Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin halving to be canceled? - page 8. (Read 33718 times)

Activity: 2926
Merit: 636
June 14, 2016, 03:55:54 AM
How can you cancel bitcoin halving, I think the price now even the halving is not happening is already the effect of it, why cancel if you can ride with it doing some short term investment with a guaranteed money in the near future, this is good and I love it.
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
Bravity is beautiful.
June 14, 2016, 03:27:16 AM
There was much hype about the Fed raising interest rates in 2015, but we are still there, at the lowest possible level (wtf, it is even no longer the lowest possible limit). Bitcoin halving in July, 2016, is talked about as much, but will it really happen?

I ain't sure
If someone is not believe on halving, so it doesn't mean that Halving will be canceled. I am using bitcoin because i believe on it, everyone know most of the other Cryptocurrencies are here, but people like bitcoin more than others, it is proof that they trust on it and also same situation on halving, if you say that halving is not coming, So what's going on?
Nothing. Mean it will come in his own time. No one can change, it is a big event, who made currency Bitcoin.
The halving will be not canceled and that is because you already can see that the price of Bitcoin is going to be higher and that is really nice.
But of course it is hard to know what is going to happen in the future with the currency but it will have a long life I think.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
June 13, 2016, 06:59:00 PM
There was much hype about the Fed raising interest rates in 2015, but we are still there, at the lowest possible level (wtf, it is even no longer the lowest possible limit). Bitcoin halving in July, 2016, is talked about as much, but will it really happen?

I ain't sure
If someone is not believe on halving, so it doesn't mean that Halving will be canceled. I am using bitcoin because i believe on it, everyone know most of the other Cryptocurrencies are here, but people like bitcoin more than others, it is proof that they trust on it and also same situation on halving, if you say that halving is not coming, So what's going on?
Nothing. Mean it will come in his own time. No one can change, it is a big event, who made currency Bitcoin.
Activity: 593
Merit: 505
Wherever I may roam
June 13, 2016, 05:13:46 PM
Bitcoin will become a currency when it starts being used as a currency, i.e. for commerce, not for profiteering ("buy low, sell high")

Can't agree more.. that's why I hate 90% of the posts in this forum.
legendary
Activity: 3486
Merit: 1280
English ⬄ Russian Translation Services
June 13, 2016, 01:24:40 PM
The difference is only quantitative really. If something should threaten Bitcoin existence as such and uncapping it (or cancelling halving, for that matter) would save it, I have no doubts that all required changes will be made (hard fork or no hard fork)...

Necessity is the mother of invention

I know, but why it should be canceled? As I said, halving is one of the main points of Bitcoin, the first time in history we have a currency that cannot be produced indefinitely + decentralised. If that is not needed, what's the point of having Bitcoin at all?

You can safely cross out "decentralized". Oh, wait, I already did that for you, I'm sorry

The main issue with your point is that Bitcoin is not a currency, and may never become such at all. So far it is no more than a speculative asset which intrinsic value (that of transactional utility since it pretends to be a currency) is next-to-nothing compared to its current market value (which is 99% sheer speculation)

Why you don't see it as a currency? I don't believe its value is caused by speculation (I would say the speculation part could be not more than 10%, maybe slightly more at current price). Although I see many people here who don't believe in Bitcoin, but rather see the currency as a mere speculation, I still believe that much of the current value is given by people who see it as a currency which can retain or increase its value

Money is what money does. And what it should do is facilitate the exchange of goods. Now compare the amount of goods that are sold and bought for Bitcoin (say, in dollar terms) with the amount of bitcoins directly exchanged for fiat (in the same dollar terms)...

Bitcoin will become a currency when it starts being used as a currency, i.e. for commerce, not for profiteering ("buy low, sell high")
Wherever I may roam
June 13, 2016, 12:42:01 PM
The difference is only quantitative really. If something should threaten Bitcoin existence as such and uncapping it (or cancelling halving, for that matter) would save it, I have no doubts that all required changes will be made (hard fork or no hard fork)...

I know, but why it should be canceled? As I said, halving is one of the main points of Bitcoin, the first time in history we have a currency that cannot be produced indefinitely + decentralised. If that is not needed, what's the point of having Bitcoin at all?

You can safely cross out "decentralized". Oh, wait, I already did that for you, I'm sorry

The main issue with your point is that Bitcoin is not a currency, and may never become such at all. So far it is no more than a speculative asset which intrinsic value (that of transactional utility since it pretends to be a currency) is next-to-nothing compared to its current market value (which is 99% sheer speculation)

Why you don't see it as a currency? I don't believe its value is caused by speculation (I would say the speculation part could be not more than 10%, maybe slightly more at current price). Although I see many people here who don't believe in Bitcoin, but rather see the currency as a mere speculation, I still believe that much of the current value is given by people who see it as a currency which can retain or increase its value. Of course I see your point regarding decentralisation, at least from the miners point of view. On the other hand, if it was so centralised as you say, they would do exactly what is mentioned by OP, i.e. revoking the halving rule, since they will be the only ones loosing money thanks to it.
legendary
June 13, 2016, 11:31:01 AM

Wherever I may roam
June 13, 2016, 09:45:20 AM
Well I don't think that bitcoin halving will be cancelled because of two reasons.

Halving WILL NOT be canceled, just for one reason only. Because it CANNOT be canceled. It's among the fundamental principles of Bitcoin, hardcoded in the protocol. It's also one of the main reason why bitcoins have value. The predictability of the supply. No one can decide to cancel it. Only a hard fork could do it, but it wouldn't be Bitcoin anymore

Laws carved in stone are rewritten in blood. But Bitcoin is not a law, and blockchain is not a stone either. Dogecoins had also been capped initially, then the coin's protocol had been changed. And so what? What's done by one people can be undone by other people...

This is not the law of gravity after all

Not sure if you're seriously comparing Bitcoin with Dogecoin..

legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
June 13, 2016, 06:18:56 AM
besides that the only one that wants it to be cancelled are miners, but since they can not dictate shit, because merchants have same importance, we are hopefully safe from their centralization

there will be no cancellation, better efficiency and increae in price will make for it, like it was planned, and it's wokring as intended, bitcoin price is skyrocketing

before all of you start thinking that this is a fake pump and the price will return to the previous point, i can tell you that it will not happen, as it did not happen that we returned to 230 after the pump to 450-500
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
June 13, 2016, 05:26:05 AM
Well, it can't happen because of many reasons. Also people cann't believe on it. halving is definitely coming, because of bitcoin.
Only one thing that can be canceled of halving and that is bitcoin ending. So when ever bitcoin will remain so it is impossible that halving will be canceled. Also that it is all set up, no one can change it, it is automatically running, so don't believe in rumors.       
legendary
June 13, 2016, 04:39:58 AM
No that is not going to happen the only thing that can happen is that the value of Bitcoin wont rise and that would be bad for the most people with Bitcoin already.
But not everyone will know what they will do in the future and that is the bad thing of Bitcoin.

Spammers everywhere. This one seems to have been finally thrown out from his sig campaign but nevertheless obstinately keeps on spamming, lol
Activity: 364
June 13, 2016, 03:16:03 AM
I dont think also that bitcoin halving event be canceled this year.It is a event hosted and prepared by developers of bitcoin and every users are waiting it for  4 years so bitcoin halving event must be launched because if that will be canceled maybe some users wil boycott bitcoin.

Since people are still posting here (and most likely will continue to do so even after the halving), it feels like I should update the opening post a little, a little later...

So that there would be no need to open a new thread with the same title after the halving is over
No that is not going to happen the only thing that can happen is that the value of Bitcoin wont rise and that would be bad for the most people with Bitcoin already.
But not everyone will know what they will do in the future and that is the bad thing of Bitcoin.
Activity: 686
June 13, 2016, 02:41:54 AM
It is not to canceled, Bitcoin, a deflationary store of value as opposed to reserve currencies and fiat-money, The reward for mining Bitcoin is expected to see the second halving in its history......
Activity: 686
June 13, 2016, 01:59:47 AM
I dont think also that bitcoin halving event be canceled this year.It is a event hosted and prepared by developers of bitcoin and every users are waiting it for  4 years so bitcoin halving event must be launched because if that will be canceled maybe some users wil boycott bitcoin.

Yes, why would anyone want to cancel the halving? Canceling it would have no positive effects whatsoever.
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 4418
Crypto Swap Exchange
June 13, 2016, 01:43:40 AM
Well I don't think that bitcoin halving will be cancelled because of two reasons. The first reason is that the halving has a countdown and is set to happen 4years after last halving. The second reason is that because it had a set date, it can't be cancelled because it is already happening. The slow blockchain transaction sometimes are the proof that it will not be cancelled.  Grin

Yeah, bitcoin is decentralized and trustless which means that nobody can actually cancel anything that is already going to happen. And halving is happening every 210k blocks, or 4 years approx.
Since it is decentralised, if majority of the network supports cancelling the fork, the developers can introduce another Bitcoin software which allows for 25BTC of reward without halving. However, it would have a fork where only those who supports it will join it. If the majority of the community doesn't want it, the modified one(extremely likely) would become another altcoin.

It's like a bitcoin transaction, it can't be reversed once it's set.
That is if the transaction is before the checkpoint. Unless the community wants to run a modified client which changes it.
Activity: 294
June 12, 2016, 07:57:02 PM
Well I don't think that bitcoin halving will be cancelled because of two reasons. The first reason is that the halving has a countdown and is set to happen 4years after last halving. The second reason is that because it had a set date, it can't be cancelled because it is already happening. The slow blockchain transaction sometimes are the proof that it will not be cancelled.  Grin

Yeah, bitcoin is decentralized and trustless which means that nobody can actually cancel anything that is already going to happen. And halving is happening every 210k blocks, or 4 years approx.

It's like a bitcoin transaction, it can't be reversed once it's set.
Activity: 434
Merit: 251
June 12, 2016, 06:05:40 PM
As we can see price is always increasing so i think that halving will not be canceled for sure, many miners will lost half of theirs earnings but who cares?
legendary
June 12, 2016, 05:17:21 PM
Well I don't think that bitcoin halving will be cancelled because of two reasons.

Halving WILL NOT be canceled, just for one reason only. Because it CANNOT be canceled. It's among the fundamental principles of Bitcoin, hardcoded in the protocol. It's also one of the main reason why bitcoins have value. The predictability of the supply. No one can decide to cancel it. Only a hard fork could do it, but it wouldn't be Bitcoin anymore

Laws carved in stone are rewritten in blood. But Bitcoin is not a law, and blockchain is not a stone either. Dogecoins had also been capped initially, then the coin's protocol had been changed. And so what? What's done by one people can be undone by other people...

Wherever I may roam
June 12, 2016, 04:59:09 PM

legendary
June 12, 2016, 04:50:54 PM

Pages:
Jump to: