Pages:
Author

Topic: bitHopper: Python Pool Hopper Proxy - page 50. (Read 355678 times)

legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
August 08, 2011, 08:59:09 PM
@GenTarkin For me mine_slush works nice in the default scheduler, dunno if it matters but I played with penalty too (1-4)

Hi paraipanakos, the problem with it is that it still switches between slush and other pools when slicing.  Ideally (and what has just been added to altslicer) we want it to switch to slush as soon as it turns to zero, and stay on slush (ignoring everything else) until 11%.  

hey simonk83, it's an issue default scheduler has, someone will surely implement the "stick with slush" function in time because it seems to be a good ideea

edit: @ed64, agree with you, seen it in ryo's and liked it allot, I would definitely like to see it some day implemented Smiley
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
August 08, 2011, 08:52:37 PM
@GenTarkin For me mine_slush works nice in the default scheduler, dunno if it matters but I played with penalty too (1-4)

Personally I think mine_slush should be removed and replaced by penalty, it's more dynamic and can account for say a 100ghash pool that delays stats by 1 hour (still hoppable). While a pool that delays stats for 1 hour > 1Thash/s, it's impossible to know where they are....

Or for smaller/slower pools, I put in a penalty so I don't mine too much on them, since payouts take forever...
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
August 08, 2011, 08:50:42 PM
I think this fulfills the idea that gnaget put forth originally as mine_friendly or mine_charity.

Not quite. There's a difference between regularly mining over difficulty*1 and only doing it when there are no other pools with fewer shares available. With mine_charity you will loose significant efficiency because you're doing it systematically and regularly. If you only mine over diff*1 when there aren't other pools available it doesn't make much difference since it wont happen often.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
August 08, 2011, 08:50:03 PM

Hi paraipanakos, the problem with it is that it still switches between slush and other pools when slicing.  Ideally (and what has just been added to altslicer) we want it to switch to slush as soon as it turns to zero, and stay on slush (ignoring everything else) until 11%. 
legendary
August 08, 2011, 08:47:35 PM
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
August 08, 2011, 08:44:12 PM

All I'm saying is if you have more than three pools, the only hopping you have to do is when another pool has fewer shares than the one you're on. You shouldn't have to jump to backup at  43% - this number its only useful if you have one proportional pool and one pps pool. So if any pool ops are checking for you hopping off at 43%, not hopping off then won't have an effect on your long term earnings.
sort of. we're talking long term here, so even going over 1*diff doesn't matter. If you set the threshold to 3*diff, then for a particular round it might make a difference, but only if no other pools were available. But that's pretty rare and in the long run it wont have a significant effect on overall earnings.
I know this is all very counter intuitive - I wrote the sim and it took me a week to believe the results. Plus I'm probably not explaining it well, sorry.

First, I wanted to thank you for doing these sims and sharing the results, this is absolutely fascinating.  It makes sense right up until going over 1*diff part.  I think that is what I'm having trouble getting my head around, so maybe you could try to explain that aspect of it better?

It seems that any time that you can submit a share with a higher EV that is your best course of action.  Is this specifically vs. submitting to a PPS pool?  Would I be right in assuming that if you had the option to Solo mine vs submit a share at more than 1*diff that Solo mining would be the better option in the long run?

Sorry for all the questions, just a little bit mind bending....

(Oh, and if anyone has a hden invite, I'd love to not be cluttering up the thread with non-BH stuff.  Thanks)

I'm glad I could confuse you as much as relearning all my uni stats confused me.  In stats it seems that 'common sense' is often not a very reliable guide.

The reason that going over 1*diff is ok: Each data point is the result of at least one hundred thousand rounds using that particular hop off point (x axis). It's not the result of just one round. So while it may impact a particular round, if you have enough pools it wont happen very often. Just because you set your hop threshold to say 3*diff, it doesn't mean you'll mine the often, and in the long run won't make a significant difference to your earnings. A pleasant side effect is although you'll still be hopping, it wont be until just 43% any more so it will be harder to point you out as a hopper.

As far as your second question goes, yes that's true. But it won't happen often enough to give you many pps shares if you have lots of other pools. See the difference between the '0 other pools' graph and the '5 other pools' graph? Hopping to another pool that just found a block will happen more and more frequently when you have more pools, and sooner.

I won't clutter this thread up further, but I'll get some intro to hopping blog posts up on hoppersden using byteHopper to illustrate. When I can stop fiddling with the sims, that is. The best hop point vs efficiency for slush should be done soon.

legendary
Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002
August 08, 2011, 08:41:11 PM
slush just got a new block and the hopper didnt switch over to it, its still making sure the other hoppable pools slice accounts are "caught up" =(...  I want slush to take priority over those...grr

Pull the latest code from c00w. There is code now to jump to slush while it's "hot" and return to normal when it's not, but only with the alternate scheduler:  --scheduler=AltSliceScheduler and only when it's set to mine_slush.  

Isn't this possible to do with the default slicer?

It will mine ONLY on slush, until approximately 10% is reached.
Yeah, Id like some clarification on this, because I jsut sat here and watched the default scheduler just keep switching between 3 pools when slush's was around 2% till 11%.... =(

I hope you can see the clarification. he was only working on that one scheduler, so no, it isnt on the default... not to be overly snarky

HAHA, well call me blind =P Thanks for the clarification and yes! I want this on the default scheduler as well so I can use it along w/ testing deepbit startLP mining....
August 08, 2011, 08:36:20 PM
Is anyone able to pinch the code and port it to the default scheduler (as I assume most of us are using that)?
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
moOo
August 08, 2011, 08:32:19 PM
slush just got a new block and the hopper didnt switch over to it, its still making sure the other hoppable pools slice accounts are "caught up" =(...  I want slush to take priority over those...grr

Pull the latest code from c00w. There is code now to jump to slush while it's "hot" and return to normal when it's not, but only with the alternate scheduler:  --scheduler=AltSliceScheduler and only when it's set to mine_slush.  

Yeah, Id like some clarification on this, because I jsut sat here and watched the default scheduler just keep switching between 3 pools when slush's was around 2% till 11%.... =(

I hope you can see the clarification. he was only working on that one scheduler, so no, it isnt on the default... not to be overly snarky

legendary
Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002
August 08, 2011, 08:24:48 PM
slush just got a new block and the hopper didnt switch over to it, its still making sure the other hoppable pools slice accounts are "caught up" =(...  I want slush to take priority over those...grr

Pull the latest code from c00w. There is code now to jump to slush while it's "hot" and return to normal when it's not, but only with the alternate scheduler:  --scheduler=AltSliceScheduler and only when it's set to mine_slush. 

Activity: 102
Merit: 10
August 08, 2011, 08:22:36 PM
Well patch is the actual program to do the patching. I don't know if its on windows however.

I've been using SmartGit 2 on Win7 x64. Nice gui, but not much on the instructions. It has a window to compare changes between two files and either manually edit or merge one change at a time. Highly recommended.
legendary
August 08, 2011, 08:04:49 PM
@The Vark I think you're absolutely right about organofcorti sims and graphs and he'd surely open a new thread and get ppl talk about this
Activity: 476
moOo
August 08, 2011, 08:04:07 PM
sort of. we're talking long term here, so even going over 1*diff doesn't matter.

it might not be 100%.. probably a bit higher, but once expected value of shares goes below guaranteed payment of shares on pps, you are better on pps.

only if you want to reduce your variation, not if you want to maximise your payout in the long term.

Ok i havent done the math but lets say WE got 1 supper slow, and 3 fast pools.

The supper slow does like 5% a day
the fast does 100% a day

we turn this thing on everyone is at 0, it doesnt really take but 2 shares and we are on the slow pool. so we are stuck on the slow pool.

everyone else has a great day.. say 50%.. so they hit 50% we didnt have really any shares to speak of and didnt get paid but they are back at 0 in 12 hours. Slowpool is at 2.5%
so we swap to them for  for the good pools for about 40 minutes and then back to slow pool.. mining away
next day slow pool is at 5%.. fast pools at 50%... so lets say they get a little lucky and all hit at 75%.. now it is 6 hours later. they all hit 0%
slow pool is at 6.2%
now we mine on the fast pools for about 90 minutes and back on slow pool.
throw in a shity day, now the fast pools dont see a block for 175%
so day 3 went by with us on slow pool now at 10%
day 4 is here slow pool is at 15% and they hit.

you can see where I am going... with extremely long time frames it might work out, but if really slow pool is on a 9 million block when we start, we will have wasted a majority of our time on slow pool, missing a good deal of better shares.  all because most of the time, slow pool will have a less percentage.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
August 08, 2011, 07:58:23 PM
Very excited about Organ's results. This would make hoppers nearly invisible and would really take away the complaints from other miners and pool ops. Instead of everyone disappearing at 43 and "leaving the hard work for everyone else" we'd stay through to the end of the block unless a more profitable pool came along. That is just COMMON SENSE and doesn't have at all the same implication of all of us taking off at 43%.

I think this fulfills the idea that gnaget put forth originally as mine_friendly or mine_charity.
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
August 08, 2011, 07:55:28 PM

All I'm saying is if you have more than three pools, the only hopping you have to do is when another pool has fewer shares than the one you're on. You shouldn't have to jump to backup at  43% - this number its only useful if you have one proportional pool and one pps pool. So if any pool ops are checking for you hopping off at 43%, not hopping off then won't have an effect on your long term earnings.
sort of. we're talking long term here, so even going over 1*diff doesn't matter. If you set the threshold to 3*diff, then for a particular round it might make a difference, but only if no other pools were available. But that's pretty rare and in the long run it wont have a significant effect on overall earnings.
I know this is all very counter intuitive - I wrote the sim and it took me a week to believe the results. Plus I'm probably not explaining it well, sorry.

First, I wanted to thank you for doing these sims and sharing the results, this is absolutely fascinating.  It makes sense right up until going over 1*diff part.  I think that is what I'm having trouble getting my head around, so maybe you could try to explain that aspect of it better?

It seems that any time that you can submit a share with a higher EV that is your best course of action.  Is this specifically vs. submitting to a PPS pool?  Would I be right in assuming that if you had the option to Solo mine vs submit a share at more than 1*diff that Solo mining would be the better option in the long run?

Sorry for all the questions, just a little bit mind bending....

(Oh, and if anyone has a hden invite, I'd love to not be cluttering up the thread with non-BH stuff.  Thanks)
Activity: 434
August 08, 2011, 07:53:29 PM
hey guys, BTCServ.net found a block or what ? can't find blocks info on there

I don't think they actually found one, but they did start a new round and they're offering a bounty for their (first?)next three blocks.

...yeah their page is slow and oddly lain out. Kinda grows on you though. Smiley

Edit: I stand corrupted.
August 08, 2011, 07:52:44 PM

For both the default slicer AND altslicer, or just altslicer?

They found one about 17 hours ago ish, I think.  The stats reset anyway.

EDIT: From their front page:

Announcements
First Block Found

Yey, congratulations to finally solving the first block and especially to Schinkens_worker who found the first block. Unfortunately, displaying the rounds does not work as planned, will look into it on Tuesday.
Activity: 434
August 08, 2011, 07:50:16 PM
Minor quibble alert.

Possible to get rid of the column of "n/a"s listed under slice with the default slicer? It's a whole lot easier to see what's going on at a glance without them. As it stands it's a bunch easier to tell what's in store for you with AltSlicer's cleaner interface.  
Activity: 481
Merit: 500
August 08, 2011, 07:49:49 PM
slush just got a new block and the hopper didnt switch over to it, its still making sure the other hoppable pools slice accounts are "caught up" =(...  I want slush to take priority over those...grr

Pull the latest code from c00w. There is code now to jump to slush while it's "hot" and return to normal when it's not, but only with the alternate scheduler:  --scheduler=AltSliceScheduler and only when it's set to mine_slush. 

legendary
August 08, 2011, 07:47:17 PM
Pages:
Jump to: