Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitfury: "16nm... sales to public start shortly" - page 39. (Read 108494 times)

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1400
Yea they either use 7000 or 7100. Depending on what temps they want to run the chips at.

Here is my "testing" immersion tank running 7100  Grin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5-BaH8_SAk
Activity: 324
Merit: 250
Hi punin, thanks for your engagement here.

Just to be totally clear, you are saying that, at this point in time, there are no machines anywhere hashing with your new chip?

I can't help noticing that your share of total hash power increased sharply recently too.

That is correct. We have just a handful of chips right now and all are used for R&D and profiling including occasional rapid unscheduled disassembly as we look for the limits of the chip Wink . We are expecting the engineering lots in a few weeks time. Luckily our schedule was not affected by the recent Taiwan earthquake.

Our total hash power has increased due to our Gldani immersion cooling datacenter getting to full capacity.

Thank you for being active in the community punin, it's appreciated.

I got a small question to ask, are you using Novec 7000 fluid in your immersion tanks?
If yes, then awesome.
If-else, then what? Cheesy

Thanks again.
legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
Neoden TM245P - not great, but decent, affordable and gets the job done relatively fast.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
Just out of interest what PnP you are using
I have one of these in the shop for prototypes and short runs

http://www.elinform.ru/data/news/Image/2010/pubimage283_2.jpg
It is with linear drives
and up to 0402 works just fine
legendary
Yep. If Novak and I had even a third of their budget we'd have been selling BM1384 full-scale miners five or six months ago. What we worked on was a basic flexible concept where the power and controls could be reused with very few changes for pretty much any chip (within certain practical boundaries, of course, which kinda rules out Spondoolies anything) and using standard bus for everything for compatibility. Complexity just gets in the way. And designing a board around massive digital multiphase controllers with 0402 parts worked out well for the Habanero guys but I'm certainly not gonna attempt it. My pick-and-place isn't comfortable with stuff that small.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
From what I understand from Bicknellski's group, they had one engineer who blew through about $20k in materials designing something that was basically impossible to actually manufacture or even prototype, and everyone else sat around and talked for months. I forget how many hundred or thousand hours of archived design discussions they had.

Just throwing this out there, and it did take quite a bit longer than expected in part due to budgeting problems, but I started from a bare BM1384 and got the Compac up to production-ready with a materials budget of about $1000. Some of us are used to working for free.

If someone had accurate chip info (pinouts and protocols) a basic miner shouldn't be that hard to cook up. With a couple grand in budget for rapid prototyping it gets better. I'm not saying this is a great idea, but we've talked with the WASP guys and they pretty much ran things the opposite of how I would.

I only swooped past them once briefly, but got caught in some reply all email string. There were a few engineers each working on individual aspects, with most of them being paid solely in shares (that turned out to be worthless). They tried making reference boards for maybe 4 chips at once in entirely unusuable form factors just to 'prove' something. Then they were planning on making proper boards to actually use - it was very confusing. Yeah then about 10 people talking and having stupid meetings while never actually having any idea what they were doing, how to sell anything, what they were selling etc.

Not unexpectedly the engineers soon revolted for getting paid nothing with no end in sight and demanded others buy their shares off them. Bick was really the only one putting money in and when he stopped it crumbled and everyone left. That's why he lodged some weird crusade against me - he was strangely bitter that I hadn't joined and that I told them they were going about it wrong, and that I didn't invest (and lose) alongside him. He also generally hated Bitcoin after that because it was the industry's fault he lost out :/.

I don't know, some people just aren't cut out to win.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

Just to be totally clear, you are saying that, at this point in time, there are no machines anywhere hashing with your new chip?

I can't help noticing that your share of total hash power increased sharply recently too.

That is correct. We have just a handful of chips right now and all are used for R&D and profiling including occasional rapid unscheduled disassembly as we look for the limits of the chip Wink . We are expecting the engineering lots in a few weeks time. Luckily our schedule was not affected by the recent Taiwan earthquake.

Our total hash power has increased due to our Gldani immersion cooling datacenter getting to full capacity.

So the immersion facility is using 28nm ATM?  Ugh.

Going to hurt like hell when 16nm chips replace all of those 28nm. Yikes.
donator
Activity: 1057
Merit: 1021

So the immersion facility is using 28nm ATM?  Ugh.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
What is this WASP thing
legendary
From what I understand from Bicknellski's group, they had one engineer who blew through about $20k in materials designing something that was basically impossible to actually manufacture or even prototype, and everyone else sat around and talked for months. I forget how many hundred or thousand hours of archived design discussions they had.

Just throwing this out there, and it did take quite a bit longer than expected in part due to budgeting problems, but I started from a bare BM1384 and got the Compac up to production-ready with a materials budget of about $1000. Some of us are used to working for free.

If someone had accurate chip info (pinouts and protocols) a basic miner shouldn't be that hard to cook up. With a couple grand in budget for rapid prototyping it gets better. I'm not saying this is a great idea, but we've talked with the WASP guys and they pretty much ran things the opposite of how I would.
legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1002
Mine Mine Mine
some birdie sent a msg & it says:

2.7m each / 1.5 MW / 12 PH / 4.5 mths to build

meh Sad
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 2667
Evil beware: We have waffles!
"http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jan/16/elon-musk-falcon-9-rapid-unscheduled-disassembly" heh heh heh... I like that...
Frankly, I like that BitFury seems to have take a proper approach to marketing this chip vs the AMT/BFL/Hashfast days.... They know the market is there with the unclean masses slathering at the gates to get their hands on machines. For now they are tossing out tidbits but still keeping the gates locked.

Don't forget that making the chips is only half the battle, now they have to be characterized and a reference board design made. Note the emphasis on reference. As in here is an example of how it should work, not 'copy-this-x-times' like Bitmine.ch tried with Inno's ref design. Only once that is done can integrator's begin work on a full hashboard design.

It takes time if done right. Sure the market screams we want it yesterday! Tough. I like this better than weeks/months of folks bitching about promised product that is weeks/months late or never to be made at all.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
Another good hope is a group gets together, works out a large chip order and gets a board designed around 'em that can be manufactured as soon as chips arrive.

Not gonna happen.
Imagine a large group of greedy people funding such a venture. Something goes wrong, and just delays everything by a month or two (easily done with board manufacturers or just suppliers of electronics (parts, power supplies, etc ... you name it). Hell on earth is gone break loose for the guys who are in charge of the work. It will fail miserably and people will loose a significant part of their investment. The only winners are the suppliers (bitfury, manufacturers and part suppliers) .. The biggest losers the guys who did the work for free for the rest of the "investors" ... A story seen very often here in bitcointalk ...

Yeah you almost perfectly described what happened to Bicknellski's group, they destroyed themselves from the inside, everyone lost their money and the engineers ended up mostly working for free.
legendary
Activity: 1932
Merit: 1737
"Common rogue from Russia with a bare ass."

Love it  Grin

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

It's just that if I were Bitfury (lol I wish) and I had a killer like this chip so far advanced as to be at a stage where third parties will be producing miners incorporating it within a matter of weeks...well, I'd be highly tempted to be using it myself already.
Y'know, just for testing purposes....

Nothing to see,move along please.Nothing new hashing,just checking out old stuff to sell on ebay   Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1932
Merit: 1737
"Common rogue from Russia with a bare ass."

It's just that if I were Bitfury (lol I wish) and I had a killer like this chip so far advanced as to be at a stage where third parties will be producing miners incorporating it within a matter of weeks...well, I'd be highly tempted to be using it myself already.
Y'know, just for testing purposes....
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
Good stuff, where will these "official" Bitfury integrators be posted?

On our website www.bitfury.com

Maybe I'm missing some super obvious link, but I've looked all over your site and I can't see a link to any integrator, just the application to be one.  Can you provide an actual link, instead of just the TLD?

BTW; your support link on the bottom of all the pages is broken.
Thanks for the tip! Will fix asap.

Also, we will be adding the official partners and integrators to our site as soon as they complete our internal approval process.
Activity: 572
Merit: 506
I don't understand what info you're basing your opinionated statements on. We have seen great interest from integrators to our 16nm chip and are confident mining devices based on our chip will be available to public very soon. Possibly as early as end of march.

Well, we would like to know who will produce miners with your new 16nm chips...  Roll Eyes
Activity: 687
Merit: 511

Maybe I'm missing some super obvious link, but I've looked all over your site and I can't see a link to any integrator, just the application to be one.  Can you provide an actual link, instead of just the TLD?

BTW; your support link on the bottom of all the pages is broken.
Pages:
Jump to: