Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Currency Symbol ฿ - page 3. (Read 79362 times)

legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001
July 14, 2011, 12:42:30 AM
It's probably fine to use the Baht (฿), just as many in countries that officially use the cifrão (two slashes) will use the paso/dollar (one slash) for convenience. None the less, it's still valuable to have a distinct, meaningful glyph/logo, whether or not it can be typed on a keyboard today.

I think MtGox's ฿TC looks amateur.

This hash B thing does rock.
Would be nicer in my opinion if the hash were at the bottom of the B..  as if to say bitcoin is *based* on hashes.. but either way - I like it.
Activity: 322
Merit: 251
FirstBits: 168Bc
July 14, 2011, 12:32:04 AM
It's probably fine to use the Baht (฿), just as many in countries that officially use the cifrão (two slashes) will use the paso/dollar (one slash) for convenience. None the less, it's still valuable to have a distinct, meaningful glyph/logo, whether or not it can be typed on a keyboard today.

I think MtGox's ฿TC looks amateur.
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
July 14, 2011, 12:11:50 AM
See this article for a glimpse at how seriously countries take it:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7923825.stm

Oh India, have you nothing better to do with your time lol

That link proved my point:  "Even after a decade, many people still do not use the euro sign. The BBC, for example, writes out "euro", partly because it may still be unfamiliar to some readers, and partly because many keyboards still do not feature the sign."

I think there is a confusing situation happening about countries needing to respect Bitcoin and other such issues, I'm not seeing these as issues.  India.  Thai.  All these people can feel whatever way they want to, but I have no doubts the people mining and hoarding and enjoying Bitcoin within those places already do not give a crap about their old physical money, nor will the majority of people here.

I would love for Bitcoin to be accepted by the masses in a way that works with current currencies, but the very nature of how Bitcoin works to me is, there is no lands, no country, just one money with it's value determined by the people exchanging.     You use the word patience and such, this is the way it should go down, but now offer a way that it could happen, without it requiring the agreement of everyone.

I think the exchanges were mentioned before, without knowing specifically how, would getting a hold of the top 10 exchanges change it for everyone?    Even if Gox, Tradehill, etc, all used a brand new symbol to represent Bitcoin, and that is just how it was.   Do you feel that would be enough to change every merchant's mind to switch from logos and other assets for their shops, logos and assets their customer base already associates with their store, and they would give it up for what?   So people in Thai they have never seen can keep their symbol that person never knew as anything but for Bitcoin?

I'm trying to break it down realistically, it does not make sense.
legendary
July 13, 2011, 11:53:42 PM
Bitcoin is disruptive enough as is - mainly I hope, in ultimately good ways.
The logistics of a currency symbol being incorporated into every single computer that is already in everyone's home, not going to happen.
There is no way to properly handle this situation
There is a proper way. The longer and more patient way that would ultimately gain bitcoin more respect.
It's been done for the Euro, the Indian Rupee and others.

See this article for a glimpse at how seriously countries take it:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7923825.stm

I am nearly fully sure that no country is going to be okay with a swiping of their old relic to make way for new world order. 
Indeed not..

Oh wait, now I'm sounding like one of the kooks
Well.. a bit, yeah..   
I don't understand the impatience to get the symbol, let alone one that gives none of the status that a new bitcoin-specific one would give.
Work on getting the currency accepted by merchants and at least tolerated by nations and the rest will follow.

July 13, 2011, 11:15:21 PM
Self preservation of the coin.  It has to come in tough and swinging against all other currencies.  When is the last time a currency was accepted among so many different people among so many different lands?

The logistics of a currency symbol being incorporated into every single computer that is already in everyone's home, not going to happen.

The numbers of people who use the ฿ symbol currently versus the numbers of people wanting to use it for Bitcoin, who knows, but that number is growing, we know that based on numbers and even how the system itself is made, we will be making these little ฿'s for some time now.

There is no way to properly handle this situation, and I am nearly fully sure that no country is going to be okay with a swiping of their old relic to make way for new world order.   Oh wait, now I'm sounding like one of the kooks (more so than normal, cause even I'm noticing it).  I'm only half kidding in what I write here, I really do think it will just have to be a forced taking of that symbol, I wish there was options around that, that would be realistic.

I really think the sooner everyone gets over this hump its for the best (thread was started in 2010 lol), it does suck for the Thai people, but maybe in the end they will just make BTC their main currency Wink
legendary
July 13, 2011, 10:37:11 PM
Consensus certainly will win regardless of this discussion here.

Sadly I think so. (sadly because I think it'll be a narrow consensus built by somewhat insular bitcoiners)

I just don't think it's in the interests of the bitcoin community to sabotage the work other standards bodies are trying to do.

It may be that it's a tortuous red-tape ridden process to get a unique character allocated..  even if so.. I'd prefer to do without than rape every system with a 'bitcoin trumps all' mentality.

Activity: 322
Merit: 251
FirstBits: 168Bc
July 13, 2011, 10:17:06 PM
Consensus certainly will win regardless of this discussion here. The posted graphics are more for logo/trademark/brand recognition.

Ask any one of those horribly suffering under the overloaded use of $ whether they have heard of the Thai Baht. Ask them to point out where Thailand is. The continent at least.

How is that relevant? Why include ignoramuses in your argument against clarity? Most $-citizens couldn't point a Euro zone country on a map, either. And most people do assume, often incorrectly, that $ means FRN/USD.

Don't under estimate the confusion that peso sign '$' produces and baht '฿' potentially would. You are of course aware that a large fraction of all English and Spanish speaking nations use the peso sign? Because you can point all these nations out on a map perhaps you've traveled to some, such as Australia, New Zealand or most anywhere in the Americas between Canada and Antarctica, maybe you've been confused - particularly in tourist areas? Or perhaps on websites - some of which have localization, other's without, or poorly implemented?

I'm saying the average person in the target audience has no clue and won't mind.

Who is the target audience?
Activity: 56
Merit: 1
July 13, 2011, 09:02:05 PM
The Thai economy positively dwarf's that of bitcoin - so what sort of crazy definition of 'obscure' are you using?

Ask any one of those horribly suffering under the overloaded use of $ whether they have heard of the Thai Baht. Ask them to point out where Thailand is. The continent at least.

Before you twist my meaning, I'm not saying the country is obscure and its economy doesn't exist. I'm saying the average person in the target audience has no clue and won't mind.

If as you say Bitcoin remains as insignificant as it is now, then it's not going to be a problem. If it grows to a stage where it will be, then people will know to look for the context, just as those horrible sufferers manage to now.

In the meantime, Bitcoin isn't hobbled by yet another artificial hurdle.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
July 13, 2011, 06:31:39 PM
I propose that we adopt the Thai baht currency symbol, ฿, as the official bitcoin currency symbol and BTC as the official bitcoin three letter currency code.

I think we all have already lol.  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348
Eadem mutata resurgo
July 13, 2011, 05:46:25 PM

like the middle one, has less of a 3 feel to it, seems formal and looks to be racing to somewhere ... the others are good for freehand, like the concept generally.
July 13, 2011, 05:09:44 PM
On the other hand, it appears that large numbers of people rely on only a handful of sites to check exchange rates. Whatever they use pretty much becomes the de facto standard. So far that would seem to be "BTC".
Truth.   You are right, the exchanges have way more control over this than the actual merchants.

In way then, yeah, this could be a matter of making all the exchanges agree on something, except with them dealing with "irl" currencies, I am guessing they would not want to 'steal' another currencies' symbol though. But I bet if it was already used and adopted by the majority, it really is out of their control.

Continue using ฿ everyone!   Force the world to accept our little digital currency symbol that at one time was used with some old world currency Smiley

Editors Note:  I have BTC I think is accepted, known, that is ours.  I am guessing all discussion at this point has to do only with the symbol, not the 'btc' three letter term, which is more or less the equivalent of the USD marking, not the symbol.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
July 13, 2011, 05:01:54 PM
This making the symbol, it's too late.  Obviously there is no numbers, but the amount of business' using Bitcoin versus how many of them are on these specific forums, I do not believe relates as much as people might think.

On the other hand, it appears that large numbers of people rely on only a handful of sites to check exchange rates. Whatever they use pretty much becomes the de facto standard. So far that would seem to be "BTC".
Activity: 62
Merit: 10
July 13, 2011, 03:10:09 PM
Seems BTC is the natural choice...

Enjoying the discussion about a symbol to use  Grin
July 13, 2011, 02:01:54 PM
 You may be right that it's a losing battle though.
It is.  Fighting the color chart fight is good one, that is interesting and has merit.

This making the symbol, it's too late.  Obviously there is no numbers, but the amount of business' using Bitcoin versus how many of them are on these specific forums, I do not believe relates as much as people might think.

The sooner people accept this portion that has already been established in a 'natural' way the sooner we can progress with Bitcoin in other regards.  Seriously too, this thread is far too big for a bunch of people attempting to take on and control something that is something no one can control (at this point mind you, this thread should have been made 2 years ago and ended then).
legendary
July 13, 2011, 01:46:51 PM
Break down some numbers people, this isn't a joke, you know the acceptance of Bitcoin currency is stronger than the Thai dollar.  
I don't know such a thing..   with the Thai GDP at over  300Billion USD$ equiv  - I'm pretty sure nearly everyone I know would accept 31Million Thai Baht over 71500 BTC - even assuming they both theoretically exchange to about $1M USD.

Best part about using the ฿ symbol, is no one in this thread needs to agree on if it is a good choice or not.  Enough Bitcoin business' already use this, just keep doing what you are doing, and if you are for this initiative, just use the ฿ instead of "btc" or even "Bitcoin" when referencing something having to do with a Bitcoin price.
meh.. I'll stick to using BTC.   You may be right that it's a losing battle though.

July 13, 2011, 01:04:55 PM
I think everyone is looking at things the wrong way.   Take the least used currency symbol out of the current options, repurpose it.

The majority will rule as to what is accepted as what that symbol represents.   You can argue that there is already established history with those older currency symbols and I would argue that we all have a better chance of grabbing a symbol that is already in everyone's computer as a special character than we do attempting to add a new symbol into older established systems that use these characters.

฿

Here by symbolizes Bitcoin currency.   The people who deal with business in Thai money can at this point continue to use their older form of currency and symbol, who cares, as I would argue there are more Bitcoin users actively using a currency symbol in their day to day life than Thai people using that symbol on a day to day basis.   Break down some numbers people, this isn't a joke, you know the acceptance of Bitcoin currency is stronger than the Thai dollar.  It is about time the Thai people jump on board with a better currency, and I think will be pleased a symbol that was once held for them represents something much great for the whole world Smiley

Best part about using the ฿ symbol, is no one in this thread needs to agree on if it is a good choice or not.  Enough Bitcoin business' already use this, just keep doing what you are doing, and if you are for this initiative, just use the ฿ instead of "btc" or even "Bitcoin" when referencing something having to do with a Bitcoin price.

Also, this isn't quoted enough if this thread.

Looks slick.
legendary
July 13, 2011, 12:52:40 PM

does anyone actually bother to read a thread before posting?

Sure. I just disagree with you.
As someone who suffers under a system of the overloaded use of $ - I disagree with using the ฿.

Sometimes it's just not clear whether a site is pricing in AUD or USD. It wasn't an issue before global ecommerce - it's now an (admittedly slight) annoyance.

Activity: 154
Merit: 100
July 13, 2011, 12:52:05 PM
It's not a matter of "stealing" another currency's symbol, but for example there may be some confusion if I use "$" in an international context (i.e. on the internet) and assume you will know I mean Mexican pesos or whatever. No problem if we both know we are talking about Mexico.

I like the circled "B" that looks like a copyright symbol personally, since it actually looks like a coin. Sure you could lobby for a new Unicode symbol but fonts would also have to be updated to support it. Ideally the symbol should be supported by most Unicode fonts already.
Eri
Activity: 264
Merit: 250
July 13, 2011, 12:16:16 PM
does anyone actually bother to read a thread before posting?
Activity: 82
Merit: 10
July 13, 2011, 11:27:08 AM
There are a lot of latin letters or other symbols we can use to represent bitcoin, and how anyone can think it's logical to steal another currency's symbol is beyond me.
Pages:
Jump to: