Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Currency Symbol ฿ - page 6. (Read 79357 times)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
July 09, 2011, 10:11:38 PM
This is why I keep suggesting ß, it shows up on everyone's browser. It's in pretty much every font ever. And unlike the Thai Baht symbol... it isn't being used to represent another currency already.
Please no - the reason it is in pretty much ever font is that it is a regular character in German Sad
Would you approve of a regular character in the English alphabet as the standard currency symbol for BTC?

Please reconsider further promoting this character - I know we're only about 90 million people but I would really rather not have a few dozen BTC symbols spread over all existing German texts...

Yes, it's used in German. The whole reason I know how to type ß in the first place, is that my family is German. I've asked several of them what they think of the use of ß for bitcoins. None of them have any problem with the idea. (And now two of my aunts and one of my cousins wants bitcoins...)

There's no ambiguity between the use of ß as a currency symbol with numbers, and the use of it in written German, whether you are using prefix or postfix notation.
July 09, 2011, 10:08:23 PM
FFS what's wrong with just using BTC and ฿?
[/thread]

BTC, nothing. ฿, it's already a different currency. You REALLY want to use the symbol for a fiat currency for Bitcoin just because it looks sorta like the logo artwork?
Activity: 383
Merit: 250
July 09, 2011, 06:49:42 PM
BTC works fine for me. All type-able on my keyboard.
Activity: 252
Merit: 251
July 09, 2011, 06:39:50 PM
So here's my suggestion to make everyone happy. Smiley Use ฿ for Bitcoins since this is already rather established. Use ß for milliBitcoins. If Bitcoin becomes a success, milliBitcoins will be more widely used than Bitcoins anyway so that should make those rooting for ß happy.

It's an arbitrary stunt by people who want to make even small amounts valuable.

People don't bid on auctions for 40 millieuros or 20 cents. They bid €0.40 or $0.20 which is the official denomination.

BTC is easy to understand and can be typed with any sort of keyboard. All the significant sites that sell merchandise or services for bitcoins list their prices in the format 0.07BTC, 0.52BTC etc..

I have never seen anyone sell items for microbitcoins or millibitcoins. I have seen tons of people selling items for 0.10BTC.
legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1001
Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data
July 09, 2011, 06:36:50 PM
Use ß for milliBitcoins. If Bitcoin becomes a success, milliBitcoins will be more widely used than Bitcoins anyway so that should make those rooting for ß happy.
Nooooo...

The horror! The horror!
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
July 09, 2011, 06:31:32 PM

BC will get bitcoin associated with British Columbia and all that BC bud that ends up in USA ... we wouldn't want Bitcoin associated with BC bud, it would give it a bad name

"...associated with BC bud, it would give it a bad name." ...and we don't want to give BC bud a bad name.

Once a consensus is reached, superimpose the symbol over the top of this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b8/Currency-Symbol_Regions_of_the_World_circa_2006.png
Activity: 311
Bitcoin.se site owner
July 09, 2011, 06:14:24 PM
If we're not gonna move the decimal point we also need to think of a symbol for "milliBitcoins" and it's needed pretty much right away. People talk about mBTC and μBTC in other threads but it doesn't make any sense to put a prefix on the three letter currency code. What we need is another symbol, just like there is ¢ and $.

So here's my suggestion to make everyone happy. Smiley Use ฿ for Bitcoins since this is already rather established. Use ß for milliBitcoins. If Bitcoin becomes a success, milliBitcoins will be more widely used than Bitcoins anyway so that should make those rooting for ß happy.

legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1001
Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data
July 09, 2011, 06:13:53 PM
This is why I keep suggesting ß, it shows up on everyone's browser. It's in pretty much every font ever. And unlike the Thai Baht symbol... it isn't being used to represent another currency already.
Please no - the reason it is in pretty much ever font is that it is a regular character in German Sad
Would you approve of a regular character in the English alphabet as the standard currency symbol for BTC?

Please reconsider further promoting this character - I know we're only about 90 million people but I would really rather not have a few dozen BTC symbols spread over all existing German texts...
Activity: 70
GNU is not UNIX
July 09, 2011, 06:05:57 PM
I will keep using "BTC". What would we gain by using "฿"?. Nothing in my opinion.
Activity: 141
Merit: 100
July 09, 2011, 05:44:16 PM
FFS what's wrong with just using BTC and ฿?

[/thread]
July 09, 2011, 05:29:43 PM
Eri
Activity: 264
July 09, 2011, 04:43:54 PM
cant tell the first one is a B and my computer doesn't show the last one. looks like a "20" over "EB" in a square
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
July 09, 2011, 02:58:22 PM
What's wrong with B⃦ and/or B⃫ ?
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2347
Eadem mutata resurgo
July 06, 2011, 07:43:58 PM

BC will get bitcoin associated with British Columbia and all that BC bud that ends up in USA ... we wouldn't want Bitcoin associated with BC bud, it would give it a bad name

I think you smoked a little too much of that BC bud, buddy ... Tongue I would surmise that 80% of potheads (or should I say medical marijuana patients) do not know what BC stands for, aside from Before Christ. Most of this demographic probably think Montreal and Toronto are provinces. Just my two (bit)cents.

jokes on you now BC buddy .... /sarcasm
Activity: 322
Merit: 251
July 06, 2011, 06:30:36 PM

I think you smoked a little too much of that BC bud, buddy ... Tongue I would surmise that 80% of potheads (or should I say medical marijuana patients) do not know what BC stands for, aside from Before Christ. Most of this demographic probably think Montreal and Toronto are provinces. Just my two (bit)cents.
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
July 06, 2011, 06:21:56 PM
I made an adjustment to bitcoin symbol so that it represents a # combined with a B:
The graphics can be downloaded from this thread if anyone wants to use it: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=25102.0

legendary
Activity: 1536
Merit: 1000
electronic [r]evolution
July 04, 2011, 04:51:50 AM
Yes, but whenever I've seen prices quoted in Australian Dollars it has been "A$" or "AUD$".

I like the ฿ too, but I feel it would be best to differentiate it from another currency.
Everything on the internet is usually just labelled with dollar sign, whether USD or AUD. In a lot of cases you have to check if the website is American or Australian in order to work out if their prices are in USD or AUD. You probably use mostly only American websites, and if they were selling something in AU dollars it would probably be labelled to make that clear. If a website was using the ฿ symbol for Bitcoin, and it wasn't clear enough for visitors (which I'm sure would be very unlikely), then I see no reason they couldn't just use BTC฿ or something like you said.
July 04, 2011, 04:49:10 AM
I agree with you on BTC, but the baht symbol is already taken as a currency symbol.

This is why I keep proposing ß. It's supported in virtually all fonts (even circa-1980 PC console), it's not used as a currency anywhere, and it looks similar to a B!
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
July 04, 2011, 04:42:02 AM
Stop making this more confusing than it has to be. Every currency should have a 3 letter code.

General consensus has determined that the 3 letter currency code is: BTC

There is less consensus on the symbol. But the most common usage is: ฿

I would stick with those two choices as to avoid confusion and force everyone to start using the same thing.

I agree with you on BTC, but the baht symbol is already taken as a currency symbol.
Both the USD and AUD dollar use $ but they are completely different currencies. A B with a vertical line through it really does seem appropriate imo.

Yes, but whenever I've seen prices quoted in Australian Dollars it has been "A$" or "AUD$".

I like the ฿ too, but I feel it would be best to differentiate it from another currency.
legendary
Activity: 1536
Merit: 1000
electronic [r]evolution
July 04, 2011, 04:33:14 AM
Stop making this more confusing than it has to be. Every currency should have a 3 letter code.

General consensus has determined that the 3 letter currency code is: BTC

There is less consensus on the symbol. But the most common usage is: ฿

I would stick with those two choices as to avoid confusion and force everyone to start using the same thing.

Both the USD and AUD dollar use $ but they are completely different currencies. A B with a vertical line through it really does seem appropriate imo.
Pages:
Jump to: