Pages:
Author

Topic: Block Erupter Prisma (>=1.4 T/device, 0.75-0.78 W/G, <1 BTC/T, October Shipping) - page 17. (Read 107986 times)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0
I'm reusing the 750s  that were powering my BTC Gardens - at the time they were quite a bit cheaper that going with a 1300W.

but the EVGA G2's cost on amazon is $118, x 2 would be $236. A single 1300 G2 would cost only $189.  If you already have a few 750w G2s already then it would make sense.

So my Prisma is out for delivery and the question is: Will a Corsair 1200AXi be good enough for this, or should I use a LEPA 1600. I have several of each PSU here, but the Corsair is Platinum versus LEPA gold. I bought this for a garage heater since it is getting cold!

We use 2x 750w PSUs to power the prismas in our co-location facility.
Doing the same with mine; 2 x EVGA G2 750W PSU work great.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
but the EVGA G2's cost on amazon is $118, x 2 would be $236. A single 1300 G2 would cost only $189.  If you already have a few 750w G2s already then it would make sense.

So my Prisma is out for delivery and the question is: Will a Corsair 1200AXi be good enough for this, or should I use a LEPA 1600. I have several of each PSU here, but the Corsair is Platinum versus LEPA gold. I bought this for a garage heater since it is getting cold!

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

Activity: 364
Merit: 250
No, and no. Lepa 1600 is a 6 rail system and 1200xi is not enough I believe, and if it was it wouldn't be efficient enough operating at max capability (correct me If I am wrong). I have not tried it, but perhaps it MIGHT barely work on the 1600w. I just bought a LEPA 1600w and they are shipping them now with unshielded cables. Not sure why they ship different cables with these now, but they got hot and I feel they are unsafe for this type of mining.

The best option I see for the price is the EVGA 1300 G2 (I just bought one $188 on amazon), it has to be hooked up a certain way (see crazyguys thread). Philipma came up with the idea, and it works. You have 6 cables, there are 4 with one PCI-E, but there are 2 cables with double PCI-E. The trick is you have to have one connector from each of the double PCI on each board. The regular single PCI-E plug right in.

This miner will SURELY heat your garage. Buy one for the basement too to heat your house Smiley I was thinking of attaching an empty copper pipe from the prisma to the pipe on my that connects my baseboard heaters. = free heat...

legendary
Activity: 1161
Merit: 1001
Don`t invest more than you can afford to lose

when did you order and how many?Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119
Activity: 123
Merit: 100
FYI, for anyone not following the other details. Although our order of 10 Prismas has not arrived yet, a customer has shipped 7 that they received to our hosting facility. So it seems perhaps that phasebird and ASICMiner are focusing their efforts on satisfying their group-buy and reseller partners initially.

Considering the high entry cost, I hadn't anticipated that they would have overwhelming demand, and would have been better able to reply to individual buyers, even smaller resellers such as ourselves, clearly I was mistaken.

The issue behind the Prisma delay stems from an issue with the BE200 chip, and if you missed it, here is friedcat's exact post in the other forum:

Update

Development
The 28nm BE300 engineering batch tapeout was in September 16 with TSMC.
The power efficiency is 0.225W/G to 0.343W/G ranging from core voltage of 0.55V
to 0.70V. The two main mistakes made in BE200 were dedicatedly addressed and
avoided in the whole design stage so we do not expect surprise in frequency and
power consumption in real products.

14nm/16nm projects are at pre-evaluation and pre-design stage. It has to be done
in 2015 but the starting time of placing orders depends on overall gain vs (NRE/R&D/risks).

Led by Block Erupter Prisma, a series of efforts to reduce component-wise
cost and system-wise power efficiency were made.

Production
As known by OEM producers, several large batches of BE200 had problems with
popping chips affecting whole boards due to the misoperation from the packaging
company. It hindered afterwards chip sales and delayed the starting time of
Tube/Prisma sales. Later supply of BE200 has no such problem and filtering process
on old BE200 is also underway.

Because of the non-open-source status of Prisma and high cost of all other designs, BE200
sales were stopped. Rest BE200 chips will likely be consumed by Prisma and succeeding revises.

The mass production time of BE300 in terms of chip-out date is February to March, 2015.

Operation
As sales were seriously hindered by unexpected yield issue of BE200, we had missed many
dates with financing the big mining farm of our own. It is still hopeful that all good BE200
will be turned to hashrate before too late and we have liquid profits again before BE300, but
from the big picture, the missing of target on BE200, the mis-judgment on OEMs and later
yield/financing problem, limited our expansion and profit in this year. But luckily R&D on later
products is not much affected.

AM will continue to develop new products, expand its mining farms, deliver machines to miners,
as well as make money for shareholders.

There is no any foreseeable plan from AM side on force buy-back, dumping, or any
activities on the open stock market. There is no plan of privatization either. The management,
R&D, sales as well as marketing is being more and more separated and dedicated to professionals,
but the founders will continue to be heavily involved and drive AM in the more and more competitive
market. Scenarios of BE100 vs graphics card may never happen again, but we need catch
any opportunity on timing window of leads at either technology or deploying/financing resources
to win the last battle when mining is still an under-capitalized game.

legendary
Do any of you get your news from sources beyond this forum?  Did you not read that friedcat and company operate finances out of Hong Kong (China blocks BTC thru banks)?  

Let's think...what's going on right now in Hong Kong?  Additionally, this forum is blocked in mainland China, so likely the only time they're posting updates, they're in HK.

https://www.google.com/search?q=china+hong+kong&safe=off&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=nws&sa=X&ei=kEJYVK7gC8uvogTMm4LgBA&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAw&biw=1293&bih=678&dpr=0.9

Lets see they are sold on this forum...why would they not post info here about them. Is email also blocked in China? There is no excuse to not update the place you sell at. Anyways in other news I scored a Prisma and it arrives in 2 days!
Activity: 938
Merit: 502
Do any of you get your news from sources beyond this forum?  Did you not read that friedcat and company operate finances out of Hong Kong (China blocks BTC thru banks)?  

Let's think...what's going on right now in Hong Kong?  Additionally, this forum is blocked in mainland China, so likely the only time they're posting updates, they're in HK.

https://www.google.com/search?q=china+hong+kong&safe=off&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=nws&sa=X&ei=kEJYVK7gC8uvogTMm4LgBA&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAw&biw=1293&bih=678&dpr=0.9
legendary
Well hopefully AM will hire someone to handle communication...it is amazing how bad they handle it now. I would guess that they will compensate you though. I think they are honest just very poorly run/organized...should be easy to fix.
This is the email we sent Phasebird this morning. Including here to escalate greater transparency for all ASICMiner customers.

Good morning,
This is Ronald again, it has been nearly a month since our order was placed, and since that point we have not received any replies from you. Keeping tabs on your thread at Bitcointalk shows only one brief reply to the thread acknowledging the delay from Phasebird on October 25th. I had to go to ASICMiner's Facebook page to read friedcat's explanation of the issues with the BE200.

We are extremely disappointed in the lack of professionalism ASICMiner has demonstrated with this product launch, and the lack of communication that typically follows scam pre-orders, not legitimate sales. At nearly 15 BTC per order, you are not dealing with small home miners who have limited funds at risk, or who are only interested in small batches of hardware.

We fully expect an update today via email, and an update to your customers who you owe a response to on your Bitcointalk thread. We likewise fully expect compensation in the form of a partial refund and coupons -if- we decide to do business with you again, although from the irresponsible manner this launch has been handled, that is unlikely.

With a MOQ of 10 miners, and a minimum purchase price of 14.9 BTC, this level of delay is entirely unacceptable. If you are unable to respond to your customers' inquiries today, we will bring the matter up directly with friedcat in an attempt to arbitrate a solution, preferably one which does not attach ASICMiner's name to a product that, at present, entirely lacks customer support or feedback.

This has been a very disappointing experience for us in relation to ASICMiner, and future purchases will likely require the use of an escrow service to keep you honest and communicative, since apparently your priorities lie elsewhere from your hardware sales customers, and if that is the case, then I have to wonder if this is how ASICMiner will treat their investors after the IPO investments are raised.

To help improve our transparency in this exchange, I am going to make this an open letter and include it on the Bitcointalk thread verbatim to this email, but I still expect a reply via email today with regard to our hardware order.

Sincerely,
Ronald (Praeluceo)

This is why you NEVER pre order mining gear... Not sure how many times it needs to be posted for people to let it sink in...

I totally agree Blazedout419, and I do not participate in pre-orders. I have had great success with ASICMiner and Bitmain hardware in the past, both companies have been very straight forward with issuing refunds on delayed hardware, and coupons for loyal customers. The Prisma was not represented to be a pre-order however. The posted shipping date was October 8th, which was right around when we placed our order. The expectation being that this would be like my other purchases from ASICMiner, where the order is placed, and then shipped within the next few days.

Brief
Round 1 Sales

Shipping date: 8th October, 2014 to 27th October, 2014
General Policy
1. Payment before shipping. The shipping order follows the payment order.

2. No refunds after the generation of tracking numbers.

3. If the corresponding tracking number has not been generated, we provide full refund starting from 27th October.
(The nominal refund amount follows the actual payment method, for example, 1 BTC refund for 1 BTC payment, 4k
USD refund for 4k USD payment)
Purchasing Procedure
1. Contact customer service via forum, email, IM or phone.
2. Fill the order details in the form provided by the customer service. (name/address/zip code/phone/email)
3. Pay according to the Bitcoin address given by the customer service.
4. Check for the tracking number when we start shipping.
5. Ask for refunds starting from 27th October if the tracking number has not been generated at that time.

However their ship date is now almost a month past, with only one official word from Phasebird, and it didn't articulate what sort of issue they had with the BE200s and their hashing board solution. We sent multiple e-mails to Phasebird when our order didn't ship, we got a re-negotiated ship date (the 15th) which slipped without response, and when the 27th came and went, we requested a status update again, and still no reply. So now I've made our latest inquiry to phasebird public, and subsequent correspondence will be handled directly with ASICMiner.

In the future, it seems that we will have to use escrow services even with previously reputable companies unless they actually have hardware that has already shipped. Batch #1 always gets burned, but for one of 2 ASIC manufacturers that I trust, this has been a terrible experience.
legendary
Activity: 896
Hi All,

My first 2 of 3 Prismas showed up at my office on Thursday.  I had one of my drivers bring one home to me to play with this weekend and here are my initial reactions to the device.

1. Device itself.
a. BIG
b. Pretty, (Geeky way, Sci-Fi fan and all)
c. Functionality:
One of the handles is a little bent in but that only made it a bit difficult to connect a PSU connecter.  The Dip switches being where they are will make setting the next one in the chain up interesting.  Speaking of that where is the chart on the switches?

2. Software Setup / USB device
I am using the USB dongle, as the current software for the Controller Box does not work with most pools

a. CGminer
After figuring out that the Debian build of CGminer was broken (long story).  I was able to get the unit to work somewhat.  I was getting a lot of "Unexpected Response 00 from BET 0" and "Sync Error"  I am not sure what is causing this as the solution was several power cycling of the miner and unplugging the USB device from the computer.

b. BFGminer
I built a custom 4.10.0 build of BFGminer but was not able to get it to detect the Prisma at all.  I tried several things without results.  Will have to look into this more.

3. Powering
a. Don't even bench test with less then a 1300W PSU.  I had a 1000W PSU I thought I could use on the bench for short power up tests and minor 10 minutes bursts of mining.  No it did not work.  Thank god for protection circuits or that sucker would have been a goner.

b. Using Dual PSUs, there may be a sequencing thing that is needed to be done with the boards.  I have not proven this yet.  I am still testing to see if this is what causes the errors mentioned above.

Thanks for the information.  It's odd that a 1000W PSU wouldn't work for you.  AM claims 1050-1100W at the wall is typical per device so a 1000W 80plus PSU should work!  Do you have a power meter?  It would be nice to know what you're seeing at the wall.

From what I've seen with other people, the power draw is closer to 1100W.  The fan alone is pulling almost 50W
legendary
Activity: 896
There are problems with the shipping the Prisma.  Apparently there some chips that were damaged so there is/was changes with the way the miners are packaged. 

There should be compensation to all buyers in the same way for the Tubes
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002
This is the email we sent Phasebird this morning. Including here to escalate greater transparency for all ASICMiner customers.

Good morning,
This is Ronald again, it has been nearly a month since our order was placed, and since that point we have not received any replies from you. Keeping tabs on your thread at Bitcointalk shows only one brief reply to the thread acknowledging the delay from Phasebird on October 25th. I had to go to ASICMiner's Facebook page to read friedcat's explanation of the issues with the BE200.

We are extremely disappointed in the lack of professionalism ASICMiner has demonstrated with this product launch, and the lack of communication that typically follows scam pre-orders, not legitimate sales. At nearly 15 BTC per order, you are not dealing with small home miners who have limited funds at risk, or who are only interested in small batches of hardware.

We fully expect an update today via email, and an update to your customers who you owe a response to on your Bitcointalk thread. We likewise fully expect compensation in the form of a partial refund and coupons -if- we decide to do business with you again, although from the irresponsible manner this launch has been handled, that is unlikely.

With a MOQ of 10 miners, and a minimum purchase price of 14.9 BTC, this level of delay is entirely unacceptable. If you are unable to respond to your customers' inquiries today, we will bring the matter up directly with friedcat in an attempt to arbitrate a solution, preferably one which does not attach ASICMiner's name to a product that, at present, entirely lacks customer support or feedback.

This has been a very disappointing experience for us in relation to ASICMiner, and future purchases will likely require the use of an escrow service to keep you honest and communicative, since apparently your priorities lie elsewhere from your hardware sales customers, and if that is the case, then I have to wonder if this is how ASICMiner will treat their investors after the IPO investments are raised.

To help improve our transparency in this exchange, I am going to make this an open letter and include it on the Bitcointalk thread verbatim to this email, but I still expect a reply via email today with regard to our hardware order.

Sincerely,
Ronald (Praeluceo)

This is why you NEVER pre order mining gear... Not sure how many times it needs to be posted for people to let it sink in...

at this point you just let it be man Wink
legendary

Good morning,

Sincerely,
Ronald (Praeluceo)

Good morning,

Sincerely,
Ronald (Praeluceo)
legendary
Once they are in stock and shipping regularly I will be grabbing one too...it is getting cold here and it will make an excellent garage heater! I assume the price will be lowered fairly soon too!
legendary
Activity: 1161
Don`t invest more than you can afford to lose
Hi All,

My first 2 of 3 Prismas showed up at my office on Thursday.  I had one of my drivers bring one home to me to play with this weekend and here are my initial reactions to the device.

1. Device itself.
a. BIG
c. Functionality:
One of the handles is a little bent in but that only made it a bit difficult to connect a PSU connecter.  The Dip switches being where they are will make setting the next one in the chain up interesting.  Speaking of that where is the chart on the switches?

I am using the USB dongle, as the current software for the Controller Box does not work with most pools

a. CGminer
After figuring out that the Debian build of CGminer was broken (long story).  I was able to get the unit to work somewhat.  I was getting a lot of "Unexpected Response 00 from BET 0" and "Sync Error"  I am not sure what is causing this as the solution was several power cycling of the miner and unplugging the USB device from the computer.

b. BFGminer
I built a custom 4.10.0 build of BFGminer but was not able to get it to detect the Prisma at all.  I tried several things without results.  Will have to look into this more.

3. Powering
a. Don't even bench test with less then a 1300W PSU.  I had a 1000W PSU I thought I could use on the bench for short power up tests and minor 10 minutes bursts of mining.  No it did not work.  Thank god for protection circuits or that sucker would have been a goner.

b. Using Dual PSUs, there may be a sequencing thing that is needed to be done with the boards.  I have not proven this yet.  I am still testing to see if this is what causes the errors mentioned above.

great whaiting for our prismas Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 7912
Hi All,

My first 2 of 3 Prismas showed up at my office on Thursday.  I had one of my drivers bring one home to me to play with this weekend and here are my initial reactions to the device.

1. Device itself.
a. BIG
c. Functionality:
One of the handles is a little bent in but that only made it a bit difficult to connect a PSU connecter.  The Dip switches being where they are will make setting the next one in the chain up interesting.  Speaking of that where is the chart on the switches?

a. CGminer
After figuring out that the Debian build of CGminer was broken (long story).  I was able to get the unit to work somewhat.  I was getting a lot of "Unexpected Response 00 from BET 0" and "Sync Error"  I am not sure what is causing this as the solution was several power cycling of the miner and unplugging the USB device from the computer.

b. BFGminer
I built a custom 4.10.0 build of BFGminer but was not able to get it to detect the Prisma at all.  I tried several things without results.  Will have to look into this more.

3. Powering
a. Don't even bench test with less then a 1300W PSU.  I had a 1000W PSU I thought I could use on the bench for short power up tests and minor 10 minutes bursts of mining.  No it did not work.  Thank god for protection circuits or that sucker would have been a goner.

b. Using Dual PSUs, there may be a sequencing thing that is needed to be done with the boards.  I have not proven this yet.  I am still testing to see if this is what causes the errors mentioned above.

Thanks for the information.  It's odd that a 1000W PSU wouldn't work for you.  AM claims 1050-1100W at the wall is typical per device so a 1000W 80plus PSU should work!  Do you have a power meter?  It would be nice to know what you're seeing at the wall.
Pages:
Jump to: