Pages:
Author

Topic: BTC-e hacked ?? - page 11. (Read 199718 times)

Activity: 697
Merit: 520
September 10, 2017, 05:26:23 AM

BTC-e is banned in Russia, like most Bitcoin exchanges. Russians cannot access the .com domain, which is why they used the .nz domain. In fact, BTC-e was originally hosted on a .ru domain; they changed to .com (and supposedly moved operations to Bulgaria) when the Russian government targeted them.

Insiders like Penek and several people over the years who have suggested they know the owners' identities from the launching days of the site have suggested they are Russian. (This was in the context of whether Vinnik was an owner and whether the owners ever would have set foot in Greece -- the answer to both questions is no).

WTF are you talking about?

MaRSe is a huge Bitcoin exchange right in the heart of Moscow!

Huge? I've never heard of them and can't find them listed on Coin Market Cap. What sort of volume do they do?

The Russian government has banned dozens of bitcoin exchanges over the years. Google it. The Prosecutor General's Office even stated that their use was prohibited under Article 27, saying that bitcoin is a money substitute in 2014. There was a fresh list of sites banned shortly before BTC-e was taken down. Can't find it right now because of all the more notable recent news results.

btc-e.ru was registered in 2014, years after btc-e.com had already started trading.

That's just when it was last registered. This would have been years prior to that. They were on both .com and .ru back in 2012. Here's one example of a user using the Russian domain to access the API in 2012: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/need-help-with-btc-e-api-133347

Both domains were blocked by the Russian government. Why do you think all Russians customers used BTC-e.nz for years?

BTC-e admin has written publicly that Vinnik has nothing to do with ownership or running of BTC-e.

I don't think anyone is saying otherwise in this thread...
legendary
Activity: 3486
Merit: 1280
English ⬄ Russian Translation Services
September 10, 2017, 02:54:36 AM

No, I don't know who they are

But this is sort of public knowledge that the Btc-e owners are Russians. It is obvious for anyone speaking the Russian language fluently enough and reading their tweets as well as posts here to understand that Russian is their mother tongue and Russia (maybe, Ukraine) is their home country. They don't (didn't) necessarily live in Russia, of course, but now they seem to have to (pretty much like Snowden, lol)

Once again you jump to conclusions, you assume that the people making the tweets are the owners and not just employees

So what is your point?

If you are going to say that the Btc-e owners are not Russians, then what are your proofs? If you have them, disclose them to us, if you don't have anything of substance, then don't post meaningless shit. I don't mean to say that people who are pressing the buttons here and there are necessarily the owners, but it would be rather strange to see all info related to exchange operation first posted in Russian if the owners weren't Russians, wouldn't it?
erk
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
September 10, 2017, 02:29:31 AM

But this is sort of public knowledge that the Btc-e owners are Russians. It is obvious for anyone speaking the Russian language fluently enough and reading their tweets as well as posts here to understand that Russian is their mother tongue and Russia (maybe, Ukraine) is their home country. They don't (didn't) necessarily live in Russia, of course, but now they seem to have to (pretty much like Snowden, lol)

Once again you jump to conclusions, you assume that the people making the tweets are the owners and not just employees.

legendary
September 10, 2017, 02:21:07 AM
I entirely agree with you

Even if they had placed the servers somewhere in Russia, they would have been quickly seized by the Russian FSB itself rather than the FBI. Btc-e owners seem to be from Russia, and now they have to stay in Russia pretty much like Snowden has. If they travel abroad somewhere, they will be caught just like Vinnik was, then extradited to the US soon thereafter, and serve a solid term in an American prison. I don't really know whether it is good or bad that the owners are now sort of "travel banned"

Why would the Russian FSB want to seize BTC-e servers? What crime was committed in Russia?

What makes you think the BTC-e owners live in Russia, do you know who they are?

erk
September 10, 2017, 02:14:18 AM
If you want to know where BTC-e.nz is located. It's here in Switzerlan:

http://geoiplookup.net/ip/46.28.204.197

That is where mail.btc-e.nz is located ie. their email service provider.

Most people who received their password reset link email a week ago might have already have noticed it came from a Swiss email provider.

erk
September 09, 2017, 07:58:24 PM

BTC-e is banned in Russia, like most Bitcoin exchanges. Russians cannot access the .com domain, which is why they used the .nz domain. In fact, BTC-e was originally hosted on a .ru domain; they changed to .com (and supposedly moved operations to Bulgaria) when the Russian government targeted them.

Insiders like Penek and several people over the years who have suggested they know the owners' identities from the launching days of the site have suggested they are Russian. (This was in the context of whether Vinnik was an owner and whether the owners ever would have set foot in Greece -- the answer to both questions is no).

WTF are you talking about?

MaRSe is a huge Bitcoin exchange right in the heart of Moscow!

Domain names have nothing to do with the location of the servers or the offices behind a website.

btc-e.ru was registered in 2014, years after btc-e.com had already started trading.

BTC-e admin has written publicly that Vinnik has nothing to do with ownership or running of BTC-e.

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196
STOP SNITCHIN'
September 09, 2017, 06:54:48 PM

Even if they had placed the servers somewhere in Russia, they would have been quickly seized by the Russian FSB itself rather than the FBI. Btc-e owners seem to be from Russia, and now they have to stay in Russia pretty much like Snowden has. If they travel abroad somewhere, they will be caught just like Vinnik was, then extradited to the US soon thereafter, and serve a solid term in an American prison. I don't really know whether it is good or bad that the owners are now sort of "travel banned"

Why would the Russian FSB want to seize BTC-e servers? What crime was committed in Russia?

erk
September 09, 2017, 06:24:40 PM

legendary
September 09, 2017, 02:28:41 PM

What's it got to do with BTC-e which was not in Russia?

Or are you just trolling?

Not trolling.. I thought BTC-E was in Russia / Russia based?? (And the US servers and fund in transit were seized )
If BTC-e was in Russia, do you really think the government would have allowed the FBI to seize the servers?
They might as well take Snowden whilst they were at it. Get real!

Activity: 110
Merit: 10
September 09, 2017, 09:20:25 AM
Hey, has anyone received a refund since Sep 6?
Merit: 508
September 08, 2017, 03:09:02 AM
They previously said no verification was required to trade. I am concerned about this answer, though:

"Do I need to undergo verification in order to start trading on a new site?" If the balance of the account on the new site is replenished in koin, then no. If in fiat, then yes.

Does that mean that if you don't take the refund now, and you have your fiat balance transferred to the new site, that you must verify?
I think that's what it means.

No one will have fiat in new site.  You will have coins and fiat tokens.  The question is whether the fiat token counts as fiat.   I think they are only saying if you deposit or withdrawal fiat, then you will need to be verified.  Still waiting for clarification though

They said there will be no conversions once the new site is launched. That means if you held fiat on BTC-e, that some will be returned as "USD" and some will be returned as "USDET." That's what it looks like from the token tab as well.

It's pretty obvious by now that they intend to offer fiat trading/deposits/withdrawals. My gut says that doesn't seem sustainable, but billions of dollars are laundered every day. So, why not? If they can get some minimal level of fiat processing through whatever shady third party payment processors, perhaps some confidence can return. After all, the BTC-e code economy, I believe, was magnitudes larger than the actual fiat deposit/withdrawal volume of the site. Time will tell.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007
September 08, 2017, 02:12:49 AM
I see what you mean. It's a hefty price to pay though.

I've come to realize that anything held in an exchange account can evaporate overnight. 55% back (especially from a fiat holder's perspective) is a godsend.

This is very good news!

I decided to wait claiming the 55% until it was more clear what would be the status regarding verification.

As I only plan to withdraw coins, I think I should be fine waiting.

They previously said no verification was required to trade. I am concerned about this answer, though:

"Do I need to undergo verification in order to start trading on a new site?" If the balance of the account on the new site is replenished in koin, then no. If in fiat, then yes.

Does that mean that if you don't take the refund now, and you have your fiat balance transferred to the new site, that you must verify?

Quoting their website:

What do I need a verification for?
If you plan to deposit and withdraw fiat, the verification in required.

Will I have to pass the verification on the new platform to withdraw coins?
No.
erk
Activity: 35
Merit: 0
September 07, 2017, 10:26:10 PM

No one will have fiat in new site.  You will have coins and fiat tokens.  The question is whether the fiat token counts as fiat.   I think they are only saying if you deposit or withdrawal fiat, then you will need to be verified.  Still waiting for clarification though
Activity: 4
September 07, 2017, 09:07:18 PM

If BTC-e was in Russia, do you really think the government would have allowed the FBI to seize the servers?

Where are they based then? Antarctica? And the admins are Aliens?

I thought the people running the show were Russian, and their servers where in the US.

I have also read that they have servers in Russia now or something with the new exchange.

Not sure why the hostility?
erk
September 07, 2017, 08:58:44 PM

Not trolling.. I thought BTC-E was in Russia / Russia based?? (And the US servers and fund in transit were seized )

September 07, 2017, 08:54:51 PM

erk
September 07, 2017, 08:46:49 PM

September 07, 2017, 08:41:32 PM
Activity: 490
Merit: 250
September 07, 2017, 08:16:21 PM

Pages:
Jump to: