Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitfury: "16nm... sales to public start shortly" - page 35. (Read 108494 times)

legendary
Activity: 1932
Merit: 1737
"Common rogue from Russia with a bare ass."
I hope sometime they will move to smaller customers

I doubt it.

“We decided to not deal with thousands of small clients, because it’s a headache. The headache you get from small clients who are paying $5 is much bigger, because for him $5 is the last money. For a big client, $1m, $5m – it’s nothing because he has another $5m.” 

http://www.logicoins.org/bitfury-ceo-were-not-a-bitcoin-mining-company/
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
I said the container costs $8 million

I wish they would finally come up with a reliable quote. All attempts to get any information from them were ignored until now...

I think the problem is people email them that simply have no where near the capital to be buyers.  If only serious buyers would ask for quotes it would be much different.

But now I think they have to weed out the real customers with lot's of backing, from home/hobby miners.   And once they do get a customer like this I have no doubt a NDA is signed to keep their secrets secret.  Which makes sense from being a private company competing against others.

I hope sometime they will move to smaller customers, but I think big customers take first place.... which makes sense financially.  Our main hope is some company buy's bulk chips and releases a miner to us hobby miners I think.  Although I would love if Bitfury did it direct to hobby miners on a miner.
Activity: 516
Merit: 500

I wish they would finally come up with a reliable quote. All attempts to get any information from them were ignored until now...

It has never been different. The prices also very a lot .. depending if they like your nose or not .. Just a bunch of greedy ppl., they always have been.
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 1124

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
Speaking as someone that has suffered through both Sat and Cellular as a primary internet connection, there is no such thing as 100% uptime with those types of connection.
 They're viable in a pinch as backup connectivity, as mining isn't data-intensive, but redundant links of REAL Internet connections (one DSL, one CableModem for example) would be a TON better on reliability.

I was really referring to if you have to move your DC on short notice and you literally end up with a container + temporary generator on someone's lot and you still need to be able to mine.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1001
aka "whocares"
The simple fact remains they are not mining with any significant chips (28 or 16nm) in the immersion data tanks.  Those tanks are in the $8 million range

Why do you ASSUME they are using some sort of "standard" tank?

They DO own Allied Control after all - no reason they couldn't design and build custom tanks to suit THEIR need.

I did not assume they are using a "standard" tank, not sure where you got that idea.  I also stated that I am aware they own Allied.

I guess I am unsure of what you are trying to say in your post.

Huh

So let me clarify, the Mobile Data Centers with Immersion Cooling that Bitfury has a sketch of on their website cost somewhere around $8 million.   Wink

Edited to add the following: I am not sure if that price tag is with or without miners but I would hope the price would load it up with 16nm chips

The way you were talking about the $8 million data tanks is what made your statement very unclear - and probably very inaccurate.
 I'm sure there is a lot more to those "Mobile Data Centers" than the tank.

when you do a 300 amp panel do you need new wires from the power company's transformer?

Also does the power company need to upgrade the transformer?

Almost definitely yes, and "It depends on how many folks are feeding from that transformer and it's sizing but possibly yes, ASK TO BE SURE."

In reference to the tank being brought up again:
You are right, you win  Huh

Philipma1957- all I had to do was call the electric company and ask to speak to the engineer and told him my home address and requirements.  He immediately looked it up and said they did not need to change out/upgrade transformers. I would say if you are considering upgrading at home it is best to call the engineer and see what is necessary.  For me the engineer was very helpful and gave me pros and cons.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
Only power in and data in-out.

Wouldn't be surprised if they had some encrypted version of 4G or satellite as backup connectivity and make sure 100% uptime. The great thing about mining is that the bandwidth requirements should remain constant regardless of the size of hardware!

Speaking as someone that has suffered through both Sat and Cellular as a primary internet connection, there is no such thing as 100% uptime with those types of connection.
 They're viable in a pinch as backup connectivity, as mining isn't data-intensive, but redundant links of REAL Internet connections (one DSL, one CableModem for example) would be a TON better on reliability.

When Iridium gets it's new constellation on line, they MIGHT be able to argue with DSL and Cable Modem on reliability (though not on speed) and be in the ballpark on lag, but any current Sat link is guarenteed to have well over a half SECOND of lag at best when it's working, and Cellular tends to have dropout issues a lot of the time unless you're right under a tower, and the towers themselves have reliability issues at times.

The bandwidth does NOT remain constant regardless of the size of the hardware - but it's low enough even a decent 3G cellular link should have enough bandwidth (except when updating the blockchain) to handle multiple Petahash when the link is up at all....
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
The simple fact remains they are not mining with any significant chips (28 or 16nm) in the immersion data tanks.  Those tanks are in the $8 million range

They DO own Allied Control after all - no reason they couldn't design and build custom tanks to suit THEIR need.

I did not assume they are using a "standard" tank, not sure where you got that idea.  I also stated that I am aware they own Allied.

Huh

So let me clarify, the Mobile Data Centers with Immersion Cooling that Bitfury has a sketch of on their website cost somewhere around $8 million.   Wink

Edited to add the following: I am not sure if that price tag is with or without miners but I would hope the price would load it up with 16nm chips

The way you were talking about the $8 million data tanks is what made your statement very unclear - and probably very inaccurate.
 I'm sure there is a lot more to those "Mobile Data Centers" than the tank.

when you do a 300 amp panel do you need new wires from the power company's transformer?

Almost definitely yes, and "It depends on how many folks are feeding from that transformer and it's sizing but possibly yes, ASK TO BE SURE."

legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
When I upgraded the shop to 400A three-phase, the utility company didn't charge me to swap out transformers. I did the rest (new wires, main distro panel and such) for about $4000 in materials, including a new 200A 3ph pull to the hosting room, with junction box and subpanels. About two thirds of that was just the main distro panel and bus breakers, most of the rest was a thousand feet of 250kcmil aluminum to make the runs from the pole.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
I guess it is not important, I certainly am not going to go out and buy a Mobile Immersion Data Center.  Hell, it took all my change to upgrade my garage to a 300 amp panel  Grin

Actually I did a 100 amp off the box outside with no power company needed, but the 200 amp panel after that needed a new wire from the junction to the house but no upgraded transformer needed.  The power company charged me $180 to run the wire, the conduit was adequately sized. Now the electrician charged me $4000 for parts and labor.

good to know. not sure what I am doing next,   but  my home can do more Then I am doing at the moment.
legendary
aka "whocares"
I guess it is not important, I certainly am not going to go out and buy a Mobile Immersion Data Center.  Hell, it took all my change to upgrade my garage to a 300 amp panel  Grin

Actually I did a 100 amp off the box outside with no power company needed, but the 200 amp panel after that needed a new wire from the junction to the house but no upgraded transformer needed.  The power company charged me $180 to run the wire, the conduit was adequately sized. Now the electrician charged me $4000 for parts and labor.

I essentially have 400 amps to the house or 300 amp dedicated to mining
legendary
Activity: 1596

Yes.

Depends on the installed transformer capacity on the pole vs calculated load for all buildings connected to that particular transformer.
legendary
Activity: 1596

I heard 300A were coming to residential buildings soon with only 1 mast, whereas before they would require 2 like a 400A setup. Are you single, or double mast?
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'

legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
That kinda depends on your node/pool/worker setup, but even if it's not constant it's still pretty small. I think I marked about 100kbps bandwidth in use for my entire hosting network, and that's probably on the order of 50 independent pool connections.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
Only power in and data in-out.

Wouldn't be surprised if they had some encrypted version of 4G or satellite as backup connectivity and make sure 100% uptime. The great thing about mining is that the bandwidth requirements should remain constant regardless of the size of hardware!
legendary
aka "whocares"
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 2667
Evil beware: We have waffles!
The 'Standard Tank' bit being banged around prolly came from my mention of IF they were all the same size (standard) in the DC then it is easy to swap out for upgrades.

It's a big SS tank sitting under a mondo big condenser coil. Only power in and data in-out. Get a general size that works and then use any size boards that will fit.
legendary
aka "whocares"

Huh

legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 1520
Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206
Pages:
Jump to: