Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitmain Antminer S6 and S7 Speculation - page 6. (Read 33372 times)

alh
legendary
Activity: 1844
Merit: 1050
The expectation to date though has been that the "S7" would involve a new ASIC (e.g. BM1386), and NOT a new board with S5-class chips on it (the S5++ moniker).

This would certainly fit the S4+ model which was an "S4 do-over" with only the boards guys doing the work, and the ASIC guys sitting on the bench.

Good thing this a speculation thread, as we won't really know until they announce specs, or ship on to somebody outside of Antpool.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
Based on stuff that Bitmain has posted in various places, I am sure that what they are doing is replaceing the S5s in their own farm with S7s and selling off the used S5s.
 I suspect when they run low on the S5s is when they'll start selling S7s retail, though there MIGHT be some overlap.
legendary
Activity: 4172
Merit: 8075
'The right to privacy matters'
what if s7 will come out ~December! Shocked Shocked Shocked

they should arrive nov 1. You read it here first
A guess or insider knowledge? Nov 1st isn't bad and would be nice but if the price is too high it could cut into some extra christmas money and I can't have that lol.

A guess on what I would do if I was building s-7's to replace my s-5's.  everytime I sold 100 s-5's I would put in some new s-7's

especially if I was using s-5 chips.  we know an s-5 chips can do .31 watts  in an usb stick.

So if it can do .36watts in a s-5++  I can just sell off s-5's at high price and do an easy swap to s-5++

As the owner of bitmaintech I have no need to do a better chip.  thus no risk of the ½ing issues.

If I am lucky ai can have my entire farm swapped by early nov.   and then put the s-5++ up for sale.  people will buy gear at .36watts.
alh
legendary
Activity: 1844
Merit: 1050

So much for "The summer of 2015 for new ASIC miners". Do you think Bitmain will have sold all of it's existing S5 "well tested and mining for months" stock? What will they sell if the completely sell out of their "used, sold as new" S5 hardware?
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

they share the same efficiency if i' not mistaken and s6 was supposed to coem out this month, i would release both together, if they do not differ in xx nm productive processing
Activity: 14
Merit: 0

Activity: 742
Merit: 500
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000
I would like to see an S5e with the design geared towards very best J/GH at a sensible price. So still based on the existing 1384, chip rather than a more expensive 1386 chip. Chain mode but able to run at 12V, so 20 chips / chain, (0.6V) or more if that improved the J/GH? Needs them to sort whatever is preventing the S5 running at 0.6V?

If it could get close to the chip spec of 0.249J/GH  @ 0.6V this would give a best in class efficiency Miner which I think for the Home User is what we need.

So with 2 boards this would give only 330GH, with very low consumption to see us through a few difficulty increases. Then also a S5e+ version with 4 boards and 660GH?

People could still choose to return it to higher hash rates by increasing the voltage.  Smiley

Rich

330GH and only 82 watts eh.. that would be pretty freaking amazing.
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023
Mine at Jonny's Pool
There wont be an S6. They jump to the S7and we are around 2 month before launch.
Thats what they told me.

They are selling used S5 miners right now (I assume from their own mines). Naturally, they are probably replacing those miners with new (S7), otherwise why bother.
In two months they might start sales, but I have no doubt that during these two months they will be delivering from factory to themselves and mining with unannounced New miners-that 80PH jump in hashing speed very nicely coincided with used S5 sales announcement-don't you think?.
After 1-2 mo, they will sell to us, probably a mixture of brand new and from their mine.
That's exactly why they're selling off the old S5 stock: it's been replaced by newer gear.  There's no way Bitmain is just emptying out their datacenters to just "get ready" for the new gear.  It's already there, or those S5s would still be mining away and not for sale.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001
There wont be an S6. They jump to the S7and we are around 2 month before launch.
Thats what they told me.

They are selling used S5 miners right now (I assume from their own mines). Naturally, they are probably replacing those miners with new (S7), otherwise why bother.
In two months they might start sales, but I have no doubt that during these two months they will be delivering from factory to themselves and mining with unannounced New miners-that 80PH jump in hashing speed very nicely coincided with used S5 sales announcement-don't you think?.
After 1-2 mo, they will sell to us, probably a mixture of brand new and from their mine.

That's a pretty good assumption, however I think in 1-2 months they won't be selling mixture, it'll all be used and the new gear they rotate out to their personal farm to "test" for later batches
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 3848
Thats what they told me.

Activity: 588
Merit: 500
I would like to see an S5e with the design geared towards very best J/GH at a sensible price. So still based on the existing 1384, chip rather than a more expensive 1386 chip. Chain mode but able to run at 12V, so 20 chips / chain, (0.6V) or more if that improved the J/GH? Needs them to sort whatever is preventing the S5 running at 0.6V?

If it could get close to the chip spec of 0.249J/GH  @ 0.6V this would give a best in class efficiency Miner which I think for the Home User is what we need.

So with 2 boards this would give only 330GH, with very low consumption to see us through a few difficulty increases. Then also a S5e+ version with 4 boards and 660GH?

People could still choose to return it to higher hash rates by increasing the voltage.  Smiley

Rich
Activity: 165
Merit: 100
Thats what they told me.
This correlates with what doggie said that the S4+ was the S6 and we aren't going to see one, but I the 2 month before launch is new information. Did they say if it was a new chip by any chance?

Last I heard is that it might take another month or two, with no concrete ETA. I don't think anything is coming in July like we expected.
Thats what they told me.

Yes, what I heard as well.
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
Thats what they told me.
Activity: 49
Merit: 0
Perhaps they're building "next gen" machines and using them to replace S5s in their cloud operations, then turning around and selling the used S5s as "new"?

Hmmmmm - where have we heard THAT sort of thing *cough KNC cough* before?

They never claimed the hashnest S5's are new, so that can very well be the case. They have probably been selling used units in hashnest for a while, but as long as there are no issues of them breaking, etc.. I guess it doesn't really hurt anyone.

As long as its a discounted price and not marketed as new I have to agree.

No doubt the chips lifespan will be reduced having been run professionally 24/7 so I would hope very discounted prices.
Perhaps they're building "next gen" machines and using them to replace S5s in their cloud operations, then turning around and selling the used S5s as "new"?

They never claimed the hashnest S5's are new, so that can very well be the case. They have probably been selling used units in hashnest for a while, but as long as there are no issues of them breaking, etc.. I guess it doesn't really hurt anyone.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

Bitmain's site is now claiming to be out of Batch 5 on the S5. I suspect they now have incentive to get around to releasing whatever is next, since they appear to have managed to clean out their old stuff despite their price gouging price raises this month.

I'm seeing batch 5 inventory on their main site (it let me add 400 to cart) and over 1,100 units via hashnest.
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
Then I'll wait for the S8, because the S4+ was a disappointment. Overpriced and inefficient. On an absolute scale, the efficiency actually wasn't so bad, but when you compare it to what they could have done for the same price (using chips that were not over a year old) the product was sort of an insult. Maybe they're starting a new trend of using old chips on the S[even] at higher density and lower clock, where the S8 will appear in six months with BM1384 on it, not be competetive with much else being sold at the same time, and cost three times the S7 price for 2.5 times the S7 performance at 120% the S7 power consumption per unit but hey it has an internal PSU.
Pages:
Jump to: