Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Wallet for Android - page 12. (Read 121199 times)

legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
July 12, 2013, 05:11:04 AM
Hey, I updated and I can't set the fee anymore? Oh, it was done on purpose. Okay. Yes, there should be an option to be able to adjust it upward, even if only by a satoshi.
Activity: 91
Merit: 10
July 09, 2013, 06:51:18 PM
Ok, I figured it out. The issue is described here:
http://commonsware.com/blog/2011/08/31/mtp-external-storage.html

The workaround is as follows. Go to Settings – Apps – All, Media Storage, Click on “Clear cache,” then reboot the phone.
After that the bitcoin-wallet-keys backup file will show up in the “[\Internal storage]\Download” folder, via MTP.

July 09, 2013, 06:12:15 PM
The Download directory is there, but it got nothing except a few pdf files I downloaded through Android web browser.

I will try your other suggestion. Thank you.

Edit: Hmmm, I still need access to that folder in case I need to restore the backup, as restore does not seem to support email or Google drive, only internal/external storage.
Activity: 483
Merit: 501
July 09, 2013, 06:03:14 PM
MTP already shares the "SD-card", so look for a "Download" directory.

Its probably easier to backup to your email account or Google drive. After exporting, you're getting asked to Archive and select an app for that purpose.
July 09, 2013, 05:57:15 PM
Hello,

I installed Android wallet by Andreas Schildbach on a phone that does not have an SD card. Can you help me figuring out how to get the keys backup file out of the phone?

The “Export private keys” routine says it saves the backup to “/storage/emulated/0/Download/” location.
However when I browse the phone over MTP, I see no such folder. I do not have “data/data/” ether.

So, how do I get to the backup location?

Android version 4.2.2

Thanks.
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129
July 08, 2013, 05:41:01 AM
The exploit is easy to reliably detect (it can't be obfuscated) so as long as you stick to just using apps from the Play Store you'll be fine. Once security updates are issued, you can go back to installing random apps from anywhere again.
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
July 07, 2013, 05:37:21 PM
Any comment on this story with respect to my Android wallet?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23179522
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
July 06, 2013, 12:33:34 AM
To improve the situation, fees are now adjusted to the exact minimum needed.

Define "minimum needed." I send a lot of transactions with 0-fee, and because I have old coins 0-fee is the minimum needed.
July 01, 2013, 05:23:39 PM
Worse, they let people change the fee themselves, so it was possible for the app to do the right thing and then users broke it by setting the fee to zero.
But it will be still possible to change them manually?

What usually happens if people set them to zero is that people are waiting for days to get their transactions confirmed, which means they will mail me for support. To improve the situation, fees are now adjusted to the exact minimum needed. Manual adjustment is no longer possible. In future, I might allow adjusting upwards, but not downwards.
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003
June 29, 2013, 02:50:05 PM
Worse, they let people change the fee themselves, so it was possible for the app to do the right thing and then users broke it by setting the fee to zero.
But it will be still possible to change them manually?
legendary
Activity: 1173
Merit: 1000
June 29, 2013, 12:03:23 PM
It was wrong before, and after the reset it became correct.

Why can they be different? It can happen for a couple of reasons, one is bugs (which obviously need to be fixed) and the other reason is if you lose synchronization to the network for some reason. For instance if you have two coins and then send one of them to someone else but the transaction never "goes through", your wallet will have your balance be 1 coin. But if you then reset your wallet then you'll get back in sync with what the rest of the people using Bitcoin perceive, which is that you have 2 coins.

Transactions can fail to go through for a number of reasons, one obvious one is that the fees are wrong. Earlier versions of the app didn't always calculate the min required fee correctly, so you could create spends that some nodes would accept and others wouldn't. Worse, they let people change the fee themselves, so it was possible for the app to do the right thing and then users broke it by setting the fee to zero.

These issues are getting fixed over time. The latest version does fees correctly, for instance. But it seems we may still have a bug that lets peoples wallets get desynced from the network sometimes. I've never had this happen to me and I use the app quite a lot, but there can be bugs related to timing or different devices.

I'm happy with that explanation.

And I thank you for taking the time to provide such a response.

Cheers Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129
June 29, 2013, 11:43:44 AM
It was wrong before, and after the reset it became correct.

Why can they be different? It can happen for a couple of reasons, one is bugs (which obviously need to be fixed) and the other reason is if you lose synchronization to the network for some reason. For instance if you have two coins and then send one of them to someone else but the transaction never "goes through", your wallet will have your balance be 1 coin. But if you then reset your wallet then you'll get back in sync with what the rest of the people using Bitcoin perceive, which is that you have 2 coins.

Transactions can fail to go through for a number of reasons, one obvious one is that the fees are wrong. Earlier versions of the app didn't always calculate the min required fee correctly, so you could create spends that some nodes would accept and others wouldn't. Worse, they let people change the fee themselves, so it was possible for the app to do the right thing and then users broke it by setting the fee to zero.

These issues are getting fixed over time. The latest version does fees correctly, for instance. But it seems we may still have a bug that lets peoples wallets get desynced from the network sometimes. I've never had this happen to me and I use the app quite a lot, but there can be bugs related to timing or different devices.
legendary
June 29, 2013, 10:23:22 AM
I know you are trying your best to help, but what clues do you suggest i look for? Clues that would lead me to think my wallet had an incorrect balance before the fact? I  am confused.

Transactions go in and out of an account, why would the balance ever be incorrect? How often should one re-calculate balances manually? I think this is something that will only be known after the fact.

You do a reset and the balance is different. It shouldn't be different. But now it is. Was it wrong before. Or is it wrong now. Is there any way to tell 100%?

Just because the system says it is "x.x" now doesn't mean the system can't be wrong now. It reminds me of that old movie 'The Net' with Sandra Bullock. "Sorry maam the system says your not so and so but rather miss someone else, and the system can't be wrong".

Anyways, no point crying over spilt milk. Good luck with your future efforts with the app. Like I said at start, the app worked great for ages Smiley

June 29, 2013, 06:39:44 AM
If in future you see what you think is a wrong wallet balance, send me the wallet dump (before replaying the blockchain) and I'll look into it.
legendary
June 29, 2013, 05:56:16 AM
Its a possibility i guess, but the missing btc amounts total 0.3 btc and there is no way 'dust spam transactions' amounted to this much.

Its just weird is all.
Am just worried about using the app going forward. 0.3 btc might not be much, but the 16+ btc i transferred out right before the replay of the blockchain is alot (for me anyways). What if i hadn't sent that amount out before the replay. Would it be in the 'never never' now too?
June 29, 2013, 05:49:29 AM
Yes, I'm the dev.

The wallet dump I have from you is from after the blockchain replay as far as I can tell, and the dump is ok - shows the correct amount of Bitcoins.

Its possible that your wallet was somehow corrupt before. There have been bugs in the app during the last months that could have caused this. Especially dangerous are your incoming dust spam transactions that spend to a lot of addresses (not only yours) - the app currently does not handle these tx very well. We are working on improving this.
legendary
June 29, 2013, 05:18:37 AM
Goonie, are you the dev? if so, we have been emailing and you already have the dump of my wallet. If you are not, how do i get that to you?
Thanks for taking the time to look into this. Smiley
June 29, 2013, 05:06:43 AM
OK that's fine about micro transfers. But it still doesn't explain the missing 0.3 btc.

Its hard to say, unless you can send me a wallet dump from before the blockchain reset.

Perhaps you had a pending incoming tx that was never confirmed. With the reset, it was just removed from the wallet.
legendary
June 28, 2013, 08:45:29 PM
OK that's fine about micro transfers. But it still doesn't explain the missing 0.3 btc. If only a % of the wallet users have btc disappear on them, it would add up to a considerable sum pretty quick.

I am not saying anything deliberate is happening, but there needs to be an explanation as to what occurred. A wallet contains a balance of 0.x000 prior to replaying the block chain, and is then replaced with 0.00x00 after the reset.

Something's up with that.
June 28, 2013, 02:20:07 PM
Ok, i have done that. i still have a micro balance now and i managed to export and decrypt private key. (its 52 characters in length and starts with L). I tried to redeem it at Mtgox but it says the wallet has no coins in it?? So then i checked importing it at blockchain wallet and it DOES have the micro coins balance in it. The missing coins totals to only 0.3xxx BTC... but I am worried about whether to continue using it and telling friends to cease using it also it the wallet has issues with it. I'm just glad that i moved 16.2 BTC out before doing the reset.

I'm not sure what you mean with "micro balance". If you received transactions below the dust limit (~0.0001 BTC), I'm afraid it will be difficult to spend the value and that's perhaps the reason other services don't include that in a "redeemable amount". To be sure, you need to check with the service in question.

Because of this problem, Bitcoin Wallet shows a warning with every incoming dust transaction.
Pages:
Jump to: