Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin halving to be canceled? - page 5. (Read 33718 times)

Activity: 593
Merit: 505
Wherever I may roam
July 06, 2016, 04:26:18 PM
So you don't even admit the possibility of being wrong? What if you just don't know something or, which is even worse, know something which is not what you think it is?

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so"

Hi Deisik! Noooo, not at all. I am often wrong like everybody, and everything I write is simply "my humble opinion". In fact I also wrote, in the "more elaborated reply" which was not quoted, that to cancel the halving is technically possible, although, for the reasons I have explained, is 99.99999999% impossible (unless the miners decide to voluntarily decide to implement a new rule that would put them out of business).

The whole point of what I am writing in this post, is to try and let new users understand how Bitcoin works and that yes, the halving will take place in exactly 409 blocks. Why? Because it's a rule written in the Bitcoin code. Can't the rule be changed? Theoretically yes, but nobody would implement it.

I still have to understand if you disagree with what I say or not!  Wink

If you insist that Bitcoin halving is inevitable, then no, I can't agree with that. And I disagree not because there is a tiny but real chance of an asteroid hitting the Earth thereby making Bitcoin and its mining reward halving irrelevant (or something along these lines), but because you base your assumptions and conclusions (that Bitcoin halving is inevitable) on premises which you consider as adamant and rock-solid ("it's a rule written in the Bitcoin code") while I think them rather shaky in fact...

On the other hand, the Bitcoin high price as of recent seems to me to be a more decisive factor in favor of the coming halving than some obscure variable (or constant) hidden in the depths of Bitcoin codebase

Mmmmmh, the problem with what you say, is that the fact that the halving is coded in the Bitcoin, it's not an opinion, is a fact. Obviously I don't pretend that you trust me. In fact you shouldn't. The beauty of Bitcoin is also that you can go on github and look for it yourself.

Anyway, the part of the code that deals with the halving is this:

int64_t GetBlockValue(int nHeight, int64_t nFees)
{
    int64_t nSubsidy = 50 * COIN;
    int halvings = nHeight / Params().SubsidyHalvingInterval();

// Force block reward to zero when right shift is undefined.
    if (halvings >= 64)
        return nFees;

// Subsidy is cut in half every 210,000 blocks which will occur approximately every 4 years.
    nSubsidy >>= halvings;

return nSubsidy + nFees;
}

The initial reward is calculated (in satoshis) multiplying 50 for the constant of 100.000.000 satoshis {COIN}. The initial reward is therefore 50.000.000.000 satoshis (50 bitcoin).

As you can see, in the line after that, the script calculates the number of halving that have already occurred. It does that dividing the current block height by the interval {SubsidyHalvingInterval}. For blocks from 1 to 209.999, the result is zero. For blocks from 210.000 to 419.999 (which is where we are now) the result is 1. From block 420.000 to 629.999 will be 2, and so on.

The next line of code, the reward {nSubsidy} is divided in two for each halving that has occurred, as calculated above. So if one halving has occurred (which is where we are now) the reward will be 50.000.000.000/2= 25.000.000.000 satoshis (25 bitcoins). The constant has been divided by 2 one time.

In three days, we will reach block 420.000, therefore the result will be 2. Ergo, the reward will be 50.000.000.000/2= 25.000.000.000/2= 12.500.000.000 satoshis (12.5 bitcoins). The costant has been divided by 2, two times.

As you can see in the code, the maximum number of halvings that are allowed is 64 (which will occur in the first half on the next century). After that, the reward drops to zero.

Finally (last part of the cose), the script sums {nSubsidy} and {nFees} which are the transaction fees.

This is how the reward is calculated, and it's not my opinion, it's simply what's written in the code. If this can be changed or not...we have discussed it already.

legendary
Activity: 3486
Merit: 1280
English ⬄ Russian Translation Services
July 06, 2016, 03:50:32 PM
Then f**k this system which is made to benefit big companies and produce more heat and uses more electricity.

Even if 10 QC start mining at full scale and no matter what we do the bitcoins would always take decades to be mined.

It is not only the manufacturers of mining hardware who benefit from this never-ending race. The effects are more subtle than that. Ever increasing difficulty necessarily leads to the accumulation of hashing power in fewer hands (in this case, mining pools), which will obviously abuse their monopolistic position whenever it suits them most. If any pool is ever able to account for 51% of the total hashing power on the network, it will be able to force its will over the entire blockchain. In fact, we are already past that point since just a few pools have over 90% of all hashing power out there...

So they are essentially controlling Bitcoin and its fate, whether you like it or not
Activity: 924
Merit: 506
July 06, 2016, 03:38:38 PM
So it doesn't matter what the network hash power rate is and the difficulty would be adjusted accordingly to push a certain date for halving?

If so then it's all predetermined as how long going to take to mine all the bitcoins and you can predict exactly how much you can earn.
What I mean is if net hash power doubles just right now still difficulty will be adjusted to prevent halving  sooner right?

Guess who profits the most here? the hardware manufacturers, since having hash power is never going to be enough to mine more but
Only you need to add to your power constantly to be able to continue mining as before, meaning if you have 10 times of whole network power right now you couldn't mine 10 times more bitcoin but because of difficulty increase you will just mine the same amount as before.
What that means is every one can start mining at any time as long as they just go and buy the miners(machines) and again as more people join
The old miners(people) need to add more miner(machines) to again mine as before.

Then f**k this system which is made to benefit big companies and produce more heat and uses more electricity.

Even if 10 QC start mining at full scale and no matter what we do the bitcoins would always take decades to be mined.
legendary
July 06, 2016, 03:29:24 PM
So you don't even admit the possibility of being wrong? What if you just don't know something or, which is even worse, know something which is not what you think it is?

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so"

Hi Deisik! Noooo, not at all. I am often wrong like everybody, and everything I write is simply "my humble opinion". In fact I also wrote, in the "more elaborated reply" which was not quoted, that to cancel the halving is technically possible, although, for the reasons I have explained, is 99.99999999% impossible (unless the miners decide to voluntarily decide to implement a new rule that would put them out of business).

The whole point of what I am writing in this post, is to try and let new users understand how Bitcoin works and that yes, the halving will take place in exactly 409 blocks. Why? Because it's a rule written in the Bitcoin code. Can't the rule be changed? Theoretically yes, but nobody would implement it.

If you insist that Bitcoin halving is inevitable, then no, I can't agree with that. And I disagree not because there is a tiny but real chance of an asteroid hitting the Earth thereby making Bitcoin and its mining reward halving irrelevant (or something along these lines), but because you base your assumptions and conclusions (that Bitcoin halving is inevitable) on premises which you consider as adamant and rock-solid ("it's a rule written in the Bitcoin code") while I think them rather shaky in fact...

On the other hand, the Bitcoin high price as of recent seems to me to be a more decisive factor in favor of the coming halving than some obscure variable (or constant) hidden in the depths of Bitcoin codebase
Wherever I may roam
July 06, 2016, 03:10:56 PM
the OP is just shared a thought which may be right or may be wrong..
Not really. It's simply wrong, full stop

So you insist that under no circumstances Bitcoin halving could be (have been) canceled?

Short reply: yes, I insist

Activity: 644
Merit: 500
July 06, 2016, 02:35:10 PM
Bitcoin halving cancel? its impossible  to happen because it already publish that even since 2013 we experience it and now block halving will happen again and i think no can prevent or cancel it.
Bitcoin took off but only slightly. The current status surely is not the target already. When adoption is so high that the fees are high enough to reward miners and at least make the network secure a couple of times then we would not need block rewards beside fee anymore. But we have a long way to go till that.

legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1010
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
July 06, 2016, 02:25:20 PM
Bitcoin halving cancel? its impossible  to happen because it already publish that even since 2013 we experience it and now block halving will happen again and i think no can prevent or cancel it.
of course halving will not be canceled in my opinion because it would be really bad i think because people would lose their belief in bitcoins and that would be terrible i think
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1030
Privacy is always important
July 06, 2016, 02:17:06 PM
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
Young but I'm not that bold
July 06, 2016, 02:00:48 PM
we are very few days away from thee halving.
I believe no on in the community wants  the halving timing to be changed even the next ones. it is the better way to keep mining long time without raising fees that much
legendary
July 06, 2016, 01:50:20 PM

So you insist that under no circumstances Bitcoin halving could be (have been) canceled?

Short reply: yes, I insist

Wherever I may roam
July 06, 2016, 01:25:32 PM

Short reply: yes, I insist.
More elaborated reply: technically, it would be possible to modify the code and cancel the halving, although then this new code should be adopted by miners. And although this could have theoretically a short term incentive for them, keeping the reward at 25, it would almost immediately put them out of business. People are buying bitcoins on the assumption that there will be a finite amount of currency in circulation. This is what gives them value. Cancelling the halving would transform bitcoin in an infinite currency, and nobody wants another one. So, to sum it up, miners would never opt in for such a change of rules.

Hope it makes sense Smiley
legendary
July 06, 2016, 11:14:59 AM
haha just thought OP - Lets create some thread and created this of halving to be cancelled. So OP do you still feel now it would be cancelled?

I think you you'd better go and read the whole thread. And yes, I answered that question (as you mean it) as well as had given the rationale for halving, well, to be (or not to be) canceled
Activity: 3010
Merit: 629
July 06, 2016, 11:08:57 AM
4 more days and the most awaited bitcoin halving will be happen.
I saw some article on facebook that before halving bitcoin will reached 3000$.
Yes few more days and halving are just right there i save enough bitcoin for that time and hoping to atleast gain more coins. looking forward to that.
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
July 06, 2016, 11:05:48 AM
haha just thought OP - Lets create some thread and created this of halving to be cancelled. So OP do you still feel now it would be cancelled?
legendary
July 06, 2016, 11:02:10 AM

Wherever I may roam
July 06, 2016, 10:41:59 AM
Not really. It's simply wrong, full stop.

legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1037
July 06, 2016, 07:35:47 AM
I dont think such a thing can be canceled you know. There are allot of people who want to cancel the halving but when it happend it needs
to happen and you cant to anything about it then.

there is no one who need to cancel bitcoin halving.. the OP is just shared a thought which may be right or may be wrong..
Personally I think halving can't be canceled, the halving is fixed and it will happen for sure. but we can talk about bitcoin price. I mean peoples are saying that bitcoin price will grow up at the time of halving. but no one is sure. so we can say the same thing about bitcoin price. bitcoin price won't increase at the time of halving..
Let's see.
legendary
July 06, 2016, 06:08:06 AM

The time is running out, so what are you waiting for? Sell your home, buy Bitcoin
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
July 06, 2016, 06:06:01 AM
Wherever I may roam
July 06, 2016, 05:32:38 AM
What?

Who has the most power over Bitcoin? Right, these are mining pools. Who is most interested in preserving the current block reward? The same mining pools...

Who gives a fuck what the pools do, it's what the miners do.

I see a .000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000001% chance miners agree to risk the value of bitcoin and change the 21 mill target.
The halvung of the bitcoin cant be canceled because it will happen when we reach the half amount of bitcoins you know so we want to get it cancelled but we cant let it cancelled
So if you think the halving wil be cancelled i say sorry that is not true.

...at the same we can't say exactly that halving occurs because bitcoin is full of unexpected happenings...

You must be joking. Can't you guys just educate yourself about bitcoin (since you are in a bitcoin forum) and stop writing useless nonsense?
Pages:
Jump to: