Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Currency Symbol ฿ - page 2. (Read 79362 times)

Activity: 322
Merit: 251
FirstBits: 168Bc
July 14, 2011, 07:50:35 PM

Am i the only one that sees balls and erect penis there before seeing a hashb?

I can't speak for others, but uh no, not until you mention it.

Don't get caught up on the colors and auxiliary graphics. The beauty of edgeworth's design is in the glyph shape. His lines are clean, uniform, connected, and simple.

I just happen to disagree about the specific location of the bottom lines which could be moved top and left to allow a # (hash) or ♯ (sharp) to subtly emerge (as attempted in posts above).
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)
July 14, 2011, 05:34:50 PM
mm.. it is hard at that scale.
I tried with the hash at the base:

icon size at 16x16 comes out a little better:

What about switching it to a lower case b

Am i the only one that sees balls and erect penis there before seeing a hashb?
Activity: 630
July 14, 2011, 04:04:07 PM
I like Edgeworth's Italics better as well, but I like the shiny-ness of this one. Cheesy

Been staring at these things too long, I was almost instantly like "Oh yeah, I know what you mean".. but double checked.  And ... I know what you mean Sad  That glare on the original does have a 'newer' shine than Edgeworth's.   In fact, now his looks like a dirty penny
legendary
Activity: 882
Merit: 1001
July 14, 2011, 04:01:23 PM
Ah, yeah, that is the one I am used to.   Conceptually with the line placement in the B, though a different font/italics, I think has that same, bold, solid look.  I like the italics more Sad
I like Edgeworth's Italics better as well, but I like the shiny-ness of this one. Cheesy
July 14, 2011, 03:58:22 PM
I don't think it's Edgeworth's design you see everywhere. Edgeworth's design is fairly new. You might be confusing it with this, as they are very similar:
Ah, yeah, that is the one I am used to.   Conceptually with the line placement in the B, though a different font/italics, I think has that same, bold, solid look.  I like the italics more Sad
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1083
July 14, 2011, 03:56:48 PM
Of course, I may be wrong.

I don't think you are Smiley.
legendary
Activity: 882
July 14, 2011, 03:55:31 PM
I see Edgeworth's design everywhere, how did that not become just the staple for the symbol talk?   It has definitely been the accepted icon for Bitcoin.  I see it more than I do the Orange B logo.  It has the lines clearly drawn.

Someone just needs to black and white that, throw it in a font program, clean it up, bam, right?
I don't think it's Edgeworth's design you see everywhere. Edgeworth's design is fairly new. You might be confusing it with this, as they are very similar:
Of course, I may be wrong.
legendary
July 14, 2011, 12:57:48 PM
Someone just needs to black and white that, throw it in a font program, clean it up, bam, right?

Yeah, I agree that it is the best one. 

Slightly off topic, what is needed is some kind of standard way of distributing new fonts. 

For example, to register a new character, you would register a domain name at name-of-new-symbol.fnt.  This would be a high resolution or vector graphics image of the character.

When a browser or text editor hits an unknown symbol, it could download it and use that.  Popular symbols would eventually make it into standard fonts.

To add a symbol to a document you are typing, you would use ALT+name-of-new-symbol and it would add it if available, or download it if not already available.

This could work for all the old symbols too.  ALT+d-o-l-l-a-r would give the $ symbol.  It would be like a DNS for fonts Smiley.  You wouldn't have to remember the unicode numbers.  It would make files larger though if you used a lot of non-standard characters.

All it would take it one unicode symbol which means non-standard character. 
July 14, 2011, 12:31:35 PM
I see Edgeworth's design everywhere, how did that not become just the staple for the symbol talk?   It has definitely been the accepted icon for Bitcoin.  I see it more than I do the Orange B logo.  It has the lines clearly drawn.

legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348
Eadem mutata resurgo
July 14, 2011, 10:52:24 AM

lower case, how will this one shrink I wonder?
Activity: 322
Merit: 251
FirstBits: 168Bc
July 14, 2011, 10:37:43 AM
As much as I love the new #-B combination, I'm not sure it works on a small scale:

I hope someone more talented is able to make a better looking version with 10 pixel height, because this is a must-have for a proper new symbol.

Apart from that, I think the #-B is a great idea: It has similarity to other currency symbols, is distinct from any existing symbol and most importantly: it incorporates the symbol for the foundation of the Bitcoin system!
Please, somebody make this scale and lets propose this as a new Unicode character!

I think it looks fine as you've done it. Keep in mind that fonts are not boolean pixels, there's antialiasing and subpixel rendering (LCD screen), etc. is not more complex than a %. As for a 'lower case' version:

Tho I personally prefer the original #B

Or more subdued:

Based on edgeworth's design

legendary
July 14, 2011, 10:36:05 AM

What about switching it to a lower case b

legendary
Activity: 910
Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data
July 14, 2011, 10:01:49 AM
The problem with the hash, an with the double lines through the B, is that it's simply too much ink for such a small area.
One line would be far better, so I'd vote for a 'b' with horizontal line through it (␢?)
I agree - double lines through the B are impossible - even the Baht symbol doesn't work well with small fonts. But the #-B as well as the B with the double lines on top and bottom only (from the bitcoin.org logo) does not necessarily have this problem. I think it's perfectly possible and might have a look at FontForge later.

It would be great if everybody tried to design his/her favorite non-existing font symbol for BTC with something like FontForge and then we can finally have a poll on a Bitcoin symbol without being restricted by existing typesets.
legendary
Activity: 2450
Merit: 1008
July 14, 2011, 09:09:11 AM
.. should probably leave it to the pros.
Who wants to try with FontForge?
Activity: 406
Merit: 100
July 14, 2011, 09:05:26 AM
As much as I love the new #-B combination, I'm not sure it works on a small scale:

I hope someone more talented is able to make a better looking version with 10 pixel height, because this is a must-have for a proper new symbol.

Apart from that, I think the #-B is a great idea: It has similarity to other currency symbols, is distinct from any existing symbol and most importantly: it incorporates the symbol for the foundation of the Bitcoin system!
Please, somebody make this scale and lets propose this as a new Unicode character!

The problem with the hash, an with the double lines through the B, is that it's simply too much ink for such a small area.
One line would be far better, so I'd vote for a 'b' with horizontal line through it (␢?)
legendary
Activity: 1092
July 14, 2011, 05:04:22 AM

legendary
Activity: 910
Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data
July 14, 2011, 04:17:57 AM

Activity: 387
Merit: 250
July 14, 2011, 03:43:19 AM
Startet a Vote with most symbols of this threat
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=28741.0
legendary
Activity: 1092
July 14, 2011, 02:36:52 AM
hmm.. ears vs legs... tough call.
The one with legs looks like it goes faster!
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348
Eadem mutata resurgo
July 14, 2011, 02:01:23 AM

Bhash (bit of a hack job)
Pages:
Jump to: