Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Wallet Recovery Services - for forgotten wallet password - page 15. (Read 63791 times)

donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
Actually it doesn't demand trust at all.

Either you pay per work or you pay per job.
  • If you pay per work you need a mechanism to gauge how much work was done even if there are no resulting passwords brute-forced. I could only think of an auditable system building trust.
  • If you pay per job, he needs to trust you that the password is not impossible to brute-force or else you can get him to waste computing power for nothing.

ok, true. I was still narrowly focussing on the "money stealing" aspect.

the service is bro-bono anyway, right? I guess someone regaining access to his funds will be grateful enough to donate generously.
WiW
Activity: 277
Merit: 250
"The public is stupid, hence the public will pay"

Either you pay per work or you pay per job.
  • If you pay per work you need a mechanism to gauge how much work was done even if there are no resulting passwords brute-forced. I could only think of an auditable system building trust.
  • If you pay per job, he needs to trust you that the password is not impossible to brute-force or else you can get him to waste computing power for nothing.
donator
Just a few months ago when I thought I forgot the password to 300 mili, I thought of a service exactly like this along with pricing models. In fact, I thought that this kind of service would demand trust and reputation. Kind of like John of these forums does for escrow.

Awesome to see an actual service for this stuff available.

donator
Of course walletrecoveryservices could be a sock of molecular  Tongue

That's true.

It's pretty easy to become confident the info doesn't allow stealing of the money when one takes a look and thinks for a bit. Even just looking at my post above and thinking about how one would go about stealing the money should suffice.

It might be more effective to show people 1 BTC that doesn't move instead of asking them to go through some process and think.
WiW
Activity: 277
"The public is stupid, hence the public will pay"
Just a few months ago when I thought I forgot the password to 300 mili, I thought of a service exactly like this along with pricing models. In fact, I thought that this kind of service would demand trust and reputation. Kind of like John of these forums does for escrow.

Awesome to see an actual service for this stuff available.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Of course walletrecoveryservices could be a sock of molecular  Tongue

But what am I saying, given molecular's level of trust that would be a good thing, nay?

Time to brush up on my hacking skills, only a week to get that coin. But only a 1 in a gazillion chances of success!
...  Cheesy cos otherwise bitcoin is toast  Grin
donator
Scammer Fails So Hard

Ok, let's harden the assumption he can't scam us.

I accept your challenge, Molecular.!!!
I have transferred 1.00 BTC to that address, 19xTYJg3i1YuoHtYqtNhXcer65K9wZ1n4b
You have published the details of that wallet above, so everyone reading this now knows the same details as the walletrecoveryservices.com website is asking for when it tries to decode a wallet.
There is 1.00 BTC in that wallet.
I can't steal it, and I do not believe that anyone else can either. Prove me wrong, skeptics!
If you think that the concept behind the wallet password recovery service is flawed, here is your chance to prove it, and earn some cash.

Here is the record of the 1.00BTC transaction: https://blockchain.info/address/19xTYJg3i1YuoHtYqtNhXcer65K9wZ1n4b

I'm trusting Molecular to return my 1 BTC at the end of this exercise... sometimes you have to show some trust to earn some trust... Smiley

Cool.

Money has arrived:

Activity: 89
Merit: 21
Scammer Fails So Hard

I accept your challenge, Molecular.!!!
I have transferred 1.00 BTC to that address, 19xTYJg3i1YuoHtYqtNhXcer65K9wZ1n4b
You have published the details of that wallet above, so everyone reading this now knows the same details as the walletrecoveryservices.com website is asking for when it tries to decode a wallet.
There is 1.00 BTC in that wallet.
I can't steal it, and I do not believe that anyone else can either. Prove me wrong, skeptics!
If you think that the concept behind the wallet password recovery service is flawed, here is your chance to prove it, and earn some cash.

Here is the record of the 1.00BTC transaction: https://blockchain.info/address/19xTYJg3i1YuoHtYqtNhXcer65K9wZ1n4b

I'm trusting Molecular to return my 1 BTC at the end of this exercise... sometimes you have to show some trust to earn some trust... Smiley
donator
Scammer Fails So Hard

I made a fresh wallet and encrypted it with password "s3cr3t"

I prepared the wallet dump I would send to the service for recovery following the instructions:

Code:
{
    "bestblock": "0000000000000027d106ec4bc7ac89c72c9fa91590f53027c7d4c3ec5ab084fe",
    "defaultkey": "19xTYJg3i1YuoHtYqtNhXcer65K9wZ1n4b",
    "keys": [
        {
            "addr": "1ErroNQ8CAM85Ryw9Dn1Ye9GLX3qoLHZrd",
            "ckey": "73f64a4c34cc90b3a60feecae953b94b34c1358fcfe8b82ebd0256acd993ca84e763d0137ad18ce2213072c91e02260a",
            "pubkey": "03c49569aaffb9208507b96b150432cd95bbacfade16867430803d0c47f9219353",
            "reserve": 1
        },
        {
            "addr": "17J3e6ibabHLr1RxZDXcbs6dFaY9v8aDZe",
            "ckey": "3fea2dedcdbd7b7e74e51012b00b968ea43a42ae4d5e404048f50a34fc731ee50e6d3eeef981ca3250c2cab299a84b87",
            "pubkey": "03ca391703beda1af19a5a6190aa2041d4f185e6596e1b97ae58d453177a250f67",
            "reserve": 1
        }
    ],
    "minversion": 60000,
    "mkey": {
        "crypted_key": "6057c6954b2d264f4cb7ef43155bce87663b903b1525d1f760d1974ef997f908ebe8c57e982784367ddd226598629390",
        "nDerivationMethod": 0,
        "nDeriveIterations": 191354,
        "nID": 1,
        "salt": "a20c57149389df16",
        "vchOtherDerivationParameters": ""
    },
    "settings": {
        "addrIncoming": "0.0.0.0:0"
    },
    "version": 80202
}

I dare walletrecoveryservices to transfer some money to that address: 19xTYJg3i1YuoHtYqtNhXcer65K9wZ1n4b, which is part of the wallet (but not the dump, obviously). I realise he has to trust me with the money, so I could understand if he doesn't do it.

If his method was flawed, anyone could take that money.

If noone takes the money after a week, I will send it back to walletrecoveryservices and we can be pretty sure his method doesn't enable him him to steal customer money.

Activity: 826
Merit: 500
Crypto Somnium
Hello i need your very services

I will provide positive feedback if you are successful on breaking my wallet

Yes, absolutely. And I haven't taken offense at the aspersions cast on my service (or my character Smiley ).

As you said earlier: Trust takes time.

I myself would be skeptical of similar services. It is, in fact, really fortunate (was it planned?) that the structure of the encrypted bitcoin wallet is such that it allows for the 'remote' brute force decryption of the password by a third party without needing to trust that third party with all the bitcoin addresses in the wallet.

How did you become aware of this possibility? I wouldn't even have thought of that.
The fact (of the reduced trust required for a third party for password recovery) was raised in this forum previously. I can't claim credit for the original idea, although I have developed it.
Activity: 686
Merit: 504
always the student, never the master.
Scammer Fails So Hard
donator
Yes, absolutely. And I haven't taken offense at the aspersions cast on my service (or my character Smiley ).

As you said earlier: Trust takes time.

I myself would be skeptical of similar services. It is, in fact, really fortunate (was it planned?) that the structure of the encrypted bitcoin wallet is such that it allows for the 'remote' brute force decryption of the password by a third party without needing to trust that third party with all the bitcoin addresses in the wallet.

How did you become aware of this possibility? I wouldn't even have thought of that.
Thankyou, Molecular.
You restore my faith in the bitcoin community. Grin

:-). Awesome.

I can sort-of understand it though. Bitcoin can look quite a scammer ridden wild-west style place at times and a quick skim over your post certainly rings the scammer bell if you don't look any further.

It's interesting. On the one side you have all the scammers and con-artists, on the other hand I have met and dealt with a lot of honest, trustworthy and generous people in this community. Many of them I trust more than my local grocery merchant to not try to rip me off, even though they are a lot harder to get any kind of hold on in case of a problem.

I guess it's just a reflection of the "real world" after all, maybe a bit more extreme on both sides.
Yes, absolutely. And I haven't taken offense at the aspersions cast on my service (or my character Smiley ). I myself would be skeptical of similar services. It is, in fact, really fortunate (was it planned?) that the structure of the encrypted bitcoin wallet is such that it allows for the 'remote' brute force decryption of the password by a third party without needing to trust that third party with all the bitcoin addresses in the wallet.
Regards,
Dave
donator
Thankyou, Molecular.

:-). Awesome.

I can sort-of understand it though. Bitcoin can look quite a scammer ridden wild-west style place at times and a quick skim over your post certainly rings the scammer bell if you don't look any further.

It's interesting. On the one side you have all the scammers and con-artists, on the other hand I have met and dealt with a lot of honest, trustworthy and generous people in this community. Many of them I trust more than my local grocery merchant to not try to rip me off, even though they are a lot harder to get any kind of hold on in case of a problem.

I guess it's just a reflection of the "real world" after all, maybe a bit more extreme on both sides.
Pretty cool idea. Thanks for offering a great service to the community.

Of course as casascius pointed out, someone sending you the extracted wallet bits necessary for cracking would have to make sure no info enabling access to funds is leaked.

After a while and some users have regained access to their funds, trust will build.

Instead of yelling "scam" all over this thread as a kind-of knee-jerk reaction, people should try to find possible flaws in the method instead (after they have actually looked at how this works).

Lazy scam-accusers are lazy.

Thankyou, Molecular.
donator
SCAM

in other words: you fucking idiots didn't even care enough to look at the linked page:

Trust
Should you trust us with your wallet? Why won't we just steal your money? Good questions. If you send us your wallet, and we decrypt the password, then it would be possible for us steal the money that the wallet holds. (we won't, but you can't be sure of that). Fortunately, the design of the bitcoin wallet is such that you can send us just part of the wallet information. The part you send us allows us to decrypt the wallet, without giving us any opportunity to steal your money. See various detailed explanations on the bitcoin wallet design (google them). Refer to this page for more detailed information.

read this: http://www.walletrecoveryservices.com/information.html, understand it and then come back and yell "scam" again.
donator
Pretty cool idea. Thanks for offering a great service to the community.

Of course as casascius pointed out, someone sending you the extracted wallet bits necessary for cracking would have to make sure no info enabling access to funds is leaked.

After a while and some users have regained access to their funds, trust will build.

Instead of yelling "scam" all over this thread as a kind-of knee-jerk reaction, people should try to find possible flaws in the method instead (after they have actually looked at how this works).

Lazy scam-accusers are lazy.
Hi
I have put together a service to help you recover your wallet password (for your encrypted bitcoin wallet) if you have forgotten it.
Refer to walletrecoveryservices.com
I hope this will be useful to someone.

(and before you ask, no, this isn't a scam to steal your bitcoins! Smiley)
Cheers
Dave

SCAM
Hi.
Read up above further in this thread. See the instructions on the website. If you spend a few minutes, and have some technical understanding of the bitcoin wallet format, like Casascius, you may be able to understand how this isn't a scam, and is in fact a useful service.
Cheers,
Dave
Activity: 434
Hi
I have put together a service to help you recover your wallet password (for your encrypted bitcoin wallet) if you have forgotten it.
Refer to walletrecoveryservices.com
I hope this will be useful to someone.

(and before you ask, no, this isn't a scam to steal your bitcoins! Smiley)
Cheers
Dave

SCAM
Pages:
Jump to: