Pages:
Author

Topic: BITMAIN AntMiner APW3-12-1600 PSU Series - page 5. (Read 36631 times)

Activity: 110
Merit: 10
November 03, 2015, 03:17:55 PM
Guys, trying to Run 2 EA S5's and 1 EA S3 off a single PSU 1600 from bitmain, this style on thread.
Is this too close and wont hold, in your opinions or anyone else try this?
S5 PSU is 590W at wall, and S3 is 340 total is 1520 W
So it makes sense to me that it would work?
If so why not?

Thanks
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
October 26, 2015, 12:12:22 PM
Apologies if this has been asked/answered already.

I have a 220V plug in my basement where I will run my new S7 + APW3-12-1600.

But the 200V outlet I have looks like the kind in laundry room, i.e. a round outlet with non-standard plug sizes compared to a regular outlet.
Like this:

But does the PSU come with a standard computer power cable with a regular 3-prong that goes in to something like this?: 

If so, how would I make the square peg fit in the round hole?

Smiley
You can buy a laundry cord like this at the hardware store with bare ends and then buy a 20-30a socket with lock.  Then purchase a power cord that fits the psu and other end that fits the locking socket which you can buy online.  If you plan to run multiple miners then a pdu would benefit you.  The latter cord then would need to fit the pdu.  Exact cord and socket types I'm not able to provide right now, I'm away from my computer.
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
October 26, 2015, 10:23:56 AM
Only good things to say about this PSU.

Outperforms: (Meaning a little higher output voltage, 0.1-2+)
Corsair 1200AXi
EVGA 1600 G2
XFX 1250

My S7's run very good on this PSU.
Activity: 668
Merit: 257
October 26, 2015, 10:19:58 AM
Apologies if this has been asked/answered already.

I have a 220V plug in my basement where I will run my new S7 + APW3-12-1600.

But the 200V outlet I have looks like the kind in laundry room, i.e. a round outlet with non-standard plug sizes compared to a regular outlet.
Like this:

But does the PSU come with a standard computer power cable with a regular 3-prong that goes in to something like this?: 

If so, how would I make the square peg fit in the round hole?

Smiley
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
September 01, 2015, 06:22:08 PM
I have one hooked to my S4 and the high whine can be heard above the S4 fans.  I believe the back 2 fans on the S4 are the same used on the S5.  So yes it can be heard. 
Thank you, that is what I wanted to know.
September 01, 2015, 02:23:03 PM
I have one hooked to my S4 and the high whine can be heard above the S4 fans.  I believe the back 2 fans on the S4 are the same used on the S5.  So yes it can be heard. 
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
September 01, 2015, 12:57:07 PM
Is noisy these psu?..Huh.

It is a server psu.... and 1600 watt's.  I think it is safe to assume it makes some noise Smiley.

Normally when you look into most server PSU's noise is not a huge factor as far as what they worry about.
This is confusing, Dogie said that he could not notice the fan noise at all with this unit? So which one is it? I would really like to know how loud this unit is. Would it be as loud as the S5's fitted with custom fans?
Activity: 68
Merit: 11
August 30, 2015, 02:30:22 AM
Here is  the full review of this power supply on CYBTC English site

http://www.cybtc.org/article-86-1.html
August 23, 2015, 12:30:46 AM
Here is my dryer receptacle and plug, I believe these are US standard.

I was looking at this Pdu from CL which I can get for $25:

http://www.amazon.com/Compaq-Power-Distribution-Voltage-NA-only/dp/B0007RAOX4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440215910&sr=8-1&keywords=compaq+pdu

It's 16 amp max.  My question is it comes with the twist-lock plug is there an adapter so I don't have to change receptacles?  This is temporary just to test this S4.  The pdu's all come with a different style plug as well, do I need a special cord from psu to pdu?

Edit:  Found some of my answers.  I have an older house so I have 3 prong 220v outlet for my dryer after 2000 all homes were wired with 4 prong outlets per standard.  Found adapters from psu to pdu (C13 to C14) and a 3 prong to 3 prong twist-lock adapter, which most pdu's seem to have.  But what I need to know most is does a 220v pdu output in 220v or is it 120v?  My APW3-12-1600 only runs on 205-240v.  Any help would be appreciated.

I can't say for sure all PDU's do it.  But yes a 240/220 PDU putting out 220/240 is kinda the point.  You want access to a lot of power.    

How many of these do you plan on running?  If multiple you might see how many amp your breaker is putting out to the PDU.  I know when I put my 240 in I specifically went with 30 amp breaker to get a good amount of electricity through it.

It's a 30 amp breaker and this is temporary just so I can test this Bitmain psu.  I will get the pdu off of CL and the adapters needed and try it in a day or two.
legendary
Activity: 1456
August 23, 2015, 12:15:27 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Compaq-Power-Distribution-Voltage-NA-only/dp/B0007RAOX4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440215910&sr=8-1&keywords=compaq+pdu

It's 16 amp max.  My question is it comes with the twist-lock plug is there an adapter so I don't have to change receptacles?  This is temporary just to test this S4.  The pdu's all come with a different style plug as well, do I need a special cord from psu to pdu?

Edit:  Found some of my answers.  I have an older house so I have 3 prong 220v outlet for my dryer after 2000 all homes were wired with 4 prong outlets per standard.  Found adapters from psu to pdu (C13 to C14) and a 3 prong to 3 prong twist-lock adapter, which most pdu's seem to have.  But what I need to know most is does a 220v pdu output in 220v or is it 120v?  My APW3-12-1600 only runs on 205-240v.  Any help would be appreciated.

I can't say for sure all PDU's do it.  But yes a 240/220 PDU putting out 220/240 is kinda the point.  You want access to a lot of power.    

How many of these do you plan on running?  If multiple you might see how many amp your breaker is putting out to the PDU.  I know when I put my 240 in I specifically went with 30 amp breaker to get a good amount of electricity through it.
August 22, 2015, 01:58:38 PM

Edit:  Found some of my answers.  I have an older house so I have 3 prong 220v outlet for my dryer after 2000 all homes were wired with 4 prong outlets per standard.  Found adapters from psu to pdu (C13 to C14) and a 3 prong to 3 prong twist-lock adapter, which most pdu's seem to have.  But what I need to know most is does a 220v pdu output in 220v or is it 120v?  My APW3-12-1600 only runs on 205-240v.  Any help would be appreciated.

Activity: 47
Merit: 0
August 22, 2015, 06:52:37 AM
Mine arrived from China with all the PCI cables despite asking for ring connectors

Have wired it up using the switch board provided and it works fine - now looking to tidy up the cables and find place to position the power unit.

Will post photos when I get it done. was thinking of fixing it to the outside - however seeing Meeches attempts might see if it will fit inside somehow
legendary
Activity: 1456
August 22, 2015, 12:25:49 AM

Well received the APW3-12-1600 in exchange for a non-working replacement they first sent. It is long, don't think for a minute of bolting it to the case. 

Mine was sent from Denver and had the ring terminal connectors already installed - Thanks Yoshi!

Originally thought of mounting it on top and placing a bracket underneath but as you see
it fits so tightly in there that the ribbon cables have no room to run to the top hashing board.

I will just settle for now laying it in sideways and having it hang 2" past the case.
note:  The mounting holes on the psu in no way match the case.

Question?  The psu came with no cord.  I'm no voltage expert but wondered what cord do I need to plug this
into my dryer outlet or adapter (220v).  (I know not to run both at the same time) but for testing.  The psu itself takes
the similiar type size as any psu but are there differences I should know about?

I was surprised with it's compact size.  It is long but not tall.   Just when I opened it I was expecting it to be more boxy i guess.

I would suggest getting a cheap PDU.  Go from PSU to PDU.  It works very nice and gives you space to put multiple easy.

Are you able to take a picture of your outlet? 
August 21, 2015, 10:28:16 PM

Well received the APW3-12-1600 in exchange for a non-working replacement they first sent. It is long, don't think for a minute of bolting it to the case. 

Mine was sent from Denver and had the ring terminal connectors already installed - Thanks Yoshi!

Originally thought of mounting it on top and placing a bracket underneath but as you see
it fits so tightly in there that the ribbon cables have no room to run to the top hashing board.

I will just settle for now laying it in sideways and having it hang 2" past the case.
note:  The mounting holes on the psu in no way match the case.

Question?  The psu came with no cord.  I'm no voltage expert but wondered what cord do I need to plug this
into my dryer outlet or adapter (220v).  (I know not to run both at the same time) but for testing.  The psu itself takes
the similiar type size as any psu but are there differences I should know about?
August 18, 2015, 04:11:29 PM
When you do install it in the S4 could you post a pic.?  Interested in seeing how well it bolts up to the case.

Edit: I receive mine on friday and will post pics of it and how it fits in the S4 case this weekend.
I may make a faceplate to help it mount to the case in the coming week.
August 18, 2015, 02:33:28 PM
You any idea how to connect up this 'switch board'?

What remains unclear to you?
S4 Power_Board V1.0

From left to right + -  , + - , + - , + -

OK I maybe thick but here goes  Wink

Any 8 PCI's from the PSU can fit in the board?
Any of the remaining 4 can fit in the controller?

Using the old cables from the PSU - do I separate all the cables strip each end and fit them in board as indicated?

Any cables can to to the blades as long as they are gnd to gnd and 12v to 12v?

Or is there a specific order?

The server psu has one rail I believe so it doesn't matter in what order you hook up the wires unlike some atx psu's.
August 17, 2015, 04:43:39 PM

S4 Power_Board V1.0

OK I maybe thick but here goes  Wink

Any 8 PCI's from the PSU can fit in the board?
Any of the remaining 4 can fit in the controller?

Using the old cables from the PSU - do I separate all the cables strip each end and fit them in board as indicated?

Any cables can to to the blades as long as they are gnd to gnd and 12v to 12v?

Or is there a specific order?
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003
August 17, 2015, 04:06:59 PM

S4 Power_Board V1.0

August 17, 2015, 02:43:50 PM
August 17, 2015, 12:09:42 PM
Thanks.  When I looked in the past they didn't have that option.  Yes, the S5+ is a beast for power.
Pages:
Jump to: