Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitfury: "16nm... sales to public start shortly" - page 34. (Read 108494 times)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100
Hm. What are the chip pinouts, protocols, and voltages required to fire it? I may have just the board to put 8 of these chips on............
As far as I know BitFury has not even released said info for their 28nm chip. (If I'm wrong, someone please to point where it is...) Even as a preliminary-spec sure as hell aren't going to release info on the 16nm chip...
They are not going for 28 nm, it is officially stated, as they are not going to sell it to general public.
For the 16 nm , they have docs and they provide it to 1M MOQ customers AFIK
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
Everyone seems to talk about decentralization and how much they care about bitcoin, but then do the opposite. One of the main reasons I mine with a certain pool and not others.

Few people in this sub care about Bitcoin, most just care about making money.
Very well said.
And it is that way for let's say last 3 years.
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 2667
Evil beware: We have waffles!
Hm. What are the chip pinouts, protocols, and voltages required to fire it? I may have just the board to put 8 of these chips on............
As far as I know BitFury has not even released said info for their 28nm chip. (If I'm wrong, someone please to point where it is...) Even as a preliminary-spec sure as hell aren't going to release info on the 16nm chip...
legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
Most, but definitely not all.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
Everyone seems to talk about decentralization and how much they care about bitcoin, but then do the opposite. One of the main reasons I mine with a certain pool and not others.

Few people in this sub care about Bitcoin, most just care about making money.
legendary
Activity: 3164
Merit: 2258
I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)
The new chip/miner design is so simple, that even a DIY at home is very easy! That's why Bitfury are so sure, there will be miners available at the end of March, just because there is not much to do.
Do your kids like LEGO? Do you want a LEGO type miner? Just put together the parts and start mining - even a kid could do it!
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
legendary
Not quite sure why everyone is surprised that a Manufacturer does not deal with individual customers? It's the same with most everything else we buy from Cars to Televisions. I assume that Dealers & Retailers will emerge for us to buy from?
Rich

When the Manufacturer claims that he is trying to help with decentralization, I do expect that he will deal with individual customers. Considering the variety of members I don't think that you can get better decentralization than here. But when the Manufacturer prefers to deal only with large customers I can only say that they have LIED.
Won't argue with that in the least.
If they don't want to deal with individual sales then setup vetted distributors to take the hassle of dealing with The Public. There are reputable folks here itchin' to do that with the BTC in-hand to do some decent size outright chip buys or-- AFTER proof of them working outside of a lab -- handle group-financed buys.

Not to mention, um privately let a few folks here who know what they are doing have a few engineering/sales samples along with chip data sheets and any other useful tips/info that would come in handy. Enough so they can initially at least make a full-up POC 2-4TH/s miner for the Community. As in most likely those involved eventually releasing all final design data or at least enough for DIY's to play with after fair recompense for time/effort/blood, sweat and tears involved in the process is garnered though sales..
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007
Not quite sure why everyone is surprised that a Manufacturer does not deal with individual customers? It's the same with most everything else we buy from Cars to Televisions. I assume that Dealers & Retailers will emerge for us to buy from?

Rich

When the Manufacturer claims that he is trying to help with decentralization, I do expect that he will deal with individual customers. Considering the variety of members I don't think that you can get better decentralization than here. But when the Manufacturer prefers to deal only with large customers I can only say that they have LIED.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'

Btw bitmaintech is taking money for presales as I do not think they have shipped since February
Technically you could call it pre-sale but the only reason is due to their time off for CNY. I see no reason to think the gear won't ship on time. Must be nice to have a gov mandated 15 days off...  Convenient for them no doubt but the units for batch 10 are supposed to be shipping now. I expect to get an email from Bitmain about my 2 batch 10's any day now.

I am glad you bring this up.  So far I have yet to hear or read any info on batch ten shipping.
legendary

Btw bitmaintech is taking money for presales as I do not think they have shipped since February
Technically you could call it pre-sale but the only reason is due to their time off for CNY. I see no reason to think the gear won't ship on time. Must be nice to have a gov mandated 15 days off...  Convenient for them no doubt but the units for batch 10 are supposed to be shipping now. I expect to get an email from Bitmain about my 2 batch 10's any day now.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
I ran two group buys for avalon6 sold 17 then 18. We could do one right now. But pricing is not acceptable.

875 is too high. But the gear is for sale to the public.

legendary
Avalon uses a third-party reseller (at least for orders outside China, not sure about inside) with a MOQ of 10 units. Not openly small-customer hostile, but not exactly friendly either.

I know the A2 is an Innosilicon chip, but is the Terminator an Innosilicon product or built by a third party? Also, pretty sure that's a scrypt miner so not bitcoin (just covering technicalities).
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
Well we had more dealers and resellers, but then manufacturers started selling direct (and undercutting the dealers) and kinda killed off a lot of 'em.

For now at least the only one standing from all that and willing to sell ready-to-run rigs to the Public is Bitmain.

Avalon counts right now, though they don't seem to be repricing the Avalon 6 to keep it at all competative.

Innosilicon counted 'till very recently (both their A2 Terminators and their Farm Boys, 'till they ran out of inventory on the A2 chips to make those with).

Very soon IN THEORY, BW.com (which is part-owned by Lketc, so they sorta-count) if and when they start selling the B-Eleven publicly.

The list IS short, but it's not JUST Bitmain.

KNK
Activity: 692
Merit: 502
Now we just have to see the BitFury 16nm chip in other hands and running at full speed on full boards.

Have you seen this thread https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitfury-designs-released-under-cc-by-sa-1360038 and the files from http://dl.bitfury.com/28nm/ ?
The new chip/miner design is so simple, that even a DIY at home is very easy! That's why Bitfury are so sure, there will be miners available at the end of March, just because there is not much to do.
Do your kids like LEGO? Do you want a LEGO type miner? Just put together the parts and start mining - even a kid could do it!
legendary
Rich
Agreed. Just try and buy the latest chips (or any at all) directly from Intel, AMD,etc and unless you are stocking a very large DC, after snickering they will point you to PCMall or such.

As long as Bitmain doesn't immediately crush any thought of building a miner for less than they can sell their next one for, even on a smaller volume scale, then there is still a chance for Something Else, eg the BtiFury chip sold to integrators/distributors. Now we just have to see the BitFury 16nm chip in other hands and running at full speed on full boards.
legendary
Well we had more dealers and resellers, but then manufacturers started selling direct (and undercutting the dealers) and kinda killed off a lot of 'em.
Aye, that they did. Thing is, to paraphrase what was said in the BitFury link above, the Pulbic can be a ravanous mob when things don't go exactly as planned. AM, AMT/Bitmine.ch, BFL and others showed that very well and publicly. By not selling ready to run rigs to the public BitFury avoided all that pain and kept it to themselves and their private investors.

For now at least the only one standing from all that and willing to sell ready-to-run rigs to the Public is Bitmain. Why? Without getting nit-picky about it, a. They don't do pre-orders  (with the public at least) on chips/rigs that don't exist outside of a lab yet like the others did. b. They don't start drumming up interest in upcoming miners before really ready to ship. And along that, also bleeding dry the last stock of chips they have of a family step.

Put the two together and they (Bitmain) are freed from forcing a product out the door before it has a decent chance of working as-advertised. Yes they have DOA's from time to time but considering the huge # of miners they build per run, I'll give them that.
legendary
Activity: 516
Merit: 500
I hope sometime they will move to smaller customers

I doubt it.

“We decided to not deal with thousands of small clients, because it’s a headache. The headache you get from small clients who are paying $5 is much bigger, because for him $5 is the last money. For a big client, $1m, $5m – it’s nothing because he has another $5m.” 

http://www.logicoins.org/bitfury-ceo-were-not-a-bitcoin-mining-company/
Exactly .. greedy f...rs getting more money giving a f... about everybody else.

Sorry for the language
Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Rich
Pages:
Jump to: