Pages:
Author

Topic: Block chain size/storage and slow downloads for new users - page 2. (Read 228612 times)

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011
can you de-stick this thread ?

v0.10.x solve the slow network diffusion ... only SLOW blockchain creation is from CPU and HARD DRIVE SPEED issues.

Core 2 Duo 2,9GHz = 3 days to recreate the blockchain.
Activity: 219
Merit: 102
um why are people complaining about blockchain size I mean 1tb drives aren't that expensive

Check your privilege.
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
Threads like yours is helping all of us, but also tells me how complicated btc really is. Thanks for the new update though!  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000
Si vis pacem, para bellum
um why are people complaining about blockchain size I mean 1tb drives aren't that expensive

I helped a friend download the blockchain a couple of days ago and set up a node, it only took 2 days to download and about 38 GB iirc on a 1tb external drive

Might have been faster to use the torrent but we were not in a hurry anyway and the laptop was around 7 years old  so probably the cpu would have kept us from going much faster

I think most people could spare 38GB at the price drives are now, for the people who can't there is always multibit

By the time he can fill that 1tb drive, it maybe several years down the line and storage and bandwidth will be much cheaper than now
It should probably be around the same speed since there is headers-first synchronization. Just out of curiousity, did it took 2 actual days to download and what version are you using? Unless you have weak CPU and the external drives becomes a bottleneck, it should take slightly less than 1 day max.

Torrent version is quite far behind so they can still take sometime to download the remaining blocks.

Dont overestimate a 2008 system. 1000 USD got you for example an Asus X83VM-X1[1], with 2 cores, 4 Gigs of DDR2(!) ram and 320Gig HDD. That might not sound slow, but thats several CPU and 2 RAM generations old. I recently had a blackout and had to reindex the blockchain on a 2009 desktop AMD tripple core, similar HDD and RAM (only DDR3). I have no exact numbers, but I had to let it run over night, so I guess somewhere between 12 and 16 hours. Even worse it might be a netbook Wink

I agree that the torrent no longer makes sense unless you have to sync several systems and have low bandwith. Thought even in that case you could just sync the machine with the fastest CPU/storrage first and let the rest connect exclusivly to it via LAN.

[1] http://www.cnet.com/products/asus-x83vm-x1-core-2-duo-p8400-2-26-ghz-14-1-inch-tft/

It wasn't a netbook thk fck lol
It was a hp pavilion 17" entertainment laptop but spec was quite weak compared to modern equipment :
Core 2 duo @ 2.26 with 4gb  of ddr3 and a 500Gb sat and  1tb external seagate
We put Bitcoin on the external because he's going to let it run as a node until it dies and the 1tb drive should last few years Smiley
copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499
No I dont escrow anymore.

I helped a friend download the blockchain a couple of days ago and set up a node, it only took 2 days to download and about 38 GB iirc on a 1tb external drive

Might have been faster to use the torrent but we were not in a hurry anyway and the laptop was around 7 years old  so probably the cpu would have kept us from going much faster

I think most people could spare 38GB at the price drives are now, for the people who can't there is always multibit

By the time he can fill that 1tb drive, it maybe several years down the line and storage and bandwidth will be much cheaper than now
It should probably be around the same speed since there is headers-first synchronization. Just out of curiousity, did it took 2 actual days to download and what version are you using? Unless you have weak CPU and the external drives becomes a bottleneck, it should take slightly less than 1 day max.

Torrent version is quite far behind so they can still take sometime to download the remaining blocks.

Dont overestimate a 2008 system. 1000 USD got you for example an Asus X83VM-X1[1], with 2 cores, 4 Gigs of DDR2(!) ram and 320Gig HDD. That might not sound slow, but thats several CPU and 2 RAM generations old. I recently had a blackout and had to reindex the blockchain on a 2009 desktop AMD tripple core, similar HDD and RAM (only DDR3). I have no exact numbers, but I had to let it run over night, so I guess somewhere between 12 and 16 hours. Even worse it might be a netbook Wink

I agree that the torrent no longer makes sense unless you have to sync several systems and have low bandwith. Thought even in that case you could just sync the machine with the fastest CPU/storrage first and let the rest connect exclusivly to it via LAN.

[1] http://www.cnet.com/products/asus-x83vm-x1-core-2-duo-p8400-2-26-ghz-14-1-inch-tft/
legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 4158

legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Might have been faster to use the torrent but we were not in a hurry anyway and the laptop was around 7 years old  so probably the cpu would have kept us from going much faster

Activity: 350
This thread only makes me think: Bitcoin is too much. The possibilities it opens, technologies it enables - it's all just too much for businesses and governments and people to grasp easily.
Having said that, it is precisely these kinds of threads that help us digest bits and pieces.

Thanks Mike, retep, and everyone else!
As bitcoins are at early stage,it haven't get popular in the whole world.Such drawbacks becomes an issue for people to purchase or invest in bitcoins. Embarrassed
Such problem arises because of large transactions available in blockchain , those blocks take longer to verify.
If you are on an encrypted filesystem,then consider moving the blockchain and index to a filesystem that isn't encrypted and then symlink to them there.
Overcomming with such problems, a future version (after 0.7) will include LevelDB which should make huge gains as far as performance.
In the meantime, you can always securely download a full set of blockchain data from Sourceforge that is as-of a fairly recent point in time. Grin
Activity: 438
Activity: 18
Merit: 0
Hi all i did not realise that when i installed bit-coin core that it was going to take so much room, and resources.
I installed it on my laptop, yet i have a tower sitting next to my miners that is doing nothing, also it has alot more Ram and space than this laptop, Bit-coin core has crashed on me yesterday, we bit of a panic as i see no bitcoins in my wallet, but after a little reading up they should show up after it has finished re-indexing the blocks on the disk,  Undecided I hope anyway, also hit my first bitcoin after 8 months. Taken a long time for bitcore to catch up.
Activity: 219
Merit: 102
Aight but the whole "be your own bank" thing depends on you maintaining your own full node. Otherwise you might as well be using PayPal. It doesn't do much good signing transactions if you don't also have a record of all the other transactions. I mean, centralized services could just as easily implement a "sign a message with a key" option for authorizing account actions. The whole point of bitcoin is keeping track of the public ledger so that nobody can get away with inflating the supply of money or double spending already spent outputs. These are the things that you cannot do, and by my estimation this makes you *not* a bitcoin user.

+1.

I have come in pretty late to this thread but your post is pretty much my view. Bitcoin is peddled as a decentralised payment system and all the latest decisions seem to be pushing it closer to centralised. The proliferation of web wallets and exchanges means that you don't need a client to *use* bitcoin - just a browser - but you are forced into trusting a 3rd party so you are pretty much back to centralised banks. The block chain is getting so large that most home users are running out of drive space on their netbooks, laptops and phones, and the verification time when you start the software is enormous unless you have a huge SSD. So again we are coming to rely on others to be guardians of the ledger, verify transactions, commit to the ledger and mine new bitcoins. That can all be done by one company!

I don't see this as a good trend. It was originally pitched there were no transaction fees. Well. Now there are and what they are is up to a very small group of people. The protocol should be thinning, IMO, not clumping into resource hungry clusters of services.
Activity: 56
Update(s) much appreciated from everyone who has posted.
Activity: 212
Merit: 100
Daniel P. Barron
I haven't got blockchain on my pc and I am still bitcoin user.

Aight but the whole "be your own bank" thing depends on you maintaining your own full node. Otherwise you might as well be using PayPal. It doesn't do much good signing transactions if you don't also have a record of all the other transactions. I mean, centralized services could just as easily implement a "sign a message with a key" option for authorizing account actions. The whole point of bitcoin is keeping track of the public ledger so that nobody can get away with inflating the supply of money or double spending already spent outputs. These are the things that you cannot do, and by my estimation this makes you *not* a bitcoin user.
Activity: 14
I haven't got blockchain on my pc and I am still bitcoin user.
Activity: 14
Thanks for the info Smiley
A great info.
Thanks mike for letting us know about spv mode
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
http://pastebin.com/YXriDWW2
Multibit would be my choice.
Thanks for the update.. Blockchain is really slow hope so multibit works well. Especially for new biess....
legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 4158
well, you don't transfer more than 60Go per day to "think" that SSD have constant speed.
it's wrong.

after 9-12Go, SSD speed decrease like hell when you don't have fan behind (temperature restriction).
You can't really transfer 60GB per day without having to connect to thousands of nodes and uploading loads of data. For every computer, there should be at least one fan, case fan, CPU fan, PSU fan or GPU fan without them, it would be fried long ago. Do you have any realistic data to prove your point?
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011
well, you don't transfer more than 60Go per day to "think" that SSD have constant speed.
it's wrong.

after 9-12Go, SSD speed decrease like hell when you don't have fan behind (temperature restriction).
Pages:
Jump to: