Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon Nano 3 [unofficial thread] - page 6. (Read 2066 times)

legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
January 24, 2024, 02:17:36 PM
Sure, you can stack those sats and sell them in the future when they're worth more, but then you could also just buy small portions of BTC every day.
That is true. How much Bitcoin could I earn by directly purchasing $15 per month of BTC; or how much BTC would collect in a month with mining having the same cost.
Purchasing BTC directly is usually going to be cheaper than mining with most micro-miners and residential electricity.

About 4TH would give you how much BTC currently, for an average month? So a few sums up, you get around 0.00024465 BTC / 9.62 USD. Less than buying directly.
Exactly; that's true (even more true) with comparable devices, though. As shown in the efficiency chart from my original post, only the last few generations of industrial miners have a lower energy per hash ratio, i.e. higher hashrate per unit of power. And again, residential electricity prices suck, especially in Europe.

BUT, you can see things differently. If you run the nano 3 at 65W, on a "solo pool", it will cost you 8.22$/month, and you will earn zero. However, if you find a block (you are a very lucky man) it will be ~4BTC instant.(after halving).
It is a lottery ticket that run every 10 minutes.
I don't think it's possible to change the pool you see predefined on the equipment. At least for now.
They did already change it; I wrote about that on page 1. Lottery mining is definitely an option, or just mine 'at a loss' i.e. lose some $ compared to DCA, but help with decentralizing hashpower. See it as a cheap contribution to the stability of Bitcoin. Also consider you still 'get' the heat output, if you have a need for it.

I checked out buying one it appeared to be 100+37 shipping+25tip = 162 usd

I will likely run a 1 board s19 instead or a 2 board whatsminer m50
Activity: 882
Merit: 5818
not your keys, not your coins!
January 24, 2024, 12:49:24 PM
Sure, you can stack those sats and sell them in the future when they're worth more, but then you could also just buy small portions of BTC every day.
That is true. How much Bitcoin could I earn by directly purchasing $15 per month of BTC; or how much BTC would collect in a month with mining having the same cost.
Purchasing BTC directly is usually going to be cheaper than mining with most micro-miners and residential electricity.

About 4TH would give you how much BTC currently, for an average month? So a few sums up, you get around 0.00024465 BTC / 9.62 USD. Less than buying directly.
Exactly; that's true (even more true) with comparable devices, though. As shown in the efficiency chart from my original post, only the last few generations of industrial miners have a lower energy per hash ratio, i.e. higher hashrate per unit of power. And again, residential electricity prices suck, especially in Europe.

BUT, you can see things differently. If you run the nano 3 at 65W, on a "solo pool", it will cost you 8.22$/month, and you will earn zero. However, if you find a block (you are a very lucky man) it will be ~4BTC instant.(after halving).
I don't think it's possible to change the pool you see predefined on the equipment. At least for now.
They did already change it; I wrote about that on page 1. Lottery mining is definitely an option, or just mine 'at a loss' i.e. lose some $ compared to DCA, but help with decentralizing hashpower. See it as a cheap contribution to the stability of Bitcoin. Also consider you still 'get' the heat output, if you have a need for it.
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 4508
**In BTC since 2013**
January 24, 2024, 09:35:05 AM

But, without a doubt, it is a different analytical perspective. If it is possible, it would even be interesting to try. Roll Eyes
Activity: 13
Merit: 2
January 24, 2024, 04:55:06 AM
How much Bitcoin could I earn by directly purchasing $15 per month of BTC; or how much BTC would collect in a month with mining having the same cost.

on coinwarz.com, you can calculate that, today, with 4TH/s you can earn ~700 sat /day. but it will turn to ~400sat/day after the halving in april.

you can use exchanges like crypto.com or Bybit that allow you to DCA with little amount. You can set the frequency, the amount, and the duration.

Now, 15bucks are approximately 35000 sats. it is better that 700x30 = 21000 sats with mining.

legendary
January 23, 2024, 04:32:21 PM

yeah if kraken.com is allowed in your country you could put cash in say 100 euro every 4 months

buy 25 euro a month

do this for a year and pull the coins out 2 times a year.
legendary
**In BTC since 2013**
January 23, 2024, 04:23:23 PM

January 23, 2024, 10:56:01 AM
No... I use the heater very little. So, in reality it would be an extra daily consumption.
I'm not sure if this device would allow to run 'only when needed' e.g. controlled by a thermostat or a schedule.

The consumption is 140w per hour, right?
Should be around the 100W mark, so if you run it 24/7 at $0.17 per kWh, that's 12 bucks a month.

Well, accounts can also vary based on the value of Bitcoin. Today it may not be very profitable and tomorrow it will be.
I'd like to reiterate that (especially low-power) home mining is typically not going to turn a profit. Due to residential energy prices, proportionally higher purchase price of small miners and older ASIC chips used.
legendary
**In BTC since 2013**
January 23, 2024, 09:41:59 AM
The problem is with my energy cost, which is around €0.17/kWh. Do I think it will be viable? Undecided
It depends; if you have a shed or a small guest bathroom that is heated with electricity anyway for instance, you don't burn any more money when switching from a resistive to a 'semiconductor-based' electric heater.

No... I use the heater very little. So, in reality it would be an extra daily consumption.

The consumption is 140w per hour, right?
Well, accounts can also vary based on the value of Bitcoin. Today it may not be very profitable and tomorrow it will be.
January 23, 2024, 05:07:03 AM
The problem is with my energy cost, which is around €0.17/kWh. Do I think it will be viable? Undecided
It depends; if you have a shed or a small guest bathroom that is heated with electricity anyway for instance, you don't burn any more money when switching from a resistive to a 'semiconductor-based' electric heater.

I just checked their Indiegogo updates page and there was an update only a few minutes ago. They make the housing in other colors now, which I find unnecessary, but what's more exciting is that they finished making some demo units and started production.
January 23, 2024, 04:15:03 AM
I made some calculus. And for me, now, this tiny miner is super exciting

https://i.ibb.co/BLyF380/Capture-d-cran-2024-01-23-090144.png
January 22, 2024, 05:28:14 AM
Has anyone here bought it? What platform did you buy from?
I bought 2 on indiegogo. But the delivery occur in a month
legendary
**In BTC since 2013**
January 20, 2024, 07:38:36 PM
I found the proposal very interesting. Although it is not extremely profitable (currently), it can be a minimally simple way to mine BTC.

Has anyone here bought it? What platform did you buy from?

I also found it interesting, although in my country most of the year, I don't need a radiator.
January 19, 2024, 08:14:34 AM
It's true that being able to mine and understand how it works and get that knowledge is better. But not everyone wants to understand how it works.
That's not what I was saying; even if you don't want to know how it works for yourself, by supporting a project like Bitaxe, you allow devs and people who are interested in it, to continue working on open-source ASIC miners and expose this knowledge to more and more such people. This will ultimately ensure home miners (like yourself) will be able to purchase reasonably efficient home miners at reasonable prices years down the road.

I was interested until I saw it was locked to Braiins.  Then was like nah..
Apparently they're ditching that and adding regular Stratum v2 configs, but we shall see.

But i also consider that more powerful miners, in the 500-1500W range could be more effective in therms of price per TH/s
I have 2 KD-lite asic, with a 900W "low power" mode and 1300W "hashrate" mode. they are great !
Low power is very quiet.

maybe the loki plebs design are the correct way in this range at the end of the day.
Sure, I showed above that there are sub-20W/TH miners nowadays like the WhatsMiner M60S. But with 1kW you're looking at 10x the power cost and you have to see whether you can really pay that every month.

It's not a design thing, it's an ASIC chip thing. If you have the latest chips on the latest node, you'll have the best efficiency. A Bitmain S17 has the same efficiency as a Terminus R909.
January 19, 2024, 05:51:03 AM
That's cool, but in my humble opinion, 100W is a really good sweet spot for home mining.

I totally agree. Moreover, in some cases, it allow to solo mine without worries

But i also consider that more powerful miners, in the 500-1500W range could be more effective in therms of price per TH/s
I have 2 KD-lite asic, with a 900W "low power" mode and 1300W "hashrate" mode. they are great !
Low power is very quiet.

maybe the loki plebs design are the correct way in this range at the end of the day.

Meanwhile Bitaxe is open-source, which creates open access to information / knowledge of how to make your own miner and as such ensures ASIC miner production will not become fully centralized, so ultimately it ensures people will continue to be able to home mine.

I think both are great because they will allow many creative design for various usage
January 19, 2024, 04:25:12 AM
I understood that this brand was working on a bigger heater. Could someone give me the address of their Telegram or Discord?

https://t.me/canaanofficialshop
legendary
January 18, 2024, 09:19:45 PM
On the telegram, i've learned today that they are also working on a bigger version designed for home miners.
That's cool, but in my humble opinion, 100W is a really good sweet spot for home mining.

can't wait to see the "technological war" between canaan and the bitaxe hex community.
I personally don't hope there will be a 'war' because these are very different products. Canaan has access to latest-gen ASIC chips and provides a finished, but closed-source, possibly pool-locked product at an incredibly affordable price.

Meanwhile Bitaxe is open-source, which creates open access to information / knowledge of how to make your own miner and as such ensures ASIC miner production will not become fully centralized, so ultimately it ensures people will continue to be able to home mine.
Keep in mind that Canaan building a home miner is a first from a big company like that and while it's nice, we don't want to rely / trust them to continue making these devices in the future.

That's why I'd hate for the Bitaxe project to be out-priced or otherwise harmed by big corporations' alternative products. What you get with Bitaxe is not just an ASIC miner, but the knowledge & ability to make it yourself and therefore somewhat secured access to home mining.

100 watt is okay
locked to braiins not so good.

I was going to get 4 of them run one to ckpool and 3 to viabtc on some junk sha256 coin xec

I can afford 400 watts a day for the rest of my life

Activity: 32
Merit: 5
January 18, 2024, 02:26:16 PM
I was interested until I saw it was locked to Braiins.  Then was like nah..
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
January 18, 2024, 02:37:49 AM
On the telegram, i've learned today that they are also working on a bigger version designed for home miners.

can't wait to see the "technological war" between canaan and the bitaxe hex community.
I personally don't hope there will be a 'war' because these are very different products. Canaan has access to latest-gen ASIC chips and provides a finished, but closed-source, possibly pool-locked product at an incredibly affordable price.

Keep in mind that Canaan building a home miner is a first from a big company like that and while it's nice, we don't want to rely / trust them to continue making these devices in the future.

That's why I'd hate for the Bitaxe project to be out-priced or otherwise harmed by big corporations' alternative products. What you get with Bitaxe is not just an ASIC miner, but the knowledge & ability to make it yourself and therefore somewhat secured access to home mining.

It's true that being able to mine and understand how it works and get that knowledge is better. But not everyone wants to understand how it works. I think that the current situation is good competition and allows us to maximize decentralization by addressing as many people as possible.

The heating idea is a really great idea.

I understood that this brand was working on a bigger heater. Could someone give me the address of their Telegram or Discord?

January 15, 2024, 08:03:51 AM

January 11, 2024, 09:37:35 AM
For Bitcoin home miners, imo, there is two schools that can coexist :

• Solo/lottery miners
  • and Pool (regular) miners

These 2 types have different needs.
As canaan is working on another model for home mining, and hopefully, maybe other brands will consider working on it, it could be wise to explicit the waited specifications for both types isn't it ?
Even if its smell the wishfulthinking  Grin

So, first, pleb miners doesn't have the industrial price for electricity. For example, in france, the common price is 22.7cts€/kwh (~0.21$us) and very good price is average 13cts€/kwh. And, if it seems high, it is one of the lower price in europe for everyday people.

Solo/lottery miners
In this context, the power consumption have to be kept low. 150W seems the maximum, because it keep the electric bill and heat production low, for 24/7/365 operation.
A special focus on the noise. It have to be extremely low, so you can run it wherever you want, even dormroom.
this kind of tiny miners have to be able to mine through a local node or a stratum. they should connect through wifi and remain cheap, regarding their tiny hashrate.
finaly, the efficiency is important. People are ok to fight, against swords, but not with a foam knife.

concerning the "classic" pool miners
the power should be in a range between 500-1500W.
It is a correct power to remain the noise below 50dB, and be able to heat an appartment in winter, without being a nightmare to cool on summer.
If people want more power, they just buy multiple devices.
In a sens, they should be "rain proof", because, during summer, many people leaves their asic outside (on a balcony for example) and rain can sometime be an issue.

Imo, design is not very revelant for things like that, but the price and efficiency (considering the additional cost to keep the noise low) remain the two major points.

What do you think about that ?
Do i forgot something ?

Pages:
Jump to: