Pages:
Author

Topic: bitfloor issues? - page 11. (Read 55496 times)

Activity: 270
Merit: 250
July 19, 2013, 10:19:36 AM
You really think Roman is trying to figure it out?!
Activity: 135
Merit: 100
July 19, 2013, 10:04:18 AM
Anyone get their money out of bitfloor yet?

I've set up a IAFCU account. Now what?

On the bitfloor website, there is nowhere to specify my account number. I get an error when requesting a withdrawal.

Nobody has gotten their money yet, the most recent notice on bitfloor.com explains when refunds should start being processed.

From what I've heard, people started getting that error you're referring to a few days ago.

My only guess is that those web pages are so highly advanced that it probably takes Roman a really long time to figure out why a form won't submit.
Activity: 317
July 19, 2013, 09:34:41 AM
Anyone get their money out of bitfloor yet?

I've set up a IAFCU account. Now what?

On the bitfloor website, there is nowhere to specify my account number. I get an error when requesting a withdrawal.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001
July 18, 2013, 05:10:47 PM
in other news

my IAFCU account is set up, the lady called. i now need to deposit the $15. today i received my debit card in the mail, however i haven't yet put any money in yet

actually, i have no idea what my PIN number for this debit card is

The pin number will be mailed two days after the card is mailed.  This is a standard security measure, so the same mail thief doesn't get both.
July 18, 2013, 04:30:42 PM
in other news

my IAFCU account is set up, the lady called. i now need to deposit the $15. today i received my debit card in the mail, however i haven't yet put any money in yet

I used their click-to-send method for depositing a check for $20 .. must be almost a week ago now.. but it has not showed up in my account yet. hasnt been cashed either. I have been figuring they might be swamped with all this so i havent contacted them yet to check on it.. i'll probably call them today to make sure they have it.. thanks for reminding me Smiley
Activity: 252
July 18, 2013, 04:12:58 PM
in other news

legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
July 18, 2013, 01:08:06 PM
I want to read the background on the BTC loss.  What are some links to those threads & announcements?

In particular, I wonder how many BTC were lost, and I wonder what discussions did occur about selling the debt between individuals.

I actually would too. It was last year when I did what little research I did before signing up at Bitfloor so the hard facts are difficult to remember for me.

There should be a wikipedia entry on it by now, no? haha
legendary
July 18, 2013, 12:58:30 PM
I want to read the background on the BTC loss.  What are some links to those threads & announcements?

In particular, I wonder how many BTC were lost, and I wonder what discussions did occur about selling the debt between individuals.
July 18, 2013, 12:52:06 PM
Do not be insulting, it shows who you are and the difficulty you are having using logic.   You are clear, your argument is fatuous.
So, in your case the rare baseball card collection that Roman was holding for all of us was NOT reported as stolen because "the police might not see the same value as we the owners did".  No police report usually indicates, there was NO crime (or the person that should have reported the crime is actually the culprit).   Contrast this with what happened to graeme and what actions he (an honest and responsible adult) took.
When something of value is maliciously stolen, people report it.   When people do not report, they either do not give a crap (because it held NO value to them as it was others' property and they have no conscience) or they are hiding something.

You seem adamant, for some reason, in suggesting that I disagree with you in your suspicion of Roman Shtylman's complicity in the August heist, which I promise you I don't. It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that he has all those btc in a wallet somewhere and, yes, i also agree that not filing .. or even attempting to file.. a police report is definitely some very fishy business. What I thought I made clear however was that in my statement, I am playing devil's (Roman's) advocate, which I also prefaced by saying I don't necessarily want to.. only then did I go on to say that technically he is protected by the fact that bitcoin has no intrinsic value and might as well not exist anyways. All true stuff.

But since you are so adversarial and unable to comprehend meaning in the written words of others when they so much as even approach an idea you disagree with, you totally fumble the ball when you respond. Just pick the ball up and keep running.

If you feel insulted, learn to read better.
legendary
July 18, 2013, 12:48:03 PM

I do not want to continually argue whether "something of value" was stolen and the police would take a report.    But using the logic above, you would not file a police report when your car is stolen either being cars are not legal tender.

I see you conveniently omitted from your quote of me the part where I differentiate between financial theft and property theft. My logic is sound, and just so you don't have to go back and re-read my last comment I will paraphrase for you.

What I said was that there was no FINANCIAL theft committed (no money stolen) because bitcoin are not money, not legal tender, not a FINANCIAL instrument at all in the eyes of US FINANCIAL law.

And then I said that even if it was reported as a PROPERTY theft (yes, like when your car is stolen) that it would be very difficult to assign a value anywhere close to what you and I as bitcoin users would assign to it.

Vehicles have well established values and means for deducing their value.. so a better comparison to bitcoin would be maybe.. a collectors item.. like a baseball card or a restaurant napkin signed by a famous actor.. something that doesn't really have value but is assigned value by certain people

I follow this train of thought.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1011
Be A Digital Miner
July 18, 2013, 12:28:58 PM

I do not want to continually argue whether "something of value" was stolen and the police would take a report.    But using the logic above, you would not file a police report when your car is stolen either being cars are not legal tender.

I see you conveniently omitted from your quote of me the part where I differentiate between financial theft and property theft. My logic is sound, and just so you don't have to go back and re-read my last comment I will paraphrase for you.

What I said was that there was no FINANCIAL theft committed (no money stolen) because bitcoin are not money, not legal tender, not a FINANCIAL instrument at all in the eyes of US FINANCIAL law.
And then I said that even if it was reported as a PROPERTY theft (yes, like when your car is stolen) that it would be very difficult to assign a value anywhere close to what you and I as bitcoin users would assign to it.
Vehicles have well established values and means for deducing their value.. so a better comparison to bitcoin would be maybe.. a collectors item.. like a baseball card or a restaurant napkin signed by a famous actor.. something that doesn't really have value but is assigned value by certain people
I thought I was clear, but reading comprehension varies from person to person so, there you have it.
Do not be insulting, it shows who you are and the difficulty you are having using logic.   You are clear, your argument is fatuous.
So, in your case the rare baseball card collection that Roman was holding for all of us was NOT reported as stolen because "the police might not see the same value as we the owners did".  No police report usually indicates, there was NO crime (or the person that should have reported the crime is actually the culprit).   Contrast this with what happened to graeme and what actions he (an honest and responsible adult) took.
When something of value is maliciously stolen, people report it.   When people do not report, they either do not give a crap (because it held NO value to them as it was others' property and they have no conscience) or they are hiding something.
July 18, 2013, 12:08:22 PM

I thought I was clear, but reading comprehension varies from person to person so, there you have it.
legendary
Activity: 879
Merit: 1000
monero
July 18, 2013, 12:04:40 PM
I like how the Bitcoin-24 situation as basically the exact same situation, except in Europe, to show you how it's supposed to be handled. When bitcoin-24 shut down the aftermath was very simple, Simon Hausdorf went to jail, Simon Hausdorf did not get out of jail until he paid back his clients money.

Now they have their money back and we don't, because this is in the US.

What happened with Bitcoin-24? Did Simon Hausdorf go to jail because a bank closed his account???

i'm pretty sure simon never went to jail, maybe infested999 confused that with the execution of a search warrant at the beginning of the investigation.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1011
Be A Digital Miner
July 18, 2013, 10:44:35 AM
Tell me who does not file a police report on a theft over $10,000 let alone what we are talking about here?
That is right, NO ONE.   Or someone who is also naive enough to be merging client money and

not to play devils advocate here, but there was technically no money stolen in the august heist, only bitcoin.

bitcoin is not legal tender and is not considered to be money in the US so i'd be surprised if a police report would have done even the slightest bit of good anyway.

I do not want to continually argue whether "something of value" was stolen and the police would take a report.    But using the logic above, you would not file a police report when your car is stolen either being cars are not legal tender.
legendary
July 18, 2013, 10:10:03 AM
I like how the Bitcoin-24 situation as basically the exact same situation, except in Europe, to show you how it's supposed to be handled. When bitcoin-24 shut down the aftermath was very simple, Simon Hausdorf went to jail, Simon Hausdorf did not get out of jail until he paid back his clients money.

What happened with Bitcoin-24? Did Simon Hausdorf go to jail because a bank closed his account???
July 18, 2013, 05:01:03 AM

That is an excellent point. Living in America is very much like living in a cartoon.

..and not a good one.
Activity: 854
Merit: 500
July 18, 2013, 01:51:44 AM

legendary
July 17, 2013, 10:05:40 PM
Roman refused to sell the debt because no one wanted to buy the whole thing. He asked around, no one was willing to buy it all. He had no problem with individual people selling their debt, as long as they did it between themselves. I know this, because I bought someone else's debt, and was being repaid. Roman did not refuse it.
July 17, 2013, 09:42:50 PM
Tell me who does not file a police report on a theft over $10,000 let alone what we are talking about here?
That is right, NO ONE.   Or someone who is also naive enough to be merging client money and

not to play devils advocate here, but there was technically no money stolen in the august heist, only bitcoin.

bitcoin is not legal tender and is not considered to be money in the US so i'd be surprised if a police report would have done even the slightest bit of good anyway.

i suppose malicious hacking charges, or maybe computer theft charges could be filed with the FBI.. but the police probably would not be able to take a report of actual financial theft.. or even assign a monetary value to the bitcoins stolen for that matter

i know that there was an approximate monetary value placed on the bitcoins that were stolen (quarter million US) by those like us who know how much we trade them for, but that amount is meaningless to law enforcement, so even as "stolen property" they would not be able to call it grand theft. in fact, they wouldn't even be able to call it petty theft because any value assigned to bitcoin is arbitrary in the eyes of US financial law

so.. a computer crime maybe, but not a financial crime

im not a lawyer though so i could be wrong, but from my meager understanding of bitcoin and financial law in this frakked up country, it seems about right

i know we'd all like to see bitcoin come into its own and protected under financial laws, but in the current reality they are still just imaginary, worthless bits of data. when somebody steals them from you... thats it. stolen. its the nature of bitcoin.

for this reason it really could have been Roman, or you, or me.. doesn't really matter. theyre gone
Pages:
Jump to: