Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Currency Symbol ฿ - page 7. (Read 79362 times)

Activity: 546
Merit: 500
July 04, 2011, 04:30:59 AM
Stop making this more confusing than it has to be. Every currency should have a 3 letter code.

General consensus has determined that the 3 letter currency code is: BTC

There is less consensus on the symbol. But the most common usage is: ฿

I would stick with those two choices as to avoid confusion and force everyone to start using the same thing.

I agree with you on BTC, but the baht symbol is already taken as a currency symbol.
legendary
Activity: 1536
Merit: 1000
electronic [r]evolution
July 04, 2011, 04:27:29 AM
Stop making this more confusing than it has to be. Every currency should have a 3 letter code.

General consensus has determined that the 3 letter currency code is: BTC

There is less consensus on the symbol. But the most common usage is: ฿

I would stick with those two choices as to avoid confusion and force everyone to start using the same thing.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
July 04, 2011, 04:13:58 AM
BC will get bitcoin associated with British Columbia and all that BC bud that ends up in USA ... we wouldn't want Bitcoin associated with BC bud, it would give it a bad name

ß and BTC! Nice and simple. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348
Eadem mutata resurgo
July 04, 2011, 03:27:49 AM

BC will get bitcoin associated with British Columbia and all that BC bud that ends up in USA ... we wouldn't want Bitcoin associated with BC bud, it would give it a bad name
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
July 03, 2011, 08:23:55 PM
I think it should be something we can type, not like all these images people are making. How to you get to that cool B ^^

On a Mac, it's Option-S. On Windows, I believe it's Control-RightAlt-S. On Linux, if I recall, it's Compose s s. (Hit Compose, often rightAlt, then press s twice.)
I have windows I got that box up once before by searching it. what's it called (the thing with all those characters) The controls you told me just told me my computer info..
July 03, 2011, 08:20:51 PM
I think it should be something we can type, not like all these images people are making. How to you get to that cool B ^^

On a Mac, it's Option-S. On Windows, I believe it's Control-RightAlt-S. On Linux, if I recall, it's Compose s s. (Hit Compose, often rightAlt, then press s twice.)
Eri
Activity: 264
July 03, 2011, 08:17:24 PM
I thought ฿ was used in a currency already?
it is, and so are many others, its apparently standard to reuse them. ฿ is only used for one other language (read the thread)
July 03, 2011, 08:11:05 PM
I thought ฿ was used in a currency already?
Activity: 56
Merit: 1
July 03, 2011, 08:03:55 PM
The problem with ß is that is that it is actively used by a country/language.

Same with ฿.

To my knowledge, Ⓑ doesn't have that problem; and it is a "B" in a circle - like a "coin".

Ⓑ is used by the Belgian railways Smiley It's also horrible for small typography.

ß is used a lot in German and could be confused with the Greek β.

BC will be confused with Before Christ.
XBC will be confused with Xbox and possibly XBMC. Does anyone even know about non-governmental currencies?

฿ and BTC are still the best options.
Eri
Activity: 264
July 03, 2011, 08:00:25 PM
any symbol that can not be currently copy/pasted will not work at this time.

id say a B with two lines would be ideal, to match the current symbol we use. however! two lines make the character hard to read when its small.. which is probably why the dollar sign uses one line when typed instead of the two its supposed to have when written.

this to me make the ฿ perfect.

as someone else said, context matters and nobody will confuse the BTC ฿ for the thai ฿, if a website trades BTC for other currencies nobody visiting is going to think "oh they must mean they are trading thai currency!" and in Any case where it might be confusing they would simply write "BTC ฿" or "Thai ฿".

i for one have never been able to use key codes to make symbols appear, they never work for me so id be copy/pasting them anyway! and of course their is always the lazy fallback of $ its on Every keyboard, its the default money symbol  "BTC $50" Etc. heck it isnt even needed in most cases, when you refer to money you do whats easy. people will more then likely stick with BTC when talking about it because its the fastest thing to type. so having to copy/paste "฿" is a non issue since it would hardly ever be used. same for any other symbol.

i also like the way ฿ looks, it seems to have more weight to it then ⓑ, which just looks "cheap" to me on my pc(may look better to others), and its a lowercase b as well @_@
Activity: 288
Merit: 263
Firstbits.com/1davux
July 03, 2011, 07:48:34 PM
About the code: I generally use BC, not BTC.

Rationale:
  • The point is having a short notation, so using 2 letters is no worse than using 3 (it's even better).
  • It's BitCoin anyway, so BC just makes more sense. BTC is kind of a hack.
  • Having exactly 3 letters would be necessary only for compliance with ISO standardization rules, that we violate right ahead anway because those very rules require than any currency that's not issued by a government starts with an X. We also don't seem to care too much about 3 letters whenever we write LREUR (euros at Liberty Reserve), mtgoxUSD (US dollars at MtGox), etc.
  • In due time, having BC will allow us to simply write XBC wherever standardization is absolutely necessary (very rare, but happens sometimes) and Bitcoin needs to be mentioned in the scope of an ISO-compliant publication or system.

So, for me it's ß and BC: "14.3ß" (European, postfix notation), "ß14.3" (American, prefix notation), "gimme your BC", "I need to exchange EUR and BC", and so on. And "XBC" in more strict contexts.
July 03, 2011, 07:26:06 PM
July 03, 2011, 06:46:17 PM

Yes, ß is used in a language, however, the way it is used does not provide for any ambiguity to exist. ß45.20 would have only one possible interpretation. Same with 45.20ß if anyone was noting it that way.
July 03, 2011, 06:35:12 PM

Same with ฿.

To my knowledge, Ⓑ doesn't have that problem; and it is a "B" in a circle - like a "coin".
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
July 03, 2011, 06:30:18 PM
I still vote ß, it's the easiest to type, it's in all the fonts, etc, etc. Smiley

Agreed. ß and BTC should be our official symbols.
July 03, 2011, 06:23:56 PM
I still vote ß, it's the easiest to type, it's in all the fonts, etc, etc. Smiley
July 03, 2011, 05:50:13 PM
Hello all, I decided I'd make an account JUST to show my support for Ⓑ (well, and probably to rant and ramble on other issues as well  Grin). Sure, $ is used in multiple places so why not the Thai ฿? I personally feel like bitcoin is such a radical step (at least for most people, who don't tend to think about the value of currency) that piggybacking on a current currency symbol just because it has the letter B in it is poor form. The Ⓑ (U+24B7) works just as well, or even better. It's shaped like a coin, it has a B, there is no potential for confusion.

I honestly can't think of an argument for ฿ and against Ⓑ.

^^^ asdfqwejpwek has a point...

I like Ⓑ.

Smiley
Activity: 30
Merit: 0
June 27, 2011, 05:28:17 PM
I like the ⓑ symbol most,

It is well recognizable, not that hard to type (Alt-24d1 or Ctrl-Shift-u 24d1 ),
it looks a bit like a coin and moreover it is quite similar to
the @, which did become a symbol of the electronic age.

The Baht symbol is also beautiful and the Baht-Cordoba combination
is well-looking and meaningful as well. However I think that
Baht alone would cause a little confusion at least in Thailand ;-)
June 27, 2011, 04:40:32 PM
I still think ß is a good choice for the currency symbol. Smiley

I love it:

• Looks like a B.
  • Relatively easy to type, even on non-german keyboards (for example "compose s s", and on windows it's surely easy as well).
  • Present on most fonts.
  • Non-ambiguous: ß4.26 or 4.26ß, or even 4ß26 can't mean anything else than 4.26 bitcoins, even in a German context.
  • Non-ambiguous (bis): doesn't conflict with another currency.
  • It looks nice, and it offers neat possibilities of playing with its design.

Unless/until someone comes up with a new, better idea, I'll use ß from now on.

Option-s to get the ß symbol on a Mac. RightAlt-s to get it on Windows. I don't use Windows but I decided to go find it, to make it easier on anyone who reads this. Smiley
Activity: 288
Merit: 263
Firstbits.com/1davux
June 27, 2011, 04:01:47 PM
I still think ß is a good choice for the currency symbol. Smiley

I love it:

• Looks like a B.
  • Relatively easy to type, even on non-german keyboards (for example "compose s s", and on windows it's surely easy as well).
  • Present on most fonts.
  • Non-ambiguous: ß4.26 or 4.26ß, or even 4ß26 can't mean anything else than 4.26 bitcoins, even in a German context.
  • Non-ambiguous (bis): doesn't conflict with another currency.
  • It looks nice, and it offers neat possibilities of playing with its design.

Unless/until someone comes up with a new, better idea, I'll use ß from now on.
Pages:
Jump to: