Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Wallet for Android - page 17. (Read 121199 times)

Activity: 711
Merit: 500
Fight fire with photos.
October 29, 2012, 12:54:13 PM
I'm not sure if this has been addressed, but I think I accidentally sent bitcoins to an old address I had with this app. I have the prodnet.wallet fileand I was wondering how I can import the keys now that it uses a different wallet file.
Activity: 426
Merit: 250
October 29, 2012, 07:09:39 AM
What are the timestamps in the keys-file? Are they necessary?
Made up some timeformat and imported my vanitygen key \o/.

For personal uses I now totally switched to the android wallet Smiley

Maybe a nice feature would be to be able to import private keys trough qr-codes Smiley
Activity: 426
Merit: 250
October 28, 2012, 03:26:10 PM
What are the timestamps in the keys-file? Are they necessary?
legendary
Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531
yes
October 27, 2012, 04:59:02 PM
For those that need guidance, I wrote a piece on retrieving BTC: http://wekkelos.blogspot.nl/2012/10/save-bitcoins-from-android-bitcoin.html
Activity: 437
Merit: 415
1ninja
October 26, 2012, 11:14:58 PM
I just released 2.31 final to market. So key import/export is now available to everyone. Well mostly everyone. I had to raise the minimum requirement to Froyo (Android 2.2) and above.

Thank you!!!!!
I've been patiently waiting :-)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100
October 24, 2012, 03:04:30 AM
Is there a way to import your own private key?
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129
October 23, 2012, 09:03:18 AM
It's a process size limit:

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/android-developers/2tW-jKJsHFE/discussion

so there's no native-code get out of jail free card.

As I said, we already know the solution.
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011
Reverse engineer from time to time
October 22, 2012, 07:49:46 PM
In the first post it is mentioned that the Android heap limit is 4MB, on other devices it is 16 and 24 respectively. However, this heap limit applies to Dalvik, and not for Native code, so that's a solution, unless the author has already found a solution.
Activity: 956
Merit: 1001
October 21, 2012, 11:31:30 PM
I just released 2.31 final to market. So key import/export is now available to everyone. Well mostly everyone. I had to raise the minimum requirement to Froyo (Android 2.2) and above.

Andreas, thanks for the updates!
Activity: 56
Merit: 1
October 21, 2012, 08:41:30 PM
Well, the problem is really that we haven't finished (or even started) deploying bloom filters. It means the RAM requirements are going up over time as Bitcoin usage scales.

There's no theoretical reason Bitcoin can't run well on your phone. But as Andreas said, we haven't finished all the programming for that yet.

It already runs well on mobile devices through web-based thin clients. It may not be your ideal security scheme nor be a node like you like, but it works just fine for the end user. And they will move on without your suggestions.

No, Bitcoin will not die because everyone and their grandma is not running a node. Mining nodes can become numerous enough.
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129
October 21, 2012, 06:04:02 PM
Well, the problem is really that we haven't finished (or even started) deploying bloom filters. It means the RAM requirements are going up over time as Bitcoin usage scales.

There's no theoretical reason Bitcoin can't run well on your phone. But as Andreas said, we haven't finished all the programming for that yet.
legendary
yes
October 21, 2012, 05:30:57 PM
Your device only assigns very little memory (32 MB) to each app. Thus, you are experiencing lots of out of memory errors. Try uninstalling all apps you don't really need.
[...] so your best bet is upgrading to a decent phone like the Galaxy Nexus.

Good to know that the problem is my aging device (HTC Desire HD)  Tongue
Activity: 483
Merit: 501
October 21, 2012, 04:54:48 PM
October 21, 2012, 04:14:12 PM
Well, the problem is that I use Windows (XP). Exporting the key to SD Card is no problem. The program also asks for a password to encrypt the private key thus exported. The point is: what should I do when I copy this encrypted private key to my Windows machine? I don't think that a bash with openssl commands will be at my disposal in windows.

There is OpenSSL for Windows. However, I can't help you with that since I use Windows only for gaming.

You can try importing the file into Multibit, it's also available for Windows.

Background: as with 2.23, I am having some trouble with 2.3 to get a fully updated blockchain in the Android app. Updating the chain is flacky (also after full reset of blockchain). It took me all day today to get it updated by restarting the app and numerous FC's. Now that it is updated, not all transactions are shown (compared to blockchain.info).

Don't worry, your e-mail inbox is probably full with my crash reports  Cool

Your device only assigns very little memory (32 MB) to each app. Thus, you are experiencing lots of out of memory errors. Try uninstalling all apps you don't really need.

It is still the most gorgeous UI I have seen for an Android app so I hope the wrinkles will be ironed out in the future.

The plan is that memory requirement will be lowered considerably by receiving only transactions that are relevant to your wallet. However, this is still some time in the future (needs enhancements of protocol and upgrades of Satoshi clients), so your best bet is upgrading to a decent phone like the Galaxy Nexus.
legendary
yes
October 21, 2012, 03:41:50 PM
Is there a guide on how to work with imported/exported keys?

I added a little bit of info to the README (see FILES section).

The main use case is backups, which should not need much explanation.

Well, the problem is that I use Windows (XP). Exporting the key to SD Card is no problem. The program also asks for a password to encrypt the private key thus exported. The point is: what should I do when I copy this encrypted private key to my Windows machine? I don't think that a bash with openssl commands will be at my disposal in windows.

Background: as with 2.23, I am having some trouble with 2.3 to get a fully updated blockchain in the Android app. Updating the chain is flacky (also after full reset of blockchain). It took me all day today to get it updated by restarting the app and numerous FC's. Now that it is updated, not all transactions are shown (compared to blockchain.info).

Don't worry, your e-mail inbox is probably full with my crash reports  Cool

Anyway,  I want to know how I can access the funds in the wallet by other means if necessary.

It is still the most gorgeous UI I have seen for an Android app so I hope the wrinkles will be ironed out in the future.
October 21, 2012, 10:13:47 AM
For instance, what can I do with an exported key, how does the password relate to that (the private key is encrypted when exporting it from the Bitcoin Wallet app, etc). Will be useful for n00bs like me  Grin

I added a little bit of info to the README (see FILES section).

The main use case is backups, which should not need much explanation. On devices with SD card, export to your SD card directly or if external storage is in fact internal, pull your backup via USB cable. Importing is the other way round (-:

For many people, the usecase will be a wallet shared between two devices. However, I advise against such a setup (due to the risk of creating invalid transactions). For this reason, I have not documented it.
legendary
yes
October 21, 2012, 08:10:07 AM
Wonderful!

Version 2.3 RC implements import and export of private keys to external storage. Would you help testing?

http://code.google.com/p/bitcoin-wallet/downloads/list

http://code.google.com/p/bitcoin-wallet/issues/detail?id=10

For instance, what can I do with an exported key, how does the password relate to that (the private key is encrypted when exporting it from the Bitcoin Wallet app, etc). Will be useful for n00bs like me  Grin
Activity: 675
Merit: 502
October 12, 2012, 10:43:27 AM
Wonderful!

Version 2.3 RC implements import and export of private keys to external storage. Would you help testing?

http://code.google.com/p/bitcoin-wallet/downloads/list

http://code.google.com/p/bitcoin-wallet/issues/detail?id=10
donator
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
October 07, 2012, 04:40:50 PM
Thanks for the continued work, I like the improvement.
October 07, 2012, 08:57:34 AM
Bitcoin Wallet 2.23 fixes bugs and is based on bitcoinj 0.6.

The main user-facing feature is pictured in the image. You can watch pending transactions propagate through the network. As peers report the transaction, a grey circle grows. Finally, it is replaced by the well-known green block chain confirmation indication.

For the sender, this helps determining if a transaction was actually sent.

For the receiver, confidence in the validity of the transaction builds, as each peer should validate each transaction. However, this is just an indication. Nothing beats the validation power of the block chain.

Install/Upgrade Bitcoin Wallet from Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.schildbach.wallet

Pages:
Jump to: