Pages:
Author

Topic: Blue Fury Support Thread. - page 14. (Read 89537 times)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250
November 20, 2013, 05:24:12 PM
If I hold the a blue fury with the USB connector pointing up and look at the fury chip there are tags to the top, left and bottom that have solder loops joining some of the tags but no tags on the right hand side joined together. No blue fury that I have has the same set of tags joined by solder.

Can someone please confirm that the tags for the top, left and bottom are all joined together on the board and the tags make no difference?

The one that died on me had all the legs on the left hand side connected together...but then again it looks like they're all ground plane anyway.  It's death may or may not be related.

Thanks for the info, I think that they are all joined together but it would be nice to know for certain although it does not seem to affect the operation.
Activity: 291
Scam-Busting PSA: Beware of Black Arrow Software
November 20, 2013, 04:12:08 PM

PENCIL MOD +. Heatsink removed, swapped for a CPU hsf unit. measured at @ 29deg C
R15 = 0.85 (measured at 20k)
HW's = 9.89%
2.732GH/s (5s avg)

You happen to have a picture of this you can post>?

Any chance of a Picture yet?

Sorry for the delay, I've edited my post above showing my mod to my test unit, let me know if it's any help.
Activity: 188
Merit: 100
November 20, 2013, 03:44:29 PM
Any update on Bitminter miner support with these?  Would help us noobies out here. thx!
Activity: 1246
Merit: 501
November 20, 2013, 03:34:11 PM
If I hold the a blue fury with the USB connector pointing up and look at the fury chip there are tags to the top, left and bottom that have solder loops joining some of the tags but no tags on the right hand side joined together. No blue fury that I have has the same set of tags joined by solder.

Can someone please confirm that the tags for the top, left and bottom are all joined together on the board and the tags make no difference?

The one that died on me had all the legs on the left hand side connected together...but then again it looks like they're all ground plane anyway.  It's death may or may not be related.
Activity: 252
November 20, 2013, 03:00:22 PM

Activity: 280
November 20, 2013, 12:06:56 PM
OK. Done playing with resistors. Have to make some Money :-) I am "happy" with the result.

1 with 91k is minig with 2.622 Mh/s
1 with 72k is minig with 2.528 Mh/s

Operating only WITH fan now.
November 20, 2013, 08:07:36 AM
I think I'm to old to hear that high pitch noise ;-) But I would say, mine are quiet to.
Thinks the fan makes more noise ....
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
November 20, 2013, 07:51:17 AM

PENCIL MOD +. Heatsink removed, swapped for a CPU hsf unit. measured at @ 29deg C
HW's = 9.89%
2.732GH/s (5s avg)

Any chance of a Picture yet?
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
November 20, 2013, 07:47:49 AM
so mine seem to be making a annoying high pitch noise while mining. Its kinda quiet, but can notice it at least.
is this normal? i have 7 of them.

Doesn't seem normal, my twelve are completely quiet.

I'm not really sure what to think of your remark to be honest... but maybe other folks have similar experiences?

Smiley

Is it all of them or only one? Mine are silent.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
Are you like these guys?
November 20, 2013, 07:43:39 AM
so mine seem to be making a annoying high pitch noise while mining. Its kinda quiet, but can notice it at least.

Doesn't seem normal, my twelve are completely quiet.

I'm not really sure what to think of your remark to be honest... but maybe other folks have similar experiences?

Smiley

Activity: 40
Merit: 0
November 20, 2013, 06:48:50 AM
November 19, 2013, 01:04:22 PM
Our EE resoldered the 9.1k + 120k on top with something else.
I habe to ask him tomorow, what he did. Now it is only 1 restistor.

Somehow it was faster with the pencil mod the with the resistor ... hmmm

Now at home with both connected to the RaPi AND an USB fan blowing to it
the readings are:

2.482 gh/s (reject:1 / error 8.0%)
2.627 gh/s (reject:0 / error 9.6%)

But startet 30min ago.

Edit: Our EE put an 82k resistor in. Somehow strange how different the sticks react ...
After 12 hr strait mining with fan the sticks are NOT hot at all !! (can't messure the temp)
So we might replace the resistor on the slow stick again to gain Speed ... ;-)
November 19, 2013, 11:37:13 AM
Ok. Second stick modified from pencil-mode (2.6 gh/s) to 9.1k resistor (2.4 gh/s)
both on bfgminer 3.2 w/o fan ;-)

I think there is some speed left we have to find .... maybe an 100k or 130k resistor on top of the 9.1k ?!
Have you got a fan you can try, to see if your error/reject performance improves with the cooling? What temperature is the chip running at?
November 19, 2013, 08:48:11 AM
Ok. Second stick modified from pencil-mode (2.6 gh/s) to 9.1k resistor (2.4 gh/s)
both on bfgminer 3.2 w/o fan ;-)

I think there is some speed left we have to find .... maybe an 100k or 130k resistor on top of the 9.1k ?!
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
November 19, 2013, 07:08:27 AM
Thanks for the fixes in the 3.8.x series. Seeing my 2 RedFurys go from and average 1.8 each to 2.2 each was just jaw-dropping.  I too was one of those people that freaked out about the massive jump in reported HW errors when I upgraded from 3.7.2 Very Reassuring that this is normal.

However, I also seem to have experienced a large increase in reported rejects in cgminer as well, about 11% overall. This combined with a reported 7-10% DOA rate in my local p2pool node also has me wondering if this is just accurately reporting what was already happening and I was living in a dreamworld of .02% DOA before.
That's cause the code was also accidentally throwing out results that were already there to be processed when a work restart hit so it was unintentionally acting like enabling no-submit-stale (note you should never enable this on p2pool).
Activity: 710
Merit: 502
November 19, 2013, 07:02:00 AM
Hi
I end up downloading from the bfgminer repository this: bfgminer-3.5.1-win64  and it worked perfectly (in W7 x64)

command:
bfgminer.exe -S "BF1:all" -o stratum+tcp://mint.bitminter.com:3333 -u User_Worker_1 -p 1234

I am getting 2.2 GH on one device and 2.4 on the other.
The 2.4 GH one is a lot hotter than the 2.2GH device.
also the 2.4GH have a blinking red light, and a steady ambar.
the 2.2GH only the blinking red light

odd... hehe.

BTW: I didn't flash any firmware yet, dunno if it is necessary.
thank you all
indtk
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
November 19, 2013, 06:01:28 AM
High error rate for my taste, but respectable throughput IMO considering the circumstances. I'm most keen to see if I can reduce the HW with sufficient cooling, will report back when I've had time to play properly this weekend.
That's by design in these chips. An error rate around 10% is to be expected. I can make it read zero artificially in cgminer if you like...

Thanks for the fixes in the 3.8.x series. Seeing my 2 RedFurys go from and average 1.8 each to 2.2 each was just jaw-dropping.  I too was one of those people that freaked out about the massive jump in reported HW errors when I upgraded from 3.7.2 Very Reassuring that this is normal.

However, I also seem to have experienced a large increase in reported rejects in cgminer as well, about 11% overall. This combined with a reported 7-10% DOA rate in my local p2pool node also has me wondering if this is just accurately reporting what was already happening and I was living in a dreamworld of .02% DOA before.
Activity: 616
November 19, 2013, 04:33:57 AM
Combined BF and RF (Red Fury) USB miners with pencil mods

Initially had R15 at 0.77K on one of them, but it got too hot to touch, so wound it down to 0.89 which seems more stable (and less HW errors)
November 19, 2013, 04:24:30 AM

HW's = 9.89%
2.732GH/s (5s avg)

Also removing the heat sink, its just on there with some sticky tape and you pried it off?

I used a snap-off craft knife (for blade lengths) and slid it down the HEATSINK side of the thermal tape, it came away very easily once you broke the initial adhesion. The tape is surprisingly thick so you could safely get a knife down the middle and never even touch the heatsink or the board. I'll edit this post and include my pictures of the HSF mod later tonight.

My experience is that the temperature went from 42deg at heat sink without a fan to about 80deg at heatsink. I would recommend that you DONT pencil mod without increasing the cooling from the stock setup or it's likely you'll dramatically shorten the lifespan.

*** EDIT ***

For those who are interested, this is my CPU HSF mod.

Stock heatsink removed. CPU Heatsink applied with thermal compound. Fixed with screws through PCB fixing holes, between fins of HSF unit to hold securely (but not over tight). Cut yellow and black wires to HSF 4pin connector. Strip these wire ends. Strip a USB micro cable. Safely cap the data wires. Connect the yellow and black HSF wires to the USB 5V power lines, and tape/shrink-tube safely. You now have a usb powered, extraordinarily efficient heat sink fan that runs nearly silently, plug this mutant creation into a usb extension lead, and same with the miner and away you go. The HSF is designed for up 12v feed from the motherboard to run at full speed, so it works fine with usb's 5v, just not as fast as normal, which has the pleasing side effect of being very quiet. Yellow insulation tape was my temporary low-tech way of lowering the brightness of the LED temporarily, it serves no other functional purpose.
Activity: 616
November 19, 2013, 04:20:30 AM
Is the recently released Red Fury basically the same thing as the Blue Fury? Just different color?
I got some Red Furies today, and they are basically the 'same thing' as the Blue Fury.  The main difference that I can spot is that the heatsink fins are shorter (which allows these to be placed on 'standard' hubs on adjacent USB sockets, while the Blue Fury unit that I have has longer fins that preclude that).  Also the heatsink is over the full length of the PCB, and is red in color (as is the heatsink).  The performance is similar and the same pencil mod applies to R15.

Cheers
Pages:
Jump to: