Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitmain Antminer S6 and S7 Speculation - page 4. (Read 33372 times)

legendary
Activity: 4172
Merit: 8075
'The right to privacy matters'
August 17, 2015, 07:08:06 PM
Based on Bitmain's past record of reusing design work, I'd bet the S7 will be same form factor and same front/back plates as the S3/S5.
I'd go 80/20 on 2 hash boards vs. 3 like the "S5+".
I'd bet on it being 1KW power consumption or less, but not on HOW much less.
Definitely new chip with better specs - but how much better is a good question, and a high probability they'll run the chip at or very close to it's LEAST efficient point to maximize hash rate NOT efficiency.

Price, actual hash rate, power consumption, and date of first shipment are the big questions right now.
 Chip technology doesn't really matter except indirectly in how it affects the hash rate and power consumption.

The S5+ is perfectly practical with 110V - I have no clue why people keep saying it needs 220. You DON'T have to run it from a single power supply after all.
 I do still think the S5+ should have been called the S6 though, even if it's not really rack-mount form factor it's CLOSE.

I don't think the S5+ has a direct effect on when the S7 will go on sale - I think the only real holdup on the S7 right now is Bitmain clearing out all of their "used farm/Hashnest" S5 units as they get them replaced by S7 (or perhaps S8 or "S7+) units.

The people complain because it needs 2x 220-240v for optimal efficiency and also because 220v is more efficient, about 2% less waste, which at 90% is a 20% reduction in waste, up to 40%. Etc.

We could see a s7 be at around 0.8kWh for like 2.5TH. We'll see.

the s7 won't come out for months. 

There is a good chance s-5++  can be made to run downclocked to 4.75th and use 1800 watts  that translates to .375 watts a gh.

I will be ordering an s-5+ this weekend and try to test the findings out from this thread.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/antminer-s5-underclock-undervolt-best-jgh-1151460

if it tests as expected the s-5 generation has a lot of life left to it.

No need for bitmaintech to sell s-7's

They will off load all s-5's and s-5+'s for months to come.  and if the mods allowing for lower power use pan out  we will not see a s-7 until Jan or feb.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
August 17, 2015, 05:53:11 PM
Based on Bitmain's past record of reusing design work, I'd bet the S7 will be same form factor and same front/back plates as the S3/S5.
Definitely new chip with better specs - but how much better is a good question, and a high probability they'll run the chip at or very close to it's LEAST efficient point to maximize hash rate NOT efficiency.

Price, actual hash rate, power consumption, and date of first shipment are the big questions right now.
 Chip technology doesn't really matter except indirectly in how it affects the hash rate and power consumption.

The S5+ is perfectly practical with 110V - I have no clue why people keep saying it needs 220. You DON'T have to run it from a single power supply after all.
 I do still think the S5+ should have been called the S6 though, even if it's not really rack-mount form factor it's CLOSE.

I don't think the S5+ has a direct effect on when the S7 will go on sale - I think the only real holdup on the S7 right now is Bitmain clearing out all of their "used farm/Hashnest" S5 units as they get them replaced by S7 (or perhaps S8 or "S7+) units.

The people complain because it needs 2x 220-240v for optimal efficiency and also because 220v is more efficient, about 2% less waste, which at 90% is a 20% reduction in waste, up to 40%. Etc.

We could see a s7 be at around 0.8kWh for like 2.5TH. We'll see.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
August 17, 2015, 05:47:40 PM

alh
legendary
Activity: 1844
Merit: 1050
August 17, 2015, 03:43:06 PM
I also want to add that we know absolutely nothing about the S7. We don't know it's price, hashrate, power consumption, size/shape, date for 1st shipment, or chip technology. While I am willing to bet that it will be newer chips than the BM1384 for the S5 and S5+, we should probably not take it for grated it will be "home miner friendly". Every body seems to be assuming it will follow the pattern of the S1/S3/S5 in terms of form factor, and 120V usable power consumption.

I too was assuming that to be the case, though the S5+ makes me wonder. If we had a run a speculative poll of what an S5+ would have looked like back in June, who would have predicted the beast that was delivered? I think it would have been a "kindler, gentler, quieter, more efficient" S5, rather than three S5 frames bolted together with 3 blades per frame and 2x the fans, all at least as loud as the S5, practical only with 220V power.

I hope the S5+ doesn't mark a turn to "data center or farm" mining only. It might though.
legendary
August 16, 2015, 01:15:29 AM
They are selling S5+ now, that means we won't see S7's in a short time. Maybe after Christmas?

It was supposed to by July, but with this we can speculate getting them by as far as November. We'll just have to wait and see i guess.
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
August 16, 2015, 12:31:14 AM
They are selling S5+ now, that means we won't see S7's in a short time. Maybe after Christmas?
Activity: 165
Merit: 100
August 15, 2015, 11:10:59 PM

This ain't the S6 or S7, however.

We're still waiting for the news from Bitmain that was supposed to be here last month.

Yup, but still pretty big news of a new unit from them. Unfortunately, with the sound decibels and power usage, the S5+ will be hard to use outside of a true data center.
legendary
August 15, 2015, 11:06:47 PM

This ain't the S6 or S7, however.

We're still waiting for the news from Bitmain that was supposed to be here last month.
Activity: 165
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 1124
August 07, 2015, 06:39:10 PM
Are you ready for some details about S5+?  Wink

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.12076285
I hope that is a personal mod and not a real thing coming from bitmain as it would be quite the disappointment instead of a sleek S7, I am done with the +'s.

Um, yeah. Definitively. I want something small factor and easily modable (sound wise mostly). And ideally something stackable. And this is definitively not what i would be looking for...
Hopefully this is just one of the few experiments that Bitmain has done and will decide to not release (just like they did with the S2 upgrade kits) The people want a new miner and a new chip!

Ah, c'mon, just some of them for having fun would be good.
legendary
August 07, 2015, 02:31:00 PM

I hope that is a personal mod and not a real thing coming from bitmain as it would be quite the disappointment instead of a sleek S7, I am done with the +'s.

Um, yeah. Definitively. I want something small factor and easily modable (sound wise mostly). And ideally something stackable. And this is definitively not what i would be looking for...
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004
August 07, 2015, 11:56:03 AM
This could be really nice. But damn it take a lot of power. Any idea if they will do a 2 modules or 1 modules model?
Any ETA ?  Grin
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076
BTCLife.global participant
August 07, 2015, 05:19:25 AM

mez
Activity: 197
August 06, 2015, 06:07:01 PM
soon ™
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004
August 06, 2015, 05:20:39 PM
Really curious to see the S6 or S7. Been a long time since the last gear!
legendary
Activity: 4172
Merit: 8075
'The right to privacy matters'
August 06, 2015, 02:59:25 PM
if bitmain is firing up s-6/7 to replace the used s-5's they are selling.  It would account for hash rate drop the last few days.

They also can time taking the s-5's offline right before the diff changes thus making the next diff 3% less.  it does appear they did this.

but none of us can be sure unless the network grows a lot on the next adjustment.
legendary
August 06, 2015, 02:08:13 PM
I'd tend to agree that the noticeable drop was probably related to Bitmain - but I'd guess it was "pulled the August 5 batch to ship it" machines, not pull machines that aren't due to ship for almost a week, given the actual timing and the timing on WHEN they shipped that "August 5" batch.

I would doubt so. I received the tracking number and confirmed the package was in UPS hands at the same time it spiked. I do not think the machine can teleport from the mine, while in use, to packaged and in UPS's hands within minutes.

But it is possible after making room in the storage, they went back to their mine and started unplugging more stuff and then plugging new stuff, refilling the storage with more S5s.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
August 06, 2015, 05:44:16 AM
I'd tend to agree that the noticeable drop was probably related to Bitmain - but I'd guess it was "pulled the August 5 batch to ship it" machines, not pull machines that aren't due to ship for almost a week, given the actual timing and the timing on WHEN they shipped that "August 5" batch.
legendary
August 05, 2015, 10:42:30 PM
Noon yesterday net hashrate was 413 and today it's 296.  Is the big swing from Bitmain, KnC or the hot weather?

Hmm luck affect the guessed network hashrate too, i wouldn't go saying Bitmain went and offlined 100PH in a shot. It's not 296 today either, look more like 360. But its possible they onlined a bunch of hardware yesterday and offlined a batch of S5 today to be ready to ship for the 14th+ august date.

I find the up spike and then down spike exactly syncing with bitmain's S5 event days pretty funny. And maybe suggest that Bitmain is truly doing what everything think they are doing...

Price: 440.0 USD(1.55783314฿)  Stock: 177

Slowly getting to 0.

They can replenish the stock at anytime, too.

Read your post, went back and looked at the graph (https://blockchain.info/charts/hash-rate?timespan=30days&showDataPoints=false&daysAverageString=1&show_header=true&scale=0&address=) and see I was wrong.  Looked at my daily notes and see I must have misread the chart, having the wrong info recorded.  The chart indicates it dropped to 327.

Indeed, though the values are always guesstimates from the network blockrate. Nevertheless it still looks like the rate dropped sharply exactly at the time where they shipped me a batch, as if they offlined a batch after finishing preparing and offloading the last batch.

Also i use this website to track the hashrate and diff; https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/difficulty
soy
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013
August 05, 2015, 09:54:14 PM
Noon yesterday net hashrate was 413 and today it's 296.  Is the big swing from Bitmain, KnC or the hot weather?

Hmm luck affect the guessed network hashrate too, i wouldn't go saying Bitmain went and offlined 100PH in a shot. It's not 296 today either, look more like 360. But its possible they onlined a bunch of hardware yesterday and offlined a batch of S5 today to be ready to ship for the 14th+ august date.

I find the up spike and then down spike exactly syncing with bitmain's S5 event days pretty funny. And maybe suggest that Bitmain is truly doing what everything think they are doing...

Price: 440.0 USD(1.55783314฿)  Stock: 177

Slowly getting to 0.

They can replenish the stock at anytime, too.

Read your post, went back and looked at the graph (https://blockchain.info/charts/hash-rate?timespan=30days&showDataPoints=false&daysAverageString=1&show_header=true&scale=0&address=) and see I was wrong.  Looked at my daily notes and see I must have misread the chart, having the wrong info recorded.  The chart indicates it dropped to 327.
Pages:
Jump to: