Pages:
Author

Topic: [BETA] BPIP Extension - user info add-on / extension for Firefox, Chrome, et al - page 5. (Read 7827 times)

legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 6415
Farewell, Leo
Where's BPIP extension's source code? I want to read how to add content on a loaded forum page (e.g., "View Archive"), because apparently stackoverflow doesn't seem to help.

I'm almost done with Lightning forum tips.  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
I'm getting in early with the patent for the Sats Cycling Club.
legendary
Farewell, Leo
There's something telling me there are going to be sat whores. Like, a lot.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
we have a dusted bag full of these somewhere around here that can help.  Tongue
We're going to need a childboard in Reputation for all the Sats Abuse reports.
legendary
Farewell, Leo
(it wouldn't even be possible without some centralized tracking)
It could be possible if:
  • Users declared their lightning nodes.
  • We all used a third party and didn't utilize onion routing.

I know, big no.

I am not sure if we need any extra extension for that. In fact all we need is just a kind of on-mouse-over pop-up with a qrcode based on predefined user address.
As said, we can't change the forum software (AKA, main layer), but we can build on top of it. Yes, a popup was what I was also thinking.

I don't think a QR code helps - you'd need a phone (or a second phone if you're browsing the forum on your phone).
It can give you the LNURL in both QR and text.

Also, I'd like to be a Sats Source!
Even if they can't be created out of thin air, we have a dusted bag full of these somewhere around here that can help.  Tongue
legendary
if an LN address is present
You mean like a LNURL?

Yeah I know but I would have thought that "someone wants to give you money with no strings attached" could be an exception (I mean who doesn't want money?). Perhaps not though.
I remember the case where I high ranking veteran user got (temp) banned for sending users a dust amount of altcoin. With LN, it can still be a dust amount, and if someone reports it, the bot might get banned.

This looks very nice! Theymos, if you're reading this: I want this! Also, I'd like to be a Sats Source!
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
I am not sure if we need any extra extension for that. In fact all we need is just a kind of on-mouse-over pop-up with a qrcode based on predefined user address. Could be in post section or on user's profile page. For amount - there could be a range, no?
https://github.com/fiatjaf/lnurl-rfc/blob/luds/06.md

This kind of change is very unlikely to be implemented on the forum itself (we still have long-dead messenger addresses on the user profile) so an extension or a user script is needed to add stuff to forum's HTML.

I don't think a QR code helps - you'd need a phone (or a second phone if you're browsing the forum on your phone).
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1367
I am not sure if we need any extra extension for that. In fact all we need is just a kind of on-mouse-over pop-up with a qrcode based on predefined user address. Could be in post section or on user's profile page. For amount - there could be a range, no?
https://github.com/fiatjaf/lnurl-rfc/blob/luds/06.md
legendary
Merits are stated publicly, though. Tipping with Lightning is private and therefore can't be used alternatively as merits, unless we introduce third parties. I don't care much from the rest to know that I've donated; as long as the receiver knows it:

I don't mean the tip amounts should be displayed publicly (it wouldn't even be possible without some centralized tracking). Just that the button/link/whatever is next to +Merit. If you think the post is good enough for merit, it's likely good for tipping, is what I'm getting at.
legendary
Farewell, Leo
I think the hypothetical tipping option could be added to the "Merit a post" page, or the "+Merit" could be changed to "Merit or tip" (in case someone has no merits to send but has sats)
Merits are stated publicly, though. Tipping with Lightning is private and therefore can't be used alternatively as merits, unless we introduce third parties. I don't care much from the rest to know that I've donated; as long as the receiver knows it:

It could also be modded to search for a BTC mainnet address as well.
Tipping less than 10,000 sats shouldn't be done on-chain, IMO. But, yeah. It can easily work by searching your bitcoin address.
legendary
I'd expect a different, more valid response like "We should be realistic, very few posts are worth to tip".  Tongue

I think the hypothetical tipping option could be added to the "Merit a post" page, or the "+Merit" could be changed to "Merit or tip" (in case someone has no merits to send but has sats), and we do find meritable posts so there should be at least that many "tippable" too Smiley

How about a small link/icon in the existing extension, to a third party website that processes the tipping?

Sure, that'd be fine I think, as long as the third party doesn't require some excessive invasion of privacy or something like that.

It's unsolicited:

Yeah I know but I would have thought that "someone wants to give you money with no strings attached" could be an exception (I mean who doesn't want money?). Perhaps not though.
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
Being an extension, it could open the LN address using the default wallet app, but it requiresthat it support some kind of lightning:// protocol.
Some sort of custodial thing could work, but I doubt BPIP wants to do that. Just like theymos doesn't want to hold users funds for the same reason.

I'd like it though: Tipping micropayments on Bitcointalk.

Here is something that might work though. In the Bitcoin Address section of the profle, if an LN address is present, the BPIP extension opens the address using the default wallet application on the computer. Then you do the work of sending the money directly to the other user, without any middleman (I never liked the idea of having a middleman anyway). It could also be modded to search for a BTC mainnet address as well.
legendary
I like the idea of tipping but it's tangential to the purpose of this extension so I think it would make more sense as a separate extension/userscript/etc.
How about a small link/icon in the existing extension, to a third party website that processes the tipping?

29. Sending unsolicited PMs, including but not limited to advertising and flood, is not allowed.
legendary
Farewell, Leo
You may have misunderstood me. I'm not against tipping or Lightning, it's just that it could be counterproductive if someone needs to install BPIP extension (that does many things they perhaps don't need) just to be able to tip.
Yes, sure. Tips can have their own experimental userscript at first.

We should be realistic about usage though. Most users on this forum probably have some sort of Bitcoin address.
I'd expect a different, more valid response like "We should be realistic, very few posts are worth to tip".  Tongue

It should be integrated into the forum software if you want to have any kind of impact on Lightning adoption... but you know what the answer to that is... "new forum software"
Compared to the Bitcoin network, only a minority uses Lightning. Compared to bitcointalk, only a minority uses extensions.

But, we don't need to find consensus for such upgrade. That's the spirit of Lightning anyway. We've developed an alternative way to settle transactions, outside the Bitcoin network, and you've developed a software that does have a forum impact without changing the forum itself. We need no one's permission.
legendary
Don't expect the users to get used to it with this behavior, though. If we don't appeal change, it won't magically happen gradually. Everyone does have a few sats to spare for a dual-funded channel.

Sure, a separate userscript might be better.

You may have misunderstood me. I'm not against tipping or Lightning, it's just that it could be counterproductive if someone needs to install BPIP extension (that does many things they perhaps don't need) just to be able to tip. On the other hand, if a separate user script is created - we could consider integrating it into the extension. The extension itself has very few users so I think it would be very limiting to the idea of tipping to have the functionality only in the extension.

We should be realistic about usage though. Most users on this forum probably have some sort of Bitcoin address. A small fraction use Lightning, an even smaller fraction accepts (or would like to send) tips, and an even smaller fraction would install a userscript/extension to do so. It should be integrated into the forum software if you want to have any kind of impact on Lightning adoption... but you know what the answer to that is... "new forum software" Grin.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
Proposal: Tipping posts via Lightning.
As much as I like BPIP extension and I want this to be All-in-One extension, it would be to much to integrate Lightning payments.
However, I think it would be possible to add separate field for addresses that would indicate you could accept payment tips in BTC or in LN, but it wouldn't be much different than just adding this info in your profile.
You would have to use your own wallets for this, and no need for creating anything from scratch.

I don't think Lightning would work well for this, at least not as a way to tip anyone except a handful of users that actually have the ability to receive Lightning payments.
Separate userscript would be ok, but let's be realistic and check how many forum users have LN wallets ready for this.
legendary
Farewell, Leo
I don't think Lightning would work well for this, at least not as a way to tip anyone except a handful of users that actually have the ability to receive Lightning payments.
Don't expect the users to get used to it with this behavior, though. If we don't appeal change, it won't magically happen gradually. Everyone does have a few sats to spare for a dual-funded channel.

Sure, a separate userscript might be better.
legendary
I like the idea of tipping but it's tangential to the purpose of this extension so I think it would make more sense as a separate extension/userscript/etc.

I don't think Lightning would work well for this, at least not as a way to tip anyone except a handful of users that actually have the ability to receive Lightning payments. Hopefully I'm wrong about it. I wonder if it would be against forum rules to automatically send a PM if the recipient is not registered/declared/etc (whatever that entails) as being able to receive payments ("hey someone wants to send you money").
legendary
Farewell, Leo
You won't be able to tip every post. Only those whose authors own receiving capacity. I'm thinking it like this:

• "Tip this post" sends you to blackhatcoiner.com/something_something/your_username
  • blackhatcoiner.com connects with the author's lightning node.
  • The lightning node creates an invoice with description, amount and sends it back to blackhatcoiner.com.
  • My page gives you that invoice.

That's a simple thought. To avoid trusting my page, we can include things like digital signatures of the author's node. I can't work on it at this moment, though, because I'm on vacations.
legendary
Being an extension, it could open the LN address using the default wallet app, but it requiresthat it support some kind of lightning:// protocol.
Some sort of custodial thing could work, but I doubt BPIP wants to do that. Just like theymos doesn't want to hold users funds for the same reason.

I'd like it though: Tipping micropayments on Bitcointalk.
Pages:
Jump to: