Pages:
Author

Topic: BITSTAMP eXchange wall Observer. second biggest and best exchange - page 11. (Read 89287 times)

legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014
Almost no sell orders, but everyone wants to buy. Makes for an interesting asymmetric graph Smiley

Wonder if it will go lower... Should I buy a little now or hold off for another $10...
legendary
Activity: 2926
Merit: 1131
Probably a stupid question, but why isn't there arbitrage between btce and stamp?  Like a 10$ difference (technically less than 5%).
Or for that matter, btce and coinbase, with their 1% withdrawal fee.
I don't know the reason für USD, but the € bitcoin price is too high for arbitrage. The best arbitrage in this case would be, to trade ur USD in btc-e via bitcoin to € in btc-e. Then send these € to bitstamp, convert them into USD and send the USD back to btc-e Wink

but this is not possible because of the high fees, just mention the min. 100€ withdraw fee from btc-e O.ô
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070
Probably a stupid question, but why isn't there arbitrage between btce and stamp?  Like a 10$ difference (technically less than 5%).

Because Coinbase only works within the US, and BTC-E explicitly DOESN'T work within the US, and using Bitstamp/BTC-E arb in Euro zone is probably very expensive considering all the wire fees, and the time it take to complete said wires. I mean, in the Euro Zone you could try and do it, but you'd need to do it with a huge amount to make up for the $30 wire fees in each direction, and you're effectively short Bitcoin while the wires are going on, sooooo.... Smiley

BTC-e does work with the US.

Bitstamp and BTC-e are very easy to use in the eurozone, both support SEPA deposits and withdraws (wire fees aren't necessary).

Also so far as wire time, it takes 1 night for a wire to clear...

None of what you are saying here is accurate...

Maybe the lack of bids on bitstamp near market price, giving more slippage on sells, therefore much less margin.

BTC-e charges a 1% fee to wire money. I.E. on $50k thats a $500 fee! And then Coinbase charges 1%. There are also BTC-E trading fees of around .5%.  So that 2.5% off the top. Right now you can buy on BTC at $175 and sell on Coinbase for $181.

So on 50k you would have $49250 which would buy you 281.43 BTC. On Coinbase you would have 278.61 to sell after fees for a total $50,429.

$429 profit minus lets say $45 in wire fees = $384.

That profit is not worth the risk of a market movement or the trouble of sending 50K.
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000
Probably a stupid question, but why isn't there arbitrage between btce and stamp?  Like a 10$ difference (technically less than 5%).

Because Coinbase only works within the US, and BTC-E explicitly DOESN'T work within the US, and using Bitstamp/BTC-E arb in Euro zone is probably very expensive considering all the wire fees, and the time it take to complete said wires. I mean, in the Euro Zone you could try and do it, but you'd need to do it with a huge amount to make up for the $30 wire fees in each direction, and you're effectively short Bitcoin while the wires are going on, sooooo.... Smiley

Bitstamp and BTC-e are very easy to use in the eurozone, both support SEPA deposits and withdraws (wire fees aren't necessary).

Maybe the lack of bids on bitstamp near market price, giving more slippage on sells, therefore much less margin.
Activity: 882
Merit: 501
Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

Activity: 448
Merit: 250
Probably a stupid question, but why isn't there arbitrage between btce and stamp?  Like a 10$ difference (technically less than 5%).

legendary
Activity: 896
Bitstamp down for last 3 hr?

Also the bid sum is impressive. About time it increases I suppose, though.

legendary
Activity: 1168

legendary
Activity: 1168
Anyone having a pain to load stamp pages? getting this "connection timeout" message often:

Oops!
Bitstamp is currently down

Connection timed out
The initial connection between CloudFlare's network and the origin web server timed out. As a result, the web page can not be displayed.
Ray ID: c295b67d79307ff
Your IP address: ------------
Error reference number: 522
CloudFlare Location: Singapore

Yup, seen it several times last few weeks, though refreshing the page always resolved it.
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
legendary
Activity: 1428
Anyone having a pain to load stamp pages? getting this "connection timeout" message often:

Oops!
Bitstamp is currently down

Connection timed out
The initial connection between CloudFlare's network and the origin web server timed out. As a result, the web page can not be displayed.
Ray ID: c295b67d79307ff
Your IP address: ------------
Error reference number: 522
CloudFlare Location: Singapore

legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
THank you for the explanation Wink

Is there any scenario where using the instant order is suitable over the limit order?

None other than laziness. When buying stocks I never use a market order as well and always explicitly state a limit order. Why take a chance if it takes 20 seconds to do?
Activity: 256
Merit: 100
Obv everyone should he complaining to them and telling them they will take their business elsewhere if they dont upgrade etc.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007
I missed today's (probably: flash) crash, but I traded during the SR one, and I wasn't very happy with how bitstamp handled the large volume... my order got through in the end, but their website went belly up several times in between, and overall, the experience was extremely laggy.

Preliminary remark: I like bitstamp. Good support, decent communication, I trust them.

Problem: They're not fully prepared to handle the increased volume that headed their way in the past months, IMO.

Question: Can we, the customers, do something about it? Make it known that we'll continue to support them, but we expect better performance and reaction to events than, say, mtgox?

Any suggestions?
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014
I used instant today for the first time, when the market was moving down to 160 fast and I just wanted to secure a buy. Placing a limit would have taken time and by that moment you could end up in the rebound.
Instant sell is a "market order" not a "limit order".

This.

It is essential to realize the difference between these two orders. A "market order" means that you'll leave it to the exchange to get you the best price possible. A "limit order" sets a limit to the price you're willing to buy at / sell for.

What happened in this particular case was that someone posted a huge 2K+ buy order at 210. At that point, the engine started eating up all the open sell orders below that price until it had filled this big buy order. A market sell order placed during this process was executed after the big buy was done and at that point there were no buy orders in the book above 189, which was the best price the engine could get you. If you had placed a limit order at 210, it would not have executed (since there were no buyers at this price, after the big one had processed) and it would still be in the books. An issue with this process was that the execution of the huge buy order took several minutes, which caused most of the confusion.

THank you for the explanation Wink

Is there any scenario where using the instant order is suitable over the limit order?

This.

It is essential to realize the difference between these two orders. A "market order" means that you'll leave it to the exchange to get you the best price possible. A "limit order" sets a limit to the price you're willing to buy at / sell for.

What happened in this particular case was that someone posted a huge 2K+ buy order at 210. At that point, the engine started eating up all the open sell orders below that price until it had filled this big buy order. A market sell order placed during this process was executed after the big buy was done and at that point there were no buy orders in the book above 189, which was the best price the engine could get you. If you had placed a limit order at 210, it would not have executed (since there were no buyers at this price, after the big one had processed) and it would still be in the books. An issue with this process was that the execution of the huge buy order took several minutes, which caused most of the confusion.
Woohoo the bid is up to 3 million!  It looks like some serious accumulation or fiat injection occured during that drop and we are ready to move higher with bid support.
Activity: 181
I dont get it. Im new at this :/

Under the buy/sell tab I saw a 300 bitcoin order for 210$ per when the price was lower. I hit the instant sell option and filled in the field to sell 5 btc and it showed 210$ as the price.

I went ahead and clicked sell, and then it said an open order was made to sell 5 btc at 210$.

Later I look and Ive sold 5 btc for the price of 189$! WTF??

Can someone please explain how this happened?

Thanks

Orders are not opened during the market order is going on, the order is "in progress" status.

So are you saying that if I see a order flashing green cuz its being filled, I should not try and fill it?

What about the fact that my open order was at 210$ but it sold the btc at 189$?

Thanks for your reply btw.
Pages:
Jump to: