Pages:
Author

Topic: bit pit - (LP, ESMPPS, 8-decimal payout, SSL, API, 0% fee, Almost 0% Stales!) - page 12. (Read 80568 times)

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol
wow! 140GH! with 100GH we have 1 block/day. then prop is working just fine!
i would say to monitor the pool behavior for a while before any changes are made Smiley

The problem is that a lot of the miners will go away when the block becomes too long, as had happened in the 10th round. I am waiting for the changes to be implemented to return to the pool.

(I wish I had changed so quick because I missed the quick round and went to BTCGuild that had a horrible luck strike. Oh well.)
Activity: 226
Merit: 100
wow! 140GH! with 100GH we have 1 block/day. then prop is working just fine!
i would say to monitor the pool behavior for a while before any changes are made Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
SMPPS does not "carry debt". If/when the scenario rises that the total payout exceeds the block income plus the reserve funds, then the pool simply divides the block income plus the reserve by however many shares there were that round.
While it doesn't carry debt (because it never rewards more than it has), it does remember the difference, and try to make it up in the future.
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006
Ah ok, then I must have misread that part or it was changed since I first took a look at it...

All in all then the pool might just pay less than PPS on unlucky rounds or PPS on all other rounds - seems like a really bad deal to mine there, if pool funds are low! Thanks for the heads-up!
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
The way I understand SMPPS from reading here: http://eligius.st/wiki/index.php/Shared_Maximum_PPS
and from talking with luke-jr and reading some of his other posts...

SMPPS does not "carry debt". If/when the scenario rises that the total payout exceeds the block income plus the reserve funds, then the pool simply divides the block income plus the reserve by however many shares there were that round. This leads to a situation where the SMPPS shares are worth less than their advertised price. But, that is all. When the next round starts the the pool has 0 reserves and 0 debt.

The key part to this is the last part of luke-jr's pseudo code:

Code:
else:
   Pay each miner PPSamount / idealPayTotal * availableFunds

Nowhere in there does it mention "remembering" the difference between the ideal payout and the realized payout. It simply switch to "proportional" over the total available funds. So, technically speaking, unless the reserve fund is 0 when the payout exceeds the income, it never does true proportional.
legendary
How would you pay out on bad luck strikes then?

pseudocode:
IF round_shares > difficulty
    pay proportionally
ELSE
    pay per share

?
This would mean you would ALWAYS win as a pool operator and otherwise it would be like proportional...

Please explain how this should work "so it does not remembers negative strikes"
legendary
You could make it either way, but honestly I would make it so it does not remembers negative strikes, because otherwise it will stop newcomers from joining the pool. At some point the pool should almost always have a positive credit and rarely touch 0, because variance should even out.
legendary
You should get paid eventually. If however a lot of people leave the pool it will get very hard (and very expensive...) for the remaining ones to pay the depts from the past.

With round-based payouts you have much higher variance than PPS, but you're not depending on what happened before that round (in SMPPS in essence the "round" goes on forever).

Since it can be expected that a lot of people might quit mining when the payout per block gets cut in half, if a SMPPS pool at that point of time has a big dept towards it's miners from bad luck, it will take a REALLY long time until that is being repaid (or it might not be repaid at all - I would strongly recommend to start at 0 depts/balance after each payout split with SMPPS, as you need 100% more luck to pay past shares.)
Activity: 607
Merit: 500
i think in SMPPS you get payed eventually when the luck changes from bad to good in the future? or you loose some shares for good?
 i am confused!
legendary
In proportional if you have a bad luck streak you get paid less. Fullstop. In SMPPS if you have a bad luck streak you might be able to recover a part.
In proportional (or PPLNS for that matter) if you had a bad luck streak 2 weeks ago and now have good luck, you earn more. In SMPPS you are dependent on the whole payout history of the pool since it was started if you get paid at all for your shares.
legendary
SMPPS has the disadvantage that the pool can be over time arbitrarily high in dept towards it's miners. If you had a maximum of hashrate during a bad luck streak, these miners will never get paid at all.
Yes, but they would not be payed in proportional either. So its not like you are loosing anything.
In proportional they would get paid as soon as the next block is found...

In proportional if you have a bad luck streak you get paid less. Fullstop. In SMPPS if you have a bad luck streak you might be able to recover a part.
legendary
SMPPS has the disadvantage that the pool can be over time arbitrarily high in dept towards it's miners. If you had a maximum of hashrate during a bad luck streak, these miners will never get paid at all.
Yes, but they would not be payed in proportional either. So its not like you are loosing anything.
In proportional they would get paid as soon as the next block is found...
legendary

legendary
i like how the SMPPS pool arsbitcoin.com is working. it has ~0.5% stales though.
this pool will be better Wink
Activity: 504
FPGA Mining LLC
Sad news... Apparently ~60% of our hashrate are pool hoppers. Time for SMPPS, me thinks.
FPGA Mining LLC
you should set a poll in order to vote what system we want Wink
now i see that this ~0% stale pool would be ideal for SMPPS Wink
it has the potencial to be the best pool ever Cheesy
The problem with that kind of democracy is that people often don't fully understand the implications of what they're voting for.
Ideally we should just reach a consensus within a discussion here. It seems like SMPPS is being favored, so now the question would be which of the variants that I outlined above.
you should set a poll in order to vote what system we want Wink
now i see that this ~0% stale pool would be ideal for SMPPS Wink
it has the potencial to be the best pool ever Cheesy
FPGA Mining LLC
I think SMPPS or PPLNS would discourage the hoppers, especially pplns.. since the block right now takes longer ppl are leaving and we dropped down 50% hashrate... I personally am more fascinated with prop, as it has more like a goldwashing experience ;o) ,... but for the pool to grow SMPPS or PPLNS would be better.
See http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=12181.msg253239#msg253239 for an explanation why Score/PPLNS isn't good for a growing pool. (PPLNS will behave very similarly to Score, and actually I simplified Score to the PPLNS case in that post, so it should be applicable for both.)
Activity: 30
Merit: 0
Hey,

I just left a comment on that issue. I hope that helps explain the issue.

I am going to try and find cdhowie and perahps between the two of us we can find something. Also, though I don't think I mentioned it at github, we're also working with the nginx team to see if perhaps they know of a way to remove the erroneous trailing CRLF before it even enters Node.

Excellent, thanks!
Pages:
Jump to: