Pages:
Author

Topic: BFL: Chips have shipped, on their way to US - page 7. (Read 25583 times)

Activity: 697
Merit: 500
February 21, 2013, 02:20:47 PM
That's a whole lot of SC Mini Rig cases. Kind of drives home exactly how high the difficulty is going to skyrocket when BFL gets around to shipping them.
Kano counted 89 MR cases in all... with lots of fans.

Whew. The first few of those owners are going to be very happy customers. It'll be interesting to see the pay-off times for the first rig and the last rig out of the first batch. Regardless, I'm jealous of even that last rig owner. Hopefully the price drops later this year such that I can warrant purchasing one.
legendary
Activity: 2955
Merit: 1049
February 21, 2013, 11:46:12 AM

[/quote]
is this from Avalon?
(is this yours or from whom? - order Nr.?)
TIA
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005
this space intentionally left blank
February 21, 2013, 05:20:44 AM

I'm a little confused about what's in Chicago.. I thought they were going to KC then shipping out. Anyone know more about this?

The boards are being put together in Chicago.  The final assembly of the actual units is being done in Kansas City, which is where orders will be shipped from.

shipping to the EU plus customs pickup.... ~ 4 weeks.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
February 21, 2013, 05:11:33 AM

I'm a little confused about what's in Chicago.. I thought they were going to KC then shipping out. Anyone know more about this?

The boards are being put together in Chicago.  The final assembly of the actual units is being done in Kansas City, which is where orders will be shipped from.
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1003
February 21, 2013, 04:28:50 AM
@puertolibre you 1) cannot copy paste information from what you see in your screen
2) did not follow my suggestion.
3) assume english is my native language?  
Well, continue to write whatever you want on anything that refers to bfl if that makes you a happier person.
I sincerely dont give a shit.
Sad people are sad and thats it. good luck with that. (and i wont even ask you how is your hashing monster doing... Wink )
It hashed my pants?

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1544896
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1544645
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1544898
Activity: 655
February 21, 2013, 04:13:07 AM
@puertolibre you 1) cannot copy paste information from what you see in your screen
2) did not follow my suggestion.
3) assume english is my native language? 
Well, continue to write whatever you want on anything that refers to bfl if that makes you a happier person.
I sincerely dont give a shit.
Sad people are sad and thats it. good luck with that. (and i wont even ask you how is your hashing monster doing... Wink )
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
February 21, 2013, 03:56:01 AM
That's a whole lot of SC Mini Rig cases. Kind of drives home exactly how high the difficulty is going to skyrocket when BFL gets around to shipping them.
Kano counted 89 MR cases in all... with lots of fans.
Activity: 518
February 21, 2013, 02:54:24 AM

Activity: 37
Merit: 0
February 21, 2013, 01:16:30 AM
Don't worry Puerto you will eventually get your Avalon once they start building them.
Now they have the funds from batch #2 to pay for them it shouldn't be too long now..........

I think everyone is waiting for this kind of notice! Grin

I think they are, is that Unit 3?? or Unit 4??  Wink

3 or 4 or 100....
Anything is better than 0.

Not a fan boi of either, would be happy to get any good mining unit.

Just my  0.02BTC
Activity: 143
Merit: 100
February 20, 2013, 08:46:29 PM
Don't worry Puerto you will eventually get your Avalon once they start building them.
Now they have the funds from batch #2 to pay for them it shouldn't be too long now..........

I think they are, is that Unit 3?? or Unit 4??  Wink
Activity: 238
February 20, 2013, 08:43:58 PM

The problem is that accurate shipping estimates and continuing pre-order sales revenues are incompatible concepts.

While this is largely true, it doesn't explain the inability to meet a solid target date for Batch 1.  I think part of their problem is that once the date for completion of the chips slipped, any dates they had locked in for bumping and packaging couldn't be met and they then became dependent on those facilities being able to squeeze them in around other orders.  They're not AMD or Intel, and this isn't a millions of chips run, so they don't have the kind of leverage to get booked orders bumped for their urgent run.

In their shoes, I'd forget about assembling back-orders in-house.  Originally they thought they'd be able to quickly catch up on back orders if they contracted out assembly for batch 1 only.  That's clearly not going to be the case - people ordering now are looking at a delivery date 2-3 months away if everything goes well. 

It's no longer clear when BFL might be able to make the transition to an order turnaround time of less than a week.  They either need to stop taking new orders until they catch up or they need to accelerate their manufacturing process because inability to deliver quickly is going to affect the profitability of their units as everyone - including their own Batch 1 customers - brings more hashing power online. 

It will cost them a lot more to accelerate manufacturing, but that has to be weighed against sales lost due to their inability to deliver units in a known, reasonable time-frame.  A single ordered now could be worthless if delivered in June due to massive difficulty jumps over the next few months.  It's probably not even worth keeping Jalapenos in their product line after the second batch of 6,000 chips is completed and assembled. 

By the time they deliver an SC single will need to be the price of a jalapeno to make it worth ordering.
Activity: 238
February 20, 2013, 08:36:40 PM
I am just curious what the next excuse is...

"Bumping facility was robbed only leaving the boxes the chips came in and some mysterious fans that were placed in the boxes."

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I'd go with something like "The mean bad government confiscated all our chips."  That would explain why they have zero which can be proven to work, and also would deflect rage away from their poor abused selves.

An added advantage is that they could also string 'customers' along for a few more month with stories about how their lawyers are about to make a breakthrough in return of the property and so forth.  I think that most of BFL's 'customers' could probably be kept on the line for years judging by the past performance.

With "so forth" consisting of Mt Gox safeguarding the chips, releasing them once the original true owners have been identified after providing proper paperwork.

I just thought of another one.  How about: "Damn bumping facility screwed up and fried the whole batch!"

If people didn't believe that every single one chip got nuked, they might be able to come up with an Avalon and sand the markings off it.

I do like the idea of trying to extract an identity theft kit from the victims though.  Not sure how to work that one in.

They could say they spoke to a lawyer and he advised them that because the chips are considered to be minting money that they cant send them out to people without ID, because terrorists might mine bitcoins  Cheesy
legendary
February 20, 2013, 08:36:23 PM

Activity: 143
February 20, 2013, 08:26:54 PM
legendary
February 20, 2013, 08:20:23 PM
You sound slightly uncivil. Wait riling up your nerves? Have a coke, relax.
Yep, what greyhawk says.

@ BFL posse
yep, buy some coke and get over it.

As you can see the Yes, Men clown posse has shown up.

Lets see,

There is Poon-Tang:
The guy who thinks on the BFL forums that any customers who ask about when they will receive their produce = a bunch of trolls.

Not a hardcore fanboi but close.

SloK, needs zero introduction:
Total Fanboi with BFL. Insults anyone who asks questions both on and off the BFL forum.

Sterigum,
I don't know too much about him but tends to favor BFL in the few posts that he does endeavor to type.

etc.

It's like someone ordered them to line up against a wall on command to form a unified front of objectionable stupidity.

----------------

To fill in the clueless posse I used to be an amateur investigator.My Google-fu is pretty weak. If you didn't know that you could pull up that information from publicly available resources....well that is pretty sad.

There's nothing to worry about. Everything's cool. No reasons to get all up in arms.

It's not like, say, moderators are deleting posts of BFL customers asking where their ordered product is and...

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/--145479

.... oh.... oh dear...  Sad
February 20, 2013, 07:37:54 PM

The problem is that accurate shipping estimates and continuing pre-order sales revenues are incompatible concepts.

While this is largely true, it doesn't explain the inability to meet a solid target date for Batch 1.  I think part of their problem is that once the date for completion of the chips slipped, any dates they had locked in for bumping and packaging couldn't be met and they then became dependent on those facilities being able to squeeze them in around other orders.  They're not AMD or Intel, and this isn't a millions of chips run, so they don't have the kind of leverage to get booked orders bumped for their urgent run.

In their shoes, I'd forget about assembling back-orders in-house.  Originally they thought they'd be able to quickly catch up on back orders if they contracted out assembly for batch 1 only.  That's clearly not going to be the case - people ordering now are looking at a delivery date 2-3 months away if everything goes well. 

It's no longer clear when BFL might be able to make the transition to an order turnaround time of less than a week.  They either need to stop taking new orders until they catch up or they need to accelerate their manufacturing process because inability to deliver quickly is going to affect the profitability of their units as everyone - including their own Batch 1 customers - brings more hashing power online. 

It will cost them a lot more to accelerate manufacturing, but that has to be weighed against sales lost due to their inability to deliver units in a known, reasonable time-frame.  A single ordered now could be worthless if delivered in June due to massive difficulty jumps over the next few months.  It's probably not even worth keeping Jalapenos in their product line after the second batch of 6,000 chips is completed and assembled. 

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
February 20, 2013, 07:08:53 PM
You'd think they would've waited to fly someone across the globe until they had a product to demonstrate.

Hopefully BFL has learned something about the dangers of setting target dates when you're directly controlling very few steps of the overall project and when you're placing a very small order compared to the average customer in the sector.

Good one.

The problem is that accurate shipping estimates and continuing pre-order sales revenues are incompatible concepts. Nobody is this grotesquely incompetent. Avalon got a couple units out, ASICMiner is online, BFL needed something. Another nonsensical timeline gives them something to placate the faithful while difficulty continues to rise.
February 20, 2013, 06:43:53 PM
You'd think they would've waited to fly someone across the globe until they had a product to demonstrate.

As 22 February was their "worst case scenario", "if everything goes wrong" shipping date, I suspect that the plan was for kano to fly home with one of the first BFL units assembled.

Hopefully BFL has learned something about the dangers of setting target dates when you're directly controlling very few steps of the overall project and when you're placing a very small order compared to the average customer in the sector.

All these months later, none of us even know who the project manager/administrator is.  It's obviously not Josh or Jody.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
February 20, 2013, 06:28:22 PM
Activity: 697
February 20, 2013, 06:25:23 PM
Pages:
Jump to: