Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Wallet for Android - page 11. (Read 121199 times)

Activity: 483
Merit: 501
July 23, 2013, 12:22:18 PM
Any ETA on when HD wallets will be implemented?

Support for the algorithm has been merged for bitcoinj 0.10, which I think will be released shortly. However, it does not yet contain any wallet integration. I hope (but cannot know) that integration will happen in bitcoinj 0.11. At about the same time, I will try to roll first previews of HD wallets in Bitcoin Wallet. For a release, some more plumbing needs to be done, for example adapting the backup format.

I'd say its at least 2-3 months away. But don't take my word for it.
Activity: 77
Merit: 13
July 23, 2013, 12:01:10 PM
Any ETA on when HD wallets will be implemented?
July 23, 2013, 11:45:30 AM
The problem with "just that option" is that it adds to the overall complexity of the app. Needs to be tested, maintained and supported. There is already far too many special cases. So generally I'm trying to remove options that are not needed any more.

My overall focus on the app is safety and being easy to use. I do not priorize rather specific needs of power users. I think those are better off using specialized tools. That said, maybe someone should start a branch of the app aimed at power users? It's all open source.

The "single trusted node" model is not supported - it's missing authentication. Including dust in blocks is something I don't want to encourage or support at all. Rather than donating via the transaction fee why don't you just use a separate transaction?
Activity: 793
Merit: 1016
July 23, 2013, 11:22:48 AM
Just the option, that's all I'm asking!  It can even be turned off by default and have warnings every time I use it!  And don't get me wrong, I very much appreciate the fee being calculated to be exactly the necessary amount-- that's amazing, and I'm very greatful for it.  Alls I want is the option to change it!
July 23, 2013, 11:09:32 AM
I very much want to be able to control the fee myself.

Why?

Because that's part of the entire purpose of bitcoin: control.  Maybe I want to donate more to the miners because I feel like supporting the network.  Maybe I am connected to a single trusted node that I know relays dust and mines for a pool that includes dust in blocks, and I want to send a no-fee dust transaction that I know will take a long time to confirm but I want to send it anyway.

The point is that while I may know what the network may or may not accept, I still want to ability to have the final say in what I do.  Isn't that the whole point of bitcoin?  For the user to have the final say on how he uses his money?

I'd much rather have a warning that says "You might fuck this up, don't say I didn't warn you" but still lets me do it.  Maybe like an option in the settings menu that's turned off by default but can be enabled and shows that pop-up warning when enabled.
July 23, 2013, 10:06:15 AM

Why?
July 23, 2013, 09:53:43 AM
Since a few weeks, the correct fee is now calculated automatically. So don't worry about your tx ending up in limbo.

Can you still have an option to change it though?  And maybe just a pop-up warning about changing it?

July 23, 2013, 03:17:11 AM
Since a few weeks, the correct fee is now calculated automatically. So don't worry about your tx ending up in limbo.
July 23, 2013, 03:11:02 AM
I was just about to use it (the latest version), but on the send page, there was nowhere to input a fee amount.  It was a small transaction and I didn't want it in limbo so I used another app.  Where the heck do I type in the fee amount??
July 17, 2013, 03:54:10 AM
Im using Version 3.13. Is this app downloading the blockchain to my phone to sync?

It only downloads a tiny fraction of the chain, just as much as it needs to provide the security of your wallet.
Activity: 258
Merit: 250
Zoinks! Its the Miner Miner Forty-Niner!
July 17, 2013, 03:46:50 AM
Im using Version 3.13. Is this app downloading the blockchain to my phone to sync?
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
July 13, 2013, 08:13:25 PM
Oh, well, so far my transactions get confirmed within the next 3 or 4 blocks, sometimes 5 or 6 blocks. I've always sent with a fee except when it's not needed.

I just read about someone sending more than the minimum required fee, and for even larger transactions that is recommended for faster processing, like if you are buying chips from an asic manufacturer.

Blockchain.info sometimes displays a queue number on my transactions and an estimated time in the hours, as in estimated confirmation is 12 hours... But then it gets confirmed within the next 3 blocks, so I don't know.

BTW, this is with the bitcoin-qt client on desktop/laptop. For android, I used to just set a slightly higher fee than 0.0001. Like 0.0002.
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129
July 13, 2013, 02:57:13 PM
But we are not even close to the 1mb size limit today so miners could also just accept your transaction without the higher fee.

Do you experience confirmation delays often?
legendary
The Concierge of Crypto
July 13, 2013, 01:41:31 PM
People who know what they're doing can compile Bitcoin Wallet from source. Feel free to do so, it's open!

If you're root on your phone you can copy the wallet and unencrypted key backups anyway. See the readme.

Back to the idea of raising the fee: What do you want to achieve? I'd like to understand the reasoning.

Raising the fee by any amount gives the transaction a higher priority. Correct? Therefore, it should be confirmed faster than everything else that just gives the same standard fee or less. Even a 0.0001 increase should satisfy most miners and give them incentive to include your transaction in the next block.
July 13, 2013, 01:03:16 PM
People who know what they're doing can compile Bitcoin Wallet from source. Feel free to do so, it's open!

If you're root on your phone you can copy the wallet and unencrypted key backups anyway. See the readme.

Back to the idea of raising the fee: What do you want to achieve? I'd like to understand the reasoning.
legendary
The Concierge of Crypto
July 13, 2013, 12:27:21 PM
What do you want to achieve by raising the fee by one Satoshi?

It's still higher than the default minimum fee. When I said one Satoshi, that could also mean another 0.0001 or something similar, so now I'm paying double the default minimum fee.

Exporting without password will not be supported for security reasons.

I think it's been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, if you've got root, you can export the private key already. But people who root their phones probably know what they're doing. You might want to add an option that can only be set by root, for example, and then allow those people to set the fee as they like (zero or otherwise). This way, you still prevent newbies from doing this accidentally. A warning can also work ("warning: you are attempting to broadcast a transaction with a fee that is too low. Are you sure?")

Or something like that.
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005
this space intentionally left blank
July 13, 2013, 11:34:59 AM
requests:
- make "export to multibit" an option
AND/OR
- make "export to aes.json blockchain.info" an option
AND/OR
- make "export w/o password" an option
As MultiBit and Bitcoin Wallet use the same interchangable export format, MultiBit is already supported.

urgh - just needed to rename it to ".key"
and enter the correct pwd ^^
maybe you can get the multibit guys to remove the forced naming convention when opening a file.

I can get behind that.

as well as provide a "sign clipboard contents with default address" an option.
Its not top prio, but at some point I'd like to support signing and verifying as well. Can you open an enhancement request at
http://code.google.com/p/bitcoin-wallet/issues/list
Uhm, yeah, sure.

^__^
July 13, 2013, 11:26:43 AM
requests:
AND/OR
AND/OR

As MultiBit and Bitcoin Wallet use the same interchangable export format, MultiBit is already supported.

I think someone mentioned Blockchain.info can read that format as well, so its also supported.

Its not top prio, but at some point I'd like to support signing and verifying as well. Can you open an enhancement request at

http://code.google.com/p/bitcoin-wallet/issues/list
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005
this space intentionally left blank
July 13, 2013, 10:55:40 AM
requests:

AND/OR
AND/OR

here's why:
bought a couple of Avalon Chips from my Android wallet, now they're making me sign stuff with the address.
Means I need to jump through a bunch of hoops to be able to do that.
July 12, 2013, 05:36:04 AM
What do you want to achieve by raising the fee by one Satoshi?
Pages:
Jump to: