Pages:
Author

Topic: BFL: Chips have shipped, on their way to US - page 10. (Read 25583 times)

legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000
February 18, 2013, 05:57:08 PM
It seems strange to me that they don't have a working product. Making a large order and just hoping that everything works out seems risky. I don't see how they can be so sure everything will work correctly.
This is a new age....throw tons of money at a business that has no working product for months....just have "FAITH"
I'm only worried about mass producing something before testing it.
I agree here. Testing should be done on small quantities (i.e. a prototype ...DUH). BFL must have some magic potion that allows them to divert the normal development process in any new technology.

Unicorns, leprechauns, pots of golds, lucky charms, rainbows!
You remember that little fiasco where they were using a QFN chip, but then when they tested it, the plastic couldn't conduct the heat out of the chip and into the heatsink? Well, lets just think about that for a second. They had chips, and they were even testing the chips on one of their boards. If they really had a faulty design, and the chips really couldn't hash, then they would have known about it in October.
They would have known that is more easy to change pcb and heat sink instead right?
Sounds logical not to throw away the WORKING CHIPS with the money paid to produce them? And miss the chance to show a working video of "overheating chips" just for a seconds to suck Avalon and BTCFPGA potential customers  - roughly about 2+ million USD. I doubt that they are so damn stupid to miss that chance what about you?
But yeah it sounds more logical compared to TOM famous excuse of powers of two for those that remember that ridiculous post. The most funny thing is that particular post brought to Tom/BTCFPGA more orders
I can say that BFL learned a lesson and are doing good compared to to tom. But we as a community are not learning unfortunately
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276
February 18, 2013, 05:55:30 PM
You remember that little fiasco where they were using a QFN chip, but then when they tested it, the plastic couldn't conduct the heat out of the chip and into the heatsink? Well, lets just think about that for a second. They had chips, and they were even testing the chips on one of their boards. If they really had a faulty design, and the chips really couldn't hash, then they would have known about it in October.

I always figured that it was most likely that the whole story was made up out of whole cloth.  Just a set of words chosen because it was most effective at placating the community and keeping the pre-order funds rolling in.  In case you've not noticed anyone can say anything on the Internet, and without some solid evidence and proof, the words are pretty much useless.

legendary
Activity: 952
February 18, 2013, 05:48:25 PM
It seems strange to me that they don't have a working product. Making a large order and just hoping that everything works out seems risky. I don't see how they can be so sure everything will work correctly.
This is a new age....throw tons of money at a business that has no working product for months....just have "FAITH"
I agree here. Testing should be done on small quantities (i.e. a prototype ...DUH). BFL must have some magic potion that allows them to divert the normal development process in any new technology.

legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
February 18, 2013, 05:40:15 PM

Activity: 868
February 18, 2013, 05:27:20 PM

A little more waiting is a small price to pay if the alternative is were all screwed. I don't see how they could be certain it worked without testing one. I'm not talking about user testing..

They are being tested, albeit only for a day plus a short burn-in before shipping.

- 2 days in bumping facility
- Transport to substrate and packaging
- 1 - 2 days for substrate and packaging
- Transport to assembly house
- < 24 hours at assembly house
- ~1 day for chip verification/testing
- Transport to Kansas City
- Bulk assembly / send out demo units
- Ship bulk units

Remember that the next 6,000 chips don't have all the layers completed yet.  Those chips are their back up plan if this first batch fail (and yes, there would be a further delay).
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
February 18, 2013, 11:55:13 AM

i will gladly be a beta tester :p
there is no time for testing unfortunately. the first rigs will produce all the money Wink

A little more waiting is a small price to pay if the alternative is were all screwed. I don't see how they could be certain it worked without testing one. I'm not talking about user testing..
Activity: 607
February 18, 2013, 09:14:04 AM

i will gladly be a beta tester :p
there is no time for testing unfortunately. the first rigs will produce all the money Wink
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067
Christian Antkow
February 18, 2013, 08:37:52 AM
An update on what's going on at the bumping facility is way overdue.

I know right ?! I'm sure they have been slaving away for us all weekend...
Activity: 868
February 18, 2013, 06:10:54 AM
An update on what's going on at the bumping facility is way overdue.
February 18, 2013, 05:45:44 AM

legendary
February 18, 2013, 04:41:41 AM

February 18, 2013, 04:30:12 AM
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
February 17, 2013, 05:15:18 AM
I am just curious what the next excuse is...

"Bumping facility was robbed only leaving the boxes the chips came in and some mysterious fans that were placed in the boxes."

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I'd go with something like "The mean bad government confiscated all our chips."  That would explain why they have zero which can be proven to work, and also would deflect rage away from their poor abused selves.

An added advantage is that they could also string 'customers' along for a few more month with stories about how their lawyers are about to make a breakthrough in return of the property and so forth.  I think that most of BFL's 'customers' could probably be kept on the line for years judging by the past performance.

With "so forth" consisting of Mt Gox safeguarding the chips, releasing them once the original true owners have been identified after providing proper paperwork.
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276
February 16, 2013, 04:09:26 AM

"Bumping facility was robbed only leaving the boxes the chips came in and some mysterious fans that were placed in the boxes."

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I'd go with something like "The mean bad government confiscated all our chips."  That would explain why they have zero which can be proven to work, and also would deflect rage away from their poor abused selves.

An added advantage is that they could also string 'customers' along for a few more month with stories about how their lawyers are about to make a breakthrough in return of the property and so forth.  I think that most of BFL's 'customers' could probably be kept on the line for years judging by the past performance.

legendary
February 15, 2013, 05:17:57 AM

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1274
February 15, 2013, 01:52:09 AM
"14 Feb 2013 Update

I am told that the bumping facility has started working on our order as of yesterday(!). Although I'm seeking clarification as to whether that means the actual bumping process has started or if they are still working on the NRE for the bumping, to be completed sometime between today and Monday. When I have clarification on this, I will make another post... but in either case, the chips are at the bumping facility and the bumping facility is working on them in some fashion.

I have no updates on the timeline as of yet until I hear back as to when the bumping will be complete."

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/announcements/692-bfl-asic-status.html
Activity: 481
February 14, 2013, 02:24:08 PM
well I ordered a BFL SC it added $114 tax on top of the 1299 but when I checked out it was not added is this a problem?

No, it's not a problem - it does that for everyone. 

Not everyone. I haven't paid a tax on my orders, only $34 shipping. I've paid through both PayPal and Bitcoins...so maybe that makes a difference?

I think you misread Korbman - "it does that for everyone" meaning nobody pays for tax upon checkout.

When you change your own location (State) to something other than Kansas, it will remove the tax from the listing.

so. since i avoid the bfl forums - how do i get that discount voucher?

BFL will include the voucher with the equipment shipment. So it will go out with your original order.
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001
February 14, 2013, 11:55:30 AM

If I recall correctly, BFL will email the vouchers out.

In other BFL forum news:
12 Feb 2013

The chips have been delivered by FedEx to the bumping facility. We will hopefully hear from the bumping facility tonight or tomorrow with regards to them, but I do not expect any movement on it until the 14th at the earliest.

But... they were here and waiting, so the biggest hurdle in terms of delivery has been achieved.
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005
this space intentionally left blank
February 14, 2013, 10:47:37 AM
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001
February 14, 2013, 10:28:24 AM
well I ordered a BFL SC it added $114 tax on top of the 1299 but when I checked out it was not added is this a problem?

No, it's not a problem - it does that for everyone. 

Not everyone. I haven't paid a tax on my orders, only $34 shipping. I've paid through both PayPal and Bitcoins...so maybe that makes a difference?

I think you misread Korbman - "it does that for everyone" meaning nobody pays for tax upon checkout.

It seems I have! Oops haha. Oh well, that's what I get for getting on the forums right after I wake up Tongue
Pages:
Jump to: