Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitminter bitcoin mining pool - shutdown mining 2020-07-01 website 2021-06-01 - page 2. (Read 324654 times)

legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005
You'll always be my first Smiley

Thanks Doc for the great memories !!
legendary
Activity: 2405
Merit: 1459
-> morgen, ist heute, schon gestern <-
Bitminter shutdown notice
The original purpose of Bitminter was to make mining accessible to those who found other mining software difficult to operate. For many of our users mining in this pool was their first experience with bitcoin. I hope you enjoyed it and that you are still part of the bitcoin community.
Hopefully Bitminter was a useful service for you.
Best of luck for the future.

DrHaribo, you did a great job on this, you where my first atempt to mine due to your software!
Thank you for your work!

good luck to you.

o_solo_miner
legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7763
'The right to privacy matters'
Sad to see it happen.  Thank you for being the first placed I mined.
Activity: 44
Merit: 0
Real shame re: closedown - at near 300 days since a payment, it's been such a turnaround from the 5 blocks in 5 days just before!
Might as well remain until the end though, who knows might get just one more and go out with a bang.
Best of luck in future endeavours DrHaribo.
Activity: 2478
Merit: 621
Just seen the dates. I thought it was this week you will be shutting down. I will stay until the end and fingers crossed we have a last "hoorah" of a block.

Thanks again Dr Haribo!
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 4392
Be a bank
Cannot begin to thank you enough. It has been a wonderful ride. A true gentleman with a splendid mine, and an important figure in early Bitcoin. Wish you every success in your next ventures. Thank you, DrHaribo.
Its such a shame but had a feeling this would happen after the halving. Its such a shame as I have been one of the ones who started here a few years ago with a couple of Antminer USB sticks on your own mining client. It was easy to use and certainly helped me to transition to more involved mining gear.

Thank you for staying with us small/home miners. Its been a pleasure to be involved in such a dedicated pool community.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 1034
Needs more jiggawatts
Bitminter shutdown notice

The Bitminter mining pool will shut down mining activities on 2020-07-01. The website will stay up until 2021-06-01 so you can cash out any crypto currency on your account.

It is unfortunate to have to shut down after 9 years of mining. However, to keep going would not be fair to the few miners we have left in the pool. The efforts of miners who have tried to keep the pool going is greatly appreciated. But the pool has shrunk so much that we might never find another block. Attempts to bring big miners onboard did not work out.

A big thank you to everyone who mined with Bitminter over the years. This has been a grand adventure.

The original purpose of Bitminter was to make mining accessible to those who found other mining software difficult to operate. For many of our users mining in this pool was their first experience with bitcoin. I hope you enjoyed it and that you are still part of the bitcoin community.

Hopefully Bitminter was a useful service for you.

Best of luck for the future.
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Alright, gotcha, so in the 268 days, 38k-ish blocks have been found, but we've been pipped to the post by others finding them first?
No, it's not a race.
It's simply a random event based on a Poisson distribution.

Every ~4billion times you try hashing, you have a 1 in "Network Difficulty" chance of finding a block.
At the moment, "Network Difficulty" is 16,104,807,485,529.4 and it changes about every 2 weeks.
So any estimate that says more than two weeks is also very wrong.

Thus for small pools like this (and mine) it takes a long time, on average, to find a block.
legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7763
'The right to privacy matters'
Alright, gotcha, so in the 268 days, 38k-ish blocks have been found, but we've been pipped to the post by others finding them first?

yep. this is the curse of a lower hash pool.

mmpool.org.  has been mining for 23,000 hours since its last block which is almost 1,000 days
bitminer.com is over 268 days.

1ph of hash right now takes about 790.0 days to grab a block
  10ph of hash "         "    "        "       79.0 days to grab a block
100ph of hash  "       "     "        "         7.9 days to grab a block
Awh, 268 days :-(
Out of interest, is it possible to just "abort" and walk away from the block?!
Or do things not quite work like that :-D
Are other pools working on the same block at the same time?
Over time, is the chance of the block being "stale" increasing?

We aren’t working on the same block for 268 days. Everytime the network gets a block solved we essentially have to start again. On average a block is found on the network every 10mins. When that happens the “hash” that we have to calculate changes, so we essentially start again. It is purely down to luck that one of the workers on the pool will find the correct hash for each block every 10mins or so.
Awh, 268 days :-(
Out of interest, is it possible to just "abort" and walk away from the block?!
Or do things not quite work like that :-D
Are other pools working on the same block at the same time?
Over time, is the chance of the block being "stale" increasing?
This block is killing the pool :-(
Wish the %age would just go up, so there was a vague idea how long we might wait.
255 days is crazy :-(
Activity: 96
Merit: 10
Come on blockbuster!! Got to get this thing done before the halving!

Bitminer needs some more hashrate.   44 days shifts are crazy!

Also, the following needs to be corrected..

Work is measured in proofs of work. Each proof of work is given a score equal to one divided by the difficulty at the time it was submitted. Proofs of work are grouped in shifts. A shift is completed when its total score passes 0.1. <---   its at 28.0 now and still shift 1.

Come on blockbuster!! Got to get this thing done before the halving!
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220
For sport.. Power in UK on average around £0.155/kWh..
My lickle S17 eats around 2.6kWh.. So an hour of mining = £0.403..
1 day of mining = £9.672..
154 days of mining = £1,489.49..
Just need a 0.23BTC share of this next block to break even..! :-D
COME ON BLOCK YOU'RE BECOMING A PAIN IN THE BUTT.

And that's not even taking into account paying off the capital costs/shipping/VAT of buying the miner in the first place.

Mining in the UK is a lost cause really.

::kick::  ::kick::  is this thing broke??
For sport.. Power in UK on average around £0.155/kWh..
My lickle S17 eats around 2.6kWh.. So an hour of mining = £0.403..
1 day of mining = £9.672..
154 days of mining = £1,489.49..
Just need a 0.23BTC share of this next block to break even..! :-D
COME ON BLOCK YOU'RE BECOMING A PAIN IN THE BUTT.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 1034
Needs more jiggawatts
Today Bitcoin has been live for 11 years!

This would be a good day for another block.
Pages:
Jump to: