Pages:
Author

Topic: BFL: Chips have shipped, on their way to US - page 9. (Read 25583 times)

legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
February 19, 2013, 11:14:46 PM
Hope kano can change his return flight then because it doesn't sound like there's going to be much to see in Kansas City this week.
Kano cannot change his plans as he has to leave on Saturday.

FYI Smiley

I've got my plane tickets to BFL - Kansas City today (email booked digital ticket details from the travel agent) arranged by Josh
So my flight to the USA, leaving Sydney on the 17th Feb (my time) - to be back here in Aus again on the 23rd.

... so I going from Oz (Aus) to Kansas (City) ... isn't that back to front? Cheesy
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
February 19, 2013, 11:09:07 PM
Hope kano can change his return flight then because it doesn't sound like there's going to be much to see in Kansas City this week.
Kano cannot change his plans as he has to leave on Saturday.
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276
February 19, 2013, 07:15:34 PM
I am just curious what the next excuse is...

"Bumping facility was robbed only leaving the boxes the chips came in and some mysterious fans that were placed in the boxes."

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I'd go with something like "The mean bad government confiscated all our chips."  That would explain why they have zero which can be proven to work, and also would deflect rage away from their poor abused selves.

An added advantage is that they could also string 'customers' along for a few more month with stories about how their lawyers are about to make a breakthrough in return of the property and so forth.  I think that most of BFL's 'customers' could probably be kept on the line for years judging by the past performance.

With "so forth" consisting of Mt Gox safeguarding the chips, releasing them once the original true owners have been identified after providing proper paperwork.

I just thought of another one.  How about: "Damn bumping facility screwed up and fried the whole batch!"

If people didn't believe that every single one chip got nuked, they might be able to come up with an Avalon and sand the markings off it.

I do like the idea of trying to extract an identity theft kit from the victims though.  Not sure how to work that one in.

legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
February 19, 2013, 10:16:43 AM
https://forums.butterflylabs.com/blogs/bfl_jody/85-perennial-question-when-will-my-order-ship.html
Quote from: BFL_Jody
As our ASIC chips make their way through the final packaging before they are joined to the boards and assembled into BitForce miners, we are having shipping cartons delivered and assembly people ready to complete the final step. If all goes well we will ship the first units this month. Those are the orders made last June. If you order now, because of the backlog of orders, you may not get your order until May or June of this year. We are not good enough prophets to tell you exactly what day your order will ship. If you ordered between June of last year and February of this year, your order will most likely be shipped before June of this year. We will update our shipping expectations once we have shipped out a few and see how fast this whole process goes. Please continue to check this blog, since I will be telling the ORDER DATE which we are shipping every day.

Sweet, if you ordered between June last year and Feb this year, your order should ship by June. Most likely.
Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
February 19, 2013, 08:30:48 AM
Per Josh, they aren't done at the bumping facility. Maybe tomorrow, maybe the next day.

BFL_Josh - 02-18-2013 06:25 PM -- Ok, I just got a call.. I guess the guy that we normally talk to is off for Presidents Day... forgot it was a holiday today, so that's why we haven't gotten a call back from
him. We have a call in elsewhere, but it's getting a bit late now. However, presuming the chips are done tomorrow, we'll be able to test the chip out before it's packaged, so we should know pretty much everything we need to know fairly soon and start the process on the other 6 wafers and the bulk of the chips after that.

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
February 19, 2013, 12:39:31 AM
Per Josh, they aren't done at the bumping facility. Maybe tomorrow, maybe the next day.

Activity: 588
Merit: 500
firstbits.com/1kznfw
February 19, 2013, 12:24:49 AM
legendary
Activity: 952
February 19, 2013, 12:08:43 AM
For those following the timeline:

Transport wafers same day to bumping facility - DONE
2 days in bumping facility - DONE?
Transport to substrate and packaging - I'm guessing they're somewhere
1 - 2 days for substrate and packaging - between these two steps?
Transport to assembly house
< 24 hours at assembly house
~1 day for chip verification/testing
Transport to Kansas City
Bulk assembly / send out demo units
Ship bulk units
February 18, 2013, 10:31:41 PM
Someone apply for the Communications Director - North America job at BFL so customers can get timely, accurate updates.

http://butterflylabs.com/jobs/
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276
February 18, 2013, 08:40:21 PM
meanwhile, network hash grows at 2% a day...I have been one of the patient ones, but this is starting to tick me off

'patient ones' is a more charitable description than what others may be tempted to use Smiley

legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 4387
diamond-handed zealot
February 18, 2013, 08:27:18 PM
meanwhile, network hash grows at 2% a day...I have been one of the patient ones, but this is starting to tick me off
Activity: 53
Merit: 0
February 18, 2013, 08:25:16 PM
Pringles.png

Don't pop your top just yet.  They still need to be bumped, packaged, and most importantly, thoroughly tested.

This ^^

Some of you are blind aren't you? There hasn't been really any tests on the BFL "chips" that are "on the way to the US".

Hurry up and WAIT lol

Suckerz....  Grin Grin Grin
I have to agree. I just posted a thread about this (that was deleted for some reason). These chips still have to make their way across the world to the US (i'm willing to bet they're not overnight airmailed....), assembled, and tested. That process alone will take weeks, and much longer if there's any sort of issues (let's face it, this is untested product - there will be issues). I was very late to the party (order number 18k), and i honestly don't expect to receive mine until well after the summer. I won't be able to get in early, or recoup my investment quickly, but let's face it - a jalapeno is going to be the minimum you'll need to make any sort of profit mining here very soon.

You just gave me a shot of reality , I don't like it. I hope you are wrong!

February 18, 2013, 08:21:28 PM

Some of the heat testing places use ceramic elements to mimic the thermal load and get a general sense of how the board and it's ancillary components will perform.
(and IIRC this thermal testing only took place last November)

Didn't Josh say they ran simulations?
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1003
February 18, 2013, 08:19:24 PM
The question is how long Josh believes he can put off announcing another delay before BFL customers lose their shit.

Is there even going to be anything to show kano apart from boxes and fans before his return flight?

The way things are shaping up, there's likely to be at least one more difficulty jump before BFL customers start receiving their orders.
Ahh, I think he will say either:

The "week" of the 27th.

or

The Fifth week of February....oh shit...February only had 28 days...FUCK!

Ah, but if he says the week of the 27th....he could make people wait all the way until the 2nd. Wink
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
February 18, 2013, 08:10:11 PM
It seems strange to me that they don't have a working product. Making a large order and just hoping that everything works out seems risky. I don't see how they can be so sure everything will work correctly.
This is a new age....throw tons of money at a business that has no working product for months....just have "FAITH"
I'm only worried about mass producing something before testing it.
I agree here. Testing should be done on small quantities (i.e. a prototype ...DUH). BFL must have some magic potion that allows them to divert the normal development process in any new technology.

Unicorns, leprechauns, pots of golds, lucky charms, rainbows!
You remember that little fiasco where they were using a QFN chip, but then when they tested it, the plastic couldn't conduct the heat out of the chip and into the heatsink? Well, lets just think about that for a second. They had chips, and they were even testing the chips on one of their boards. If they really had a faulty design, and the chips really couldn't hash, then they would have known about it in October.

I'm not sure how they tested the heat, but if they had a hashing ASIC they wouldn't be hiding it. They could have also figured out the spec for the unit by now if they had one. It's more likely they just skipped testing and went straight to production hoping everything works out.

The fact that BFL was able to switch package types mid-stream might indicate that they never had a full production of wafers.

Some of the heat testing places use ceramic elements to mimic the thermal load and get a general sense of how the board and it's ancillary components will perform.
(and IIRC this thermal testing only took place last November)

My suspicion is both are true.  I chuckle when Josh says, "We've done the impossible!," by changing the packaging type.  When this most likely means that BFL was never anywhere close to published timelines ever.
February 18, 2013, 08:08:23 PM
Josh has become very skilled at delaying updates which are due at the end of the week until after the weekend and those which are due at the beginning of the week until the end of the week.

He was "hoping to find out" on Saturday whether the bumping facility was actually processing BFL's order or just preparing the equipment in order to process it. 

Even if he announced today that the chips have left the bumping facility for the packaging facility, it's pretty obvious that BFL is not going to ship this week.  The question is how long Josh believes he can put off announcing another delay before BFL customers lose their shit.

Is there even going to be anything to show kano apart from boxes and fans before his return flight?

The way things are shaping up, there's likely to be at least one more difficulty jump before BFL customers start receiving their orders.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
February 18, 2013, 07:58:46 PM
There is no hard evidence they ever had any chips back in October now is there? Video? Witnesses?

People are still forgetting that all that has really been said by josh...are JUST WORDS.

Oh right we cant forget the box of fans he brought to CES.

Other than that, that is all the "evidence" there really exists.

Why is BFL so quiet? Aren't they supposed to be shipping already? Or at least assembling units? Why no pix? Why no updates?

Oh wait...let me guess Leprechauns stole the magic chips and shoved them up a unicorns ass?  Cheesy
Perhaps the chips never made it in time for "Kano's Press and Pony Show"?

Ever heard of a bribe?

I wouldnt be surprised if Kano was bribed to speak good about BFL blah blah blah.
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1003
February 18, 2013, 07:34:10 PM
There is no hard evidence they ever had any chips back in October now is there? Video? Witnesses?

People are still forgetting that all that has really been said by josh...are JUST WORDS.

Why is BFL so quiet? Aren't they supposed to be shipping already? Or at least assembling units? Why no pix? Why no updates?

Oh wait...let me guess Leprechauns stole the magic chips and shoved them up a unicorns ass?  Cheesy
Perhaps the chips never made it in time for "Kano's Press and Pony Show"?
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
February 18, 2013, 07:15:57 PM
It seems strange to me that they don't have a working product. Making a large order and just hoping that everything works out seems risky. I don't see how they can be so sure everything will work correctly.
This is a new age....throw tons of money at a business that has no working product for months....just have "FAITH"
I'm only worried about mass producing something before testing it.
I agree here. Testing should be done on small quantities (i.e. a prototype ...DUH). BFL must have some magic potion that allows them to divert the normal development process in any new technology.

Unicorns, leprechauns, pots of golds, lucky charms, rainbows!
You remember that little fiasco where they were using a QFN chip, but then when they tested it, the plastic couldn't conduct the heat out of the chip and into the heatsink? Well, lets just think about that for a second. They had chips, and they were even testing the chips on one of their boards. If they really had a faulty design, and the chips really couldn't hash, then they would have known about it in October.

I'm not sure how they tested the heat, but if they had a hashing ASIC they wouldn't be hiding it. They could have also figured out the spec for the unit by now if they had one. It's more likely they just skipped testing and went straight to production hoping everything works out.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
February 18, 2013, 06:16:24 PM

Pages:
Jump to: