Pages:
Author

Topic: [Boxing] Nonito Donaire vs Alejandro Santiago for WBC bantamweight title - page 14. (Read 4344 times)

Activity: 2828
Merit: 666
Most probably the strategy that Santiago will use is to be quick to score as he has better stamina than Donaire.

He needs to be quick, maybe as quick as Rigo, as Donaire really struggled against Rigo because the latter is very slick. Bookies are not wrong with the betting odds they display. Of course, the public will favor Donaire, as he is the more popular boxer, while Santiago is just a rising boxer who would only become a superstar once he beats the popular Donaire.

If I were to bet, I would go for Donaire winning via KO in 6 rounds or less, or bet on Santiago to win the full fight via a judges' decision.
In my opinion, it is more probable that Donaire will win by KO in 6 rounds or less. I've seen some fight highlights of Santiago, and I'm not impressed with his wins. So even if the fight goes to the judges' scorecards, there's still a chance that Donaire will win. The only way Donaire will lose is if Santiago is able to wear him down, which is not easy to do if a boxer is not as fast as Inoue.
Activity: 2702
Merit: 517
Most probably the strategy that Santiago will use is to be quick to score as he has better stamina than Donaire.

He needs to be quick, maybe as quick as Rigo, as Donaire really struggled against Rigo because the latter is very slick. Bookies are not wrong with the betting odds they display. Of course, the public will favor Donaire, as he is the more popular boxer, while Santiago is just a rising boxer who would only become a superstar once he beats the popular Donaire.

If I were to bet, I would go for Donaire winning via KO in 6 rounds or less, or bet on Santiago to win the full fight via a judges' decision.
Merit: 673
Play Bitcoin PVP Prediction Game
I recently checked my favorite sports bookies and it seems that Donaire is the favorite and Santiago almost 3:1 underdog?

I thought it could be closer though, but I guess even at his age, Donaire can still fight and that's why they put him as a big favorite here.
There's no need to be surprised by that, as Alejandro Santiago is only ranked number 4 based on the stats that were shared earlier. It is expected that Donaire would easily win this fight. However, since there is no assurance that Donaire will emerge victorious, perhaps Santiago's fans might view it as an opportunity to potentially earn more money if the young Santiago manages to defeat the older Donaire.

We can not say that this is an easy win for donaire because he is a veteran, an older and a experienced fighter, Donaire has an age which is pretty sure that his movement  speed will effect. And about Young Santiago we can say that this is his time to shine which is he need to prove to  us that this is his Era, and we are all know that young Santiago is very strong fighter he has a good skill and technique so this is a good fight.
If Donaire loses, it will be a significant opportunity for Santiago to become a champion, while Donaire may consider retirement. On paper, it's easy to predict that Donaire would win easily, but we cannot guarantee that as upsets can occur in boxing, especially considering Donaire's age. He is not the same old Donaire who could last in long rounds; the reason is that he is getting older.

Activity: 1064
Merit: 343
Hhampuz is the best manager
I recently checked my favorite sports bookies and it seems that Donaire is the favorite and Santiago almost 3:1 underdog?

I thought it could be closer though, but I guess even at his age, Donaire can still fight and that's why they put him as a big favorite here.
There's no need to be surprised by that, as Alejandro Santiago is only ranked number 4 based on the stats that were shared earlier. It is expected that Donaire would easily win this fight. However, since there is no assurance that Donaire will emerge victorious, perhaps Santiago's fans might view it as an opportunity to potentially earn more money if the young Santiago manages to defeat the older Donaire.

We can not say that this is an easy win for donaire because he is a veteran, an older and a experienced fighter, Donaire has an age which is pretty sure that his movement  speed will effect. And about Young Santiago we can say that this is his time to shine which is he need to prove to  us that this is his Era, and we are all know that young Santiago is very strong fighter he has a good skill and technique so this is a good fight.
Activity: 2800
Merit: 344
when lambo...

Activity: 1344
Merit: 540
But nevertheless, it might be difficult again to see a unification fight at 118 lbs because of all this boxing politics.

This excessive politicization in the boxing industry could potentially lead to its decline in the future if changes are not made. While politics have always been a part of the sport, an excessive focus on protecting champions and avoiding challenging matchups can diminish the excitement for fans.

True boxing fans want to witness fights that showcase the best of the best, including unification and undisputed battles. It is important for promoters and organizations to prioritize creating these matchups to keep the sport engaging and thriving.

From time to time though we may witnessed a unification fight, but it's very hard to do it, unless both parties both their ego aside and just wanted to face each other and test themselves to know who are the best in the division.

Merit: 603
But nevertheless, it might be difficult again to see a unification fight at 118 lbs because of all this boxing politics.

This excessive politicization in the boxing industry could potentially lead to its decline in the future if changes are not made. While politics have always been a part of the sport, an excessive focus on protecting champions and avoiding challenging matchups can diminish the excitement for fans.

True boxing fans want to witness fights that showcase the best of the best, including unification and undisputed battles. It is important for promoters and organizations to prioritize creating these matchups to keep the sport engaging and thriving.
Activity: 2590
Merit: 542
Honestly, even at Donaire's current age, I still believe he has a good chance of becoming a unified champion, especially when facing someone like Moloney.
Moloney seemed to understand this, as he chose not to continue his fight with Donaire and instead opted for an easier opponent, which he successfully defeated. However, he cannot hide forever because once Donaire becomes a champion, a potential unification fight might arise.

Here's the list:  https://box.live/world-rankings/bantamweight/

There are still many vacant titles in the division, so we may see more opportunities emerging in this weight class.

As the weeks goes by, I actually see why Moloney chose to fight other boxers instead of fighting Donaire first because there's a chance that he might have predicted that their fight will happen much longer than expected because of Donaire's promotional banner, the Probellum. So instead of waiting for Donaire, he chose to get the other belts first because he knew right from the start that as long as Donaire will be active on the sport, their path will cross sooner or later.

Yes, this is also one reason (or excuse if you will going to look at it), as why Moloney, who is under Top Rank and obviously Bob Arum doesn't want to work with Probellum that time because of it's association to the Irish Mafia.

The only negative thing though with Moloney is that he was drop from the WBC rankings. Nevertheless he won the belt already, so it's a risk that is worth for them right now. But nevertheless, it might be difficult again to see a unification fight at 118 lbs because of all this boxing politics.
legendary
Activity: 2982
Merit: 1028
Honestly, even at Donaire's current age, I still believe he has a good chance of becoming a unified champion, especially when facing someone like Moloney.
Moloney seemed to understand this, as he chose not to continue his fight with Donaire and instead opted for an easier opponent, which he successfully defeated. However, he cannot hide forever because once Donaire becomes a champion, a potential unification fight might arise.

There are still many vacant titles in the division, so we may see more opportunities emerging in this weight class.

As the weeks goes by, I actually see why Moloney chose to fight other boxers instead of fighting Donaire first because there's a chance that he might have predicted that their fight will happen much longer than expected because of Donaire's promotional banner, the Probellum. So instead of waiting for Donaire, he chose to get the other belts first because he knew right from the start that as long as Donaire will be active on the sport, their path will cross sooner or later.

At least he is now the champion, while Donaire still has to fight to become a champion. Perhaps he can have a few title defenses before considering a unification fight with Donaire, if Donaire does indeed win this fight. It's too early to discuss, but based on what we have witnessed in the past, it is evident that Moloney is trying to avoid Donaire to make his own journey easier.
I agree with that, instead of waiting, he chooses the easier path and takes the belt.

Now, he's going to decide to whether to unify all the belts or try to take the challenger that will give him more money.
we all know that it's not all because of the title, but it's also a business where fighters can earn decently, too early
to conclude if the path between him and Donaire will cross, as in my take the age of Donaire is something that
he needs to look after this upcoming fight.

Merit: 666

At least he is now the champion, while Donaire still has to fight to become a champion. Perhaps he can have a few title defenses before considering a unification fight with Donaire, if Donaire does indeed win this fight. It's too early to discuss, but based on what we have witnessed in the past, it is evident that Moloney is trying to avoid Donaire to make his own journey easier.
Activity: 2898
Merit: 567
I think he needs to hang the gloves at his age and respect Grandfather Time at this point. Not that I doubt his skills, but he's basically just too old for the sport that most blows that he receive are becoming more and more dangerous to him.

He is the only one who can decide that. You cannot compare a boxer to an average person because it depends on the discipline of a boxer. And as we can see, despite Donaire being old and having suffered a painful defeat at the hands of Inoue, he still wants to come back to boxing and aims to be a champion again. You can be impressed by the kind of dedication he has in his sport, so let's respect his decision and hope that he won't suffer a serious injury in case he loses a fight.

I'm impressed with his longevity and his power as a fighter, no doubt. Then again, it is in the nature of the human body to deteriorate over time. No matter your discipline is as a fighter, a warrior or whatever, time will be your strongest enemy to stay in the game. Your body is more susceptible to damage, and it takes a lot more time for it to regenerate, sometimes not.

Donaire will have the final say, but he needs to really think it through.

In boxing, the first to give up is the body, the mind is the last one to give up, and the mind will deny it until the body can not keep up anymore, which is why so many boxers keep going even fighting low-level fighters to prove that the body can still keep up, I remember what Eric Morales said after he hang-ups his globe after his last fight, I can feel all the punches now compared when I was younger, I just hope that Donaire will be the first to say that its time to hang up instead of his fans calling him to hang up.
Honestly, I'm a fan of Donaire and it hurts seeing him knocked out.
Activity: 3010
Merit: 604

Merit: 603

Activity: 2338
Merit: 338
But I think and maybe majority here will agree, than Nonito can still fight anyone at bantamweight not name Inoue and he has a likely chance to beat everyone of them and become a bantamweight champion again.

Agree and I mentioned it too before.

Likely, this fight will be Donaire's turning point in his decision if he will still continue to fight or not. However, it's good if Donaire will be matched against the top contenders in the 118 instead of Santiago although just to be clear, I'm not degrading the latter here.

Moving forward, if Donaire can't even stop Santiago, who is just currently unranked by the WBC, then time to hang his gloves now. But if successful to win, he will join Takuma Inoue (WBA) and Jason Moloney (WBC) as his co-title holders in the 118 and hoping for a unification match as his next fight.

Yes, he can take that route, but I will say that since Moloney passed the opportunity to fight Donaire as he move to WBO for any easy belt and route, I doubt that the WBC will simply allow Donaire (if he beats Santiago) and got the belt. He might have to defend it against the next rank fighter in the division or wait if there is a mandatory ordered fight for Donaire. So still a lot of options for him if he wins the WBC belt next month and obviously he can go and continue with his career, albeit he really needs to take care of himself and be discipline as he is over 40 years old.

Whatever journey awaits Donaire after this fight, I'm not thinking about it right now. What I would love to see is Donaire winning and becoming a champion. Perhaps there will be negotiations along the way for Donaire to participate in a unification fight. Honestly, even at Donaire's current age, I still believe he has a good chance of becoming a unified champion, especially when facing someone like Moloney.
Activity: 1344
Merit: 540
But I think and maybe majority here will agree, than Nonito can still fight anyone at bantamweight not name Inoue and he has a likely chance to beat everyone of them and become a bantamweight champion again.

Likely, this fight will be Donaire's turning point in his decision if he will still continue to fight or not. However, it's good if Donaire will be matched against the top contenders in the 118 instead of Santiago although just to be clear, I'm not degrading the latter here.

Moving forward, if Donaire can't even stop Santiago, who is just currently unranked by the WBC, then time to hang his gloves now. But if successful to win, he will join Takuma Inoue (WBA) and Jason Moloney (WBC) as his co-title holders in the 118 and hoping for a unification match as his next fight.

Yes, he can take that route, but I will say that since Moloney passed the opportunity to fight Donaire as he move to WBO for any easy belt and route, I doubt that the WBC will simply allow Donaire (if he beats Santiago) and got the belt. He might have to defend it against the next rank fighter in the division or wait if there is a mandatory ordered fight for Donaire. So still a lot of options for him if he wins the WBC belt next month and obviously he can go and continue with his career, albeit he really needs to take care of himself and be discipline as he is over 40 years old.
Activity: 2842
Merit: 772

It just happens that Donaire is gifted with vicious power and that will stay for a lifetime. Although he still needs good reflexes, speed, and timing in order to hit his target. So as long as Donaire can land his bombs inside 12 rounds then his chances of winning remain alive in every fight. Even the great Inoue was badly hurt and shaken. And it leads to the conclusion that if that was a prime Donaire it would've ended Inoue because the speed and stamina are still there to follow up and the Japanese will never recover.

This is the hallmark of an elite boxer for me. I mean when he was young he just rely on his power. But as he aged, he really works very hard with regards to his speed and timing and that's why he was able to stay that long.

I cannot remember the exact WBC rankings but I believe Santiago is ranked high since he got the chance to fight for the vacant belt? As far as I remember, #1 Moloney went the WBO route, #2 is Donaire, and #3 had a fight schedule last February which made him not available since the mandatory was issued that same month. I think it was Gaballo at #4 or #5. Santiago should be right there.

Santiago is #4, Nawaphon Sor. Rungvisai rank #2 and Gaballo rank #3 (which recently won a fight in Philippines if I remember reading it).

And Nawaphon Sor. Rungvisai vs Gaballo is also being ordered and most likely the winner will have to face the winner of Donaire vs Santiago.
legendary
Activity: 2982
Merit: 1028

This indeed will be the point where he will decide the hang up his gloves or not, depends of the outcome and the reason behind it, because if he can win against Santiago but barely, then I think it's really time for Donaire to let go. Although it's his discretion what he will do next but he surely want to have a statement against Santiago and win via KO to know that his chances are still strong to go for another opponent that are ranked much higher than Santiago.

We will know that after the fight, if he and his camp still see the opportunities and capabilities,

He might take another one before hanging his gloves, or maybe a chance of seeing him content with the outcome and
decide to let the new generations to compete with the title.

Nothing to prove as we all know what he contributed from this sport and how fans internationally known for his
dominance when he is still in his prime.
legendary
Activity: 3108
Merit: 1290
Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform
It just happens that Donaire is gifted with vicious power and that will stay for a lifetime. Although he still needs good reflexes, speed, and timing in order to hit his target. So as long as Donaire can land his bombs inside 12 rounds then his chances of winning remain alive in every fight. Even the great Inoue was badly hurt and shaken. And it leads to the conclusion that if that was a prime Donaire it would've ended Inoue because the speed and stamina are still there to follow up and the Japanese will never recover.
The problem is, Nonito Donaire was much older when he fought Inoue for the 2nd time that's why the difference were so vast and clear that even made the fight end in just mere two rounds leaving the public in surprise, including me because I thought Donaire can somehow make a difference but unfortunately, even Donaire himself was shocked by what happened as he truly did not expect that Inoue will evolve like that since their first encounter.

I cannot remember the exact WBC rankings but I believe Santiago is ranked high since he got the chance to fight for the vacant belt? As far as I remember, #1 Moloney went the WBO route, #2 is Donaire, and #3 had a fight schedule last February which made him not available since the mandatory was issued that same month. I think it was Gaballo at #4 or #5. Santiago should be right there.
Not really the case for Santiago since he is not from the Top 5 and IIRC, he's not even in the Top 10. It's just that Donaire was desperate enough to find himself a foe to make the fight happen while increasing his chance to be a champion once more by picking a boxer outside the Top 10.
Activity: 2954
Merit: 672
Message @Hhampuz if you are looking for a CM!

This indeed will be the point where he will decide the hang up his gloves or not, depends of the outcome and the reason behind it, because if he can win against Santiago but barely, then I think it's really time for Donaire to let go. Although it's his discretion what he will do next but he surely want to have a statement against Santiago and win via KO to know that his chances are still strong to go for another opponent that are ranked much higher than Santiago.
Activity: 1694
Merit: 592
The Martian Child

Pages:
Jump to: