Pages:
Author

Topic: BitBet Stole ~$7,000 from me (10 BTC) - page 17. (Read 58157 times)

Han
Activity: 40
Merit: 0
November 20, 2013, 06:43:57 PM
This is stealing and the behavior of the owners/operators is outrageous, in my opinion. That policy is completely unjustifiable and I hope nobody uses this site until it's changed.

What's the best way to organize a boycott / raise awareness?

In addition to the suggestions in this thread; under each bet on bitbet, there is an unmoderated discussion page where you can talk about this issue with other bitbettors.
Activity: 756
Merit: 522
November 20, 2013, 06:37:49 PM
Wow Snackman,

Thank you for raising awareness about this important issue. I'm sorry you had to pay the price of losing 10 BTC to frauds. Now the community knows. I hope this issue is resolved quickly. I would much prefer those who received your bitcoin simply return it to your address, since no services were rendered. It wouldn't seem right for a company to take 10 BTC after *no* services were rendered, and just say, "Oh well, it says in the fine print that we can steal from you. Sux! Lol!"

I just tweeted about it. Hopefully they will do what is right and return what is yours.

Quoting this inept sockpuppeting for the future lols.

You fucktards, seriously. Get a life and more importantly: get over yourselves.

I probably shouldn't even ask, but what does this mean? I don't get it.

It's a jab at your virginity.
Activity: 260
Merit: 250
snack of all trades
November 20, 2013, 06:37:36 PM
Right. Let's look at an example of this "I'm going to recklessly and stupidly throw my BTC around without the slightest clue of what I'm doing and then demand that the people who get hit with my projections fix my problems for me" at work:

23:20:00 dub: snackman: its unfortunate for you yes, perhaps you should try to understand what youa re dealing with next time

23:21:06 snackman: dub That's an unnecessarily moralistic approach, and furthermore a hallmark of self-affected geeks' fear/loathing of the mainstream, which I think is misplaced in this instance

23:21:15 assbot: [MPEX] [S.MPOE] 12500 @ 0.0008353 = 10.4413 BTC [-]

23:21:24 mike_c: snackman: here it is without snark. say your bet lost. all you would have to do is send a different transaction with a fee that would get confirmed first and you didn't lose anything.

23:21:47 snackman: bitbets, if it would like to be a great service, should make itself easy to understand and operate, and not have stupid rules like this one

23:22:38 snackman: mike_c I don't understand

I would disagree that I hit anyone with my "projections" [sic], and that in fact I was harmed by your site's unfair policy, which you have yet to explain the rationale for. Also, taking my statement "I don't understand" out of context is pretty low.

So that's:

1. Deciding you're ready for BTC either without knowing or without caring about transaction fees;
I know and care about transaction fees, but Bets of Bitcoin did not properly operate my transaction.

2. Deciding you're ready for betting without knowing or without caring about the way betting services work;
You are right: I made a mistake by assuming that I was dealing with a reputable institution.

3. Betting when the resolution criteria being met was an imminent event;
If your site allows betting, people will bet.

4. Using Bets of Bitcoin without having done any due diligence, which would have revealed that they're pretty much useless, for reasons including their lack of using tx fees;
I am much more disappointed with BitBet's conduct than Bets of Bitcoin's.

5. Not reading or not caring about BitBet's FAQ and the open, fully explained, warnings about the rare potential for this very situation on this very forum;
How much bitcoin has BitBet taken in from this practice?

6. Insisting that it's other people who are stupid, such that those who were attempting to help you out lost interest in your ranting.
I have not insulted anyone.

That you have the gall to suggest that it's someone other than yourself that dropped the ball is pretty incredible.
You are outrageous.

I notice you deleted your erroneous suggestion that I cancel my bet by sending more bitcoin to you, which would not have arrived before bet closure and would also have been stolen.
Activity: 13
Merit: 0
November 20, 2013, 06:32:28 PM
Wow Snackman,

Thank you for raising awareness about this important issue. I'm sorry you had to pay the price of losing 10 BTC to frauds. Now the community knows. I hope this issue is resolved quickly. I would much prefer those who received your bitcoin simply return it to your address, since no services were rendered. It wouldn't seem right for a company to take 10 BTC after *no* services were rendered, and just say, "Oh well, it says in the fine print that we can steal from you. Sux! Lol!"

I just tweeted about it. Hopefully they will do what is right and return what is yours.
Activity: 251
November 20, 2013, 06:27:57 PM

1. Deciding you're ready for BTC either without knowing or without caring about transaction fees;
2. Deciding you're ready for betting without knowing or without caring about the way betting services work;
3. Betting when the resolution criteria being met was an imminent event;
4. Using Bets of Bitcoin without having done any due diligence, which would have revealed that they're pretty much useless, for reasons including their lack of using tx fees;
5. Not reading or not caring about BitBet's FAQ and the open, fully explained, warnings about the rare potential for this very situation on this very forum;
6. Insisting that it's other people who are stupid, such that those who were attempting to help you out lost interest in your ranting.

1.- BTC is a currency that has the option to send transactions without tx fees, that does not give you the right to keep his money.

2.- Betting services work in a way that you have to provide the bet and win in order to keep the money of the person that made the bet. If for some reason that was the user fault you failed to provide such bet, that does not give you the right to keep his money.

3.- If betting on an imminent event was that important the service provider should prevent it from being possible. So again, that does not give you the right to keep his money.

4.- Using a different betting service should be no reason for discrimination or give you the right to keep his money.

5.- FAQs are not user agreements. And even if this was in the user agreement, it still makes it illegal. The user bought a bet, but no bet was provided. After the transaction was confirmed you have no reason to keep the BTC since you didn't provide the bet. If the FAQs said that if you failed to provide tx fees you would be entitled to own his properties it would be as illegal as this. User's agreements are made in order to protect the provider from certain risks, but failing to read FAQs is no excuse for keeping his money. And since the term does not condition the receiving of such money this action is a theft. Why? Imagine this:

I make a website called tvrepairs.com. I advertise that I will fix any issue for 200 usd. In the user agreement at the bottom I put that if you don't call the technician by the name charles he will be charged an extra 1000 usd.

If the terms you apply to your customers harms them economically in an event that doesn't affect you economically then you are scamming people. I hope you realize this and act accordingly, to my point of view, he was stolen 6k usd.

6.- His ability to think or the fact that he call other people names does not give you the right to keep his money.

I'm hoping I'm clear enough for you to comprehend that. Even if the address from which his BTC where sent can't be the same than his receiving address, this should be sorted out with bets of bitcoin so that this user received his BTC back.

I would suggest the op to start a post in scam accusations or move this one there.
Activity: 342
November 20, 2013, 06:21:14 PM
This is stealing and the behavior of the owners/operators is outrageous, in my opinion. That policy is completely unjustifiable and I hope nobody uses this site until it's changed.

I don't know what you can do besides threads like this, maybe take it to the scam accusation thread. Put this thread or others in your signature perhaps, use word of mouth.

Thank you OP for this thread. I will place my bets on other sites. This practice is shady as fuck.. Because even if you include a proper Fee the tx can be delayed quite some time at this moment

No problem - what other sites would you recommend (besides Bets of Bitcoin)?

Predictious.com offers something similar although I've never used them.

Back on planet Earth, the reason you've not been used is that you have yet to change. GLWT.

I probably shouldn't even ask, but what does this mean? I don't get it.

I don't use your service(s) and I'm not here to get people to use any of mine, I just don't like honest people being screwed and then insulted to boot. Bitbet keeping these coins, which did not count towards any bet, is akin to stealing. The policy is grossly unjust and unreasonable, and putting the policy in the FAQ doesn't make it any better. 

I've never been affected by this policy, but I won't stand for others being screwed by it and you can count me as someone who will never use Bitbet or any other related services. I hope others follow suit. You can go ahead and keep lobbing cryptic insults at me and others who weigh in on the situation but it doesn't make you or Bitbet look any better.
November 20, 2013, 05:43:37 PM
Right. Let's look at an example of this "I'm going to recklessly and stupidly throw my BTC around without the slightest clue of what I'm doing and then demand that the people who get hit with my projections fix my problems for me" at work:

Something like this perhaps.

Back on planet Earth, the reason you've not been used is that you have yet to change. GLWT.
snack of all trades
November 20, 2013, 05:32:26 PM
Thank you OP for this thread. I will place my bets on other sites. This practice is shady as fuck.. Because even if you include a proper Fee the tx can be delayed quite some time at this moment

No problem - what other sites would you recommend (besides Bets of Bitcoin)?
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001
CEO Bitpanda.com
November 20, 2013, 05:29:15 PM
snack of all trades
November 20, 2013, 05:16:36 PM

Activity: 342
November 20, 2013, 05:13:32 PM
snack of all trades
November 20, 2013, 04:40:05 PM
You still haven't explained the reason that Bitbet steals the coins - I only went "against sense" and acted in a "particularly risky manner" in the context of your site's nonsensical, predatory policy.

MPOE-PR, please explain Bitbet's rationale for the policy.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
nearly dead
November 20, 2013, 08:57:58 AM
I sincerely have no idea why someone puts bitcoin in that place after seeing that rule.

If a couple of pools were interested in fucking up MP's reputation, they could start taking longer to include transactions into blocks if bitbet addresses are involved. Just take care to not wait for way too many blocks, otherwise the pool's reputation get fucked.

Why do people who have no idea about anything (such as you) feel the need to prove it in writing? Go start a pool, fail, then see why the pools that succeed don't fuck with the Central Bank of Bitcoin.

So your reply is that stealing coins is fine ? Central Bank of Bitcoin, lol

It is cool that even trying to make this reply as stupid as I could, yours is still way ahead in the stupidness level. Calling names doesn't get issues fixed, darling.
November 20, 2013, 08:50:06 AM
I sincerely have no idea why someone puts bitcoin in that place after seeing that rule.

If a couple of pools were interested in fucking up MP's reputation, they could start taking longer to include transactions into blocks if bitbet addresses are involved. Just take care to not wait for way too many blocks, otherwise the pool's reputation get fucked.

Why do people who have no idea about anything (such as you) feel the need to prove it in writing? Go start a pool, fail, then see why the pools that succeed don't fuck with the Central Bank of Bitcoin.
Activity: 98
nearly dead
November 19, 2013, 09:24:22 PM
What's the actual reason for BitBet to steal the coins in this situation ? "You're screwed", as it is written in the FAQ, is not a proper answer.

Explaining to users quite amply and repeatedly that going against sense and acting in a particularly risky manner is not wise and will not result in refunds, and acting accordingly, has nothing in common with stealing.

You still haven't explained the reason that Bitbet steals the coins - I only went "against sense" and acted in a "particularly risky manner" in the context of your site's nonsensical, predatory policy.

Activity: 100
November 19, 2013, 09:18:26 PM
I noticed more than a few bets with incorrect resolution dates at BitBet,

which they do not change or fix. Really have to read the fine print with these folks.

I love the "tough shit" attitude- not what anybody would want to hear when expressing a grievance.
snack of all trades
November 19, 2013, 09:11:52 PM
I'm "connected" to BitBet inasmuch as I represent MPEx here on the forums, and the owner co-owns BitBet itself. I see that you already talked to actual mods on IRC.
It's disingenuous for you to join this conversation without explicitly stating that you represent Bitbet (which your statement leaves no doubt of - in spite of the quotes around "connected"). No one in the IRC would declare their association with Bitbet, so no - I did not speak to "actual mods" on IRC.

Sigh. I understand that it's hard not to take it personally when you've lost BTC, but no, seriously [...]
To suggest that I'm "taking it personally" is to sidestep and downplay the issue at hand: namely that your site's policy is unjust and disreputable.

[...] with a zillion "services" out there run by the unskilled who won't tell people what they've done wrong, and instead try to band-aid over things with "being nice" until they inevitably fail and take everyone's coins with them [...]
This is irrelevant.

What's the actual reason for BitBet to steal the coins in this situation ? "You're screwed", as it is written in the FAQ, is not a proper answer.

Explaining to users quite amply and repeatedly that going against sense and acting in a particularly risky manner is not wise and will not result in refunds, and acting accordingly, has nothing in common with stealing.

November 19, 2013, 07:26:25 PM

Moreover:

If you want to use the service you'll have to read and understand. Operators that bend the rules to fix your mistakes for you can't meanwhile be publicly traded and held. The policy's not going away, but you can certainly prevent yourself from making totally unnecessary mistakes.

Transaction fee present or not, the rule is unjust because it keeps customers' bitcoin for no good reason. The fact that my failure to include a transaction fee has to be 'remedied' (your word choice is an unfair use of rhetoric - are you connected to Bitbet in any way?) is only due to Bitbet's unfair policy. Furthermore, the blame for the lack of transaction fee on my transfer resides solely with Bets of Bitcoin (who have yet to respond to my email saying as much, btw).

Your so-called 'earnest' hope that I 'adjust' smacks of still more self-righteous condescension.

Sigh. I understand that it's hard not to take it personally when you've lost BTC, but no, seriously, if you're into BTC I think it'd be great if you spent the time and the energy (this isn't "condescension", again; it takes a lot of time and energy, far more than most people are used to expending, to wisely and correctly handle Bitcoin, especially with a zillion "services" out there run by the unskilled who won't tell people what they've done wrong, and instead try to band-aid over things with "being nice" until they inevitably fail and take everyone's coins with them) to get up to speed.

I'm "connected" to BitBet inasmuch as I represent MPEx here on the forums, and the owner co-owns BitBet itself. I see that you already talked to actual mods on IRC.
snack of all trades
November 19, 2013, 07:20:11 PM
[...]are you connected to Bitbet in any way?
Well, bitbet is owned and operated by Mircea Popescu, the self proclaimed mastermind of all that is Bitcoin and prowd owner overlord employer of MPOE-PR. Roll Eyes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2MPoqqzwdY
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006
November 19, 2013, 07:14:22 PM
[...]are you connected to Bitbet in any way?
Well, bitbet is owned and operated by Mircea Popescu, the self proclaimed mastermind of all that is Bitcoin and prowd owner overlord employer of MPOE-PR. Roll Eyes
Pages:
Jump to: