Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Currency Symbol ฿ - page 5. (Read 79362 times)

legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002
Waves | 3PHMaGNeTJfqFfD4xuctgKdoxLX188QM8na
July 10, 2011, 03:23:57 PM
I like the idea of mixing the hash symbol with a b. I'm not a good digital artist, but check this out:

If you can't see the hash, I highlighted it in this one:

It's very easy to write, and looks good. Just draw a 3 and 2 lines through the top. I got the idea from this post: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=25102.msg325489#msg325489

I like it Smiley
legendary
Activity: 882
Merit: 1001
July 10, 2011, 03:05:30 PM
I like the idea of mixing the hash symbol with a b. I'm not a good digital artist, but check this out:

If you can't see the hash, I highlighted it in this one:

It's very easy to write, and looks good. Just draw a 3 and 2 lines through the top. I got the idea from this post: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=25102.msg325489#msg325489

Activity: 406
Merit: 100
July 10, 2011, 01:16:14 PM
[snip>
I agree. What sign to you suggest bitcoin should use?

Here are some suggestions:

ß,Ɓ,ƀ,Ƃ,Ƅ,ƅ,Ƀ,ɮ,β,Ѣ,ẞ

Or perhaps make an entirely new sign?
Great listing!
As the word 'bit' (as in 'bit-coin') is abbreviated into a small 'b' and byte into a capital 'B', it would be logical to use the ƀ, Ƃ or Ѣ, otherwise it could be confused with a 'bytecoin'.
No interference with existing currencies, and outstanding from most of the other currencies by not being a capital. And right so, for being a non-physical currency.
Eri
Activity: 264
Merit: 250
July 10, 2011, 09:08:31 AM
@wareen: what i mean is 98% of people seem to want *a* symbol they can type or copy/paste regardless of what it is. i think nearly everyone uses the shorthand BTC, its easier to type. but having a symbol we can use right now kinda helps to make it feel official, at least that is what it kinda seems like to me. so convincing even 1 or 2% does not seem likely. if you make it a separate issue altogether your likely to get better responses and possibly even a consensus on one symbol since it removes the issue 'ease of typing it' and 'being the symbol of another currency'.
Activity: 294
July 10, 2011, 08:37:55 AM
Now how would this sentence look in your eyes?
"I am going to buy a can of soda for B1,00 or something like that."

Doesn't look that hard to interpret, right?
Not hard to interpret, no - but a little bit weird and rather unimaginative for a new currency symbol, yes. As I said: I'm not complaining about ambiguity.

I think we really can do better at choosing a currency symbol for something as new and innovative as Bitcoin than just recycling some other heavily used symbol.
I think that in terms of people having to get used to aspects of Bitcoin, getting used to the currency symbol is the least of our worries.
legendary
Activity: 910
Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data
July 10, 2011, 08:35:17 AM
wont happen because we want a symbol we can use now.
Again, just use BTC in the meantime - or use an image if you must. I mean, the European Union didn't just use some existing fancy E just because they wanted a symbol really fast. If BTC is going to become a respected currency I think we can afford the time to really think such decisions through.

the images themselves /must/ scale to be Small so it can fit in text. none of those giant pictures that don't scale at all. this in a way Really is two separate issues.
Valid point - designing font symbols is not an easy task and I'm surely not qualified to do this, but I've given it a shot anyway:

I think it works, but of course - an experienced artist will certainly be able to improve.

As for having a separate thread for future symbols - I really don't see the need. There are no separate issues - do you really want a separate currency symbol for every different stage of Bitcoin's development? Again, if you need a symbol now: use BTC, as this seems to be pretty much the consensus. For a single letter symbol we have not reached yet this level of agreement and I'm just trying to contribute my suggestions.

There was at least one other thread with a poll which showed a tendency towards the Baht symbol but it didn't include many seemingly obviously options.
Eri
July 10, 2011, 07:54:46 AM
There's no ambiguity between the use of ß as a currency symbol with numbers, and the use of it in written German, whether you are using prefix or postfix notation.
There $ure i$n't, but $eriou$ly, how doe$ thi$ $entence look in your eye$ - plea$e be hone$t?

There are good reasons to use an entirely new symbol:
It is from the de-facto standard Bitcoin-logo, has resemblance to other currency symbols but is easily distinguishable from the Thai Baht symbol.

We could submit a proposal to the Unicode Consortium and simply use BTC wherever necessary until there is an official character which is included in standard typesets. It was more or less the same with € and EUR in the beginning of its days.

wont happen because we want a symbol we can use now.

why don't you guys make a new thread for a "symbol to be used in the future" get a bunch of people to submit ideas then have a poll for the best ones, the images themselves /must/ scale to be Small so it can fit in text. none of those giant pictures that don't scale at all. this in a way Really is two separate issues.
legendary
July 10, 2011, 07:48:46 AM

Not hard to interpret, no - but a little bit weird and rather unimaginative for a new currency symbol, yes. As I said: I'm not complaining about ambiguity.

I think we really can do better at choosing a currency symbol for something as new and innovative as Bitcoin than just recycling some other heavily used symbol.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
July 10, 2011, 07:48:33 AM
Why can't we have a more imaginative symbol instead of B? And another color instead of gold/orange.
There are several colors that are automatically associated with certain characteristics. For example, gold/yellow and green are often associated with money, value, or worth, whereas blue is often associated with trust (ever wondered why so many banks use blue?). Things like that are actually rather important.

I went to bed last night with this darn tread on my mind. I think it was during the R.E.M. (no, M doesn't stand for...) state, I envisioned something like the image below. It does incorporate the letters BC but in their lower case form with a crescent moon shaped c superimposed over the common letter b. I would eliminate the two short stubs that extend to the left of the vertical staff that forms the letter b. I guess I could of rendered it better by going on the great font hunt for the perfect b, but I already did that with the letter c to find just the right curvature that would look good enough to share the image in my mind with this community.

One advantage is that it can be hand written with only two strokes of the pen (or #2 pencil) just like the dollar sign (3 strokes if done the old fashioned way). I created it on a blue background for no particular reason, but now glad I did so that I can attach this post to a quote by joepie91 who pointed out, above, that the color blue is often associated with trust.

Here's my rendition of the Bitcoin symbol, below. Let me know what you think.

Activity: 294
July 10, 2011, 07:19:11 AM
Why can't we have a more imaginative symbol instead of B? And another color instead of gold/orange.
There are several colors that are automatically associated with certain characteristics. For example, gold/yellow and green are often associated with money, value, or worth, whereas blue is often associated with trust (ever wondered why so many banks use blue?). Things like that are actually rather important.

There's no ambiguity between the use of ß as a currency symbol with numbers, and the use of it in written German, whether you are using prefix or postfix notation.
There $ure i$n't, but $eriou$ly, how doe$ thi$ $entence look in your eye$ - plea$e be hone$t?

It is from the de-facto standard Bitcoin-logo, has resemblance to other currency symbols but is easily distinguishable from the Thai Baht symbol.

We could submit a proposal to the Unicode Consortium and simply use BTC wherever necessary until there is an official character which is included in standard typesets. It was more or less the same with € and EUR in the beginning of its days.

legendary
July 10, 2011, 06:57:05 AM

Activity: 189
July 10, 2011, 06:34:18 AM
Too shallow.
legendary
Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016
July 10, 2011, 06:24:20 AM
Gold has high value in today's world. Even though titanium, platinum...are available & has value more than gold, no metal has the properties gold has & the SHINE gold gives.
Activity: 189
July 10, 2011, 05:42:46 AM
Activity: 140
BitVapes.com
July 10, 2011, 04:49:41 AM
FFS what's wrong with just using BTC and ฿?

[/thread]

I use both =/  I kind of prefer Ƀ since its not used by countries, but I had problems rendering it on default installs of various/old browser testing of my site.
Eri
July 10, 2011, 04:39:34 AM
not to belittle the opinion of someone from thailand, but other symbols are used in more then one country as well. if bitcoin caught on it would be remembered all throughout history as the symbol chosen by the world to represent a new currency. what an honor Smiley. and as others have mentioned, nobody would confuse the two currencies. The reason i like ฿ is because its the first letter in BitCoins and because it has a line through it like the money symbol $. even if thailand hadn't used that symbol we still would have (assuming it existed and could be used). if bitcoin were called SuperCoin id vote for $(more then likely anyway).
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
July 10, 2011, 03:03:39 AM
Why is this keep being bumped?

I am from Thailand, and I am definitely against using ฿ to represent Bitcoin for the obvious reason stated here many time.

Ranked 30th largest GDP in the world, Thai economy may be small, but it's growing quick (8% last year). There is no entrenched e-payment service (like Paypal) in the country, as e-payment is not as popular yet. So, in Thailand, Bitcoin doesn't have much competitor and can become popular in the future. Also, Thai Baht is commonly used in neighboring Cambodia, Lao, and Burma as well. Moreover, I believe the Baht is well-known by a big number of western tourists to Thailand as well (The Hangover, anyone?)

So, I am well against using the Thai Baht sign for Bitcoin.

I agree. What sign to you suggest bitcoin should use?

Here are some suggestions:

ß,Ɓ,ƀ,Ƃ,Ƅ,ƅ,Ƀ,ɮ,β,Ѣ,ẞ

Or perhaps make an entirely new sign?
Activity: 311
Bitcoin.se site owner
July 10, 2011, 02:56:44 AM
So here's my suggestion to make everyone happy. Smiley Use ฿ for Bitcoins since this is already rather established. Use ß for milliBitcoins. If Bitcoin becomes a success, milliBitcoins will be more widely used than Bitcoins anyway so that should make those rooting for ß happy.

It's an arbitrary stunt by people who want to make even small amounts valuable.

People don't bid on auctions for 40 millieuros or 20 cents. They bid €0.40 or $0.20 which is the official denomination.

BTC is easy to understand and can be typed with any sort of keyboard. All the significant sites that sell merchandise or services for bitcoins list their prices in the format 0.07BTC, 0.52BTC etc..

I have never seen anyone sell items for microbitcoins or millibitcoins. I have seen tons of people selling items for 0.10BTC.

You do realize that if Bitcoin becomes widely used the value of each Bitcoin will increase. This is a fact, not a guess. It will then be necessary to be able to pay e.g. 0.0012 bitcoins, and that's not a great way to write it since it is very hard to read. That is what the whole discussion about shifting the decimal point or using milliBitcoins is about.
Activity: 406
July 10, 2011, 02:44:37 AM

I am from Thailand, and I am definitely against using ฿ to represent Bitcoin for the obvious reason stated here many time.

Ranked 30th largest GDP in the world, Thai economy may be small, but it's growing quick (8% last year). There is no entrenched e-payment service (like Paypal) in the country, as e-payment is not as popular yet. So, in Thailand, Bitcoin doesn't have much competitor and can become popular in the future. Also, Thai Baht is commonly used in neighboring Cambodia, Lao, and Burma as well. Moreover, I believe the Baht is well-known by a big number of western tourists to Thailand as well (The Hangover, anyone?)

Extremely good motivation!
Activity: 143
July 10, 2011, 01:33:15 AM

Pages:
Jump to: