Pages:
Author

Topic: BFL Requests Input - page 5. (Read 34805 times)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250
November 10, 2012, 01:15:30 AM
I think most of the "BFL" hate is coming from two places.

1) GPU Miners who can't swing dropping the cash for ASIC's, so they're hoping all ASIC's fail and just pissing on anything ASIC.

2) People who have pre-ordered other ASIC's and are hoping BFL fails or just ships way late, so their pissing on anything BFL.

People can bitch all they want about BFL or any other ASIC's, but they're not going to change anyone's mind that have pre-ordered.  Anyone dropping the cash for pre-orders has most likely thought it over long an hard before they hit the pre-order button.  I'd bet for every actual BFL/ASIC pre-order cancellation there's 10,000 posts here telling people that BFL/ASIC's are never going to work, never going to ship, are a scam, yadda yadda.  It's just getting annoying because there is some bits and pieces of genuine good info/wisdom out there, but you have to wade through 30 topics and 500 posts of crap to get to it.
Activity: 383
November 09, 2012, 02:43:59 PM
Sigh. I guess there will always be BFL haters and self proclaimed experts that think they know how to produce BFL's product. Why can't people just sit and wait patiently? I have pre-orders as others here have; but what good is it to worry and spread FUD? Maybe some people doing that are competitors.

Bottom line is, if it is stressing you out so much, cancel your order/s and order from another outfit. There are other avenues to pursue for getting ASIC hardware.

I think Con was just making a sarcastic reference to BFL's early days when they claimed 4-6 weeks delivery.

Regarding "BFL haters", there are many highly skilled engineers participating on these forums, that voice a concern over BFL's claims. I think it's a fair warning to those, who don't have the necessary technical expertise to evaluate these claims. I personally know it's possible to produce what they are claiming (and even better), but the timeframe and lack of evidence of a working prototype strongly suggests they're going directly into production with their design. There are great risks (and rewards in this case) associated with this approach. I personally wish all of these ASIC manufacturers would be more open regarding their process and the risks related. I have to give thumbs up to Friedcat for his very open communication on the Blockerupter project. Too bad GLBSE ruined it for them.

Regarding the "haters", my issue with it is that I'm not seeing the same amount of picking apart and jabs at other ASIC projects.

I have no real loyalty to BFL and have never before owned any of their products. I do have pre-ordered product now.

It just seems like there is a lot of BFL hate out there. Maybe it has something to do with their FPGA rocky start.

Personally, I want them to succeed. I want all of the ASIC providers to succeed. Competition will be a good thing.

I'm not going to have a problem with people bashing them on valid issues after the product is released, but as it is now there is no released ASIC product. All this complaining and bashing just seems pointless at this stage.
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
November 09, 2012, 01:47:41 PM
Sigh. I guess there will always be BFL haters and self proclaimed experts that think they know how to produce BFL's product. Why can't people just sit and wait patiently? I have pre-orders as others here have; but what good is it to worry and spread FUD? Maybe some people doing that are competitors.

Bottom line is, if it is stressing you out so much, cancel your order/s and order from another outfit. There are other avenues to pursue for getting ASIC hardware.

I think Con was just making a sarcastic reference to BFL's early days when they claimed 4-6 weeks delivery.

Regarding "BFL haters", there are many highly skilled engineers participating on these forums, that voice a concern over BFL's claims. I think it's a fair warning to those, who don't have the necessary technical expertise to evaluate these claims. I personally know it's possible to produce what they are claiming (and even better), but the timeframe and lack of evidence of a working prototype strongly suggests they're going directly into production with their design. There are great risks (and rewards in this case) associated with this approach. I personally wish all of these ASIC manufacturers would be more open regarding their process and the risks related. I have to give thumbs up to Friedcat for his very open communication on the Blockerupter project. Too bad GLBSE ruined it for them.
Activity: 383
November 09, 2012, 12:09:59 PM

legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
November 09, 2012, 11:55:06 AM
Especially since you'll be shipping product in about 4 weeks.
Correction: 4-6 weeks.

Did I miss this announcement, or does ckolivas know something that we don't?

I guess he would have a better idea than most, since he will/has receive a dev unit.

Could you elaborate on how you know BFL won't be shipping for 4-6 weeks?

I don't know about that, but the dude has his own Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Con_Kolivas

Even Gavin doesn't have one of those.

~Bruno K~
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
November 09, 2012, 08:15:43 AM
Kano is a cgminer developer, so if delivery of ASICS is for first week of december and they will visit by the end of november, must have kano an ASIC for testing before visit? Will asics be delivered before mining software is tested? AS is said in my country this seams to be too much run Cheesy

Visit have no sense for me, I though visit was for to calm people, check that BFL exist, facilities exist, and so on... But they won't visit until asics are almost to be delivered? a waste of money and time.

Regards

One "suspects" a massive rush..... get parts in, throw together a production line in less than 2 weeks? ,show the patsies.
Ship following week....
No photos, no visitors and all this with months to prepare.
Sorry but having run electronic production facilities with SMT I just don't see it.
HC

Me - patsy - no.
You - get a life - yes Smiley

We'll let you know how that experience of yours goes ...

I'll state the blatantly obvious: there's no point having photos or visitors before there is something to see Tongue
(major newsflash - cgminer needs hardware to run ...)
Once there is something to see, they will be wanting to ship it out ...
So oddly enough the two events will be close together ...........

My patsy comment related to  manufacturing experience
My "get a life" comment related to your lack of having one. Get one.

SMT machines just means that inexperienced production technicians  can make mistakes in bigger quantities at a faster rate, and it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with your god like ability to "mine bitcoins"

HC
We'll see how much you know about how BFL is doing their production when it happens ...
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
November 09, 2012, 07:44:31 AM
Do you realize that BFL is not using their in-house production line for the first batch? They'll continue using the company that did their FPGA boards for the first ASICs.

1.Sorry what has that got to do with anything?
We are discussing  "The Right tool for the job"

2. pictures?
Activity: 681
November 09, 2012, 07:22:27 AM
Do you realize that BFL is not using their in-house production line for the first batch? They'll continue using the company that did their FPGA boards for the first ASICs.
November 09, 2012, 06:27:50 AM
Kano is a cgminer developer, so if delivery of ASICS is for first week of december and they will visit by the end of november, must have kano an ASIC for testing before visit? Will asics be delivered before mining software is tested? AS is said in my country this seams to be too much run Cheesy

Visit have no sense for me, I though visit was for to calm people, check that BFL exist, facilities exist, and so on... But they won't visit until asics are almost to be delivered? a waste of money and time.

Regards

One "suspects" a massive rush..... get parts in, throw together a production line in less than 2 weeks? ,show the patsies.
Ship following week....
Sorry but having run electronic production facilities with SMT I just don't see it.
HC

Me - patsy - no.

I'll state the blatantly obvious: there's no point having photos or visitors before there is something to see Tongue

My patsy comment related to  manufacturing experience.
So exactly how much manufacturing experience do you have ?
Judging by your comments above, very little, but please feel free to correct me.

"Once there is something to see, they will be wanting to ship it out ...
So oddly enough the two events will be close together "

Again, if you had manufacturing experience you would understand how ludicrous that statement was.

SMT production is NOT just throwing in a couple of machines, trundling raw materials in one end  and getting finished product out of the re-flow oven at the other end.

It can take MONTHS or at the VERY LEAST several weeks to setup and profile an SMT line, as a result there WOULD be something to see LONG before master production is begun, if not then the potential for some very expensive mistakes abound.

SMT machines just means that inexperienced production technicians  can make mistakes in bigger quantities at a faster rate, and it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with your god like ability to "mine bitcoins"

HC

donator
Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008
November 09, 2012, 04:54:53 AM
Please, BLF, enough with the secrecy.

I'd prefer the delivery to be off by months due to a stupid mistake than to get feed bullshit once more.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/showthread.php/31-Community-Representative-to-Visit-BFL-Manufacturing-Facilities-Poll?p=4467&viewfull=1#post4467
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
November 09, 2012, 03:17:17 AM

Regards

Ship following week....
HC

Me - patsy - no.

So, while the official timeline is: delivery Dec 1st, the current "real" timeline (of course stuff can still happen to make it slip) looks like:

Dec 1st: visitors, show off production "almost working" to calm crowd
Dec 24th: finally have product in first customers hands
January 2013: finally good business, lots of orders, production working smoothly
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
November 09, 2012, 12:50:44 AM

Regards

Ship following week....
HC

Me - patsy - no.

November 08, 2012, 08:13:56 PM

Regards

Ship following week....
HC

Activity: 850
Merit: 331
November 08, 2012, 04:42:58 PM

Regards
Activity: 1162
November 08, 2012, 04:31:51 PM
"The community visit by Yochdog and Kano will most likely happen around the very end of November, with our currently expected shipping date around the 1st week of December."

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/content.php/125-BFL-ASIC-Update

He didn't say which year. He possibly means 2013. Or 2014.
Activity: 756
November 08, 2012, 01:44:08 AM
"The community visit by Yochdog and Kano will most likely happen around the very end of November, with our currently expected shipping date around the 1st week of December."

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/content.php/125-BFL-ASIC-Update
November 08, 2012, 01:42:47 AM
... We don't have an exact date yet as to when we would do this, ...

WHEN ?

I would like to see the assembly equipment,
Like the one you purchased last month. https://forums.butterflylabs.com/content.php/120-BFL-Invests-in-Assembly-Equipment

It is not that simple to just startup an SMT production line, it can take literally months of trial and error, unless you buy in the expertise
Staff to train, re-work procedures/faultfinding procedures. Production flow to work out, programming and setting up of hte machines.

HC

Activity: 956
Merit: 1001
November 07, 2012, 10:24:07 AM
The silence is deafening
donator
Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008
November 07, 2012, 01:04:30 AM
... We don't have an exact date yet as to when we would do this, ...

WHEN ?

I would like to see the assembly equipment,
Like the one you purchased last month. https://forums.butterflylabs.com/content.php/120-BFL-Invests-in-Assembly-Equipment
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001
November 06, 2012, 05:43:36 PM
Especially since you'll be shipping product in about 4 weeks.
Correction: 4-6 weeks.

Did I miss this announcement, or does ckolivas know something that we don't?

I guess he would have a better idea than most, since he will/has receive a dev unit.

Could you elaborate on how you know BFL won't be shipping for 4-6 weeks?

Cheesy Yeah,its a pull on BFL shipping FPGA's in the past,was always told "4-6 weeks to fill your new order",but never really happened.

Came close near the end though  Wink

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/wait-list-bfl-singles-order-date-ship-date-77796
Pages:
Jump to: