Pages:
Author

Topic: bitfloor issues? - page 8. (Read 55496 times)

Activity: 270
Merit: 250
July 23, 2013, 12:42:07 PM
Found this on Wikipedia
California Senate Bill 420 (colloquially known as the Medical Marijuana Program Act
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1011
Be A Digital Miner
July 23, 2013, 12:30:00 PM
Never heard of it in California.  Granted, I probably have a "sheltered" group of friends and I have never smoked anything in my life. Wink

Yeah, I'm in Illinois and not familiar with the reference, but I've never really engaged in such an activity either.  I'm still not sure that I understand what 420 or 4:20 has to do with smoking pot. I suppose it would make more sense if such activities were commonplace among my circle of friends?  Seems odd.

It is from the late 60s or early 70s and started up in Marin County (you know where the rich people that work in san fran live (and where san quentin (sp?) is).    It was "code" that a bunch of stoners would meet up and smoke at 420.   so then it evolved.
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 4658
July 23, 2013, 11:41:57 AM
Never heard of it in California.  Granted, I probably have a "sheltered" group of friends and I have never smoked anything in my life. Wink

Yeah, I'm in Illinois and not familiar with the reference, but I've never really engaged in such an activity either.  I'm still not sure that I understand what 420 or 4:20 has to do with smoking pot. I suppose it would make more sense if such activities were commonplace among my circle of friends?  Seems odd.
Activity: 135
Merit: 100
July 23, 2013, 10:27:06 AM
Honestly, Im just really glad I could take all our minds off of Roman Shtylman for at least a couple posts  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
July 23, 2013, 10:24:06 AM
Though I am VERY familiar with the activity, I have never heard of the 420 reference.
Could just be something in your neck of the woods or a generational thing.
Enjoy Cool

Seriously? Do you live in the US? It blows my mind to think that people who grew up in this country would never have heard the whole 4:20 thing (it's actually a time of day/activity).. especially if you smoke.

I always assumed it would be known in european countries too though.

My neck of the woods spans almost the whole US to be honest. I've lived in Massachusettes, Texas, California, Maryland, Colorado and Florida.

So weird.. now I'm all paranoid haha

July 23, 2013, 10:12:57 AM
Just the Southeast for me.  Tennessee, Georgia, Florida.
Maybe it's generational.  Been around since the 50s.
July 23, 2013, 10:03:14 AM
Though I am VERY familiar with the activity, I have never heard of the 420 reference.
Enjoy Cool

Seriously? Do you live in the US? It blows my mind to think that people who grew up in this country would never have heard the whole 4:20 thing (it's actually a time of day/activity).. especially if you smoke.

I always assumed it would be known in european countries too though.

My neck of the woods spans almost the whole US to be honest. I've lived in Massachusettes, Texas, California, Maryland, Colorado and Florida.

So weird.. now I'm all paranoid haha
Activity: 882
Merit: 501
Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong
July 23, 2013, 10:02:27 AM
Why? Is there some sort of prize for reaching an activity level of 420?

I guess since everybody Ive ever met in my life relates the "420 Activity" to smoking pot, that I assumed I could reference it without the explanation... but yeah, there is the explanation for you since you seem to have never heard of it before. I found it funny since it's not just the number, but an activity. Sorry if I have offended anyone with more proper sensibilities.

Now if nobody minds, I'm going to finish packing this bowl so I can enjoy my own 420 activity and I promise to not feel the least bit bad about it Wink

Pass it this way please Smiley
July 23, 2013, 09:42:14 AM
Enjoy Cool
July 23, 2013, 09:35:56 AM

I guess since everybody Ive ever met in my life relates the "420 Activity" to smoking pot, that I assumed I could reference it without the explanation... but yeah, there is the explanation for you since you seem to have never heard of it before. I found it funny since it's not just the number, but an activity. Sorry if I have offended anyone with more proper sensibilities.

Now if nobody minds, I'm going to finish packing this bowl so I can enjoy my own 420 activity and I promise to not feel the least bit bad about it Wink
Activity: 882
Merit: 501
Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong
July 23, 2013, 09:20:04 AM
I just noticed under your name right now it says "Activity: 420" hahaha! take a picture!

Evidently not for some Sad
legendary
July 23, 2013, 09:18:32 AM
I just noticed under your name right now it says "Activity: 420" hahaha! take a picture!

July 23, 2013, 09:06:40 AM
Agreed.

I find it surprising that anyone over the age of 16 would hold to such one dimensional caricatures of a "type of person".  It's almost as if the only exposure you've ever had to other humans is the portrayals in TV sit-coms and low quality movies.  

Activity: 854
Merit: 500
July 23, 2013, 02:18:40 AM
Mini-update: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1iu0b9/bitfloor_slash_icu_miniupdate/

I'm among the Bitfloored, and am one of the larger-sum suckers involved.

I have an account set up with ICU, received my debit card, etc. My Bitfloor account is still pending, and like many of you I'm a combination of annoyed at the lack of information from Roman & Co in the meantime (jaykay there's no Co., just a dude with frightening customer service and a crazy boring twitter feed).

I broke down & emailed Jordan at ICU-

Me: any idea as to how long until bitfloor funds clear?

Jordan: That is a Roman question. Had to wait till most of you set up with us then just told him today.

So there you have it. The responsibility to give us all our money is back in Roman's court. May god have mercy on our souls.
legendary
July 22, 2013, 11:29:57 PM
I think you're both at opposing ends of a spectrum of sweeping generalization about both programmers and businessmen.

Agreed.

I find it surprising that anyone over the age of 16 would hold to such one dimensional caricatures of a "type of person".  It's almost as if the only exposure you've ever had to other humans is the portrayals in TV sit-coms and low quality movies. 
July 22, 2013, 09:14:22 PM
I would much rather have a site ran by a programmer than a businessman. Programers are usually open-minded, don't believe in greed, and contribute to FOSS projects. While businessmen only care about $$$ no matter what their customers think of them: See /r/entrepreneur, everyone wants to take advantage of any situation moral or not, and would make crapware that is crippling innovation because it leads to more income for them.

I would say that a businessman is incentivised by money and greed, and try to get it by the best means possible, which is to get you to give it to them in return for something (good code, good site, good service), while programmers only care about code, and don't really care about someone else's money or quality of service, since that doesn't interfere with their ability to code in any way. So you end up with well bade sites with excellent APIs, and almost complete lack of customer support, service, or care about customer money.

I think you're both at opposing ends of a spectrum of sweeping generalization about both programmers and businessmen. I think there are probably businessmen who are sincere and honest, and I think there are probably programmers who want nothing more than to be rich and will rip people off to do it. I don't really believe in pigeon holing either way.

Me, I'm a programmer ... that must mean that I ... [fill in the blank]
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
July 22, 2013, 04:51:43 PM
I would much rather have a site ran by a programmer than a businessman. Programers are usually open-minded, don't believe in greed, and contribute to FOSS projects. While businessmen only care about $$$ no matter what their customers think of them: See /r/entrepreneur, everyone wants to take advantage of any situation moral or not, and would make crapware that is crippling innovation because it leads to more income for them.

I would say that a businessman is incentivised by money and greed, and tries to get it by the best means possible, which is to get you to give it to them in return for something (good code, good site, good service), while programmers only care about code, and don't really care about someone else's money or quality of service, since that doesn't interfere with their ability to code in any way. So you end up with well made sites with excellent APIs, and almost complete lack of customer support, service, or care about customer money.
July 22, 2013, 03:53:14 PM
What's really scary is that the size of the staff at Bitfloor is about the same as the size of the staff at Blockchain.info Tongue

Do you know how many people are working for Roman?

The number of people working for Bitfloor is the same as the number of people working for Blockchain.info: One. Quite a contrast in service and quality though.

I'm guessing Blockchain.info can't really hire any more people because their only source of income are small things like advertising/fees/hacking

Nah. it's the same reason as with Roman: He wants to keep total control over all the programming details because he's a programmer first and foremost, and business/banker a far distant second.

However, it seems San Fransisco breeds a new kind of programmers.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
July 22, 2013, 02:26:07 PM
What's really scary is that the size of the staff at Bitfloor is about the same as the size of the staff at Blockchain.info Tongue

The number of people working for Bitfloor is the same as the number of people working for Blockchain.info: One. Quite a contrast in service and quality though.

I'm guessing Blockchain.info can't really hire any more people because their only source of income are small things like advertising/fees/hacking

Nah. it's the same reason as with Roman: He wants to keep total control over all the programming details because he's a programmer first and foremost, and business/banker a far distant second.
July 22, 2013, 02:00:45 PM

Pages:
Jump to: