Author

Topic: bitHopper: Python Pool Hopper Proxy - page 166. (Read 355689 times)

donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
July 21, 2011, 09:09:23 PM
I am wondering if its possible to code so that if you are mining at a pool that is say 500Ghash/s total speed and they are at 300k shares or something that you don't immediately jump to a pool that has a speed of 50Ghash/s that just found a block.  Wouldn't it be more profitable to finish the 43% with the fast pool and then jump?  Or is the risk of not catching that super fast block on the small pool too great?

I'm sorry, but also reading your comments on the bitp.it thread, I am not sure you understand the mathematics behind hopping. Forget your concept of "luck". This is just basic probability theory.

Maybe I am entirely misunderstanding the math.  I haven't the knowledge to do a detailed analysis of how getting a massive (in the case of bitp.it 3x) boost in hash rate effects the number and rate of finding blocks.  Perhaps there is no correlation.  If I had to guess, I would think that people who mine in a single pool that is being hopped ARE negatively effected, but not to the extent that most believe due to more blocks being found with a massive increase in hash rate.  

Maybe I am totally off base. . .

Care to comment on the comment you were responding to initially though about different pool speeds and jumping? 
bb
July 21, 2011, 09:04:32 PM
2) switching from eligius to x8s?
Well both your backup pools lagged out. So it switched to the pool with the lowest number of shares which wasn't lagged out. Once the backup pools came back up then it switched back. That is how it is supposed to work.

3) issues serving index.html and running from the wrong directory?
Yeah. Thats an issue. I'll fix it.

ad 2: Ok, I didn't get that. Thanks for clearing that up.

ad 3: I saw it's already in. Thanks! :-)
July 21, 2011, 08:03:36 PM
Oh jeez, what happened to Ozco.in?  They are down to 7.2Ghash/s right now.

Edit: looks like they are slowly coming back up.
bb
July 21, 2011, 08:02:49 PM
I am wondering if its possible to code so that if you are mining at a pool that is say 500Ghash/s total speed and they are at 300k shares or something that you don't immediately jump to a pool that has a speed of 50Ghash/s that just found a block.  Wouldn't it be more profitable to finish the 43% with the fast pool and then jump?  Or is the risk of not catching that super fast block on the small pool too great?

I'm sorry, but also reading your comments on the bitp.it thread, I am not sure you understand the mathematics behind hopping. Forget your concept of "luck". This is just basic probability theory.
July 21, 2011, 07:54:20 PM
I am wondering if its possible to code so that if you are mining at a pool that is say 500Ghash/s total speed and they are at 300k shares or something that you don't immediately jump to a pool that has a speed of 50Ghash/s that just found a block.  Wouldn't it be more profitable to finish the 43% with the fast pool and then jump?  Or is the risk of not catching that super fast block on the small pool too great?

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
July 21, 2011, 07:50:30 PM
1) 10^10 shares means there api was down....
Not faking shares. I should probably have a flag for that but well.
donator
Poor impulse control.
July 21, 2011, 07:33:50 PM
Anyone else notice the total shares last night on Mt Red changing to 10000000 for a hour or so? Looks like they're getting ready to fake stats without trapping hoppers.
donator
Poor impulse control.
July 21, 2011, 07:31:18 PM
from what I understand is they're getting less per share because of hoppers and find more blocks too which in the long run = better payouts

From what little I observed of hopping, that seems to be the case.  It may just be one massive coincidence that ever since bitp.it took measures against hopping that they had a 90 hour round, but I don't believe in coincidences like that.  The guy who runs bitp.it said that with hopping happening, his regular users were getting payments of 75% of normal.

75% payout on 9 blocks in 143 hours seems to be better than 100% payout on 1 block in 90 hours and counting to me.  IDK.

haha you're right, dunno if they will accept making a test for 5 days with hopper boost after they find this block, it's a long shot I know just to see if it is only pure luck (edit: in the name of pc science Smiley )

@muyoso: Look, I understand why it looks like pools do better with hoppers, but if this current block on bitpit is looooong because they've lost a hashboost because of no hoppers then each share is with more and the full time miners still come out ahead. The limiting case is solo mining, and in a proportional pool you get a proportion of the 50 coins.

As long as the block is solved near total shares, the full time miners come out ahead.

If the block is taking forever because total shares are way past , then full time miners are losing out - but this is simple Poisson variance and in no way can be affected by when miners start or leave. You're right - in this game there are no coincidences. But there are regularly very long blocks and with only 6 pools to choose from long blocks will happen to at least one of them. It has a high enough probability that it is not a coincidence.

Can we call this closed now? Hoppers can only benefit pools, not full time miners.
Activity: 339
Merit: 250
dafq is goin on
July 21, 2011, 07:15:17 PM
*cough*cough*hoppersden invite thru PM*someone PLZ with cheez*cough cough*mtred rox*bitcoins.lc WTF they didnt kick me, but shares up and down*btcguild told me 3 weeks ago: no, i will not do something against hoppers (arrrr, we got you in the end)*eclipsemc: got some free shares as i thought thought still pp*hahaha*multipool is nice, but a mess*bithopper rox but needs more "simultaneous" connections (possible?) to slow for my farm sometimes*me probably the only one in the Interwebs running multipool after bithopper Wink

Hello everyone, I like dem pirates and publicly announce my piracy Wink My goods been stolen too long. i had to drink a lotta rum to become... ahopper Smiley

tl:dr??!!! gimme invite to hoppersden?!, ARRRRR!

No kangaroos in .au anymore?

Grin
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
July 21, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
yep, just like I said before, ozco.in took measures against the kangaroos... 

@c00w pls add polmine.pl and bitparking when you can, I just lack the python knowledge to do it from the ryouiki's fork . thanks
donator
Poor impulse control.
July 21, 2011, 06:49:24 PM
@Dikidera, everyone on a forum gets pounded on every now and the -  if you're as 4-channy as you seem you know that. We've all posted things on the spur of the moment we're not proud of, and we've all has people annoy us and there is always the temptation to keep the flame burning. But there is never an excuse for using all caps. So let's just pretend page 39 edit 39 and 40 didn't happen and start again.

I'm sure you could spend time 4-channing us, but this is a really good proxy once you understand how it works and why.

1. Pool hopping currently works well only on proportional pools and only when you have access to non-delayed total shares. Neither btcguild or deepbit provide usable total share stats.
2. bitHopper provides a user stats page you can access on your browser on 127.0.0.1 which shows efficiency. You'll be able to see it work and see how far ahead you are by using it.
3. Since I've been using bitHopper I've had 140% to 200% efficiency on pools we use, for a total of 160%. Multipool's efficiency is around 120%.
4. Challenges coming up: loss of usable pools stats.

If you do have real coding skills (which is what I assume you're referring to when you recommend we don't anger you, and not that you've had an accident with a radioactive substance and go green and ragey when you get cranky) then help the project! We could do with someone helping with html scraping.

legendary
July 21, 2011, 06:48:11 PM
from what I understand is they're getting less per share because of hoppers and find more blocks too which in the long run = better payouts

From what little I observed of hopping, that seems to be the case.  It may just be one massive coincidence that ever since bitp.it took measures against hopping that they had a 90 hour round, but I don't believe in coincidences like that.  The guy who runs bitp.it said that with hopping happening, his regular users were getting payments of 75% of normal.

75% payout on 9 blocks in 143 hours seems to be better than 100% payout on 1 block in 90 hours and counting to me.  IDK.

haha you're right, dunno if they will accept making a test for 5 days with hopper boost after they find this block, it's a long shot I know just to see if it is only pure luck (edit: in the name of pc science Smiley )
July 21, 2011, 06:42:23 PM

Activity: 168
July 21, 2011, 06:39:02 PM
One last observation, @1bitc0inplz, I don't know if it was faking stats to hoppers or what, but your luck seems like it's taken a hit.

Shame too. I like the minimalist feel of your site.

Yea, I brought up that point in their thread starting here:

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=12181.msg381404#msg381404

meanwhile, hop friendly mtred is ON FIRE with a 49 minute round followed by a 4 hour round!
legendary
July 21, 2011, 06:25:15 PM
One last observation, @1bitc0inplz, I don't know if it was faking stats to hoppers or what, but your luck seems like it's taken a hit.

July 21, 2011, 06:14:37 PM

Activity: 168
July 21, 2011, 06:12:25 PM
40 pages to get a troll... well, let's kill the suspense:

you are all just like Hitler... a bunch of nazis!

Godwin's law satisfied, now back to hopping.

legendary
July 21, 2011, 06:10:19 PM
Got a PM:

Calling me a loser means insta-death. And i think my post was pretty straightforward.

Lol.  Wonder if his parents know he is mining on their computer instead of doing his homework?
It's not like i was hiding the PM. I just want you to learn, you don't ever fuck with diki. It's the other way around Wink

we share info like all the other ppl on this forum, share some of your experience if you like
Activity: 126
July 21, 2011, 06:08:05 PM
Got a PM:

Calling me a loser means insta-death. And i think my post was pretty straightforward.

Lol.  Wonder if his parents know he is mining on their computer instead of doing his homework?
It's not like i was hiding the PM. I just want you to learn, you don't ever fuck with diki. It's the other way around Wink
Jump to: