Pages:
Author

Topic: [BETA] BPIP Extension - user info add-on / extension for Firefox, Chrome, et al - page 2. (Read 7776 times)

legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 8904
https://bpip.org
Why the developers are not interested in getting out a Safari based extension

When this extension was being developed Apple had their own proprietary web extension system what was not compatible with what Firefox and Chrome (and now Edge) use. I know things have changed since then and porting the extension to Safari now may be easier but I don't have the time to look into that. I don't own any Apple products and AFAIK Safari is no longer available on Windows so I have no way of testing it anyway even if I tried to port it.
Activity: 378
Merit: 252
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
I have a few noob questions about this extension. You guys might have discussed about it on this thread. As it is not that easy to scroll through so many pages to find an answer. Here is what I want to know.

• How to add this extension on my Safari Browser?
  • I did not find it on app store. Does that mean I need a thrid party to add it?
  • Why the developers are not interested in getting out a Safari based extension

I am new to MAC OS and I have been struggling to find an answer to my query. I hope someone helps me with the process of getting it activated on my Safari Browser. I am aware I can download Chrome and Firefox and get it installed. I can do that but I don't like them and that is why I am asking this question.

Thanks.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1321
Slava Ukraini!
Another strange bug I noticed, I don't know if it's the same with others.
In the thread https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/how-to-know-an-account-has-been-blacklisted-or-put-on-ignored-5459386 there is no BPIP Rank and Earned Merit data, while in several others that I checked, this data appears normally  Huh

Op for example
https://talkimg.com/images/2023/07/11/ZNflc.png
There is another strange thing I noticed and I guess it's also related with last downtime. User is shown inactive, despite that he logged in last time just few days ago. After refreshing profile on BPIP everything is OK again.
Activity: 1596
Merit: 785
Bitcoin To The Moon 📈📈📈
In the thread https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/how-to-know-an-account-has-been-blacklisted-or-put-on-ignored-5459386 there is no BPIP Rank and Earned Merit data, while in several others that I checked, this data appears normally  Huh
I see the same thing, maybe it's a bug that hasn't been fixed yet or is still loading.

I also saw in the merit record thread some pages "BPIP Rank and Earned Merit" did not appear, I checked several times it was the same and just realized a few hours ago. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5251894.1220
Activity: 336
Merit: 195
My post made philipma1957 wear signature
Hi, suchmoon!
I don't know if you have noticed, but the Bpip bot seems interrupted due to the Cloudflare issues. While Loycebot and TryninjaBot started working yesterday.

The cloudfare issue disrupted many things in the forum and those scraping the forum data. I know everything hasn't normalised yet, if it does all the data would be fine. Those data are not inputed manually, so if there is breach during the fetch time, it will either not return a result or it will return an incorrect result.

I just got to know that the BPIP extension is still in the beta version.
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 2802

Op for example
Activity: 462
Merit: 767
Hi, suchmoon!
I don't know if you have noticed, but the Bpip bot seems interrupted due to the Cloudflare issues. While Loycebot and TryninjaBot started working yesterday.

As a result, the BPIP extension shows an incorrect number of earned merits in the user's profile. The BPIP website couldn't scrap data, and it's almost two days back (If I am not wrong).

For your info, the Merits page from the user profile still shows the correct data. I am not sure how it shows the correct data.
Activity: 1092
Merit: 227
Very thoughtful project and visiting this thread for very first time. I am not sure how is it different from the actual website but isn’t there should be feature such as notifying the user about live merit sending and receipts. For example, giving chrome/Firefox notification if I receive the merit even after let’s say I am not using the bitcointalk but the my browser is on. Since BPIP anyway shows the merit status on their web version I am sure this can be added in the browser extension itself.

(I know it shows on the display, I am talking about being notified by browser itself).

The tool is already amazing but just little thought to put in. Smiley
Activity: 2184
Merit: 580
Well, Some updates disabled Tampermopnkey. With a couple of clicks, it is now up and running. I thought the red X on the Greasemonkey menu was an effect of the disabled, not the cause! Clicking it converted to a green check mark, and the extension started working again.
I think there are settings that have changed automatically since the Tampermopnkey update on the Safari browser, so make sure the enable/disabled script that has been added to Greasemonkey so that the extension is working and running normally.

Even though I don't use the Safari browser, every extension that has been installed must pay attention to the small X icon which means the extension is disabled on the Google Chrome menu bar, for example the Internet Download Manager (IDM) extension can be disabled automatically with just 1 click on the IDM icon, and click again to enable again.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 15144
Fully fledged Merit Cycler - Golden Feather 22-23
Any suggestion on where I can head, to have this fixed?
I don't know if Safari have any available alternatives for Tampermonkey, but you should check for Greasemonkey, Violentmonkey or something similar.
You can also always use Firefiox and Brave browser instead of Safari.

Well, Some updates disabled Tampermopnkey. With a couple of clicks, it is now up and running. I thought the red X on the Greasemonkey menu was an effect of the disabled, not the cause! Clicking it converted to a green check mark, and the extension started working again.
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 6871
I don't know if Safari have any available alternatives for Tampermonkey, but you should check for Greasemonkey, Violentmonkey or something similar.
You can also always use Firefiox and Brave browser instead of Safari.
legendary
Activity: 1789
Merit: 2535
Goonies never say die.
I have been using Bpip extension successfully in Safari via Tampermonkey.
Since the last Apple OS Update 13.4, the extension has stopped working.
It works regularly on Chrome instead.

Are you using tampermonkey with anything else? Curious if it is tampermonkey itself or the BPIP extension, I don't use tampermonkey myself so I'm not as familiar with it.

Make sure Safari updated correctly with MacOS update and isn't being packaged separately, check the version number under Safari / About Safari, then check for any potential software updates that may be lingering after 13.4 by going back to the updates area in system settings. With Apple, things usually break because of security changes where it may not trust tampermonkey and/or the BPIP extension anymore and will stop it from executing correctly.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 15144
Fully fledged Merit Cycler - Golden Feather 22-23
I have been using Bpip extension successfully in Safari via Tampermonkey.
Since the last Apple OS Update 13.4, the extension has stopped working.
It works regularly on Chrome instead.

legendary
Activity: 3626
Merit: 2209
💲🏎️💨🚓
~

So after testing, this is the issue:

Uncaught (in promise) Error: Please set webextensions.storage.sync.enabled to true in about:config

This is disabled because Tor tries to avoid anything writing to the disk, so it's not letting the extension save the settings, enabling this setting allows all extensions to do this. I don't think there is a way to only allow the BPIP extension, but this settings adjustment got things saving again for me.

Just to let you know my TOR browser just updated to version 12.0.5 (from an older version 11.X - without being prompted to do so) and like TheBeardedBaby all of my BPIP choices had toggled to OFF and wouldn't remain toggled ON.

May I suggest you add a screen shot such as this to the first post to alert other users when their browsers update and they find their instance of BPIP (mine is ver 2.2.5) also grinding to a halt.

Thanks.
legendary
Merit: 3134
₿uy / $ell
~

Uncaught (in promise) Error: Please set webextensions.storage.sync.enabled to true in about:config

This is disabled because Tor tries to avoid anything writing to the disk, so it's not letting the extension save the settings, enabling this setting allows all extensions to do this. I don't think there is a way to only allow the BPIP extension, but this settings adjustment got things saving again for me.

Thank you, I'll test it and let you know the outcome Smiley

Edit: it works Smiley
legendary
Goonies never say die.
~

legendary
Merit: 3134
₿uy / $ell
Here's the case.

TOR browser restarted after update. Current version is 12.0.3 ( see below)

I had the BPIP add-on installed on THE browser for a very long time now and never had issues.
Now when I go to add-ons options and toggle something after refresh it toggles back to "disabled": here's some shots.

And after F5 >

Tested everything on Firefox. All is good, here are the default options enabled after the add-on installation.

At the end I trashed the old TOR and downloaded a fresh one>

Again, after I installed the BPIP add-on, all the options are disabled.

And after you make a change, it goes back to disabled. Sad
legendary
Goonies never say die.
hi, just a question, how does the "inactive" status work? I mean, how long does someone need to be offline to get that status or how does someone need to be active in order for the status to disappear? is it a bug?

I am just curious because I saw someone(grumpygit) having the "inactive" status even though the guy has been posting since Feb 21, 2023.
The status should have probably been removed (and the profile auto-refreshed) when BPIP logged the account waking up, but in this case the main reason it was still showing inactive was because the profile had last been parsed/refreshed '4 days' ago.. before I hit 'Refresh Profile' a few minutes ago, which removed the inactive status.

legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1058
hi, just a question, how does the "inactive" status work? I mean, how long does someone need to be offline to get that status or how does someone need to be active in order for the status to disappear? is it a bug? I am just curious because I saw someone(grumpygit) having the "inactive" status even though the guy has been posting since Feb 21, 2023.
legendary
Goonies never say die.
The way I read suchmoon's post is that the official Firefox doesn't allow the extension anymore, but the Tor browser still allows it.

Yes. Tor Browser is based on an older version of Firefox (v68; the one the breaks extensions is v79) so it will likely support the extensions for some time until they decide to force an upgrade.

Tor 12 - Firefox V102
Tor 11 - Firefox V91
Tor 10 - Firefox V78.3

Based on the conversation above, and looking through current release notes, it looks like after Tor V10 it might start using a version of firefox that does the whole "recommended" extensions stuff, which may be part of the issue, I haven't tested it yet myself though.

Is it me or...

After the last tor update, the extension is no longer working. All the options are disabled, and if I try to enable them again, after a refresh they go to disabled again.
Any tips??
What version of Tor did you use before you updated?

Pages:
Jump to: