Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Currency Symbol ฿ - page 10. (Read 79362 times)

legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1001
bitcoin - the aerogel of money
July 05, 2010, 10:30:59 AM
I would say: Use whatever you feel like using!

The spirit of Bitcoin is that there is no need for a central authority or "official" policy as with other currencies.

There is no reason why we can't have multiple interchangeable symbols/notations for the same currency.

And even if we do adopt an "official" symbol, users might not stick with it anyhow. 

We should just let it evolve organically, like a word in a natural language, and not worry too much about it at this early stage.
Activity: 52
Merit: 0
July 04, 2010, 10:52:02 PM
There's nothing wrong with multiple currencies using the same symbol. But I think you are going to spend more times having that proposal. But for me, I will support you on that idea. Good luck!
Activity: 490
Merit: 509
My avatar pic says it all
February 23, 2010, 10:43:27 PM
It is probably best to price your goods in whatever fiat currency you are dealing with online (usually USD). It is less confusing to the consumer. Trust me on this one. Once the customer has agreed to purchase whatever you are selling -- exchange it on the fly and show them the total in BCs.

This is most likely the way I am going to do it.

Cheers!
Activity: 23
Merit: 0
February 16, 2010, 12:34:53 AM
The Baht symbol alone Could Cause some Confusion yes, but combine it with the symbol for the Costa Rican Colón and you get;

฿₡

so you could say, please send me ฿₡50.00.  

It is not unheard of to use two or more symbols to represent a currency, for example:

the Nicaraguan Cordobas uses: C$
the Dominican Peso uses: RD$

EDIT: Remember when you could buy a shave and a haircut for "two bits"?  Well that day may soon come again.
legendary
Activity: 860
Merit: 1021
February 06, 2010, 10:55:34 AM
i will stick to BTC, too.
Activity: 429
Merit: 919
February 05, 2010, 06:23:50 AM
Do as you see fit, but personally I'd just go with bc or btc to avoid confusion.
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1720
https://youtu.be/DsAVx0u9Cw4 ... Dr. WHO < KLF
February 05, 2010, 05:50:28 AM
I guess if we need to make it a bit more distinguishable then we could adopt the italic version. Grin

฿
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1720
https://youtu.be/DsAVx0u9Cw4 ... Dr. WHO < KLF
February 05, 2010, 05:44:54 AM
BTC has already become the standard for the three-letter code I think and it makes a lot of sense.

Using ฿ as the currency symbol I think is acceptable and I approve of the choice.

The fact that it is not on many keyboards could easily be overcome by including it in a copy / paste box in the Bitcoin application in future versions, if it is adopted as the official symbol. Grin

For any windows or mac users that don't have M$ Office products the symbol is available using OpenOffice.org free and open productivity suite alternative.

Insert > Special Characters ( Font = Tahoma , Subset = Thai )

P.S. Maybe one day we might be able to trade BTCUSD in a Meta Trader style application !  Shocked Cool
Activity: 252
Merit: 268
February 04, 2010, 11:52:04 PM
There's nothing wrong with multiple currencies using the same symbol. Many different currencies use the dollar sign, $. The ampersand, &, already has many very well defined meanings, including multiple uses as a prefix. It absolutely is not a currency symbol and using it as such would cause a lot more confusion than using an already existent obscure currency symbol. There is a generic currency symbol, ¤, which I considered using until I noticed the very beautiful ฿. You can type ฿ in Ubuntu by pressing Ctrl-Shift-U 0E3F and in Windows by pressing Alt 0E3F. I will be using it and I hope it catches on.
Activity: 41
Merit: 13
February 04, 2010, 10:24:06 PM
I think that using any existing currency's symbol will cause potential confusion. Another disadvantage of that symbol is that it is not a key on most keyboards, so it would not be able to be typed easily. I would think that the ampersand (&) would be a better choice.

I agree that its three-letter code could be BTC.
Activity: 252
Merit: 268
February 04, 2010, 09:48:53 PM
I propose that we adopt the Thai baht currency symbol, ฿, as the official bitcoin currency symbol and BTC as the official bitcoin three letter currency code.
Pages:
Jump to: