avalon A1346 / Whatsminer M50 / M53 / M56
  • ~25W/TH: Canaan Avalon A1366 / A1446 / Bitmain S19k Pro
  • ~20W/TH: Canaan Avalon A1466 / Bitmain S19XP / Whatsminer M60 / M63 / M66 / Bitmain T21
  • <20W/TH: WhatsMiner M60S / M63S / M66S / Bitmain S21

It looks like the chassis is designed to be used as a space heater replacement, which I think is a brilliant idea. Reusing heat from home mining has always been something people do to fight the lower efficiency found in these micro-miners, compared to buying the latest and greatest industrial ASIC. However, this is the first time I see something that ticks all of the following boxes.
  • Created by a 'big ASIC maker', i.e. access to more recent ASIC chips with higher efficiency
  • Designed to be used for heating out-of-the-box (no modifications needed)
  • Extremely affordable
  • Decent hashrate

To put things into context: a couple years ago, $250 got you a USB stick miner, and now we're getting a whole 'finished product' kind of device for half the price. I think it's clear that I'm really excited to get this one into my hands.
What are your guys' thoughts on this?

Downsides I see right now:
  • Apparently fixed to Braiins pool
  • Remote control over the device = privacy nightmare?
  • Closed source / limited control over the machine compared to something that runs off cgminer
Pages:
Jump to: