Pages:
Author

Topic: BFL Requests Input - page 6. (Read 34805 times)

legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026
In Cryptocoins I Trust
November 06, 2012, 10:52:16 AM
Common sense?

Well, someone shouldn't state something like that as if it is a fact without something to back it up...

But, it seems if you look at the post above you, it was a joke. I guess I'm out of the loop.
Activity: 1078
Merit: 502
November 06, 2012, 10:35:54 AM
Especially since you'll be shipping product in about 4 weeks.
Correction: 4-6 weeks.

Did I miss this announcement, or does ckolivas know something that we don't?

I guess he would have a better idea than most, since he will/has receive a dev unit.

Could you elaborate on how you know BFL won't be shipping for 4-6 weeks?

Common sense?
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
November 06, 2012, 10:34:09 AM

I guess he would have a better idea than most, since he will/has receive a dev unit.

So ASIC support will be in 4-6 weeks? Or are you talking of availability of asics?

It's a joke, for the longest time BFL shipment time for the Singles was listed as 4 to 6 weeks despite being months late.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026
In Cryptocoins I Trust
November 06, 2012, 10:29:37 AM

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
November 06, 2012, 09:34:39 AM
end of October/Beginning of November time frame

I was under the assumption, as I"m sure many here were, that this "visit" would occur prior to any product shipping, in order to show the community what you've got.
I'm pretty sure we are now in beginning on November.   Will this happen soon?  If not, I think it will be a waste of time for all involved.  Especially since you'll be shipping product in about 4 weeks.

Personally I would have been more inclined to  be happy if the "visit" was by an independent test house,  say TUV Rhineland or SGS.
Those guys have ample experience in evaluation of production/quality & shipping  installations not to mention DUPRO capability.

This smacks too much of grandstanding.

HC
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
November 04, 2012, 10:34:55 AM
Activity: 956
Merit: 1001
November 04, 2012, 10:13:33 AM
end of October/Beginning of November time frame

I was under the assumption, as I"m sure many here were, that this "visit" would occur prior to any product shipping, in order to show the community what you've got.
I'm pretty sure we are now in beginning on November.   Will this happen soon?  If not, I think it will be a waste of time for all involved.  Especially since you'll be shipping product in about 4 weeks.

legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
November 04, 2012, 01:41:23 AM
Yochdog and Kano are the ones selected,but no exact info on when,yet  Roll Eyes

One flying in from Australia and the other from Idaho. Hell, I'll go and pick up The Joint and we can drive there in my Caddy.
legendary
Activity: 2955
Merit: 1049
November 02, 2012, 02:53:49 PM
Activity: 535
Merit: 500
November 02, 2012, 03:37:47 AM
Kano is an excellent choice. He's certainly a no nonsense type of guy. He's not BFL's biggest fan, but he seems pretty damn honest and straight forward to me.

If BFL has the goods, I'm sure he tell us exactly that.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001
November 02, 2012, 12:10:08 AM
Yochdog and Kano are the ones selected,but no exact info on when,yet  Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
November 01, 2012, 11:02:12 PM
... so who's going?

Coz the discussion moved on over to the BFL forum.
The result is that Yochdog was chosen from the votes.

I know the result - but haven't heard any news re. visiting BFL labs (not here and not on forums@bfl).

Do you know when Yochdog is going?

Still waiting for firm dates from Josh.  Hoping we get it nailed down soon. 
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
November 01, 2012, 02:14:33 PM
Also, what do you guys think about Casascius and Meni Rosenfeld?

I trust these 2 a LOAD more than inaba BitcoinINV / gigavps / pretty much anyone.

but I guess I'm 23 pages late to the game... so who's going?

EDIT: I mixed people up, corrected
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
November 01, 2012, 02:10:32 PM
I thought the Cairnsmore1 used 4 heatsinks, 1 fan?
It does - one heatsink per chip, all cooled by a single fan blowing air downwards onto them.

What a great idea! I guess that's what happens when you actually have experience in the field.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
November 01, 2012, 11:37:13 AM
It does - one heatsink per chip, all cooled by a single fan blowing air downwards onto them.

Mmm, so it does.  I should have looked more closely at the pics.

To use a different example then, the Radeon GPUs use a single heatsink block to cool quite a few different chips, with "thermal pads" used to help insure firm surface contact and transfer of heat.
Activity: 686
Merit: 564
November 01, 2012, 08:46:23 AM
November 01, 2012, 07:59:46 AM
Potentially a recipe for a manufacturing disaster.

Since there are 8 chips ALL relying on a SINGLE heatsink, a tiny variation in manufacturing could leave the chips at slightly different hights, resulting in chips that may not make contact with the bed of the heatsink, or worse!!, chips that are slightly higher and have the BGA connections compressed and fractured because they get compressed to be at the same hight as the surrounding devices.

Cairnsmore1 uses a similar design, cooling 4 chips (484-BGA I think) with a single heatsink/fan.  Does it have these kind of problems?

The Cairnsmore1 can do 60GH/s ?
Wow I'm glad I did not buy an ASIC..  next you will be telling me that  a .13um design is  better than a 90nm process.........
Activity: 720
Merit: 525
November 01, 2012, 02:57:52 AM

Since there are 8 chips ALL relying on a SINGLE heatsink, a tiny variation in manufacturing could leave the chips at slightly different hights, resulting in chips that may not make contact with the bed of the heatsink, or worse!!, chips that are slightly higher and have the BGA connections compressed and fractured because they get compressed to be at the same hight as the surrounding devices.

Cairnsmore1 uses a similar design, cooling 4 chips (484-BGA I think) with a single heatsink/fan.  Does it have these kind of problems?

November 01, 2012, 02:50:29 AM
Not at that level of heat dissipation.
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
November 01, 2012, 02:27:47 AM

Not to mention the "incursions" of the Ceramic capacitors UNDER the heatsink & at a HIGHER level than the chips requiring cooling.
(So HOW did they strap on a 'heatsink' to test the device?)

Don't EVEN get me started about the track routing around the heatsink fixing holes

Custom shaped heat sink and thermal pad?
Pages:
Jump to: