Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Wallet for Android - page 18. (Read 121199 times)

donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
October 06, 2012, 12:19:39 PM
Yes, we know. I'll fix that soon.

Oh, allright. Didn't know it was a known issue, just getting into this part of the bitcoin world Wink. Thanks for your great work, btw!
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129
October 06, 2012, 09:41:20 AM
Yes, we know. I'll fix that soon.
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
October 05, 2012, 05:32:21 PM
Further information on the same problem I was having.

I have .08 bitcoins in my "Bitcoin Wallet" wallet. They have been there for over a week.

I sent .02 BTC to Satoshi Dice. I lost. Okay. Now I have .06 BTC in my wallet. I try to send another .02 BTC to SatoshiDice. And it tells me I have .06 BTC waiting for confirmation.

Looking at my wallet address on blockchain.info it says that from my wallet, .02 was sent to SatoshiDice and .06 was sent to my same wallet address I was sending from.

So I conclude that Bitcoin Wallet is waiting on confirmations for Bitcoins that were sent from my wallet back to the same wallet.

That isn't supposed to be how it works, is it? If I spend part of my Bitcoins I shouldn't have to wait to spend the remainder of them.

Actually let me second that question. I came to the same a similar conclusion when I tried Bitcoin Wallet recently with a friend.
Activity: 675
Merit: 502
September 20, 2012, 02:33:24 PM
Further information on the same problem I was having.

I have .08 bitcoins in my "Bitcoin Wallet" wallet. They have been there for over a week.

I sent .02 BTC to Satoshi Dice. I lost. Okay. Now I have .06 BTC in my wallet. I try to send another .02 BTC to SatoshiDice. And it tells me I have .06 BTC waiting for confirmation.

Looking at my wallet address on blockchain.info it says that from my wallet, .02 was sent to SatoshiDice and .06 was sent to my same wallet address I was sending from.

So I conclude that Bitcoin Wallet is waiting on confirmations for Bitcoins that were sent from my wallet back to the same wallet.

That isn't supposed to be how it works, is it? If I spend part of my Bitcoins I shouldn't have to wait to spend the remainder of them.
vip
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.
September 13, 2012, 06:17:15 PM
This is exciting! Do you have to download the satoshi client or can you use an e-wallet for the app?

The app IS the wallet.  It functions similarly to the satoshi client, but all on your phone or other android device.
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
September 13, 2012, 05:40:33 PM
This is exciting! Do you have to download the satoshi client or can you use an e-wallet for the app?
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129
September 13, 2012, 01:24:57 PM
Hm, I've sold people Bitcoins in person many times without that issue.

What is the transaction ID of the tx that took 100 confirmations to become spendable? The currently released version of Bitcoin Wallet doesn't understand coinbase transactions anyway (this is coming in the next version about to be released), so it feels to me more like a co-incidence of some kind and there was maybe some other issue.

Issue 13 is something different, related to change outputs.
vip
September 13, 2012, 11:10:56 AM
My understanding is that 'coinbase' transactions involve newly mined Bitcoins? If so, that was not the case in my issue - the coins had been on my laptop wallet for months. But perhaps this is related to my problem. Maybe Bitcoin Wallet thinks they are coinbase transactions when they are not? I think having the same 100-confirmation point would be too much of a coincidence.

I saw something on the dev list a week or two ago about how they were migrating some stuff to a different format and storing more info about confidence levels or some such.  Did you recently do a software update (or perhaps it did it automatically) of bitcoin wallet?
September 13, 2012, 10:12:16 AM
Note that coinbase transactions require 100 confirmations before you can spend them.
(In bitcoind you have to wait 120 confirmations for coinbase transactions.)

If the BTC you are spending has just been mined you have to wait longer before you can spend them. This is a restriction of the bitcoin network.
(The reason for this is coinbases do not survive reorgs).

My understanding is that 'coinbase' transactions involve newly mined Bitcoins? If so, that was not the case in my issue - the coins had been on my laptop wallet for months. But perhaps this is related to my problem. Maybe Bitcoin Wallet thinks they are coinbase transactions when they are not? I think having the same 100-confirmation point would be too much of a coincidence.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066
September 12, 2012, 05:50:18 PM
Note that coinbase transactions require 100 confirmations before you can spend them.
(In bitcoind you have to wait 120 confirmations for coinbase transactions.)

If the BTC you are spending has just been mined you have to wait longer before you can spend them. This is a restriction of the bitcoin network.
(The reason for this is coinbases do not survive reorgs).

September 12, 2012, 02:51:54 PM
I noticed now that it allows me to spend these bitcoins, right when they have passed 100 confirmations. Are 100 confirmations really necessary? That seems way too high - 5 or 6 are OK for the main client, why would 100 be required for Android Bitcoin Wallet?

it appears that this issue is on the bug tracker number 13: http://code.google.com/p/bitcoin-wallet/issues/list?can=2&q=&sort=priority&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Priority%20Milestone%20Owner%20Summary
September 12, 2012, 02:25:31 PM
I realize that Transaction Details are experimental, but here's an interesting thing about that: As I said, I sent 20 BTC to my Bitcoin Wallet address last night. I see this transaction on Bitcoin Wallet under "Received". I also see it on blockchain.info

But when I try to view Transaction Details for this transaction on Bitcoin Wallet, it shows a "Receiver" address which is NOT my Android Bitcoin Wallet address.

When I sent my Bitcoins from my laptop address L to my Wallet address W, it sent the remainder of L to address R.

When I look at the Transaction Details, it shows "Receiver" as address R. It should be showing address W.
September 12, 2012, 02:11:38 PM

How can it still be waiting for confirmation on that much Bitcoin when the 20 and 10 BTC transactions in last night have 90+ confirmations?

Because Bitcoin Wallet for Android keeps the blockchain local to the phone, and needs to catch up to the rest of the network on it's own.  This is the primary reason that I've switched to BitcoinSpinner, which uses a divided wallet method & keeps the blockchain on the BitconSpinner server instead.

But my Bitcoin Wallet is completely synchronized - so it should be seeing all 90+ confirmations on the bitcoins in my wallet.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007
September 12, 2012, 01:48:45 PM

How can it still be waiting for confirmation on that much Bitcoin when the 20 and 10 BTC transactions in last night have 90+ confirmations?

Because Bitcoin Wallet for Android keeps the blockchain local to the phone, and needs to catch up to the rest of the network on it's own.  This is the primary reason that I've switched to BitcoinSpinner, which uses a divided wallet method & keeps the blockchain on the BitconSpinner server instead.
September 12, 2012, 01:38:30 PM
I just tried to sell someone Bitcoin in person and Bitcoin Wallet didn't work for me.

When I open the program on my Droid 4, it say BTC 32.4something

I sent my Bitcoin Wallet 20 and 10 BTC last night. These two transactions have 94 and 99 confirmations according to blockchain.info.

But when I just tried to give 32 BTC to the person I was selling to, I write in under "Amount to Pay: 32" and an error message popped up that said (and still says) "Available for spending BTC2.83 (BTC 29.6489 waiting for confirmation)"

The two transactions into my wallet last night also have full green circles on the program, which I thought indicated that they were fully confirmed.

Please help!

edit: I noticed now that it allows me to spend these bitcoins, right when they have passed 100 confirmations. Are 100 confirmations really necessary? That seems way too high - 5 or 6 are OK for the main client, why would 100 be required for Android Bitcoin Wallet?
Activity: 483
Merit: 501
September 02, 2012, 03:14:27 AM
I have the android wallet and I must say that I'm not very happy with it's performance. It works well, but when it starts to download the blocks, my whole device freezes up and I am unable to do anything for quite a while. I have an app watcher and it tells me the app will take 80-90% of a processor power for a while. I have a Samsung Galaxy S2...

Is your device mostly caught up with blocks or is it coming off a fresh start that its downloading the whole chain?

it is mostly caught up, but downloading even half a day worth of blocks freezes the device for a minute. It's not always, but sometimes it gets very slow, or totally frozen

Can you take this issue to the bug tracker?

http://code.google.com/p/bitcoin-wallet/issues/list

Activity: 752
bitcoin hodler
September 01, 2012, 04:44:22 AM
I have the android wallet and I must say that I'm not very happy with it's performance. It works well, but when it starts to download the blocks, my whole device freezes up and I am unable to do anything for quite a while. I have an app watcher and it tells me the app will take 80-90% of a processor power for a while. I have a Samsung Galaxy S2...

Is your device mostly caught up with blocks or is it coming off a fresh start that its downloading the whole chain?

it is mostly caught up, but downloading even half a day worth of blocks freezes the device for a minute. It's not always, but sometimes it gets very slow, or totally frozen
vip
August 31, 2012, 12:35:22 PM

Activity: 752
bitcoin hodler
August 31, 2012, 12:13:53 PM
Activity: 437
Merit: 415
1ninja
August 26, 2012, 11:15:05 PM
I love this Bitcoin Wallet app! It seriously needs a simple private key export. Import is not at all important.

Would it be possible to AES encrypt the keys based on a user inputted password then allow that file/text to be "shared" via the standard Android share options?
Pages:
Jump to: