Pages:
Author

Topic: Block chain size/storage and slow downloads for new users - page 3. (Read 228612 times)

legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 4158
who purchases magnetic hard drive on this ... year ?
SSD 512Go is a commun article on 2015 !

but, i admit that it requires some cooling feature to stay at 164Mo/s ... when magnetic hard drive can transfer at 95Mo/s from the begin to the end of the total capacity without any cooling system.
SSD are still relatively more expensive than normal magnetic hard drives. A HDD consist of a platter and a spinning head. It can be much more slower than SSD which consist of only chips. Those chips are much faster than spinning drives hence the speed.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011
who purchases magnetic hard drive on this ... year ?
SSD 512Go is a commun article on 2015 !

but, i admit that it requires some cooling feature to stay at 164Mo/s ... when magnetic hard drive can transfer at 95Mo/s from the begin to the end of the total capacity without any cooling system.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
100 satoshis -> ISO code
If my HD doesn't have 60GB of available space, should I use MultiBit instead of Bitcoin-qt?

If you don't have enough space, it is better to use a thin client, Multibit or Electrum.

or

Activity: 560
Merit: 506
I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!
If my HD doesn't have 60GB of available space, should I use MultiBit instead of Bitcoin-qt?

If you don't have enough space, it is better to use a thin client, Multibit or Electrum.
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
Activity: 1
Thanks for the update, appreciate it
Activity: 42
nice explanation. great work. thank you  Smiley
Activity: 8
Thanks for the update
M95
Activity: 6
Imagine in 10 years's time, it wont take a week to sinc, but a generation.
In 10 years I think we'll have a working combination of zero knowledge proofs plus committed UTXO sets that make syncing all the way back to the genesis block unnecessary.
Even though the amount of things to sync is increased, probably the speed of syncing is also increased.
copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499
No I dont escrow anymore.
I have one question if anyone willing to answer will be thankful.Is there bootstrap or blockchain data for Bitcoin available ? Last days something went wrong to my computer and began to appear error with Bitcoin wallet core 0.10.0 and I was needed to download all blockchain. It took 3 days to sync it till today. The purpose of asking this someone else or I may be again if have problem that bootstrap will help to sync fast.

There might be still bootstrap files around, but you could do even better. The bootstrap.dat data has to be verified because it comes from an unstrusted source (someone else). Since you currently have all the data, you could (periodically) create a backup of the entire folder. This will not only ensure you do not have to redownload the data, you also dont have to verify it again. The time it takes to verify the data is highly dependant on your CPU/Disk speed, but its probably in the realm of a few hours.
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
I have one question if anyone willing to answer will be thankful.Is there bootstrap or blockchain data for Bitcoin available ? Last days something went wrong to my computer and began to appear error with Bitcoin wallet core 0.10.0 and I was needed to download all blockchain. It took 3 days to sync it till today. The purpose of asking this someone else or I may be again if have problem that bootstrap will help to sync fast.
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
Wow thanks for informing me about that..I was getting worried that once I have to reformat my computer I might have to restart the whole troublesome process of syncing all over again and it will take me ages...
copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499
No I dont escrow anymore.
You know a lot of the other cryptocurrencies are starting to use wallets with Bootstrap.dat...option...which kind of allows you to sync it up faster...I guess...not sure too much about the technical side..so I don't know what to say...wouldn't something like that be an option?

Bitcoin is already beyond the bootstrap.dat. For most users using 0.10. is way faster than using the bootstrap.dat from a torrent. This does not reduce the size though, just the download and verify speed. The big advantage is that the newest client can sync from several peers at once and does no longer need the blocks in order (42 after 41, etc.).
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
You know a lot of the other cryptocurrencies are starting to use wallets with Bootstrap.dat...option...which kind of allows you to sync it up faster...I guess...not sure too much about the technical side..so I don't know what to say...wouldn't something like that be an option?
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
LIR DEV
I will be happy when blockchain and client is read off cloud storage if that ever comes.

Cloud = centralization

I'll never use anything "in the cloud".

I don't see why people complain about 30 or so gigs.  A terabyte is cheap, no one should be complaining about data storage in 2015.
There could be a decentralized, unrealistic solution to that....
Like when you install your qt wallet, you use the "windows cloud-storage folder" to install the data directory to... or similar.
But that would sure be bandwidth intensive if it worked.

Best way I've found to use a wallet is to use a usb 3.0 stick for the entire wallet.
...also... syncing your wallet on a quad-core I-7 is about 6 days faster than on a dual core AMD A6 using the same connection.
... just so everyone is aware that your processing power has everything to do with sync speeds if you have a decent internet connection.
I can sync the QT wallet in about 7 hours from scratch on a Verizon moto-droid wi-fi hotspot with an I7, but not on the AMD A6, it's an all-week job with that one.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
I will be happy when blockchain and client is read off cloud storage if that ever comes.

Cloud = centralization

I'll never use anything "in the cloud".

I don't see why people complain about 30 or so gigs.  A terabyte is cheap, no one should be complaining about data storage in 2015.
legendary
Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001
I will be happy when blockchain and client is read off cloud storage if that ever comes. Saves massive amounts of data on ones system to be gobbled up by transactions. Something like this should happened due to many people not wanting to have to download the entire block chain. Yes theirs alt clients but come at a risk and even blockchain.info has its own problems for security and accounts being hacked or missing coins.
Activity: 3
while the small guys can just leech the blockchain history from them.

For free obviously.
yes, it must be concern it.
do you feel this will take problem in future?
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007
1davout
while the small guys can just leech the blockchain history from them.

For free obviously.
Activity: 46
How I can get back a lost wallet? Somebodey can help me plss??

Does "Block chain size/storage and slow downloads for new users" sounds like a good place to ask how do you get back a lost wallet? Ask yourself that with loud voice.

Now...What does a lost wallet mean? Are we supposed to guess whatever happened with your wallet? Provide more details maybe...

aha ok thanks.
Pages:
Jump to: