Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Wallet for Android - page 14. (Read 121199 times)

legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129
May 01, 2013, 05:06:37 PM
That is a bug. If you reset your chain and let it sync that should fix it.
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
May 01, 2013, 11:29:56 AM
One of my transactions is listed as "dead" in the wallet and shows a "!" instead of the normal green circle.  The transaction shows as valid in the block chain.  What is going on?  Do I need to reset/reload the block chain in order to fix this?

My wallet balance is correct.
The person I sent the coins to got the coins.

So it is just anoying to look at in the GUI on my phone, does not appear to have affected anything.

Transaction in question is:

https://blockchain.info/tx/9b0ee3b78b18950b491b6e86d763bd3ae418ec0f7785d322f2615e544d998ebe
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
April 18, 2013, 10:49:47 PM
Okay, I am root, and found it in /data/data/de.schildbach.wallet/files

There is a key-backup-base58 and several versions of that same file, and a wallet-protobuf.

I've also found how to import public keys (bitcoin addresses) via QR code, but there isn't a way to import private key QR codes, or private keys in WIF.

Anyway, I will probably just use one key for mobile phone use.
Activity: 644
Merit: 504
April 18, 2013, 12:32:26 PM
Is that backup file encrypted?

It's probably not yet relevant, but I fully expect it will be in future: Any app can read from external storage (SD card). As soon as unencrypted private keys on unprotected storage become common enough, malicious apps will read and leak them.

It wasn't encrypted.
I'm talking about the last version of Android Wallet that still "worked" under Android 2.1, it was months ago. I didn't install almost anything anymore on that phone, and I'm not using any wallet app too. I tried to install Electrum (i liked the idea of a phone/PC synced wallet) on a new Android phone, not rooted, but without luck.
Activity: 483
Merit: 501
April 18, 2013, 12:07:37 PM
I had a mess on my phone at that time (SGS and Android 2.1... bleah), it wasn't working well anymore and I needed to uninstall most of the apps to have an usable phone, fortunately I had those backups on my sd card. Smiley

Is that backup file encrypted?

It's probably not yet relevant, but I fully expect it will be in future: Any app can read from external storage (SD card). As soon as unencrypted private keys on unprotected storage become common enough, malicious apps will read and leak them.
April 18, 2013, 11:51:03 AM
I used Titanium Backup to import keys in MultiBit, but you need to be root.
Make a backup of Bitcoin Wallet, look for the archive
de.schildbach.wallet-SOME_DATE_HERE.tgz
open it, look for data/data/de.schildbach.wallet/./files/key-backup-base58

If you're root, you can just as well pull this file from the device directly, without taking the Titanium detour.

I had a mess on my phone at that time (SGS and Android 2.1... bleah), it wasn't working well anymore and I needed to uninstall most of the apps to have an usable phone, fortunately I had those backups on my sd card. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000
My money; Our Bitcoin.
April 18, 2013, 11:43:01 AM
Is there a way to export the private key unencrypted? I need to see it, so I can import it in another client, like the desktop clients. Also, is there a way to import your own private key?

You can decrypt it yourself... either by downloading an AES ( 256 bit ) decrypter or using one of the online ones. 

I did that to import some keys into blockchain.info/wallet that I exported from this android wallet. 
April 18, 2013, 11:38:46 AM

If you're root, you can just as well pull this file from the device directly, without taking the Titanium detour.
April 18, 2013, 11:36:37 AM
Is there a way to export the private key unencrypted? I need to see it, so I can import it in another client, like the desktop clients. Also, is there a way to import your own private key?

Moving private keys around is a discouraged use-case. There is a lot of thing that can go terribly wrong.

That said, you cannot export unencrypted because on Android there is no shared storage you can trust. But you can export encrypted and decrypt using openssl, see this readme:

http://bitcoin-wallet.googlecode.com/git/wallet/README

Importing keys is also possible.
April 18, 2013, 11:33:44 AM

legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
April 18, 2013, 09:39:06 AM
legendary
April 08, 2013, 04:30:27 PM
The current fee should always be high enough, I think.

I think $ communicates the idea of "other currency" pretty well, even if it's not technically accurate for the currency you selected. BTW, it's also still not really obvious how to change that currency, imo. There's no visible indication you can tap the balance.
April 08, 2013, 04:21:46 PM
Changing the pencil icon to a $ sign would help with discoverability a lot. I've been encouraging Andreas to hide the fee widget behind an advanced button or something, that would free up some space to make both fiat and btc equal partners on the screen.

$ is a nice idea, however has got the problem it does not work so well for Euro and other currencies.

I agree that the fee field has to go, but think that first proper fee rules need to be implemented so that users have no need to adjust.
legendary
April 08, 2013, 03:15:46 PM
Changing the pencil icon to a $ sign would help with discoverability a lot. I've been encouraging Andreas to hide the fee widget behind an advanced button or something, that would free up some space to make both fiat and btc equal partners on the screen.
April 08, 2013, 02:41:31 PM
Had an issue on 3.0 with screen rotation when scanning QR codes, a crash error pops up but I was a long way from sober and the reporting tool confused the hell out of me.

If you can reproduce that, I'd be happy if you tell me the email you used for reporting and if you open an issue in the tracker.

Couple of suggestions. Show fiat value when entering amounts and/or allow fiat values to be entered.

Already implemented since two years. It's hidden behind the edit button on each amount field. Was going to change it to inline (have code for that on a branch), but I am not convinced its currently the right thing to do.

Big drunken idiot proof buttons for send and receive, address book, QR or enter address on next send screen,

There not a lot of space for big buttons. Can you separate this out a bit?

last amounts and labels on receive screen etc.

Whats the receive screen? What does last amount mean?

A lot of folks are asking me about Bitcoin and nearly all of them have android phones, so far 3 have bought coins off me there and then. The blockchain updating was a bit of an irritation to them but it was more or less enough time for a cup of coffee so not bad.

Version 3.0 will do away with initial blockchain download. You can try already:

http://code.google.com/p/bitcoin-wallet/downloads/list
legendary
March 21, 2013, 07:54:21 AM
"Package is invalid" sounds like a problem with the Play Store app. It is being updated to a new version at the moment, it's possible the glitch was related to that.
March 21, 2013, 07:54:10 AM
When updating, there is a short time where the app is in an undefined state: The app directory is there (including the app data) and the launcher knows about the app, but the app itself is uninstalled. If you try to start the app in this state, you'll get errors (depending on the launcher).
Activity: 340
Merit: 250
GO http://bitcointa.lk !!! My new nick: jurov
March 21, 2013, 07:26:49 AM
Strange...my android phone today suddenly said "Bitcoin: Package is invalid". It usually autoupdates in the morning after I turn it on, so it may have happened then. When clicking on the alert, it shortly shown Play store with BitcoinWallet info, but Play app immediately crashed with "No connection".

On second attempt Play launched and I was able to update the Bitcoin Wallet. All seems ok now, so I don't really have anything to report, just wonder, was it attack? Or just botched update?

Good that i keep only pocket change there (if 1BTC is to be considered pocket change haha).
Activity: 50
Merit: 0
February 15, 2013, 09:26:03 AM
Edit: I did not see the thread about spending your own change before posting this. Sorry!

Thanks for the excellent work! I really enjoy using this client.

It would be nice however to be able to spend your own change. I'm using version 2.39_test right now on a galaxy nexus ( google phone ) with android version 4.1.1. I sent 50 BTC (testnet) in one transaction to my android wallet. I can only send 1 transaction per block right now because all of my bitcoins are blocked as change Smiley Of course, I can send multiple transactions to my android wallet so that not all coins are used as inputs of a new transaction.

I know this issue has been raised here, just adding my own experience. Otherwise, great job!

Cheers,
January 12, 2013, 04:31:51 PM
Today I pushed version 2.39 to Google Play and to the downloads page. It does a much better job at describing transaction confidence states, and it is also based on the recently released bitcoinj 0.6.1.

I recommend to update as soon as you can.
Pages:
Jump to: