Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Wallet for Android - page 22. (Read 121199 times)

legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007
1davout
June 15, 2012, 07:49:49 AM
Have fun burning battery while you're downloading the satoshi dice history
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129
June 15, 2012, 07:48:23 AM
A smartphone that is switched off is pretty useless.

At any rate, chain sync can be made much faster still, and design work for that has begun. I don't know if somebody will implement it, but Jeff sketched out a protocol upgrade that would allow for much faster syncs to mobile clients and for pending transactions sent to you to appear right away. I don't think it'll be an issue anytime soon.
legendary
Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015
e-ducat.fr
June 15, 2012, 07:45:31 AM
It never takes me more than a few minutes to download two weeks of blockchain over the wifi.  A little longer over the air.  Samsung Galaxy 4S with all the latest firmware, etc.

That's fast.
Anyway, those "few minutes" are the raison d'être for Paytunia (or other mobile e-wallet thin clients) on Android:
when it's time to pay, the last thing people want is having to worry about a few minutes wait.
With paytunia, payment is done in a matter of seconds.

Actually, you can have the wallet set to sync any time its on the charger, which means you never wait AND you don't have to trust some third party to provide for your thin client.

You DO wait when you simply turn off your device (to save battery time), turn it on again later then try to make a payment.

My point is about the usability of a mobile client.
Trust is a different matter. If you do not trust anyone but yourself, well you have to trust that you will back up your keys or not lose your smartphone. You also have to trust that the wallet code itself is not malicious: unless they are programmers, people have no way of checking even an open sourced code. They have to trust someone to review the code.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019
June 14, 2012, 12:29:52 PM
rumors are this client reduces/compresses the blockchain to a really small size. How large is the block chain and general footprint currently?

how is it done?
Activity: 426
Merit: 250
June 08, 2012, 06:18:48 AM
This apps works great and is really fast on my 800mhz single core samsung s5690. Absolutely loving it!

Where does the app stores the wallet?
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129
May 24, 2012, 05:36:18 PM
The download speed can be affected by many things, such as which peers you end up connected to. Over time the reliability and speed will both improve. It's not due to lack of ideas, just lack of time.
vip
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.
May 24, 2012, 12:01:08 PM
It never takes me more than a few minutes to download two weeks of blockchain over the wifi.  A little longer over the air.  Samsung Galaxy 4S with all the latest firmware, etc.

That's fast.
Anyway, those "few minutes" are the raison d'être for Paytunia (or other mobile e-wallet thin clients) on Android:
when it's time to pay, the last thing people want is having to worry about a few minutes wait.

Actually, you can have the wallet set to sync any time its on the charger, which means you never wait AND you don't have to trust some third party to provide for your thin client.
legendary
Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015
e-ducat.fr
May 24, 2012, 11:03:21 AM

That's fast.
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056
Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com
May 24, 2012, 06:34:37 AM
I can't say that I've ever has such a good experience with it.  I found that it takes many times longer than my Imac wallet.  Perhaps it's a difference in hardware, since my android is several years old now and only has a 800mhz single core.  I've also had it stall for hours on end, and even crash the entire phone resulting in a reboot.  Which all contributed to my decision to move to BitcoinSpinner, which works flawlessly on my phone, so long as I have a 3G connection.
It's probably that the hardware requirements of this wallet are really high. And I mean REALLY high. I have a 800mhz single core that is OC'd to 1ghz and I can play Death Rally smooth as silk and it's a fairly heavy and good looking game. Yet it seems that this is not enough for a Bitcoin wallet.

I'm just giving up, I imported the private key to another wallet and I'm now switching to BitcoinSpinner entirely.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007
May 23, 2012, 11:56:50 PM
I use this wallet a lot.  Sometimes I will go a couple week and then turn it on to get back up to date.  It never takes me more than a few minutes to download two weeks of blockchain over the wifi.  A little longer over the air.  Samsung Galaxy 4S with all the latest firmware, etc.

I can't say that I've ever has such a good experience with it.  I found that it takes many times longer than my Imac wallet.  Perhaps it's a difference in hardware, since my android is several years old now and only has a 800mhz single core.  I've also had it stall for hours on end, and even crash the entire phone resulting in a reboot.  Which all contributed to my decision to move to BitcoinSpinner, which works flawlessly on my phone, so long as I have a 3G connection.
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1137
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
May 23, 2012, 11:44:38 PM
I use this wallet a lot.  Sometimes I will go a couple week and then turn it on to get back up to date.  It never takes me more than a few minutes to download two weeks of blockchain over the wifi.  A little longer over the air.  Samsung Galaxy 4S with all the latest firmware, etc.
vip
May 23, 2012, 08:32:28 PM
On wifi and a halfway new phone, it takes about an hour.
Seriously? Smiley It has never worked that fast for me. It doesn't matter if I use wifi or 3G, it takes a long time. I've been running it now for over 24 hours and it's still 39 weeks away. It just downloads for a little while and then stalls. And stalls. And stalls. Then downloads for a little while. And stalls. And so on. It has always been like this but recently it has been much worse than before.

Meanwhile there are no problems with the connection in my phone or the phone itself, everything else works perfectly. It's a Huawei U8800 (Ideos X5) and my wifi is very high speed (100 mbps) and the 3G is 10 mbps so that is not the problem.

I'm on the Evo 3D.  Its weird you have such a directly opposite experience from me.  I'm going to reset my blockchain now and resync and time it.
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
May 23, 2012, 04:57:34 PM
It just downloads for a little while and then stalls. It has always been like this but recently it has been much worse.
Same here, that's why I've given up on it.
legendary
May 23, 2012, 04:55:17 PM
Seriously? Smiley It has never worked that fast for me. It doesn't matter if I use wifi or 3G, it takes a long time. I've been running it now for over 24 hours and it's still 39 weeks away. It just downloads for a little while and then stalls. And stalls. And stalls. Then downloads for a little while. And stalls. And so on. It has always been like this but recently it has been much worse than before.

Meanwhile there are no problems with the connection in my phone or the phone itself, everything else works perfectly. It's a Huawei U8800 (Ideos X5) and my wifi is very high speed (100 mbps) and the 3G is 10 mbps so that is not the problem.
donator
Activity: 490
May 23, 2012, 04:16:13 PM
I find it to be quite a bit quicker on my Verizon 4g LTE connection than over wifi.
vip
May 23, 2012, 04:06:35 PM
I use the newest version. I've actually got some coins stuck there right now because it refused to send them. I did the reset and I am now downloading the blocks again. It will probably take a week to get it up to speed...

legendary
May 23, 2012, 03:59:48 PM
I use the newest version. I've actually got some coins stuck there right now because it refused to send them. I did the reset and I am now downloading the blocks again. It will probably take a week to get it up to speed...
vip
May 23, 2012, 10:04:06 AM
This wallet still works great for me.  I met a guy at a coffee shop tonight and bought a pile of coins off him receiving them with this wallet.  No problems whatsoever.

Me too.  I've got thousands of transactions on mine and it runs better now than ever before.  Earlier versions choked on the number of transactions (so much so that I refused to upgrade), but the later ones have been much better.
donator
Activity: 490
May 23, 2012, 03:11:41 AM
This wallet still works great for me.  I met a guy at a coffee shop tonight and bought a pile of coins off him receiving them with this wallet.  No problems whatsoever.
vip
May 22, 2012, 10:17:36 PM
Have you tried resetting the blockchain?
Pages:
Jump to: