Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin 2013: The Future of Payments - San Jose, CA - May 17-19, 2013 - page 12. (Read 17384 times)

Activity: 167
Merit: 100
Not to change the direction of the thread, but is "Technomage" a Babylon 5 reference, by any chance?

It is. I started using the nickname after reading the book trilogy "Passing of the Technomages", which is some of the best B5 related anything that you can experience. It's so good that I'd rank it fairly high on my overall book ranking.

Excellent, and agreed, though I really enjoyed the PsiCorps trilogy as well... the ultimate fate of Bester was one of the things I wanted to know after the TV series ended. I'm glad JMS declared the book trilogies to be canon to the story line.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1011
Great, too bad it's in the US. Organize one in Europe and I'll be there!
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056
Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com
Not to change the direction of the thread, but is "Technomage" a Babylon 5 reference, by any chance?

It is. I started using the nickname after reading the book trilogy "Passing of the Technomages", which is some of the best B5 related anything that you can experience. It's so good that I'd rank it fairly high on my overall book ranking.
I'm coming to the conference all the way from Finland. Very excited.

legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056
Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com
I'm coming to the conference all the way from Finland. Very excited.
Man, I really wish I could go to this, but with PorcFest (The Porcupine Freedom Festival in New Hampshire) coming up and expenses associated with that, I had to choose one or the other. In that case, PorcFest wins. Hopefully I can make it to Bitcoin2014... any idea if there are plans for another one next year, or is that on hold until it's seen how successful this one is?
legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1022
I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.
This may be too late to organize right now, but next year you should have a session where everyone in the room just laughs at the terrible media coverage of bitcoin. Point out all the factually incorrect statements, the ignorant criticisms and the outright FUD. Or better yet, turn it into a trivia game with contestants answer whether the reporters got it right or wrong. Put the whole thing online. It'll be great!
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1099
Similarly, protect your smartphone with Bitcoin Wallet.
staff
Activity: 4242
Merit: 8672
Another piece of fun advice:  Laptop thefts happen with some regularity at tech conferences ... at a Bitcoin conference if the thieves don't STEAL ALL THE LAPTOPS, they're sleeping on the job.

Prepare for theft by having a good backup and either not leaving coins on your laptop or at least using full disk encryption and wallet encryption. Be prepared to keep your laptop with you at all times. Consider bringing a lock for it.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
On Thursday before the conference is:

GigaOM Bitcoin Meetup 5/16/13 6PM - 9PM
 - http://bitcoinsanjose.eventbrite.com/
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
You guys realize this things going to be a media frenzy now. I hope the venue holds up.

Good point! Everybody, remember to look and behave professionally. Top hats and monocles all the way!

Also, if there IS media, they WILL try to talk to you. Take this from someone with a lot of experience, Do not talk to them! You WILL sound like a babbling idiot! If they want legitimate bitcoin related stories, they will be trying to get to the top people behind bitcoin, like guys behind BitPay, Bitcoin Foundation, Bitinstant, etc. If all they are looking for is to write up some sensationalist garbage about this crazy libertarian currency that's supported by gold-bug, tinhat wearing, gun-toting yokles, they'll be coming for you. So if they come for you, just remember, don't be that exploited yokle! No matter how much the "Look, I'm on TV!" tempts you.

Also, trolls are not just on the internet. Bitcoin is big enough for them to bother now, so there could be some of those at the convention, too. If you happen to come across any, just behave and ignore them.

great advice,  now... looking at airfares and costs, would spending 3.5K USD for this convention be worth it ? coming in from scandinavia.. one one side i an thinking i will be taking part in an historical event, on the other hand - the wallet cries. decisions, decisions..
Activity: 328
Merit: 250
According to this map, the Marriot is the closest hotel to "Hall 1" where the convention is, narrowly beating the Hilton.

http://mappery.com/map-of/McEnery-Convention-Center-San-Jose-California-Map

When is the event Friday night?  Trying to figure out how early my flight needs to leave.
Activity: 453
Everybody, remember to look and behave professionally.

No way! It's animal costumes for admission. By May 17 everyone there will be a millionaire so WTF right.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
You guys realize this things going to be a media frenzy now. I hope the venue holds up.

Good point! Everybody, remember to look and behave professionally. Top hats and monocles all the way!

Also, if there IS media, they WILL try to talk to you. Take this from someone with a lot of experience, Do not talk to them! You WILL sound like a babbling idiot! If they want legitimate bitcoin related stories, they will be trying to get to the top people behind bitcoin, like guys behind BitPay, Bitcoin Foundation, Bitinstant, etc. If all they are looking for is to write up some sensationalist garbage about this crazy libertarian currency that's supported by gold-bug, tinhat wearing, gun-toting yokles, they'll be coming for you. So if they come for you, just remember, don't be that exploited yokle! No matter how much the "Look, I'm on TV!" tempts you.

Also, trolls are not just on the internet. Bitcoin is big enough for them to bother now, so there could be some of those at the convention, too. If you happen to come across any, just behave and ignore them.
Activity: 364
damn too bad i cant make this one. just so happens im not in the area on the day. cant wait to see what gets discussed there, hopefully some good videos get uploaded for me to watch after the event.

Given that it's in San Jose, I'm hoping it's a VC frenzy.

Not the growth whores. Bitcoin is actually an important invention for once, not some geo-social, mayor of Starbucks type bullshit.

"Jeez, those assholes over there keep suggesting we pivot Bitcoin towards 'the picture-messaging vertical'"

Just kidding, those guys are doing good work over at Coinbase and Bitpay etc.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1004

Given that it's in San Jose, I'm hoping it's a VC frenzy.
Activity: 24
Merit: 0
My buddy and I are driving up from LA.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031
Rational Exuberance
Hey Lindsay,

What's the food situation? I don't see anything on the website about that. Is some food included? Lunch maybe? Will there be venders selling food for bitcoin?

I haven't had breakfast yet this morning, so all I can think about is food Smiley

Thanks!
Pages:
Jump to: