Pages:
Author

Topic: BitMarket.Eu has closed down - page 43. (Read 204067 times)

Activity: 607
Merit: 500
September 18, 2011, 12:55:18 PM
Well, the system that will aid this situation is in the works. Stay tuned. As for your situation, I'll give it a look.
Activity: 334
Merit: 250
September 17, 2011, 11:45:19 AM
Hi, can you send us a screenshot with this to our email address ([email protected])? Thanks in advance Smiley.

Sent.

And I DEMAND to unfreeze my 15 BTC from transactions with unresponsive buyers NOW. It is absolutely unacceptable that I have my BTC frozen for almost 10 days now.

I promise not to put any offers that match existing Bid (buy) offers any more, until some system is in place for enforcement of buyers payment. I will only put sell offers which don't match current buy orders. I strongly recommend anyone to do the same, as lots of buyers will just never pay if the price of BTC dropped, and you'll be left with your BTC frozen for a few days, unable to sell them to anyone else. I lost too much money on this. I quit selling this way.
September 17, 2011, 11:00:13 AM
Hi, can you send us a screenshot with this to our email address ([email protected])? Thanks in advance Smiley.
September 15, 2011, 06:10:04 PM
[NEW] On transactions list, you'll see now your business partners' usernames, and clicking on them will take you to your default email client with their email filled in

Now on the transactions list, the "Date" and "Status" columns data span across two lines, which makes the whole table look terrible. At least in Chrome. Can you try to fix the CSS, so the Date and Status are single-line, and the table is nice as before?
September 14, 2011, 07:07:21 PM
[CHANGED] When you place an offer and it matches another offer partly, leaving it with amount less than minimal, this offer will be cancelled and funds returned (if any)
[FIXED] Problems with displaying numbers (exponential values) are now gone
[FIXED] Values have now consistent format, dot is now site-wide decimal separator

Great.

There should be an option for the user to specify what is the minimum amount he is willing to trade. Some users are OK with trading single BTCs, while others might only want to bother with a 10 or 50 BTC, and don't want the order to be partially filler. Especially if the user is paying with an international wire, which costs an equivalent of 1 or 2 BTC, and then his 100 BTC order will get partially filled by 2 BTC - that will only lead to a cancellation and waste of time, which could be avoided if the user could specify the minimum size.

In fact the minimum size should be specified by the user separately for national, SEPA and international transfers, which all can have different prices (for example: national - FREE, SEPA - 1 EUR, international 10 EUR).
September 14, 2011, 05:23:39 PM
Changes and new features on BitMarket.eu

The scheduled maintenance went all good. Thanks for everyone and sorry that it took so long! We believe that everything's in order, but if you notice any strange behaviour or some errors possibly in your account or in numeric values on the site, please let us know immediately!

Now for what's new/changed:

[NEW] You can now select your default currency that will display first when you go to Market section. To view all offers, click on Market link again.
[NEW] On transactions list, you'll see now your business partners' usernames, and clicking on them will take you to your default email client with their email filled in
[CHANGED] When you place an offer and it matches another offer partly, leaving it with amount less than minimal, this offer will be cancelled and funds returned (if any)
[FIXED] Problems with displaying numbers (exponential values) are now gone
[FIXED] Values have now consistent format, dot is now site-wide decimal separator

That's all, for now. But stay tuned for much bigger update. Next stop: rating system!
September 14, 2011, 03:21:39 AM
Scheduled maintenance on BitMarket.eu

Tonight (Wednesday), at 20:00 UTC, we will have a scheduled maintenance on BitMarket.eu. This maintenance will include updating our engine to new one. This change will fix some long standing bugs on our site, like small "leftover" offers or improper number formatting in Offers, Transactions and Market sections, as well as some small new features. We have tested this new engine for several days now in test environment and we're pretty confident that it's now bug free.

Now, I know that "updating to the new engine" sounds scary, that's why we decided to let you know what steps we will take to assure you that we know what we're doing. These may sound obvious to some, but we feel that for others this kind of transparency will bring some peace of mind.

At 20:00 UTC we will bring the site in maintenance mode. We will announce that in the forums and on our Twitter account. Then we'll make backup of our software and members, offers and transactions database in case when something's go wrong.
Then we will upgrade our engine and database schema to reflect the changes. After this is done, we will begin to test every feature of the site in live environment (which will still be in maintenance mode for everyone else) and after the testing is done - site will be restored. After that we will still monitor the situation to make sure everything works as expected. The maintenance should end around 22:00 UTC, but we will announce via Twitter if we need more (or maybe less) time for this.

If you have any questions about this process, please feel free to ask.
September 07, 2011, 05:58:13 PM
Exactly. We will remove them shortly.

On another topic: We have created a community support site at GetSatisfaction.com. We encourage everyone to try it. If it takes off, it will be our primary channel of communication (we will still answer emails, but you will probably get answers quicker there).

Edit: All offers with Paypal are now removed. Of course any pending frozen funds (from ASK offers) are back to their owners.

Edit 2: Paxum added as supported payment type on BitMarket.eu!
Activity: 395
September 07, 2011, 03:57:30 PM
it's old ones that havent been removed, yet. Look at when they were entered....
Activity: 490
Merit: 251
September 07, 2011, 11:28:24 AM
If PayPal is no longer supported, which I think is a good decision, then why do I still see bids on BitMarket.eu with PayPal as the payment method?
Activity: 69
Merit: 10
September 03, 2011, 11:21:15 AM
Exactly what I was was looking for. Thank you very much.
September 03, 2011, 11:12:23 AM
What do I do about my payment details/bank details?

Am I supposed to put my banks name and my account number in the the following section in my account page "Message sent when someone buys your BTC". Or do I create the offer and then send my details once my offer has been accepted?

Of course your put your account number in the "Message sent when someone buys your BTC". I have there (below the standard text "Please pay {TOTAL} ...":

Account owner:
Firstname Lastname

Bank IBAN (with spaces):
XX 11 2222 3333 0000 0000 5555 9999

Bank IBAN (without spaces):
XX11222233330000000055559999

BIC (bank SWIFT code):
XXXXAAZZ

Bank name:
MY BANK NAME

I repeat the IBAN account number both with spaces and without, first version is easier for people who type it in by hand, second is easier for people who select, cut & paste it.
Activity: 69
Merit: 10
September 03, 2011, 10:48:56 AM
I'm hoping some here could help me.

I'm looking to make my first BTC sale on Bitcoin market. I have been verified and have deposited 30 BTC into my account. I am ready to make an offer but there is one thing I am unsure of.

What do I do about my payment details/bank details?

Am I supposed to put my banks name and my account number in the the following section in my account page "Message sent when someone buys your BTC". Or do I create the offer and then send my details once my offer has been accepted?
Activity: 49
Merit: 0
August 30, 2011, 05:43:07 AM
I'm pretty sure, that if you agreed to the deal, he wouldn't really send you a wire. He'd send you a faked scan of confirmation of sending a wire, and try to make you release the goods based just on that fake JPG/PDF or something like that. A wire would never appear on your account.

Excellent call. But that doesn't change the fact that I clearly remember reading about this very technique on a car auction site. Belgian car auction sites warn for foreign money transfers to this day, though they don't clearly state why. But please, as I've said several times already, I'm merely reproducing info that I read on some anti-fraud site a couple of years ago. What you think of it, well that's up to you.
August 30, 2011, 04:50:22 AM
I don't know my dear friend, even though you may think I invented this shit, I just read it somewhere that this is possible, because 2 years ago I was utmost suspicious of some Cote d'Ivoire'ian who wanted to *wire* me through 3000 EUR for a car barely worth half that... (Yes, to my bank account).

I'm pretty sure, that if you agreed to the deal, he wouldn't really send you a wire. He'd send you a faked scan of confirmation of sending a wire, and try to make you release the goods based just on that fake JPG/PDF or something like that. A wire would never appear on your account.
August 30, 2011, 04:35:51 AM
I don't know my dear friend, even though you may think I invented this... I just read it somewhere that this kind of thing is possible, since 2 years ago I was utmost suspicious of some Cote d'Ivoire'ian who wanted to *wire* me through 3000 EUR for a car barely worth half that... (Yes, to my bank account). Why don't you ask the scammers in Africa? I'm sure they are more knowledgeable on the subject... Wink But according to your logic: Why are scammers active at all on the car market? I mean, they could just deposit all of their stolen cheques on a 'fakename' bank account and then cash it/withdraw it before they discover the fake/hijacked ID used to open the account, right? Maybe the banks would recognize their face after showing up for the gazillionth time, and there are only so many banks in the neighborhood?

Btw2: How about those invalid orders clogging up the orderbook?
August 29, 2011, 02:55:44 PM
No, I was very surprised that it is even possible, and I remember explicitly reading that this is the way it works: An account is opened with forged/fake/stolen ID, stolen/fake cheques are deposited and these funds are then used to make wire transfers. There are banks that deposit cheque funds immediately with a later value date, and they always reserve the right to debit the account in the event that the cheque is fraudulent, indefinitely. If they can't find the actual account owner, it wouldn't surprise me that they will request the money back from the target bank.

Again: why would the scammer wire the funds anywhere, instead of just withdrawing it from the account in cash?

I am not talking about cashing the cheque - I am talking about depositing the cheque into the account, and then withdrawing the cash from the account. If the bank will allow a wire, they will allow to withdraw too. Funds on the account are either available or unavailable, they can't be just available for wire, but not available to withdraw - that wouldn't make any sense, and I never seen a situation like that. So the whole story doesn't make sense, as its much simpler for the scammer just to withdraw the cash from the account.

Anyway if forged cheques are deposited on the account, that's just the risk of the bank which carelessly accepted such deposit, and that bank will have to eat the loss - nobody else. Or maybe the employee who accepted the cheque. The bank might contact the bank receiving the wire to ask the receiver of the wire some questions, which might help him finding the person who deposited the cheque, buy they'd have to sue me and prove in court that I was the person who deposited the cheque or acted in cooperation with him with prior knowledge that I was willingly participating in a scam. That's what can happen. But money from the wire just disappearing from the account? Any bank which would do that could be sued by the account holder and I'm confident the customer would win, unless the bank has some proof I was knowingly involved in the scam, for example a video recording of me depositing the forged cheque at the other bank.
August 29, 2011, 02:39:34 PM
No, I was very surprised that it is even possible, and I remember explicitly reading that this is the way it works: An account is opened with forged/fake/stolen ID, stolen/fake cheques are deposited and these funds are then used to make wire transfers. There are banks that deposit cheque funds immediately with a later value date, and they always reserve the right to debit the account in the event that the cheque is fraudulent, indefinitely. If they can't find the actual account owner, it wouldn't surprise me that they will request the money back from the target bank. True, since SEPA entered into action, the bank is always responsible unless the client was severely negligent, so chances of it still happening these days and in the EU... Just pointing out that it's not holy.

Btw, there are still a bunch of buy orders with Paypal only cluttering up the orderbook, some even without payment option, is it possible to remove these?
August 29, 2011, 02:25:45 PM
It's been a couple of years so I can't recall exactly where I found out about this, but even online car auction sites mention that one should beware for foreign money transfers, so there must be some truth to it and it must have happened before.

But maybe it was warning against something like the buyer sending a scan of some confirmation of sending the transfer, and tricking the seller into releasing the good just based on that confirmation of the wire, which of course can be forged. Anyway I never seen a car website warning against INCOMING wire transfer risk for the seller.

I tried to Google "wire transfer scam", and I found this: http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum22/3377.htm which is a long discussion which concludes that its safe and there are no reversals.

About warnings for online car sellers I found this: http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/consumerprotection/scamnet/Scams/Online_car_sales_sca.html
which is only about accepting Paypal, including the buyer sending more then the price of the item by Paypal, and requesting the seller to send back the rest by wire transfer - so then the buyer will reverse the Paypal, and the seller... won't be able to reverse the wire.

I'm reasonably confident that a wire which appeared in my bank account will not disappear from there and would accept such payment for Bitcoins from a stranger without fear, perhaps waiting three days to make sure the bank doesn't contact me about something strange if the transfer was especially large, like several thousand dollars.
August 29, 2011, 06:00:52 AM
It's been a couple of years so I can't recall exactly where I found out about this, but even online car auction sites mention that one should beware for foreign money transfers, so there must be some truth to it and it must have happened before.
Pages:
Jump to: